Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

• Ungodly typing. 8 resistances that are both good and unique packaged together and an immunity to ground makes it wall many relevant Pokemon.
  • Does not give a single care about what Charizard Y, Venusaur, Talonflame, Mawile, Manetric, or Amoonguss want to do by merit of said resistances
  • Great partner for many top tier Pokemon like Garchomp, Mawile, Amoonguss, Kangaskhan
  • Only two weaknesses is great, but those weaknesses to Rock and Water hurt a lot
  • The Luigi to Rotom-W's Mario. Constantly outshined by his brother by merit of Rotom-W's neutrality to Rock, Water resistance, and easier to manage weaknesses.
  • Really fantastic choice regardless. A recommended choice over Rotom-W if you're a bit scared of Mega Charizard Y and friends.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Will-o-Wisp / Volt Switch
move 4: Protect
ability: Levitate
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpDef
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Thunderbolt and Overheat are your main STAB attacks
Will-o-Wisp allows Rotom-H to incapacitate physical threats
Rotom-H force a lot of switches with its set of resistances which you can take advantage of with Volt Switch. It also lets you get rid of a Special Attack drop from Overheat
Protect is the bundle of useful utilities we all know and love

Set Details
========

The listed EV spread allows you to always live max Special Attack Modest Rotom-W's unboosted Hydro Pump and get to a reasonable amount of HP afterwords with your Sitrus Berry
The rest is invest into Defense. If you choose to speed creep to get the Jump on Rotom-W, detract from Defense first.

Usage Tips
========

Overheat conservatively. It's very easy to see an Overheat coming and a -2 Rotom-H is a much less intimidating threat. When in doubt, Will-o-Wisp or Volt Switch instead.
Don't keep Rotom-H in on pokemon know to occasionally carry Rock Slide or Stone Edge to dispose of Talonflame and Charizard. You'll likely live the hit, but take uncomfortable damage in the process.

Team Options
========

Fits in with a lot of top tier Pokemon fairly easily
Garchomp likes Rotom-H dealing with some of the bulkier Grass-types Garchomp can struggle with
Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mawile all like having Rotom-H as a switch in for Talonflame and Charizard Y
Kangaskhan appreciates Rotom-H dealing with Gourgiest and Ferrothorn and Fake Out from Kangaskhan can buy Rotom-H free time to burn things.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf Sets are neat, particularly with Mega Charizard Y.
Safety Goggles make you immune to Venusaur's sleep which is a common answer to Rotom-H.
Expert Belt lets you get OHKOs on Amoonguss and Mawhile with very little investment.
Thunder Wave, Reflect, and Light Screen are all useful but team specific options to replace Will-o-Wisp for.

Checks & Counters
########

Even though Rotom-H can live its Hydro Pump with proper investment, big brother Rotom-W isn't taking too much back from Rotom-H's thunderbolt and loves switching into predicted Overheats.
Garchomp, particularly with a Lum Berry, can Rock Slide or Stone Edge Rotom-H to a KO.
Specially oriented Dragon-types that don't give up their Fire or Electric resistance with a secondary typing are good. Hydreigon and especially Goodra stand out here
Greninja can outspeed Rotom-H and hit it with Scald, Water Pledge, or Hydro Pump
Other Rotom-H can't kill other Rotom-H awkwardly enough

- Passho definitely deserves a mention in OO for Rotom-W... and probably a more offensive set then
- Mega Mawile as a team option Zard-Y is biggest Mawile counter imo
- Mention in Usage Tips that Rotom-W is usually better... the rock and water weakness can be tough unless Rotom-H is well suited for the team
- You spelt Manectric wrong in the overview
- Rest Chesto for OO if Sitrus Berry is occupied... Chesto also destroys sun... gg Venusaur
- Mention an alternative set in general incase you're not too worried about Rotom-W... maybe enough SpA for Overheat kills? Maybe on like Aegislash it probably has a shot with the right spread
- I guess Discharge could go in OO (does it get Discharge in VGC ._.) its cool with Manectric

Change what you want

When changes are implemented...

QC Approved: (1/2)

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is Calm Rotom-H really used that often? When I think about Rotom-H, I feel like they tend to show a bit more offense presence, as opposed to trying to play itself like Rotom-W. I feel like Modest ends up being seen a lot, although I'm not entirely sure on that one, nor am I certain that there is a common EV spread for Modest Rotom-H.

Something I am a bit more sure about is that I kind of feel like Choice Scarf Rotom-H gets used often enough for it to be considered in a separate set as opposed to just being a mention in OOs. A simple 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP, Modest with Overheat, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power [Ice], and either Will-o-Wisp or Volt Switch for the last move tends to be the set used for Scarfers. going 252 Speed does sort of end up being necessary, since it allows Scarf Heat to outspeed Timid Mega Manectric.

Also, TTar should probably be mentioned as something that checks Rotom-H. Since the boosted Special Defense means that TTar can easily shrug off Rotom-H's attacks, and don't worry too much about WoW if they are using a mix set.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • Why is a bulky offensive set the main? Aren't the faster offensive sets generally better?
  • Also why is Safety Goggles not a main item? It is by far the best user of them as it can then be immune to both Spore and Rage Powder from Amoonguss and - unlike other common users of the item - actually threaten it back while also shutting down the Mega Charizard Y and Venusaur core while taking advantage of the sun provided. Furthermore, it has that neat little perk of being immune to Sandstorm and Hail (it doesn't matter much, but it is still neat).
  • Not that it matters much, but misspelling of Mawile
  • Specs is also another very good set on this thing. I would make it one of the mains
  • With R Inanimate about the Scarf Set.

Would recommend changing to Modest and 140 SAtk to OHKO Careful Mega Mawile with Overheat. Rotom-H is one of only a few Pokemon capable of accomplishing this (it's not something you can do with a random unSTABed Fire Blast, for example) so I feel it's really important that Rotom-H prioritize that rather than taking a very uncommonly powerful Hydro Pump.

All the times I've used Rotom-H I've never had it without a Pokemon that wanted Sitrus Berry more so I did the rounds with the other items. Passho Berry was very good to let Rotom take a hit from Kingdra Muddy Water and go after its partner Steel-type. Safety Goggles wasn't amazing, Wide Lens was convenient because I was running both Overheat and Will-o-Wisp and it patched up the accuracy of both. If something else isn't using Sitrus Berry then Rotom should get it, however.

For all Rotom forms that aren't using Sitrus, 252 HP / 84 Def neutral is required to take Jolly Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know that it probably isn't very good, but you could mention that it is actually possible not to run the "signature move" of each Rotom forme in OO through a (slightly) complex method: making them forget it through the daycare

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
chestorest could be worth a mention if you're using it to check things throughout the match and want it to last longer. also zard x might be worth mentioning as a counter to rotom-h since it resists stab moves and doesn't care about a burn due to its immunity

Martin

chestorest could be worth a mention if you're using it to check things throughout the match and want it to last longer. also zard x might be worth mentioning as a counter to rotom-h since it resists stab moves and doesn't care about a burn due to its immunity
While I agree that ChestoRest should be in OO, I think that its typing being weak to the common Rock Slide and Water-type moves means that it is outclassed in such a role by Rotom-W. Furthermore, Rotom-A will usually have difficulty finding time to rest up in a match, further depleting its usefulness.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TheMantyke
Looks v. solid rn. Only thing I could say is that I think Choice Specs and Charti Berry are worthy of OO mentions as well. Otherwise cool job, good to go for writing
QC 2/2

Probably worth mentioning that Rotom-H requires 28 SpA EVs to guarantee a 2HKO on Aegislash with the Special Attack drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)