SM OU SashTran Offense (peaked at 1916/#25)

Hi all, this is my first RMT. I originally made this team over a year ago before Swampertite was released and hit 1800's (top 18 at the time) with it, but for some reason I didn't post the team back then.

Now I have revamped the team for USUM and tried climbing again. I was able to hit 1900, then tilt to 1750, and then untilt get lucky to hit 1916. I'm certain that if I kept trying and was less bad that I could probably go higher, but I don't want to spend that much more time on climbing for the time being. I've been wanting to post this team for a long time and now I finally get the chance to. Note that after posting this team, it's likely that no one will win with it ever again due to its reliance on surprise factor.

Proof of peak:

(I'm 5qwerty btw)

Teambuilding Process
First of all, please don't ask me what I was thinking when I built the majority of this team. I pulled this out of my ass and it worked for some reason. My thought process was very naive at the time so please understand.

I started out with something wack like Focus Sash Heatran because I thought it would be fun to throw people off-guard. The main purpose was for it to get up Stealth Rock.

After that, I added Life-Orb Mamoswine because I knew it could hit hard and had few switch-ins. I also added Tapu Koko with Choice Band because it could throw people off. I also went with a Scarf Kartana, which could just clean up teams after they were weakened. My thought process was that Tapu Koko and Mamoswine could weaken the team for Kartana to sweep.

I finished the team off with AV Azumarill (to check Gren mainly) and Electrium-Z Agility Zapdos. These were AV Magnezone and Scarf Mence in the initial testing stages due to Zone being able to trap Skarm/Scizor/Ferro and Mence acting as a second "Beast Boost" sweeper, but I was too weak to Gren and also lacked a good Special attacker.

The Team

Heatran @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

This is like a standard Heatran set but with Focus Sash instead of a real item. It used to work a lot better when everyone ran no Speed on Lando and you could Taunt and get your rocks up, but it's still fine now. Usually you're able to get your rocks up as your opponent makes some try-hard play with their lead (Gren going for Spikes, Lando going for U-Turn, etc). In some cases you retain your Sash in the lead matchup and knock out a few Pokémon. Versus Excadrill you have to hit Magma Storm or they get up rocks and kill this for free, so that's kind of bad.

My mentality before with this Pokémon was to get up rocks and die. But in some matchups I need to play this like a regular Heatran to Taunt or check stuff. Also keep this in mind if you're going to use this team. Still, this is your lead 90% of the time. Mega Lopunny/Medicham are kind of hard to deal with because of Fake Out, especially Lopunny since the rest of the team doesn't deal with it too well (only Kart outspeeds), so I think sometimes Protect over Taunt is alright too.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

This guy is super strong. I'm running this spread because you can outspeed max speed Magearna (don't know why I did it at the time, probably got swept by Shift Gear Magearna one too many times) while also getting the maximum power. If you can predict right then you can win very easily, but I always play like a little girl so I don't win as much. Freeze-Dry reflects my playstyle since it gives me a safe option for a lot of situations (when they swap Lando out into a Water-type, or just versus Pelipper and junk). I think Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Superpower are all decent options but Freeze Dry is what I run.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Tapu Koko with Choice Band obliterates people who aren't ready for it - it's a pretty good breaker if there are no Ground-types. Sometimes people switch into Chansey and just die. I wanted to try Band because I always wanted to use Koko's great attack stat for something. Banded U-Turn is no joke, since you can either force KOs or switches and still dent the switch-in. It just feels so good sending this Pokémon into a Mega Lati or something that's slower and injured and knowing that U-Turn is going to kill. Brave Bird is for Grass-types that want to switch in (and it's probably the only Mega Venu answer on this team), and is used to put some chip damage onto Ground-types that switch in so that other Pokémon can clean up. I have Defog on here in case hazards get too wild, but I have rarely had to use it. I used to have Quick Attack on here and it's saved me maybe once - last slot is not that important. Actually maybe Toxic/HP Fire/Grass Knot could be a good moves.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

I don't like Kart sets with Defog, so I'm using 4 attacks. This is my main speed control for this team since it allows me to revenge kill non-Scarf Greninja, Tapus, Blacephalon, Shift Gear Magearna, etc. If the opponent's Pokémon are all weakened already, then this probably sweeps. Have to watch out for taking damage on this thing in certain matchups. If the opponent has Mega Lop/Medi or Ash Gren then you have to make sure this thing is at a high amount of health before trying to sweep (can be a bit lower for Mega Lop/Medi, but Specs Water Shuriken does 90% to you). Aerial Ace/Psycho Cut can be run over Knock Off or Smart Strike if you're feeling it.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Azu basically turns this team from utter garbage to less garbage. Without Azu, this team would be so weak to all Special attackers and would probably lose on the spot to a lot of Pokémon (Gren, Zam, Latis, etc.). It also hits super hard and lives some attacks surprisingly well, so it can end up claiming a few Pokémon as well. Its speed is tailored to outslow TR Magearna so you can hit 2 Liquidations and then pick it off with Ice Shard from Mamo. Aqua Jet is super nice because it lets you chip some Pokémon and also revenge kill others. All in all, Azu was just the perfect fit for this team. Superpower can be run instead of Knock Off I think, but that makes it a bit weaker vs Toxapex (not like it was doing much to begin with). I think some EVs from Attack can also be poured into SpDef just so it could live some hits better.

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last but not least, we have Agility Zapdos, which stabilizes this team's offense. Elec/Fire/Ice coverage is just so good versus anything but Ground-types that have no 4x weakness to Ice. It helps the team break through a lot of Steel types while also putting the static pressure on Water-types, which is hard for my team to deal with since anything that beats Water is choice-locked. Static is to hax Physical attackers, so you have a 30% of winning through luck. Elec-Z also hits hard, but people will probably expect it after calc'ing so it's important to play carefully around it - or just let it rip when you send Zapdos out. I used to run Modest in hopes of getting Agility up every game, but Timid is just so much better for dealing with Lando, Lele, Zygarde, etc.

Threatlist

Specs Lele destroys this team (2hko or ohko everything), so you usually have to sack something and then revenge kill. It also has Psychic Terrain so you can't revenge kill with Ice Shard or Aqua Jet, which would normally be the way of dealing with this.

(+
)

Gren destroys everything except Azu. If it's Gunk Shot then you have a bit less to worry about since it's not going to transform (which means Koko will outspeed if it's Scarf). However if it is indeed Scarf then you have to Agility up with Zapdos before it comes in to sweep with Ice Beam. If it's Ash Gren in rain then you kind of lose. Also Rain is hard to deal with as well, especially if they're Jolly Swampert - usually try to pick Pelipper off with Freeze Dry turn 1. This team used to dumpster rain with Agility Zapdos but Swampert cucks Zapdos so now it loses. If you expect someone to bring Rain then use HP Grass on Zapdos.

This beats the entire team if it has Stone Edge/Poison Jab or is tailored more offensively. You lose unless they try to set up on Azu/Mamo or if HJK somehow doesn't KO Zapdos after rocks. Try to Defog if Hawlucha is on the other team.

I don't like this Pokémon. This team loses to Venu unless you can somehow catch it off-guard with Banded Brave Bird. Other than that you have to keep Heatran alive and pray that it doesn't have EQ, or put HP Flying on Zapdos.

CM users like Reuniclus or Clefable require you to keep Heatran alive to Taunt them before things get out of hand.

Also probably weak to Zeraora but I haven't really faced that many.

Replays
Some of these aren't that good.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-795335224
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-795343554
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-798474782
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-800986073
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-800990611
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-801000535
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-801001943
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-801054668
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-801059740

Importable
Heatran @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Ability: Electric Surge
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Conclusion
I think part of the reason why this team works well is because everyone expects this team to do certain things based on what those Pokémon have always done and play differently. Now that everyone knows the team, it may be hard to pull off...or will it? I feel like with small modifications, this team could still be used to cheese people who think they know the team. With some changes, this team can beat some certain matchups, so it's just a matter of who you run into, though there are definitely things that this team struggles with a lot. If you use this team you have to play like an alpha and not like a beta (me) - playing like an alpha will get you pretty far.

Thanks for reading my first RMT. Feedback is appreciated, though I probably won't be using this team again any time soon. I hope that someone can use this team for their benefit, with or without modifications. Ask questions below if you need any type of clarification, since what I wrote may be incomprehensible due to the time at which I am posting. Again, thank you for reading, and have fun on the ladder! (Don't get mad, it's bad for you)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)