Project RU CCAT - Round 5 Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
TRC

Jellicent is cool and extremely creative. Cheek Pouch's Durant is a suboptimal set, Explorer's Hitmonlee and The Lucky Absol's Houndoom aren't really Pokemon one would build around, and Kingler12345's Rhyperior is really nice but fails to outspeed Mega Sceptile at +2, a major problem. The thing that prompted me to choose this over Molk's Slurpuff is that this is far less standard, and also a mon that I have personally never used in ORAS.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kingler12345

Pretty cool set imo, doesn't really see enough usage but has some flaws such as not being able to outspeed mega sceptile after a boost.

The winner of this round is Expulso, and we will be building around Swords Dance Mega Abomasnow n_n

While it had a surge in usage mid-late XY, it's usage has decreased due to the other mega pokemon that have less opportunity cost due to higher speed and better defensive typng. However, it has a useful niche in ORAS of being able to check mega pidgeot, mega sceptile, and even serperior in a pinch.

For those wondering, my vote didnt make a difference because expulso had a fairly large margin over molk.

Anyways, time for the next round of nominations! Feel free to discuss what the most important priorities that need to be covered when building around SD Abomasnow (Stealth Rock user, Defog / Rapid Spin, Fire check, etc) before / while nominating the next team member.

tehy

Banned deucer.
K, so what does Aboma have problems with on stall? (edit: and offense)

Steels;specifically Zonger i.e bronzong. So..actually i could submit some super-gimmick Magnet Rise Magneton, but fuck that

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Surf

Lure in those steels and make them face the music :D Or just torch/blast/surf them down, your choice. You can also use this to pressure physically bulky Pokemon, though the common ones are SD Aboma bait anyhow.

Cool, Mega SD Aboma should be a fun mon to build around.
Here's my nom:

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

If Mega Abomasnow wants to come in safely so it may start sweeping, a U-turn from Gligar would really help it in this regard vs. faster mons. Gligar is also a Defog user which is appreciated as Mega Abomasnow hates having hazards up, being SR-weak with not even Lefties recovery. Gligar serves as a physical wall in general and helps in checking Fighting-types like Hitmonlee too. It also serves in as a switchin to Escavalier which doesn't take passive damage from hail due to Overcoat and can't be KOed even at +2 (+2 252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 174 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 232-274 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock). I think Gligar will be a good mon to support Mega Abomasnow in sweeping opposing teams.
edit- also you can switch into bronzong then pivot to something that destroys it

Last edited:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Serperior's spammable grass-type STAB forces a lot of teams to bring their Steel-type mon, which all are Mega-Abomasnow most common and annoying checks, namely Escavalier, Bronzong, and Doublade, and even Cobalion, so then once they've taken the hit you'll get a +2 boost in Special Attack that makes Serp's HP Fire a little stronger than a Fire Blast which allows it to put them in Aboma's KO range if they are still not even OHKO'd. Teams who carry other kind of checks/counters for this, such as both Specially Defensive Togetic and Golbat often just basically loose to Snowman. Not gonna talk more about Serperior's flaws and viability in the metagame in general b/c it's not the right place, but keep in mind that same goes if you're running Swords Dance Mega-Sceptile over Mega-Abomasnow (even if i'd put Knock Off over Giga Drain to cripple stuff like Choice Scarf Moltres which is Sceptile's best rkiller imo).

Last edited:
Many of Abomasnow's checks are worn down by Toxic Spikes, so I bring to you…

Dragalge (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Nature: Sassy/Gentle
-Toxic Spikes
-Dragon Tail
-Venoshock
-Hydro Pump/Hidden Power Fire

Dragalge has the advantage of resisting Fire, Poison, and Fighting, while Abomasnow can switch into Ground-types, making this a good synergy pair. Dragalge is meant to primarily set Toxic Spikes and so it gets a specially defensive spread. Dragon Tail gets an Adaptability boost and lets you poison opponents more quickly. Venoshock abuses the power of Toxic Spikes and gives Dragalge a STAB move that, on a poisoned opponent, gets the same base power as Draco Meteor without the SpA drop. The last slot is really debatable since we only have one other member. Hydro Pump nails Emboar, Moltres, Delphox, etc., while Hidden Power Fire is primarily for Escavalier, which otherwise gives this core major headaches.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP/212 Def/252 SpD
Nature: Calm
-scald
-volt switch
-toxic
-heal bell

Whenever i use abomasnow i try to fit in something that can reliably switch into its revenge killers take a hit and switch out, in this case i chose lanturn which would give us a solid answer to fletchinder/moltres/ + a good fire type switch in in general, not to mention it can volt switch out on grass types that can give mega abomasnow a free setup.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo, on my phone so this is gonna suck but,

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Pressure
4atk 252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid
Flamethrower
Hurricane
Sleep talk
U-turn

Basically has pro synergy w/ Abomasnow, both require defog support too, so that can be dealt with later. Snowman destroys stall and balance while scarf tres poops on offense.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Gunk Shot / Sucker Punch / Rocks (what do u guys think is best???)

- kill zonger
- take fire moves
- kill other steels
- big damage on pretty much anything with outrage. Easy ice shard clean up
- can't kill mola but that's what abomasnow is for :]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, I think we have a decent amount of nominations for the next Pokemon; it's time for voting!
Vote for the username of the person you're voting for, will be up for 48 hours.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scythe

just make sure to use a simple 4 def / 252 spa / 252 spe spread. tying with opposite serperiors is more important than like, 6 more HP.

Last edited:
lighthouses in theory at least the type synergy is good plus volt switch+heal bell allows M-Aboma to really shine imo ^_^
edit: oops my bad, i only saw the quoted part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)