ORAS NU Sceptile is f*cking broken ban it plz (NU Offense)

So I'm making a team for the Sceptile suspect test, and I want to know if this is any good or not. Also, keep in mind this is from the Sceptile meta; if Sceptile is banned (which it probably will be), I'll have to post a new thread.

THE TEAM
sceptile.gif

Sceptile @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Ah yes, the big cheese himself. Swords Dance Sceptile may not be the most popular set, but it's still a major threat in NU at the moment. After a single Swords Dance, he becomes a monster that can outspeed and KO just about the entire tier. But even the best Pokemon have to have some sort of weakness; in this case, Fire-types. So for his partner, I picked another top Pokemon:
samurott.gif

Masamune (Samurott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Megahorn

Samurott doesn't care about Fire-types in the slightest since it can easily take them out with STAB Hydro Pump or Aqua Jet. He also appreciates Sceptile's ability to remove opposing Water-types such as Quagsire, who wall Samurott until it's forced to spam Struggle. Now the only problem is opposing Sceptile and other Grass-types, but I have a solution for that.
pyroar.gif

Fuck Sceptile (Pyroar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp

Pyroar fears taking an Earthquake from opposing Sceptile, but it can take almost any other attack and KO it with Fire Blast. This also helps versus other Grass-types such as Shiftry, who don't really have anything to hit Pyroar with. With Pyroar, Sceptile and Samurott on the team, my offensive FWG core is complete. But now it gets tricky; who am I going to use as the last 3 team members?
piloswine.gif

Mamopig (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

The answer lies in this fat piece of sh*t, which sets up Stealth Rocks and hits relatively hard with its STABs. It also helps with opposing Ice-types, which otherwise wall Samurott and can KO unboosted Sceptile. Its own weaknesses are (for the most part) covered by the rest of the core.
mismagius.gif

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pain Split

The ghost of the Wicked Witch of the East (or maybe the west?) covers the Special side of things with a bulky spread that basically patches up its own weaknesses. Mismagius has great neutral coverage in Shadow Ball (a STAB move that hits everything bar Normal- and Dark-types) and Dazzling Gleam (for said Normal- and Dark- types). It also has decent bulk, but NO HP INVESTMENT to get the most out of Pain Split. Now I need one more Pokemon... but who?
xatu.gif

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

How about the best anti-lead in the whole tier? OK, maybe it's not that good, but Xatu is still a fairly good Pokemon right now. It can deal with opposing hazard setters by sending said hazards back at them, making it easier for Piloswine and Pyroar to switch in. It's also a good pivot, able to keep momentum with U-Turn and get chip damage off with Psychic and Heat Wave. Not the best choice for a team like this, though...

sceptile.gif
samurott.gif
pyroar.gif
piloswine.gif
mismagius.gif
xatu.gif

So, what do you think?

BAN SCEPTILE

Last edited:
Well, you have a unpatched Dark weakness, and a Ghost weakness because only the not-bulky Pyroar can take Ghost attacks. So, you can replace Mismagius by AV Hariyama who can take special attacks and particulary special Ghosts and Dark types like Skuntank, while also answering to Normal types with Fight STAB.

Well, you have a unpatched Dark weakness, and a Ghost weakness because only the not-bulky Pyroar can take Ghost attacks. So, you can replace Mismagius by AV Hariyama who can take special attacks and particulary special Ghosts and Dark types like Skuntank, while also answering to Normal types with Fight STAB.
I kinda don't want my team to be too physically biased, but I'll give it a try.

You have two great special wallbreakers in Samurott and Pyro, so that's ok.
Still, if you're too worried about this, you can use offensive Xatu.

UPDATE:
Thanks to CharizardIsMeh for the suggestions.

MISMAGIUS --> HARIYAMA
To patch up the Ghost and Dark weakness created by Xatu. Also checks Normal-types such as Tauros.
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

NEW XATU SET
Xatu @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave
- Roost

This one is a much better fit for my offensive team, but I miss being able to U-turn out of Dark-type switch-ins with it.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I like the switch the yama, not so much for the reasons he listed but that's whatever.

Anyway, I'm here to offer some other suggestions to your team, such as an alternate xatu set and a set change on sceptile
  • - With sceptile, I think a change to a Sub sd set would be most beneficial. That set tends to give sceptile more set up opportunities and a ton of sweeping potential in the late game. Substitute / Swords Dance / Acrobatics / Leaf blade with a spread of 220 hp / 252 attack / 36 speed with an Adamant nature is what you would run on the set in question. Lets it outpace pokemon in the base 80 speed tier while 220 hp gives sceptile a decent amount of bulk.
  • - Cm Xatu would be a much better fit since it gives the team an easier time versus stall, only change here is Calm mind over U-turn. Life orb in particular doesn't seem as helpful since even on more offensive squads like this you still want a decently reliable fighting type check which give the team even more trouble with mismagius replaced.
  • >
    - let me explain this suggestion a bit. You mention using pyroar as a sceptile check but realistically all sceptile run one of Focus Blast, Rock Slide or Earthquake. You still have Piloswine to threaten it out with ice shard but for the most part it functions as the team normal check so it risks being overwhelmed by trying to check too many Pokemon. Swellow on the other hand is an actual offensive check to sceptile since it naturally outspeeds and can ko with boomburst after a minmal amount of damage. Specs Swellow can also pivot out with u-turn and to give the team give momentum which offensive teams like this certainly appreciate.

Sets
Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave

Sceptile @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Substitute

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Cool offensive team bro, best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)