RU Player of the Week 4: atomicllamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
EonX / Molk / SilentVerse

I should start doing these earlier........
Hello and welcome to Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent RU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

atomicllamas
Favorite Pokemon: Wooper
Most known for: Moderating the RU Forums
Favorite playstyle: Balance
Most used Pokemon: probably Druddigon
Leer: What lead you to Smogon and eventually RU?
atomicllamas: Well, my Sophomore year of College I was super bored and not very busy (god I wish that were still true), so I started to play Pokemon on PS! for fun in my spare time. I actually started out playing UU on PS! but I eventually got around to trying out all of the tiers, but I joined smogon because I always used the analyses when building my teams and I was interested in contributing to the viability ranking thread. I'm pretty sure my first post was something really dumb about how curse quagsire was really good lol. Anyways, I started posting in NU and RU and joined a NU minitour which eventually led me to IRC. I was a RU and NU player throughout all of gen 5 but RU had a more active IRC chan, so I felt like a bigger part of the RU community. I basically enjoyed talking to the people in #rarelyused and that is why I am still a part of the RU community and Smogon.

Leer: Where does your name come from?
atomicllamas: LOL, great question. No where, there is no reason I am named atomicllamas. I was signing up for a forum (not Smogon) and atomicllamas was the first thing that came to mind, so I just used it as my original PS! name and therefore my smogon name.

Leer: What has been your favorite part of RU?
atomicllamas: My favorite part of RU as a tier would have to be probably the beginning of RU beta, because there was so much crazy broken shit, and the tier was not balanced at all, but it was still super fun cause everything was new (shoutout to Queen meta BW though). As for my actual favorite part of RU, I'd say its the community. For the most part I'd say that every person I've met on IRC / the forums / the RU PS! room (which more people from IRC should go to btw) is really cool and friendly.

Leer: Outside of balance, what are some other playstyles you find particularly fun? What Pokemon do you think are particularly fun to use in these playstyles?
atomicllamas: I suck at playing HO, so besides Balance I play a lot of Bulky Offense and Semi-stall. On Bulky Offense I've been having a lot of fun with SD Drapion, which is pretty anti-meta atm, and also on BO I've been playing around with SR + Healing Wish Mesprit, which has been fun af (Shout out to Mega Abomasnow here too). On Semi-Stall, Golbat and Sub Calm Mind Meloetta will always be my favorites.

Leer: What Pokemon would you say is underrated, and what Pokemon would you say is overrated?
atomicllamas: For underrated I have 2: 1) Everyone talks about how great Cresselia is with its Sub CM set, however they always forget about Reuniclus. Reuniclus is IMO the superior Calm Mind user, and it has a ton of cool options like Specs Regen. 2) Everyone shits on Clawitzer for being slow and not as good as Exploud, but Clawitzer is way more terrifying for Stall to face thanks to its great coverage against common special walls and the ability to use LO instead of Specs to wall break. For overrated, I guess I'd have to say that Alomomola is overrated (by shake). Tt is an extremely strong pokemon still, but it doesn't really bend teambuilding the way that it did in BW2 as there are a plethora of great Special Wallbreakers, and even Physical Set up Sweepers that can get past mola with no problem.

Leer: If you could change the tier in one way, what would it be?
atomicllamas: Well if I had it my way OU would finally take Amoonguss from us and Savior Dog would drop alongside Diancie. If you mean in terms of suspecting stuff to get rid of it, I think the tier is fine right now. I can see why people want a Moltres suspect test, and I'm not opposed to it happening, but if I had to vote on Moltres right now, I'd vote No Ban.

Leer: what part of the tier have you had the biggest impact in? In other words, what do you think your legacy has been?
atomicllamas: guess my legacy is probably "mediocre player and IRC spammer becomes a decent player and RU Forum Moderator, still spams IRC"

Leer: What advice do you have for new players?
atomicllamas: Well aside from Molk's wise don't slap AV on that! wisdom, I'd say immerse yourself in the community, whether its on the forums, in the PS! room, or on IRC. The easiest way to get better is talking / playing with people who are already good and those are the best places to find them.

If you have any additional questions for atomicllamas, you can ask him!
What did you think about this week's interview? And again, if there's a player you want see interviewed, feel free to PM me.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
where did NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY come from?
Well, a couple of us from IRC used to play Cards Against Humanities together, (I'm p sure you played some games with us?) and my IRL friends and I play Cards Against Humanities as a drinking game sometimes and one of the funniest cards is Nipple Blades. Then when Trop, you, and I used to do those random shit tourneys where we'd come up with random shit and put it in a challonge and have TIbot pick stuff, I thought how Nipple Blades would be funny there. However, NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY are much more powerful and had a better chance of winning the random chance tourney. It just stuck around because it forms the perfect trio with Violent Hobo and Angry Midget.

mfk yonce/brit/gaga
m gaga
f yonce
k brit

do you like to kick your smogon friends off rugged mountains
>implying we're friends
I mean of course n_n

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why do yOU hate my PUns so much? ;-;

On a more serious level, are there any NU Pokemon besides Mesprit that you've used a lot recently? Any underrated set on a common Pokemon that you love to use in the current metagame?

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why do yOU hate my PUns so much? ;-;

On a more serious level, are there any NU Pokemon besides Mesprit that you've used a lot recently? Any underrated set on a common Pokemon that you love to use in the current metagame?
Because yOUr PUns make me want to PUke

I've been playing around with a couple of different things, pivot Liepard is a pretty cool offensive support mon with Prankster Encore + U-turn + STAB Knock Off, Regirock I haven't used as recently but its just a really good SR setter and Moltres counter, Gurdurr is a fun mon to use because I hate playing against Sharpedo, and then Lanturn is pretty cool right now as well, as it checks Moltres really well and has really nice typing + abilities + movepool. (PHYSICALLY DEFENSIVE ROTOM-FAN IS THE REALEST).

As for underrated sets on common Pokemon, I like to use Toxic + SR Druddigon a lot cause it lures in random bulky mons such as Alomomola and Gligar that think Druddigon gives them a free chance to support their team. Sub Pass Jolteon is actually really cool right now and definitely should be used more often. Not really a set change, but sometimes when my team is really weak to Virizion I'll run Acrobatics Gligar, which isn't even that bad since it gets knocked off so often anyways.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
n_n o.o

Who's the most innovative player in RU bar myself? (c_l doesn't count)

Who's the most fun to build with?

will FASTRODON THE SUPER SLUG get a mega and if so how many seconds before banned from ru?

What mons would you like to eventually build around Becos they look like they got potential?

atomicllamas

n_n o.o

Who's the most innovative player in RU bar myself? (c_l doesn't count)

Who's the most fun to build with?

will FASTRODON THE SUPER SLUG get a mega and if so how many seconds before banned from ru?

What mons would you like to eventually build around Becos they look like they got potential?
n_n o.o (makeup)

I'd probably have to say that Molk is one of the most innovative players in RU, he ladders a lot and makes a lot of pretty cool teams, including WHIRLIPEDE, the lord. Otherwise I'd say that Omfuga is pretty innovative, he always brings interesting teams and usually at least have of the mons are in NU usage range :o.

hmm I don't really build with that many people, but I did enjoy making LO GASTRODON team with you, otherwise I had a lot of fun building LC teams with Blarajan during SPL, (except he'd kick me whenever I suggested Calm Mind Spritzee even though it solved all of his problems ;-;).

Mega Gastrodon will get a mega with Speed Boost and Baton Pass and be banned from Ubers in 3.6 seconds.

I've been wanting to make a Stunfisk team, but I'm really lazy. Zangoose looks pretty cool to build around right now as well, as it is very powerful, but it requires a lot of team support to make work.

atomicllamas

thoughts on the new megas? :o
VOLCANICCAMEL is gamefreaks version of atomicllamas. (That is also the one I'm most looking forward to using). It will be super interesting to see which megas end up staying and which megas end up leaving the tier, but besides volcanic camel (which will probably stay RU), mega Pidgeot looks to be super cool and fun / balanced.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
how long has this thread been named:

RU Player of the Week 4: nuclearalpacas

for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)