ORAS NU RMT - Let's Live in a Lovely Cemetery

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Let's Live in a Lovely Cemetery

Hello all I'm back with another RMT, this time one that is a bit more balanced and is based around some rather neat Pokemon that I wanted to try out. The team managed to be pretty successful for me on the ladder as well as helping me win a Neverused Tournament on PS. I'm not much for introductions so let's just get to the interesting part, with some tunes to hear along the way :]]

Team Overview

Yuyuko (Gourgeist-Small) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

The based pumpkin itself, Gourgeist is a pokemon that I consider vastly underrated in NU, especially the small variant, which can be a pain for teams to handle if they lack a reliable answer for it. I decided to build around this little guy after the Typhlosion and Cameruptite bans given the fact that they were two of its biggest checks in the tier. Ev's are standard, 224 speed EV's allows you to outspeed Pokemon at or under base speed 95 which can come in handy for spreading burns and leech seed, the rest goes into defense and hp for added bulk. Gourgeist, because of its typing, has many useful resistances and immunities that allow it to take full advantage of its moveset. Substitute is great for providing opportunities to use the rest of its moves as well as scouting the opponent for random coverage moves that can hurt it. Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp prove to be an annoying way to whittle down the opposing Pokemon for either Scyther or Klinklang to clean up after. Foul Play makes sure Gourgeist can stop most physical set up mons like the aforementioned Klinklang.

Kogasa (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Toxic

After starting off with Gourgeist, I wanted something that could synergize well with it while also giving me a way to remove hazards since those can prove problematic to the rest of the squad, Mantine proved to be a remarkable option due to its access to defog and exceptional bulk on the special side. Scald and Air Slash make for nice stab that also have useful side effects, Defog is for reliable hazard removal and the evasion drop can help to hit Air Slash and Toxic. Finally Toxic helps to punish hazard setters who stay in on Mantine to stall out defog or anything that can handle its combination of stab moves.

Yoshika (Malamar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

First we had the based pumpkin, now we have the based squid?? Anyway Malamar is such an effective win condition with this variant being my favorite to use. Max Hp and a lot of Sp.Def make Malamar take a decent amount of special hits while also providing a lot of opportunities to set up. Superpower is a no brainer on a Pokemon with Contrary and makes it harder to take down with every boost that it acquires. Knock Off is Knock Off and also gets pretty good coverage with Superpower. Rest and Sleep Talk give Malamar a chance to restore its health and continue a sweep by allowing to possibly get off an attack while asleep.

Youmu (Scyther) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

After creating a group of mons that were rather bulky while also having nice synergy, I figured it was time to focus on the offensive capabilities of the team. Scyther makes a great offensive check to most of the tier due to its high attack and speed along with technician. Choice Band further augments Scyther's cleaning capabilities and allows its stabs to hit insanely hard. U-turn is nice to pivot around and compliments Scyther's high speed, Quick Attack gets the Technician boost and the priority has proven clutch at times. Knock Off hits Pokemon that resist Scyther's stab moves for a bit more damage, finally Aerial Ace is utterly amazing at picking off weakened teams late game, and is a move you can feel relatively safe in clicking most of the time.

Kyouko (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Happiness: 0
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration
- Substitute

My second set up sweeper, its access to Shift Gear in conjunction with its typing means that Klinklang is hardly ever dead weight in any battle I've used it in. Uses the most common EV spread which allows Klinklang to boost up even in the face of some super effective moves while also providing extra hp for bulkier Substitutes. Gear Grind + Frustration is the pinnacle of the coverage moves Klinklang receives, but can be very dangerous after one or two boosts.

Ten Desires (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Roar

Finally, in order to finish up the team, I still needed a rocks setter as well as a check to burds. This slot originally was a Regirock, but after some testing I found the electric immunity much more useful than the extra utility Regirock offered. Max HP along with 240 Sp.Def help increase its overall bulk, while the slight investment in attack along with an adamant nature make it hit pretty hard. Earthquake and Rock Blast are standard moves that help to beat the fire and flying types that can give Gourgeist and the rest of my team trouble. Roar helps with stopping set up mons before they get too troublesome, and pairs pretty well with Stealth Rock.

Poison types are a pain in the ass for this team as I only have Rhydon to hit them for super effective damage, and they can outspeed Rhydon or simply switch out. I'm forced to muscle through them with Malamar or weaken them to the point where Banded Scyther deals with them.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-227422282 - Good fite against fellow horse Kiyo, shows how strong malamar can be as a potential late game sweeper.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-227869033 - Game on the ladder that shows how the team tries to deal with fat poison types, bit haxy on both sides but thats Pokemon for you.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-228775418 - This fite happened once I made the change to Rhydon, featuring an interesting team with even more interesting commentary by my opponent :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-229481191 - Final round of the NU tournament I was in, came down to the wire but fun nonetheless.

Yuyuko (Gourgeist-Small) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 152 HP / 132 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Kogasa (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Toxic

Yoshika (Malamar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Youmu (Scyther) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Kyouko (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Happiness: 0
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration
- Substitute

Ten Desires (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Roar

Last edited:
Hey Bro
Nice team you have here, really well built with good synergy across the board, most of the tier is at least checked by this team, which is quite a feat especially because of how many threats reside in the tier now.
However, with the new tier shifts as well as meta shifts over the pass few weeks, I feel like your team falls weak to a couple of the more scary mons in the tier. These mons are namely Magneton and SD Sneasel. Magneton gets free switches on Mantine and Scyther, meaning it can put immense prediction pressure on your Rhydon, to block a volt switch, or die to a flash cannon. The other threat, SD Sneasel, is slightly more obscure than Magneton, but I can't help but feel uncomfortable, knowing that if sneasel gets a free SD, it straight up wins, no questions asked.

So what I'm going to suggest to you, is a change that will hopefully alleviate some of the pressures put on by specifically these 2 pokemon, making it easier for you to work your way around them as time goes on.
So, I'm going to suggest Scarf Magnet Pull Magneton w/ HP Ground > Klinklang. This may come as a surprise to you, but scarf magneton both traps and kills regular magnetons and checks sneasel with scarf flash cannon, not to mention its another klinklang check / counter which your team lacked, and an another way to hit bulky physically defensive poison types like weezing and garbodor that you listed as threats in your description.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timd Nature / Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

best of luck in the future
~HJAD

yo

definitely go with the magnets suggestion because it helps patch up some weaknesses but theres still some stuff that looks tough to cover. main threat i see is lillgant cause at +1 it beats almost all of your team if mala and mantine are even a bit weakened. Sneasel is also still a bit of a problem because mag cant risk switching in to a knock off or low kick.

To remedy this, im gonna suggest that you run SD Fletchinder > Scyther b/c it provides you with the ultimate lilligant check as well as a mon that can revenge sneasel p reliably and it also provides you with a sick win condition against offensive teams that Malamar tends to have trouble setting up on. It can even run U-turn in the last slot if you want to maintain a Volt-turn core as well as bait in steels for Magneton to trap as well as hit malamar really hard. If you do take the fletch suggestion, you still probably need to prepare for Malamar a bit more so i'd suggest going with Megahorn > Roar on Rhydon b/c Roar isnt really doing a lot and megahorn hits psychics and can check Malamar as well. Cool team!

: Megahorn > Roar

Fletchinder | Gale Wings
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe | Adamant
Acrobatics | Swords Dance | Roost | U-Turn / Will-O-Wisp

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It should be mentioned that I made this team prior to the new drops in May, however the suggestions you guys made will definitely help the team adjust to the new meta and will be updated soon. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)