Sharing Tutorials/Wikibooks/etc

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
I think it could be nice for the Smeargle's Studio a topic where people could share tutorials, wikibooks, manuals or everything else that could help other people to learn more about art techniques, graphic softwares, spriting, etc. Sharing knowledge can help artists to improve their artwork and help people who wants to learn about it.

The idea is to post here a link to a tutorial, the software used (if needed), the level of skill needed and a short description. For Example:

Blender Wikibook "Noob2Pro"
Software: Blender
Difficulty level: Begginer. (but there are some advanced topics also).
This wikibook is an excellent resource for those who want to start learning blender. It teaches the basis of modeling, texturing, rendering, animation and even a bit of the game engine.

My intention is to organize all the tutorials posted here in the 1st post of this thread in the following categories:

-2D Software (Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel Painter/etc)
-3D Software (3DMax/Maya/Blender/etc)
-Traditional art
-Spriting

I think this can be quite useful here. =)

Good idea Pirika :). I love your Blender art, and I'm trying to learn Blender right now - it's quite hard.

Anyway, as far as spriting goes, The Cave of Dragonflies has an excellent general spriting guide that covers everything pretty much.

Also, PE2K has a thread dedicated to tutorials and guides regarding spriting.

Those are two honorable mentions. I would have mentioned that Wikibook on Blender, but you beat me to the punch ;).

Also, Good Tutorials is an excellent resource for many graphics programs such as Photoshop.

Gimp Tutorials is a great site to go to if you're looking for some neat things to do with GIMP.

All sites mentioned can very from Beginner to Pro as they contain multiple tutorials/resources.

I'm trying to learn blender, but I don't get how I change the three button mouse settings if i have a two button mouse can anyone help?

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm trying to learn blender, but I don't get how I change the three button mouse settings if i have a two button mouse can anyone help?
Non three-button mouse

For single button mouse users, make sure that View & Controls (under "User Preferences" on the left-most drop-down menu) → Emulate 3 Button Mouse is enabled. The MMB can be emulated on most Windows and Linux machines by simultaneously clicking the LB and RB. You'll need to set this up in the mouse settings in your Control Panel. On a Mac, you can accomplish this by opening the Keyboard and Mouse preference pane and enabling Use two fingers to scroll. Recent IBM Thinkpad laptops allow you to disable the 'UltraNav' features of the middle mouse button in order to use it as a 'normal' third button. Alternatively, some laptops allow areas (called gestures) on the movement pad to act as right button click or middle button clicks, and can be set up in the Control Panel in the Mouse Pointer options, selecting gestures and editing features there.

Font: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Non-standard_equipment

Well, I created my first walkthrough today. It is an explanation into the art of Scratch Spriting. I hope this can be useful to spriters in general.
X’s Scratch Spriting Guide​

So, due to request, I have created my first spriting guide detailing my personal method of Scratching. My method is completely different from TCoD’s, so don’t pretend that this is going to look anything similar. This guide uses my Bronze Koffing trophy as an example. This guide also assumes you know how to sprite already, and are just getting around to scratching, and that you are using the standard Paint program. So, without further ado, let’s start Scratching!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Step 1​

Draw it out.​

So I’m guessing you probably weren’t expecting this to be in here. But yes, It is my honest belief that every good scratch begins with a hard copy of the pose and whatnot. Try to start your sketch with a good idea of what you’re looking to draw. If it’s a fakemon you’re trying to sprite, do a few concept sketches first, and get the idea firmly in your mind. Remember, the most important part of drawing is to be patient and to keep a light, steady hand. Only darken your outline when you’re done with the rough sketch. I also recommend, for straighter lines, that you should draw with many back-and-forth strokes, that way you can slowly curve the line, and if you make a mistake, you can correct it in the backstroke.​

Step 2​

Scan and Resize​

Now that your masterpiece is finished, you can scan it. After you’ve scanned it, make sure it’s got reasonable proportions. A variety of sites (even PhotoDraw, if you have the program) can resize pictures, so go out and find one. If you don’t know one, most image hosting sites carry an image editor that can do this task.​

Step 3​

SAVE AS PNG​

Trust me, even though this is the simplest step, it’s probably the most important. If you don’t save sprites as PNG, they’ll lose quality, so even if your sprite is a masterpiece, the compression from saving it as JPG, BMP, or anything else, it will look bad.​

Step 4​

Clean up the Scan​

Whoo! Now we get to the fun part, aka, Spriting!​

Looks pretty grimy right now, huh? Yeah, that’s because the paper has imperfections in it which shows in the scan. And because scanners auto-save images as JPG. Now do you see what I meant when I said save as a PNG? Thought so. But anyway, before we fix that, we need to draw the lineart. So, now we will fix up the outline using the scan as a base. If you had a little too much detail in your original art, and the compression makes it utterly incomprehensible, use the hard copy and figure out what the heck that smudge on the screen is, and adjust the outline accordingly.​

Now that the lineart is there, you’re going to want to erase that filigree. Just select the base Paint White color and fill in with the pencil. If you want to make absolutely sure you erase all of it, color it instead with an easily visible color (green/pink) and then use the Paint bucket tool to fill in the green/pink background with White.​

Remember also that this is your last chance to resize fairly easily. If it looks too big, don’t be afraid to fix it.​

Now, doesn’t that look a lot better?​

Step 5​

Basecoat​

Now, from what I’ve seen, most beginners like to use colors that they created by hand. This is not the way to go. Only create custom colors if absolutely necessary at first. Otherwise, steal them from an official sprite. When you become more experienced, you can start attempting your own palettes. Anyway, once you’ve selected you’re base colors, you’ll want to fill in your sprite with the base color, or the color in the middle of your palette (to the brighter side, if it has an even number of colors). Simple, right?​

Now, I will demonstrate using Lopunny’s, Shiny Staraptor’s, Glalie’s, and Shiny Advance Pidgeot’s colors.​

Yeah, simple indeed.​

Step 6​

Finish the job.​

Now you’ll finish the job by shading in the entire thing. Another part which requires patience, Shading can take up the better part of an hour. Just remember to make sure it looks natural. Remember that in Pokemon, the light source is always from the upper left, towards the way the Pokemon is facing. Also, make sure the outline isn’t all black. Where the black is directed at the Sun, use the darkest shade of (adjacent color) that you have. Otherwise, it will look less official, and lack a quality that official sprites have.​

Here is the finished product:​

Now, it is time for the most important step: Step 7!​

Step 7​

BRAG!​

You may now show off your work with pride. I actually wasn’t joking about this being important, though. If you show off your sprite around an experienced community, they WILL give criticisms, which WILL make you better; if you listen and try to fix what you did wrong/ could do better, you will get better. Heck, I evolved from criticisms, and developed my own method of Scratching from them. Honest. So remember, learn from your mistakes, everyone!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So, I hope you guys liked my first guide and found it useful. If you have any criticisms, tell me, and I will fix my guide, and hopefully make it better.​

I will prob. try to make more like this in the future, which will also be posted here. So, there's something for you guys to look forward to. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)