[*RU*] - Balanced Toxic Spikes Team (with another amazing core)

Hiya,

Well I have yet another team! In practice, this has done quite well on the RU ladder, but when looking at it, I just have the strangest feeling that something is wrong or missing... and thus this RMT was born! Although this was originally supposed to be a stall team, as it evolved, it changed to be more bulky offense if anything. Like I said, although its been laddering quite well (mid 1400s), this team just feels strange, being a mix of half stall and half more like hyper offense. So, onward with suggestions.

I don't usually do a teambuilding process type of thing, but I'll do it this time. I recommend reading this:

When I first started building, I wanted to build a stall team around toxic spikes. So, when I started, I basically had 3 choices I wanted to use:

-Dragagle
-Drapion
-Cofagrigus

There's probably more viable choices, but whatever... Anyway, I chose Drapion, simply because I had never used it much, and wanted to try it out. So now, I had:

Next, I needed something to make sure the spikes are kept on the field - a spinblocker and a "defog blocker", or something with Competitive/Defiant to punish defoggers. Tornadus and Milotic were the obvious choices for the latter, and since this was supposed to be a stallish team, I choose Milotic. Then, Gourgeist-Super naturally became my spinblocker, due to the great defensive synergy between the three. Now, I had my basic core.

Next, I needed a way to deal with poison types, who absorbed toxic spikes, and steel types, who have no trouble coming in on toxic spikes. Dugtrio was a perfect candidate to trap and eliminate these. Then, flying types were also troublesome, being immune to toxic spikes and defeating Gourgeist. I also needed a Rapid Spinner as well. One such poke came to mind that fit both roles - Kabutops.

So yeah. Now, I just needed another special attacker and revenge killer. Trying to fit something that would have defensive synergy, I choose scarfed Rotom-Mow.

And woo! There you have it. Like I stated before, I have a strong defensive core, (Drapion, Gourgeist, and Milotic), but then I have 3 powerful sweepers.

Anyways, here's the descriptions.

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
-Toxic Spikes
-Taunt
-Knock Off
-Earthquake

What surprised me the most when I first used this guy was his bulk. He can easily take neutral hits, and is almost never OHKOed even by the strongest SE hits. This allows him to set up Toxic Spikes multiple times throughout the match if necessary (though it usually isn't). Knock Off is the STAB move of choice, for obvious reasons. EQ is to carve holes in most poison types switch ins. (except Amoongus. Grr)

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-HP Grass
-Recover

Yeah yeah, I know some'll say that Competitive won't be used in the majority of games, and I shouldn't bother with an offensive set. This used to be a standard defensive Milotic set, except with Competitive, but as I played, I realized my team would benefit much more from an offensive set. Even with no investment into special defense, Milotic still walls things like a champ, and still functions as an effective wall. The only difference is that it can hit back hard on most things, usually surprising switch ins.

AFAIK, Competitive Milotic isn't nearly as popular as its defensive counterpart, so people generally carelessly spam defog whenever there are hazards on their side, and do things like switch in Intimidate users (which Milotic absolutely loves). Sticky Web also greatly benefits Milotic, usually much to my opponent's dismay. At +2, Milotic can potentially even sweep, using its bulk in conjunction with its power. Surf, Ice Beam, and HP Grass has perfect coverage, nailing Gastrodon, Gligar, and Alomomola.

Gourgeist @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Seed Bomb

Gourgeist is a great spinblocker and has great synergy with Drapion and Milotic, resisting Grass, Ground, and Electric. Will-O-Wisp helps control physical attackers immune to toxic spikes, while Leech Seed is a generally good utility move. Protect is debatable, but it helps immensely with stalling for toxic and leech seed damage, and has forced out a dangerous threat a countless number of times.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Reversal
-Sucker Punch

Like I stated before, I needed a way to trap and remove poison types that absorb toxic spikes. It also has the benefit of removing steel types that are immune to toxic spikes. While good in theory, I often find that Dugtrio is not doing much in battles. It can often save me by revenge killing things that otherwise kill my team, but many times, it is quite useless once Kabutops dies and hazards are set.

It does its job well, but I might find a better replacement (and I can replace Kabutops too). Then again, maybe not, since its just so good many times.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Stone Edge

Kabutops is mainly here to spin away hazards for Dugtrio, and absorb powerful fire type attacks aimed at Rotom and Gourgeist. With Weak Armor and Swords Dance, Kabutops can also find an opportunity to set up a surprising amount of times, and even sweep. (As it has done on a significant amount of occasions). However, like Dugtrio, its amazing on many occasions but sometimes just does very little.

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
-Trick
-Leaf Storm
-Volt Switch
-HP Fire

Yep, he's my revenge killer. The set is rather self explanatory. HP fire is there to deal with troublesome things like Ferroseed, Durant, and Escavalier that the rest of my team has trouble with. The main reason I choose Rotom-C was his typing and ability, which covered the weaknesses of my team well. Feel free to suggest any improvements/replacements.

Ahem... there you have it. Now, I'd write a threat list, but I'm just to lazy :P. I'd really appreciate any suggestions and feedback! Thanks for reading this!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)