Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

Patch 1.2.0 is out now!
Our most Stellar patch yet! This patch includes support for the new DLC 2 mechanics such as Stellar tera and a TON of bug fixes. But most exciting of all, you can now use the Calcdex outside of battle with the new Honkdex feature. I'll give a quick breakdown of the new changes, but you can read the full patch notes here.

New Features
  • Honkdex (out-of-battle Calcdex)
    • You can create as many Honkdex tabs as you want and save them by naming them. This is really great for teambuilding, as you can add all the major threats for a given format and quickly check calcs while teambuilding
    • The light blue background indicates the mon that's currently active, so if you want to switch it, double click on another mon's icon to make it active.
    • You can click on the "Saved" text to manually save
    • We don't support all the functionality of the official damage calc, so if you require more niche options, you should continue to use that.
  • Embody Aspect
    • When clicking Tera with Ogerpon, we now apply the stat boost from Embody Aspect
  • Multi-hit moves
    • You can now manually set the # of hits for multi-hit moves. We also take into account Loaded Dice now.
  • Protosynthesis/Quark Drive
    • You can now manually set what stat gets boosted by clicking on the "Auto" button next to the "Active" toggle.
  • Support for -ate abilities and Weather Ball/Terrain Pulse
    • We now support abilities such as Aerilate, Galvanize, Normalize, Pixilate, and Refrigerate
  • Improved performance
    • We've optimized our code to make Showdex run faster and more efficiently, so hopefully that helps with some of the lag issues!
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed forme change detection for mons such as Necrozma-Ultra, Minior-Meteor & Mimikyu-Busted
  • Fixed Teambuilder sets not auto-applying when they're the only available sets in the format
  • Fixed missing Active toggle in Doubles for some abilities such as Flash Fire & Stakeout
  • Fixed Leech Seed & Helping Hand not being accounted for in the NHKO calculations
  • Fixed revealed Tera types from OTS & !showteam not properly syncing
  • Fixed sorting of Random sets by probability % (the higher probability set is now at the top of the list)
One more thing to note, the Showdown Usage stats haven't been released yet for December, so you'll have to wait a few days for those to come out (hence why a lot of the new mons are missing sets). Thank you to everyone for all your support and patience, and we hope you have a great new year! This was a really big patch that took a lot of time and effort, so we're gonna take a break to work on our start-up this month.

Please let us know if there are any issues and we'll look into them as always. Also would love to hear thoughts on the Honkdex, hope ya'll find it useful :)

the extension bugs incin (usually after pivoting out with parting shot and switching back in incin just doesn't show up on the screen and I had a game where I wasn't able to click a move with it despite it being alive). Error text confirmed it was showdex bugging and not a diff extension

the extension bugs incin (usually after pivoting out with parting shot and switching back in incin just doesn't show up on the screen and I had a game where I wasn't able to click a move with it despite it being alive). Error text confirmed it was showdex bugging and not a diff extension
Oh nooo, that's not good! Would you happen to have the replay for that game? That would help a lot. I'll try to encounter the bug myself for now.
Edit: I just tested it with Incin and I didn't seem to get a crash. So are you saying that you pivoted out with parting shot and came back in on the same turn? Also are you on the latest patch 1.2.0? Would especially be helpful if you remembered what the error text was.
It's really bizarre that Showdex would mess with the Showdown client itself, as we don't touch their code at all really.

Last edited:
Oh nooo, that's not good! Would you happen to have the replay for that game? That would help a lot. I'll try to encounter the bug myself for now.
Edit: I just tested it with Incin and I didn't seem to get a crash. So are you saying that you pivoted out with parting shot and came back in on the same turn? Also are you on the latest patch 1.2.0? Would especially be helpful if you remembered what the error text was.
It's really bizarre that Showdex would mess with the Showdown client itself, as we don't touch their code at all really.
It's honestly really not consistent at all despite it only happening with incin so I'm not sure exactly how to replicate conditions, parting shot pivoting has just been it most of the time anecdotally! I don't have a replay but I do have a picture of the error text. And I'm on 1.2.0 yeah
1704324069923.png

It's honestly really not consistent at all despite it only happening with incin so I'm not sure exactly how to replicate conditions, parting shot pivoting has just been it most of the time anecdotally! I don't have a replay but I do have a picture of the error text. And I'm on 1.2.0 yeahView attachment 587702
We've been testing it repeatedly and can't seem to replicate the bug, which is weird. The error text is definitely helpful, we can look into that and see if we can fix it based on that. But we wouldn't actually know if we fixed it cause we can't seem to get the bug to occur LOL but it's still worth a shot tho!
Definitely if you run into it again, save the replay and send it over, that would help a lot.

Recently, Showdex has stopped automatically showing usage-based sets. (The screenshot below shows an example, where sets and moves are not filled in.) Sometimes, during long games, it will fix itself and begin showing sets, but this doesn't seem to happen except in the longest of games.

This has persisted for the last week or two. I've tried undownloading and redownloading, clearing caches, and updating Chrome to fix this. It still works fine if I manually enter in stats, but it's annoying having to account for that. To my knowledge, I haven't made any changes to my computer that might cause this -- does anyone know how to fix this? (I'm using Chrome, on a Mac.)

1704693374623.png

Still got the same problem on ipad, even auto selects timid as nature for every mon. However it doesn’t even correct itself
You're still using Orion correct? Unfortunately I'm not really sure how to fix it, as I can't even get it working on my end. For Apple, you have to install the Enhanced Tooltips for Showdown app from the App Store, and that's quite out of date now (it's still on patch 1.1.6), so I'm not sure if that's causing issues. Apple only allows extensions to be installed from the App Store, as all browsers are running via Safari in the back-end (even Chrome). We plan to eventually fork over the $100 and release our own version on Apple, but for now, that's all we can offer. Sorry about that, wish I could be more hopeful.

Recently, Showdex has stopped automatically showing usage-based sets. (The screenshot below shows an example, where sets and moves are not filled in.) Sometimes, during long games, it will fix itself and begin showing sets, but this doesn't seem to happen except in the longest of games.

This has persisted for the last week or two. I've tried undownloading and redownloading, clearing caches, and updating Chrome to fix this. It still works fine if I manually enter in stats, but it's annoying having to account for that. To my knowledge, I haven't made any changes to my computer that might cause this -- does anyone know how to fix this? (I'm using Chrome, on a Mac.)

View attachment 589646
Hmm that's strange. A few questions:
  1. What other extensions do you have installed? We've encountered issues with other extensions messing with Showdex. Alternatively, try going into the Extension settings and enable Showdex to work in Incognito mode, and make sure no other extensions can run in Incognito. Then try using Showdex in an Incognito tab and let me know if it still doesn't work (that'll tell us if another extension is causing the issue).
  2. In the screenshot, you're in a randbats game, so usage-based sets wouldn't show up, only the Randoms sets would. Do you encounter the same issue in other formats? (especially non-Random formats).
    1. You can spectate games as well, that works too
  3. Can you load this link? https://pkmn.github.io/randbats/data/gen9randombattle.json

Hmm that's strange. A few questions:
  1. What other extensions do you have installed? We've encountered issues with other extensions messing with Showdex. Alternatively, try going into the Extension settings and enable Showdex to work in Incognito mode, and make sure no other extensions can run in Incognito. Then try using Showdex in an Incognito tab and let me know if it still doesn't work (that'll tell us if another extension is causing the issue).
  2. In the screenshot, you're in a randbats game, so usage-based sets wouldn't show up, only the Randoms sets would. Do you encounter the same issue in other formats? (especially non-Random formats).
    1. You can spectate games as well, that works too
  3. Can you load this link? https://pkmn.github.io/randbats/data/gen9randombattle.json
1. I have the other following extensions:
  • ColorPick Eyedropper
  • StayFocusd
  • Google Docs Online
  • uBlock Origin
  • Basketball Box Scores
It does work while using Incognito mode after changing that setting! Turning different extensions on and off to see what might be causing it, it seems like StayFocused is the issue; turning it off but keeping the other extensions on fixes the bug. (That's a bit odd, since I don't think it's been updated in the last week or two, and I don't have it currently set to block any relevant websites, but whatever fixes it!) Thank you!

(For the record, the other two answers were:)
2. I just tried an OU game; the problem persists.
3. I can load that just fine!

1. I have the other following extensions:
  • ColorPick Eyedropper
  • StayFocusd
  • Google Docs Online
  • uBlock Origin
  • Basketball Box Scores
It does work while using Incognito mode after changing that setting! Turning different extensions on and off to see what might be causing it, it seems like StayFocused is the issue; turning it off but keeping the other extensions on fixes the bug. (That's a bit odd, since I don't think it's been updated in the last week or two, and I don't have it currently set to block any relevant websites, but whatever fixes it!) Thank you!

(For the record, the other two answers were:)
2. I just tried an OU game; the problem persists.
3. I can load that just fine!
Wow that's really interesting, yeah I have no idea what's causing that. They last updated it 20 days ago, so it's kind of close to your experience. I'll try installing it myself and see if I can replicate the issue. If so, we could potentially find a fix for it. Let me know if the issue comes back again, glad it's fixed for now tho! :totodiLUL:

sorry if this has already been done, i dont have the time to check all the patch notes, and i cant test it myself, as an admin has blocked the extention. can you have a mode for the calc so it can give you a possible damage result set for a set of stats in case your opponent has a unique investment spread? if this is confusing to understand, essentially let us know all the possible damage results the mon could give/recive if its attacking/defending stats are any value from a set of values.

hey would anyone be able to help me fix this? tried deleting and reinstalling but it didn't work
View attachment 591295
I've been having the same issue. It started happening yesterday.
View attachment 591487
ah we just figured this out on the Discord, but it turns out, it's due to any named Teambuilder teams/boxes (depending on your Include Teambuilder Calcdex setting) without a format set, which results in a team like this:

SCR-20240112-job.png

don't know why it's happening now, but normally, a format like "[gen9ou]" gets stripped down to "ou" at some point, but "[gen9]" gets stripped to nothing, hence the error. (also it's not just "[gen9]", but any gen; just using it as an example here.)

unfortunately you'll have to look through your Teambuilder & give these formatless teams/boxes a format (no need for team validation), then refresh Showdown :c (also make sure you click on the "< List" button each time you fix a team/box, as shown below, as that's when Showdown writes your changes to your local storage.)

SCR-20240112-je3.png

alternatively, you can set Include Teambuilder to Never for the time being. we'll have this fixed in the next patch. sorry about that!

sorry if this has already been done, i dont have the time to check all the patch notes, and i cant test it myself, as an admin has blocked the extention. can you have a mode for the calc so it can give you a possible damage result set for a set of stats in case your opponent has a unique investment spread? if this is confusing to understand, essentially let us know all the possible damage results the mon could give/recive if its attacking/defending stats are any value from a set of values.
We actually do have a feature for this, I wonder how many people know about it. But basically you can view different EV spreads from Showdown Usage and quickly switch between them as indicated by these screenshots below. Basically, you just need to click on the "Spreads" button above the Nature's dropdown.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 12.44.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 12.45.15 AM.png

We actually do have a feature for this, I wonder how many people know about it. But basically you can view different EV spreads from Showdown Usage and quickly switch between them as indicated by these screenshots below. Basically, you just need to click on the "Spreads" button above the Nature's dropdown.

View attachment 591603View attachment 591604
cool. new question. how have you not gotten a badge yet? this is such a useful feature that you made over a year ago, and are continuing to update. keep up the good work man. you have not gone unapreciated.

I noticed that you saw the post in the OUPL thread BOT Keith. Perhaps a fix can be implemented that avoids ambiguity when abilities provide automatic stat raises. For example, in the attached screenshot, manually clicking +defense 3 times results in +3 in the interface, but the highlighted numbers assumes a +4 defense stat. One can see this by clicking the numbers to copy the calc, but realistically, no one does that. Same thing goes for Ogerpon-Wellspring and Cornerstone with their abilities in tera'd form.

On a sidenote, this extension is truly a huge asset and saves so much time compared to the manual calc, great work developing this.

Skärmbild 2024-01-21 150455.png

cool. new question. how have you not gotten a badge yet? this is such a useful feature that you made over a year ago, and are continuing to update. keep up the good work man. you have not gone unapreciated.
Wow I appreciate the kind words, it makes us really happy to hear that someone's enjoying what we built. Honestly, that's what makes all the hard work worth it and why we continue to love working on it :totodiLUL:

I noticed that you saw the post in the OUPL thread BOT Keith. Perhaps a fix can be implemented that avoids ambiguity when abilities provide automatic stat raises. For example, in the attached screenshot, manually clicking +defense 3 times results in +3 in the interface, but the highlighted numbers assumes a +4 defense stat. One can see this by clicking the numbers to copy the calc, but realistically, no one does that. Same thing goes for Ogerpon-Wellspring and Cornerstone with their abilities in tera'd form.

On a sidenote, this extension is truly a huge asset and saves so much time compared to the manual calc, great work developing this.

View attachment 596017
hahah ya was lurkin a bit & was excited to see a Calcdex in the wild but got the big sadge hearing what happened :c

it's actually a feature of the damage calc library we use (which is the same one as calc.ps, actually!) to auto-apply the boost for certain abilities, like the Dauntless Shield there. works great if you're manually calcing, but once you start syncing with the battle, you get these rare, but unfortunate double boosts, such as the one you experienced. (just recently, we had to do something similar for Acrobatics & all the –ate abilities like Pixilate cause the calc library also auto-boosts those!) sorry about that :o

fortunately we're in the midst of finishing up another release, which includes a fix for this, as well as proper auto-boost handling for Pokémon like Ogerpon & Zamazenta !

but thanks for the kind words (& helping us fix this bug)!! happy to hear it hasn't been a complete fraudex at the very least hahaha :totodiLUL: we thank you for your service o7

Minor bug: if a certain outcome isn't guaranteed in the damage calc, Showdex won't use the label you gave it.

View attachment 593856
That's actually working as intended, the custom label only applies to guaranteed outcomes (1HKO, 2HKO, etc). Our reasoning was that it could be something like "68.9% 1HKO", and if the custom label was really long, the text wouldn't fit and would overflow and look bad. We weren't sure if people would want that.

Hi i deleted all my cookies/cache the other day and the calc still works fine but for some reason the button to open and close the calc that appears on the battle overlay has vanished. Any tips to bring it back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)