Project RU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, RU is a very new metagame at the moment; it's doubtful that the best possible sets for each Pokemon have been discovered. The point of this thread is for you guys to post creative and underrated sets of these Pokemon. The most common, standard sets are used for good reason, that's why they are both common, and standard. People can use this thread to share creative movesets that take advantage of metagame trends and uncertainty, or underrated movesets which are uncommon, but effective in their own right.

It is important to note the difference between a creative / underrated set and a gimmick. A gimmicks only use is for surprise factor, it is not a viable choice in a competitive match.

Here are some guidelines:
What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in RU, for the sake of using it in RU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
Have fun!

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 184 Spd / 252 Atk / 72 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Crunch
- Defog
- Haze / Pursuit
- Taunt

Many of my teams require defog support and while it faces competition with many other defog users in RU, such as Golbat or Shiftry, it's diverse support movepool means that it can run various other roles. This set is designed to perform many roles for my team. SubCM Cresselia is quite scary to face if it gets enough boosts due to its amazing bulk, but Skuntank takes care of that. With Haze + Taunt, Skuntank can thoroughly check all forms of Cresselia, especially SubCM, which Haze removes the boosts while Taunt prevents it to boost. Skuntank can easily take a moonblast to the face with its natural bulk. 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Skuntank: 73-86 (21 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery and can even combat Hidden Power Ground variants. 4 SpA Cresselia Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Skuntank: 92-110 (26.5 - 31.7%) -- 28.9% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery. The Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Smeargle and taunt before it does a utility move, but if that is not needed, it can run a bulkier spread such as the one I mentioned in the RU discussion thread: EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def. Sucker Punch provides priority for a team and with investment, it functions as a decent revenge killer. It can run Pursuit over Sucker Punch or Haze to Pursuit Trap Smeargle and remove its sash. Crunch can be run over Sucker Punch to be used as a reliable STAB. Its ability, Aftermath, allows it to perform as a fodder if needed to soften up a threat to a team. All in all, Skuntank is a great defog user that can perform many other roles on top of simply removing hazards.

Last edited:
You should replace Night Slash with Crunch. Also, since this thing's primary purpose is defogging and stopping setup, not to mention that you're running only one attacking move, why wouldn't you put those attack EVs into HP or something?

Adding on to what Fizz said, that set isn't really creative. Apart from Haze, it's the standard Skuntank set. If you're going to try and post a set that you claim to be creative and underrated, at least make the one mildly non-standard move unslashed instead of slashing it with something that is, frankly, better. No sane Cresselia user is going to attempt to set up when the opponent has a Skuntank, as it is one of the most solid checks to Cresselia. The main reason you advocate using Haze is to beat Calm Mind Cresselia, which won't be attempting to set up anyway - it will just act as a pivot until Skuntank and any other troublesome Pokemon are taken care of. So I really don't think this is creative or underrated, and certainly isn't an ideal set to post in this thread. What the thread is aiming for is sets that 1) aren't used much and 2) are effective. Sorry but that set is neither.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Stench
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd OR 252 Satk / 12 Spd / 244 HP
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Acid Spray

Bit of a gimmicky set(by gimmicky, I mean designed to utterly shit on one specific thing) anti-Cresselia set. You want max sp. atk, but the rest is either in bulk, speed, or some of each, it's up to you. The center of the set is Acid Spray. Lowers Sp.def by two stages on whatever it hits that's not steel type. While skuntank doesn't have the best special attack, maxing at just 265 with full investment, an Acid Spray drop essentially makes the next move hit as if this thing had 530 sp. atk if the opponent stays in. Rest of the moveset is self-explanatory, dual special STAB, and fire coverage for steel types you can't hit with Acid Spray. I'd suggest Fire Blast because you need to hit those as hard as possible, but if you really hate missing then Flamethrower's there too. You can max out speed, but for the purposes of shitting on Cresselia, you only need to hit 207 to outspeed by one point.

This set handles Calm Mind Cresselia really well provided you can get an Acid Spray off on it before it starts setting up. This isn't a perfect switch-in, you don't want cress getting a free sub, especially if you're invested in speed over bulk, because that +1 moonblast will still hurt if they choose to sack it off for damage after the sub is broken.

Considering trying this set with an Assault Vest on a team with Wish support, and investing in sp.def a little to make it bulkier on that side. It'll miss the recovery, but it'll make it easier to get off an Acid Spray on some things.

Skuntank usually runs defensive spreads, so it's got the surprise factor.

Cobalion @ Leftovers

Ability: Justified
EVs: 200 HP / 184 DEF / 48 Sp.ATK / 76 Spd
Nature: Timid
-Taunt
-
Stealth Rock
-Volt Switch
-Hidden power Ice

Cobalion has gotten even better as a knock off sponge, due to 4x resisting it, as well as superb physically defensive bulk and the ability Justified. However, even with a boost, the physical sets still struggle to damage a huge number of switch-ins, namely slowking, tangrowth, alomomola, bronzong, cofagrigus and gligar etc, the list goes on. However, it has a horizon of utility moves at its disposal and its Sp.Atk stat useable, same as the attack stat. Hence I am taking advantage of a special utility set with...

Taunt is the crux of this set, since freaking trick room is everywhere now. like EVERYWHERE omg.
I don't understand why not many people expect taunt on cobalion - it's as though they expect me to OH U LEAD WITH HIM OH ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS

Things I've screwed up with Taunt:
-Alomomola switch-in to take any attack and wish up
-Bronzong, who deals a measly 30% with EQ
-Reuniclus hoping to set up trick room in my face expecting me to fear focus blast
-Amoongus trying to put me to sleep
-Cofagrigus, who can't do shit to me with will o' wisp and can't set up trick room either

Then I set up Stealth Rocks in their face.

The only thing that this set fails against is well, rapid spinners, and since most of them can't take hits properly I have a Scarfed Defiant (watch out hitmontop) Braviary in the wings to come in for free as they spin my rocks away

EVs outspeed max 85+ mons, probably the new "common" speed tier in RU, while 48 sp.atk has a 90% chance to 2ko 252HP eviolite gligar, which is somehow rampant in RU too. it also has a 93% chance to 3ko 252HP tangrowth after lefties, which is not bad considering this Cob is a utility one. Note these 2 pokemon like to spam knock off, which was also another reason why I used these calcs.

This set has decent surprise factor and can screw many things up, allowing for many switch-in opportunities for teammates who can take hits but simply hate status or hazards.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Cobalion @ Leftovers

Ability: Justified
EVs: 200 HP / 184 DEF / 48 Sp.ATK / 76 Spd
Nature: Jolly
-Taunt
-
Stealth Rock
-Volt Switch
-Hidden power Ice

Cobalion has gotten even better as a knock off sponge, due to 4x resisting it, as well as superb physically defensive bulk and the ability Justified. However, even with a boost, the physical sets still struggle to damage a huge number of switch-ins, namely slowking, tangrowth, alomomola, bronzong, cofagrigus and gligar etc, the list goes on. However, it has a horizon of utility moves at its disposal and its Sp.Atk stat useable, same as the attack stat. Hence I am taking advantage of a special utility set with...

Taunt is the crux of this set, since freaking trick room is everywhere now. like EVERYWHERE omg.
I don't understand why not many people expect taunt on cobalion - it's as though they expect me to OH U LEAD WITH HIM OH ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS

Things I've screwed up with Taunt:
-Alomomola switch-in to take any attack and wish up
-Bronzong, who deals a measly 30% with EQ
-Reuniclus hoping to set up trick room in my face expecting me to fear focus blast
-Amoongus trying to put me to sleep
-Cofagrigus, who can't do shit to me with will o' wisp and can't set up trick room either

Then I set up Stealth Rocks in their face.

The only thing that this set fails against is well, rapid spinners, and since most of them can't take hits properly I have a Scarfed Defiant (watch out hitmontop) Braviary in the wings to come in for free as they spin my rocks away

EVs outspeed max 85+ mons, probably the new "common" speed tier in RU, while 48 sp.atk has a 90% chance to 2ko 252HP eviolite gligar, which is somehow rampant in RU too. it also has a 93% chance to 3ko 252HP tangrowth after lefties, which is not bad considering this Cob is a utility one. Note these 2 pokemon like to spam knock off, which was also another reason why I used these calcs.

This set has decent surprise factor and can screw many things up, allowing for many switch-in opportunities for teammates who can take hits but simply hate status or hazards.
From what I've seen, taunt is common fare on cobalion. Also alomomola can still regain most lost health by switching w/ regenerator.
Putting taunt out against reuniclus is a dumb move if it wasn't on a switch because it could easily expect tht mess and just fblast.
You still can't do jack to Cofagrigus, and it still hits reasonably hard with shadow ball/hp fight.
Not to bash the set, and I do like the HP Ice Lure, but taunt is common from my exp. , and you didn't give very good examples of why taunt is useful. Maybe something more along the lines of taunt to screw with these things, then vswitch out into something that walls them would be a better explanation. I personally think the HP ice lure on kobe-a-lion would be much more interesting. [reserving for post later]

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 188 Atk / 184 SAtk / 136 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Probably the best late game sweeper in rarelyused. Mostly due to its gargantuan base attack stat and respectable base special attack stat. Some credit goes to its ability, that increases its speed after every turn eventually pushing him to sonic levels. Sharpedo is very frail and weak to priority which limits him to mid-late game when his checks and counters have been eliminated and/or worn down. Since you've eliminated the priority users and Sharpedo gains speed boost after every turn, there's no longer a need for a priority move. Sharpedo also has difficulty getting passed bulky grass types. Here's where swapping Ice Beam for Aqua Jet comes in handy. Now the only things that may get in the way at this point are bulky defensive pokemon, like Tangrowth, like Amoonguss, like Gourgeist, and Rotom-C.

184 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 338-398 (83.6 - 98.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
184 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 247-291 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
184 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-C: 185-218 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (scarfed)
184 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Amoonguss: 205-242 (47.4 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

There's enough speed evs to ensure Sharpedo outspeeds everything after two turns (I may be wrong though I didn't test everything). Also with that amount of evs invested in special attack, Hydro Pump is more powerful than Waterfall. Which is why I replaced Waterfall, but you could use either, it's your decision.

You get the point. Ice Beam allows Sharpedo to get rid of its own counters.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
SAY MELO TO YOUR NEW HERO
Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Psyshock/Psychic/Hyper Voice
- Knock Off
- Perish Song/Heal Bell
- U-turn

I have not finalized the EVs atm, but you understand the gist. If you don't well, I'll Explain
This is a specially defensive pivot meloetta. Sporting extremely overlooked special bulk, meloetta checks in as one of the bulkiest special tanks at RU. What is it's purpose? Tank
hits and disrupt sweeps. Here's to explain the moveset

Psyshock/Psychic- Obligatory STAB, used to hit pretty hard, even off an uninvested base 128 S.Atk. You can also run hyper voice here, as you do have a dark move to hit Ghosts, although it won't be hitting very hard anytime soon

Knock Off-The ultimate utility move in XY. This move is used to take off pesky items due to the amount of switches this thing forces because most people assume it's offensive.

Perish Song-This was my basis behind this meloetta set. Perish Song breaks many setup sweepers who try to stall-break, such as CM Cresselia, CM Reuniclus, TR NP Cofag, etc.. and it's bulky enough to even take a single boosted physical hit and force a sweeper out. Here are some Calcs

+6 4 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 124-146 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 4 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 339-399 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 4 SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 329-387 (81.4 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-This meloetta is the ultimate failsafe. If you screw up and let something set up beyond your control, this can handle it.

U-Turn-This Provides a slow switching move to get into something optimal if meloetta is in a pickle.

other possible moves include:
Heal Bell
Psych Up (ultimate counter)
Protect
Teeter Dance (Cuz R.I.P Swagger)
etc.

I've found this meloetta best used on stall, but it really works on any playstyle if you know how to use it.
TYVM
(Based Meloetta OP)

(TY to Expulso for pun in name) c:

From what I've seen, taunt is common fare on cobalion. Also alomomola can still regain most lost health by switching w/ regenerator.
Putting taunt out against reuniclus is a dumb move if it wasn't on a switch because it could easily expect tht mess and just fblast.
You still can't do jack to Cofagrigus, and it still hits reasonably hard with shadow ball/hp fight.
Not to bash the set, and I do like the HP Ice Lure, but taunt is common from my exp. , and you didn't give very good examples of why taunt is useful. Maybe something more along the lines of taunt to screw with these things, then vswitch out into something that walls them would be a better explanation. I personally think the HP ice lure on kobe-a-lion would be much more interesting. [reserving for post later]
I don't believe Taunt needs much explanation. The thing is, on the ladder right now I'm playing, no one, and literally no one expected my Taunt. If you don't believe me, you can slap taunt on cobe and lead it against any team now.

HAY GUISE~ I would like to suggest one of the sets I was running in RU some time ago~

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Trait: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / Put the 4 remaining EVs where you wish but HP~
Adamant nature (-SAtk +Atk)
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash
- X-Scissor/Metal Claw/Bug Bite/Frustration/...

One of the biggest defensive problems in current XY RU is Cresselia. Although on its own the Lunar Pokemon does not have a significant offensive presence on its own, it surely is defensively viable. And my answer was this little kid. It requires some support and prediction to use it well, but if it gets one hit against the opponent's pokemons, then their trainer will probably get confused when it comes to Ninjask since it is doing a job it does not usually do: To Baton Pass Speed and maybe Attack to a recipient that can put the boosts to good use. Either way, straight into the set, this is your standard Choice Band set. Ninjask does not have that much of a movepool, but it is not like it is going to use all of them anyway. The idea is to switch this thing onto Cresselia or another defensively weak pokemon using Substitute, ground moves, certain stat uppers (Cotton Guard would be one of the exceptions) or just a move you would not mind switching into (Toxic if at full health, Stealth Rock when it's being set up, 4x resistances), and attack. The selling points of this pokemon are its typing (Immunity to a common move and two handy 4x resistances, as well as offensive Super Effective STABS against some threats) and the blessing of Infiltrator, which means that Ninjask can actually exploit those Cresselia Substitutes by hitting behind them. Most of the time you will be spamming U-turns, which will become useful also for team scouting purposes. That, and it hits stuff like Cresselia, Tangrowth, Exeggutor, Malamar and what not. Aerial Ace is a secondary STAB that dispatches several defensively tough pokemons, like Gallade, Amoonguss, Hitmontop... Night Slash deals with those pesky Ghosts that think they can take your U-Turn and laugh at it, and the last move is a filler, more or less. X-Scissor provides a more powerful bug STAB attack, Bug Bite would be helpful if something with a Berry gets in your way (Like having issues with Belly Drum Sitrus Berry Unburden Slurpuff or pinch berry Unburden Hitmonlee, but it is really situational and not advised), Metal Claw is a poor attempt to destroy stuff like Rhyperior or anything Ninjask should just avoid sitting in front of. Last, but not least, is the speed of this little bug. 419 (Max speed without a positive nature) is not exactly a good number, it gets outsped by some Scarf users such as Cinccino or Zoroark, or by Sharpedo after one Speed Boost, but otherwise, it is nigh untouchable without priority (Either by hard hitting or by getting away with U-turn). The EV spread is the basic one and the remaining 4 EVs are to be placed anywhere but in HP because the EVs in HP would mean that its HP would be an even number, therefore being destroyed quickly by Stealth Rock.
How do you support this Ninjask? Well, Ninjask does take little damage (For a frail pokemon) from Grass and Fighting moves, but it gets severely hurt by rock moves and Stealth Rock. That said, Rapid Spin/Defog support would be mandatory. Rapid Spin is preferred for the following reason: Ninjask enjoys the fact that its opponent has entry hazards on their side of the field, they make a significant difference when scoring important hits. And then, the new overused movement of this generation: Knock Off. That move has three purposes regarding Ninjask efficiency, which are removing Leftovers recovery, removing Eviolite and removing Scarves from opponent pokemon so Ninjask can just outspeed everything else. There's also the big problem of priority. Priority moves not called Mach Punch nor Vacuum Wave hurt this little bug. And besides all of this, the only two pokemon that can reliably outspeed Ninjask are Timid Accelgor and Sharpedo after one Speed Boost.
Now, some calculations to see that this is not just another gimmicky set:

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 186-222 (41.8 - 50%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Remember that Ninjask is supposed to take Cresselia under a Substitute, so the total account would be a little bit more, still not enough to straight OHKO.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Cresselia: 252-296 (56.7 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
More offensive variants of Cresselia get seriously hurt.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Cresselia: 288-338 (64.8 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
X-Scissor might get the job done after a Substitute.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 182-216 (45 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Of course you're not going to stay after U-Turn, but this certainly paves the way for another hard hit, should Tangrowth not switch.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Gallade: 284-336 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
This means that 104 EVs and positive nature are what Gallade needs for ensuring the 2HKO.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 228-270 (52.7 - 62.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Yes, Amoonguss can not help the 2HKO even with max Defense.
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Hitmontop: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 more EVs and Hitmontop might survive the 2HKO.
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 128-152 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Bronzong 2HKOs in return with Gyro Ball, but not many Bronzong run max defense and positive nature.

Note that these calculations were done with unorthodox EV spreads just to demonstrate the damage Ninjask does. And yes, I suppose there are questions regarding this set.

• Why not Swords Dance over the filler move and another item? By the time I constructed this set, Raikou and especially Shaymin were around the RU metagame and could threaten Ninjask with a SE hit during the setup turn (Or even something else with a neutral hitting move, Ninjask is frail anyway). And I say especially Shaymin because its Seed Flare is a great opening for Ninjask to switch in (252 SpA Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ninjask: 70-82 (26.6 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO). Also, a Choice item makes Ninjask a valid Trick recipient so the opponent will stick with another Choice item.
  • Why does Ninjask not use a positive Speed nature? While Jolly makes Ninjask the fastest unboosted pokemon in the game bar Deoxys-Speed (And it even outspeeds max speed neutral nature Sharpedo after one Speed Boost), it still fails to outspeed max speed positive nature Sharpedo after one Speed Boost. Also, Ninjask has only base 90 Attack, so it needs all the power it can get without boosts.
  • The calcs you display do not show any reliable OHKO. Why should I use it? I explained most of the use of Ninjask as something that physically creates important holes against certain defensive stuff. Just imagine what it could do against weaker stuff that doesn't outspeed it such as Meloetta, Cinccino, Malamar, Ambipom, Smeargle, Leavanny, Zoroark... and not to mention that U-turn both punches a hole and gives you the upper hand by placing something else to deal the (Possible) final blow. And remember I mentioned that Ninjask likes entry hazards on your opponent's side.
  • Ninjask does not deal with stuff like Rhyperior or Registeel. Why should I use it? Pokemon is a game where you build a team that can deal with several other pokemon. In your team you should have something else to deal with such bulky stuff. Ninjask punches notable holes on certain stuff, but do not expect it to destroy gargantuan defenses, there are other pokemon for that, such as Slaking.
  • Offensively speaking, what are good pokemon to pair with Ninjask? I've had excellent results with Scarf Zoroark also running U-turn. Most notably using it as a lead and Ninjask as last, to make Illusion work accordingly. Priority users also finish the job cleanly after a U-turn should the opponent pokemon survive.
  • Why not a Life Orb version? Good luck with that. You will either want a turn of setup (Swords Dance, which will create an opening for the opponent to attack directly) or just start attacking (And some good switches might kill Ninjask quickly, given there are pokemon such as Ferroseed or Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet Druddigon, or just the Life Orb recoil). If there is no setup, you will lack power.
  • Why do you not use Speed Boost? Ninjask gets Baton Pass to use along with Speed Boost, so the standard support oriented version is advised (And it is so sad that U-turn does not pass the boosts while you switch). Also, Infiltrator bypasses Substitute (Which is one of the main selling points of this set, given there is stuff like SubCM Cresselia), and also Reflect.
  • Why did you choose Ninjask anyway? Why not? It certainly is not one of my favorite pokemon, but it has done good for me (And others) and it also packs the surprise factor.

Last edited:
Hurricane (Hitmonchan) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Very fun to play with, once physical threats are removed, it can take a lot of special hits and cleanup real good.

252+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 135-159 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 224-264 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Assault Vest Hitmochan is not underrated or creative. It's definitely not worth using over it's counterparts Lee and Hitmontop. It was actually placed in the "What not to use" section of the RU team building thread, by the tier leader. That should tell you everything you need to know about it.

Last edited:

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
If people really want to use Hitmonchan without being completely outclassed they should use this set

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch

Nice wallbreaker that takes down a lot of non-Psychic type cores and hits surprisingly hard with a Life Orb. Mach Punch takes down fast things and Drain Punch hits hard while healing LO recoil. Ice Punch and Thunder Punch are necessary coverage to hit Pokemon like Slowking and Tangrowth. The extra speed is also useful as Hitmonchan is slow as shit otherwise. Please don't use Hitmonchan as if it is supposed to be a bulky attacker, if you want that use Hitmontop as it is much better.

Assault Vest Hitmochan is not underrated or creative. It's definitely not worth using over it's counterparts Lee and Hitmontop. It was actually placed in the "What not to use" section of the RU team building thread, by the tiers leader. That should tell you everything you need to know about it.
Didn't see that. I guess this should be better on NU, then

I only posted because of the success it has on beating unassuming opponents. Everything that relies on surprise factor is considered a shitty gimmick around here. No fun allowed, as always

I've seen Emboar in all different shapes and sizes, from running Choice Band to mixed Expert Belt. However, I'm surprised I never once saw Emboar utilizing its excellent boosting move, Flame Charge. So, I decided to test it out for myself. This was the set I used, and I've found it to serve me extremely well:

Flame Charge Sweeper
Emboar @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly nature
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake / Superpower

So, why Flame Charge Emboar? Well, I kinda suck at explaining things in a paragraph format, so:

1) With Flame Charge, Emboar can reach the speed it has with a Choice Scarf, has more power than a Choice Scarf set, and does not have to be locked in a move

2) Flame Charge can be set up easily, due to the large amount of switches it causes. Just bring it on any Grass- or Steel-type such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Cobalion, you can almost be guaranteed to set up. Alternatively, you can use Flame Charge to kill slower weakened pokemon, or on things you can tank a hit from.

3) Emboar has the necessary coverage to give up one of its coverage moves in place of Flame Charge. Earthquake is the perferred option to Superpower due to the latter's detrimental Attack drops. Moreover, Superpower is largely redundant coverage, but can still be used if you prefer a powerful STAB move.

Now, obviously, Flame Charge has disadvantages, which I found out. Unlike with a Choice Scarf, Emboar does not have an immediate speed boost, meaning that it cannot except to outspeed many pokemon without the Flame Charge boost. If it cannot find a turn to set up, (which is unlikely if you're constantly looking out for opportunities), it is extremely slow and is easily revenge killed. Plus, due to Emboar's naturally low speed, it is outsped by basically every revenge killer with a scarf.

When using Flame Charge Emboar, you must keep in mind that it plays a different role than its Choice Scarf and Choice Band variants. It is designed to be a sweeper, not a revenge killer or a wallbreaker. However, due to its low base speed, this might be quite difficult. Therefore, you should always look out for opportunities to set up a second boost, or try to remove the opponent's scarfed pokemon before attempting a sweep.

Last edited:

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've seen Emboar in all different shapes and sizes, from running Choice Band to mixed Expert Belt. However, I'm surprised I never once saw Emboar utilizing its excellent boosting move, Flame Charge. So, I decided to test it out for myself. This was the set I used, and I've found it to serve me extremely well:

Flame Charge Sweeper
Emboar @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid nature
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake / Superpower

So, why Flame Charge Emboar? Well, I kinda suck at explaining things in a paragraph format, so:

1) With Flame Charge, Emboar can reach the speed it has with a Choice Scarf, has more power than a Choice Scarf set, and does not have to be locked in a move

2) Flame Charge can be set up easily, due to the large amount of switches it causes. Just bring it on any Grass- or Steel-type such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Cobalion, you can almost be guaranteed to set up. Alternatively, you can use Flame Charge to kill slower weakened pokemon, or on things you can tank a hit from.

3) Emboar has the necessary coverage to give up one of its coverage moves in place of Flame Charge. Earthquake is the perferred option to Superpower due to the latter's detrimental Attack drops. Moreover, Superpower is largely redundant coverage, but can still be used if you prefer a powerful STAB move.

Now, obviously, Flame Charge has disadvantages, which I found out. Unlike with a Choice Scarf, Emboar does not have an immediate speed boost, meaning that it cannot except to outspeed many pokemon without the Flame Charge boost. If it cannot find a turn to set up, (which is unlikely if you're constantly looking out for opportunities), it is extremely slow and is easily revenge killed. Plus, due to Emboar's naturally low speed, it is outsped by basically every revenge killer with a scarf.

When using Flame Charge Emboar, you must keep in mind that it plays a different role than its Choice Scarf and Choice Band variants. It is designed to be a sweeper, not a revenge killer or a wallbreaker. However, due to its low base speed, this might be quite difficult. Therefore, you should always look out for opportunities to set up a second boost, or try to remove the opponent's scarfed pokemon before attempting a sweep.
Why a Timid nature? o_O Wouldn't Adamant be better?

Why a Timid nature? o_O Wouldn't Adamant be better?
With Emboar's pitiful base speed, it needs as much speed as it can get. Adamant lets it get outsped by base 108s like Cobalion and Virizion, even after +1, while Timid lets it outspeed everything up to base 120s like Sceptile.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance Doublade yo

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance (this is literally doublade dancing lol)
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak / Shadow Claw
- Secret Sword

PROS:
-
Great typing
- Great Attack
- Sky-high Physical bulk
- Useful priority

CONS:
-
Very dependent on Eviolite
- Slow af

seriously guys, use this, it can sweep teams + destroys stall lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)