ORAS NU RMT: A Late Halloween

Hello everyone and welcome to my NU RMT post based around Gourgeist XL.

TEAM BUILDING

I chose to base my team around Gourgeist because it has a great unique typing of grass/ghost and its and excellent physical wall with access to Will-O.

Since Gourgeist can also act as a spinblocker, A hazard setter was a good next choice. I chose Rhydon because of its access to stealth rock (obviously) and its STAB rock moves protect Gourgeist from Fire, Flying and Ice types, while its STAB Ground moves beat Steel types that wall Gourgeist, plus its access to Megahorn can beat Dark and opposing Grass types for Gourgeist as well.

I noticed that Ice types are a Huge threat to my team right now, so I chose Gurdurr to beat them. It has a lot of bulk thanks to eviolite, reliable priority with mach punch, its a status eater with guts and it can setup sweep.

Due to its Psychic/Ice typing, I can Take Flying type attacks for Gourgeist and Gurdurr and KO them in return, Take the Ice type attacks aimed at Gourgeist and Rhydon and Beat the Fighting and Grass types that destroy Rhydon. Jynx is a perfect partner for my team as well as a great revenge killer.

Magmortar is my special wall that can take Ice type attacks as well, and unlike Jynx, can KO then in return. He can also beat the Bug and Steel types that wall Jynx and the Grass types that destroy Rhydon, but unfortunately, cant beat the Water types.

But that's were Pelipper comes in, my Hazard remover. This thing not only beats the Ground types that hit Rhydon and Magmortar hard, but it is also immune to their STAB attacks. Pelipper also resists the Water and Fighting types that beat them as well. Also I needed a defogger to get rid of the rocks for Jynx, Magmortar and well... Itself.

The Team

Truffles (Gourgeist-Super) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

Will-O-Wisp allows Gourgeist to be an even bigger physical wall by crippling and whittling down foes. Leech seed allows her to further stall foes and can stall fire types that can swap in on a Will-O. Synthesis gives Gourgeist a source of reliable recovery so it can take more hits for my team. Seed bomb is a strong STAB Grass attack that allows her to beat opposing Water, Rock and Ground type threats. A Colbur berry is use to allow Gourgeist to comfortably take a Knock off and get a Will-O off in return, while Leftovers can be used for some passive recovery. Frisk lets Gourgeist scout out the opponents item while the EV spread gives her maximum DEF and HP to take a lot of physical attacks.

First! (Rhydon) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Stealth rock grants chip damage to all opponents who switch in and let Rhydon of his team mates score some KOs. Rock blast gives Rhydon the ability to break opponents sturdy, Substitute and sash. Earthquake is Rhydons most reliable STAB attack and Megahorn is used to hit pokemon that resist Ground and Rock attacks such as Claydol, while also hitting the likes of Mesprit, Musharna and Malamar. Eviolite along with his EVs help to give him as much special bulk as possible, while also to give him enough attack to secure some much needed KOs.

Buggy (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk up

Drain punch is Gurdurrs most powerful and reliable STAB move that allows him to gain HP back from half the amount of damage he does. Mach punch is for priority and revenge killing. Knock off allows Gurdurr to hit Psychic and Ghost types as well as remove the foes held item. Bulk up is used to boost his attack and defence 1 stage each at a time, giving him oppertinities to sweep. Guts is use to absorb the foes status and use it against them. Eviolite with the given EV spread is to let Gurdurr be as offensive and defensive as possible.

Consuela (Jynx) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Psychic is a powerful STAB Psychic attack that KOs bulky physical walls such as Gurdurr and Weezing. Ice beam is a secondary STAB move that beats the Flying types that beat Gurdurr and Gourgeist, the Ground types that beat Magmortar and Rhydon and the Grass types that destroy Rhydon. Lovely kiss lets Jynx put setup sweepers or the pokemon that counter her to sleep. Trick allows Jynx to cripple special walls by locking into into one move for the rest of the match and let her team mates take advantage of it. A Choice scarf allows Jynx to become a revenge killer for my team and Dry skin lets her switch into water moves and gain HP from them. The EVs are pretty standard, making Jynx as fast and powerful as possible even when she tricks away her scarf.

HotShot (Magmortar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Fire blast is magmortars most powerful STAB Fire attack. Thunderbolt is for the Water types that resist Fire blast. HP Grass allows magmortar to beat Ground which are immune to thunderbolt, such as Rhydon and Quagsire. Earthquake helps him beat Poison and Rock types that might wall him. Vital spirit is chosen so he can absorb sleep powders From Pokemon such as Lilligant, Vivillon and Tangela for my team and KO them in return. Assault vest is used to grant him the ability to become a special wall and to switch in to many Ice type attacks aimed at his team mates. The EVs make him as strong as possible, while also letting him outspeed Neutral natured Samurott and Ludicolo. The rest is dumped into HP to let him take more hits.

Big Bird (Pelipper) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Scald is a reliable Water STAB attack that can help Pelipper spread burns around physical attackers to help out his team. Roost is a reliable source of recovery to help him stick around longer during the match. Defog lets Pelipper remove the hazards from the field and take some pressure of the team. U-turn allows him to hit pokemon that resist or are immune to scald such as Vileplume, Tangela and Poliwrath, while also allowing him to pivot out of bad situations and to help gain momentum for the team. Leftovers gives Pelipper some passive recovery. Keen eye is the only compatible ability for Pelipper if he is running Defog. The EV spread allows him to act as a good Fighting and water check.

The Import codes
Wanna try the team out for yourself? Then here are the import codes.

Truffles (Gourgeist-Super) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

First! (Rhydon) (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Buggy (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Hot Shot (Magmortar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Consuela (Jynx) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Big Bird (Pelipper) (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Your Thoughts
What do think of my team? are there any major threats? anything I should change? Leave your thoughts and ideas in the comment section for me if so.

Thanks for checking out my team.

Last edited:
Please, please, never run psychic on magmortar. Its so bad, hitting one mon is not worth it at all, especially since you struggle more with lanturn than hariyama. Remove psychic as an option, and change your magmortar spread to 4 atk 252 spatk 252 spe mild nature

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Gourgeist / Defensive Rhydon / Bulk Up Gurdurr / Scarf Rotom Frost / LO Magmortar / Bulky Mantine

Hey, cool team you got here. Gurdurr isn't something that has seen a ton of usage lately, but it is definitely still a threat with proper support. With that being said, your team struggles against Psychic and other Fighting types as Mantine can get worn down without any kind of recovery. Because of that, here are a few changes I'd recommend to help the team become a bit more solid and support a gurdurr sweep, which I think is a good route to take with this team.

First thing I'd recommend is some changes to the EV spreads and items on some of your Pokemon. Rhydon, for example, should be running a spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD with an Adamant nature as this makes the most out of its special bulk while the attack investment makes it a lot less passive, which can help in forcing things out and setting up hazards. Next, Magmortar should be running an Assault Vest set with an EV spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe with a Mild nature. This not only makes you a better switch in to Ice attacks, it also helps Magmortar better take on common sleep powder users like Vivillon and Lilligant which can be a threat to your team otherwise.
Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

The second set of changes I'm going to recommend will help with your match up versus the various fighting and psychic types in the tier

>
- My first suggestion would be to replace Rotom Frost with Liepard as this gives you a solid check to Common Psychic-types in the tier such as Mesprit and Musharna while still giving you a decently powerful attacker and priority user. This change also keeps a way to gain momentum as Liepard's U-turn allows you to pivot around much like Rotom Frost can.

>
- The last suggestion I will make is to replace Mantine with Pelipper as it is a better water and fighting check to use alongside Gourgeist. The EV spread I'll post under this allows Pelipper to check special waters in the tier like Floatzel much like Mantine can but Pelipper is much more effective in NU as a defogger at the moment due to its relible recovery and ability to grab momentum with U-turn.
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

All in all, pretty nice team and hope my suggestions help you out :]

Defensive Gourgeist / Defensive Rhydon / Bulk Up Gurdurr / Scarf Rotom Frost / LO Magmortar / Bulky Mantine

Hey, cool team you got here. Gurdurr isn't something that has seen a ton of usage lately, but it is definitely still a threat with proper support. With that being said, your team struggles against Psychic and other Fighting types as Mantine can get worn down without any kind of recovery. Because of that, here are a few changes I'd recommend to help the team become a bit more solid and support a gurdurr sweep, which I think is a good route to take with this team.

First thing I'd recommend is some changes to the EV spreads and items on some of your Pokemon. Rhydon, for example, should be running a spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD with an Adamant nature as this makes the most out of its special bulk while the attack investment makes it a lot less passive, which can help in forcing things out and setting up hazards. Next, Magmortar should be running an Assault Vest set with an EV spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe with a Mild nature. This not only makes you a better switch in to Ice attacks, it also helps Magmortar better take on common sleep powder users like Vivillon and Lilligant which can be a threat to your team otherwise.
Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

The second set of changes I'm going to recommend will help with your match up versus the various fighting and psychic types in the tier

>
- My first suggestion would be to replace Rotom Frost with Liepard as this gives you a solid check to Common Psychic-types in the tier such as Mesprit and Musharna while still giving you a decently powerful attacker and priority user. This change also keeps a way to gain momentum as Liepard's U-turn allows you to pivot around much like Rotom Frost can.

>
- The last suggestion I will make is to replace Mantine with Pelipper as it is a better water and fighting check to use alongside Gourgeist. The EV spread I'll post under this allows Pelipper to check special waters in the tier like Floatzel much like Mantine can but Pelipper is much more effective in NU as a defogger at the moment due to its relible recovery and ability to grab momentum with U-turn.
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

All in all, pretty nice team and hope my suggestions help you out :]
Thanks for the suggestions Rapture.
These do seem like great improvements to my team and mainly for the reasons that you suggested them.
I'm gonna go try them out.

hey Evil Weevil,

cool team you have here, its a really solid balance team that utilises Gourgeist, a really underated defensive threat in NU. Onto the rate, and I feel like the most expendable member of your team is going to be Rotom-F. It doesnt provide the greatest speed control in the world, and its defensive usage is extremely limited due to SR Weakness and Ice Typing. I dont agree with Rapture's rate mostly because of his reasoning, however i do understand where he is coming from. As far as the idea with Rhydon and Magmortar set changes, i agree with them completely, they should be reverted to his sets and EVs immediately. My problem mainly is with the Liepard > Rotom-F swap and Pelipper > Mantine swap. With Rotom-F you have (to all extents and measures) a reliable revenge killer, some sort of speed control, meaning he has a check to offense teams which are extremely popular at the minute. With Liepard, you exchange this important (And often overlooked) utility for a shaky Psychic Check (which he doesnt need) and unreliable revenge killing capability in Sucker Punch. Shaky Psychic Check because Signal Beam is still commonly run on Musharna, and U-Turn / Thunder Wave on Mesprit, he also doesnt need one with Toxic Mantine + Gourgeist Combination capable of beating all relevant Psychic Types in the tier. Mantine i feel is also extremely important to this teams defensive core. It provides a special water check for samurott and ludicolo, which pelipper cant do as well as a Psuedo-Grass Type check just incase Magmortar is overwhelmed. Mantine can also function as an OK Secondary Fighting Type check with the following spread; 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe Calm Nature > Current Spread with Gourgeist XL with a Colbur Berry as the primary fighting (and sawk switchin). Also Mantine is more capable in checking Gurdurr (the only one Gourgeist is capable to struggling to) because Pelipper cant hit it supereffectively (with the better U-Turn set) whereas Mantine can.

Onto my part of the rate, and as i said in the beginning, Rotom-F does provide your team with much needed speed control utility, however i feel as if something more effective can be used to amplify the effect. As a result, im going to suggest Scarf Jynx > Rotom-F. The reason behind this swap is so that you gain a couple of vital speed tiers, this is noticeable since the likes of Vivillion at +1 and Lilligant at +1 no longer outspeed the entirety of your team, or play sucker mind games. This allows it to be a more reliable check to the likes of +1 Vivillion and +1 Lilligant. Jynx also coordinates well with Mantine, providing your team with an extra SD Samurott check, and to Pelipper if you chose that you prefer that. Also Jynx has access to Trick and Lovely Kiss, allowing it to designate certain Gurdurr switchins (such as Musharna or Mesprit) as sleep fodder or others as Trick Fodder. Overall, thanks to its higher speed tier, its much more capable as a revenge killer, and has a good defensive niche thanks to Dry Skin. Trick + Lovely Kiss are excellent utility moves should you require them. Finally, im going to suggest a change so that Archeops doesnt get as many oppurtuinities to spam its coverage options and hit Rhydon hard. On Rapture's AV Magmortar set, i suggest running Flame Charge > HP Grass and Focus Blast > Psychic (and Fire Blast > Flamethrower, i didnt realise this was left out). What this means is that, Archeops isnt a surefire revenge killer for this Magmortar. +1 Spe Magmortar will outspeed Archeops, limiting its oppurtuinities to spam Acrobatics / Coverage like EQ to weaken Rhydon, lessening its threat to your team. Focus Blast covers more pokemon than Psychic which is primarily used for Hariyama, which is much less relevant now.

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss

best of luck in the future,
~HJAD

Last edited:
Something HJAD 4got to mention is that flame charge mortar has no reason to run mild, so you should change that to modest as mag never uses charge as a legit kill move. Therefore running mild just makes you easier to kill with priority

hey Evil Weevil,

cool team you have here, its a really solid balance team that utilises Gourgeist, a really underated defensive threat in NU. Onto the rate, and I feel like the most expendable member of your team is going to be Rotom-F. It doesnt provide the greatest speed control in the world, and its defensive usage is extremely limited due to SR Weakness and Ice Typing. I dont agree with Rapture's rate mostly because of his reasoning, however i do understand where he is coming from. As far as the idea with Rhydon and Magmortar set changes, i agree with them completely, they should be reverted to his sets and EVs immediately. My problem mainly is with the Liepard > Rotom-F swap and Pelipper > Mantine swap. With Rotom-F you have (to all extents and measures) a reliable revenge killer, some sort of speed control, meaning he has a check to offense teams which are extremely popular at the minute. With Liepard, you exchange this important (And often overlooked) utility for a shaky Psychic Check (which he doesnt need) and unreliable revenge killing capability in Sucker Punch. Shaky Psychic Check because Signal Beam is still commonly run on Musharna, and U-Turn / Thunder Wave on Mesprit, he also doesnt need one with Toxic Mantine + Gourgeist Combination capable of beating all relevant Psychic Types in the tier. Mantine i feel is also extremely important to this teams defensive core. It provides a special water check for samurott and ludicolo, which pelipper cant do as well as a Psuedo-Grass Type check just incase Magmortar is overwhelmed. Mantine can also function as an OK Secondary Fighting Type check with the following spread; 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe Calm Nature > Current Spread with Gourgeist XL with a Colbur Berry as the primary fighting (and sawk switchin). Also Mantine is more capable in checking Gurdurr (the only one Gourgeist is capable to struggling to) because Pelipper cant hit it supereffectively (with the better U-Turn set) whereas Mantine can.

Onto my part of the rate, and as i said in the beginning, Rotom-F does provide your team with much needed speed control utility, however i feel as if something more effective can be used to amplify the effect. As a result, im going to suggest Scarf Jynx > Rotom-F. The reason behind this swap is so that you gain a couple of vital speed tiers, this is noticeable since the likes of Vivillion at +1 and Lilligant at +1 no longer outspeed the entirety of your team, or play sucker mind games with Sleep Powder. Not only this, but Rotom-N has a much more effective typing, and no SR weakness. This allows it to be a more reliable check to the likes of +1 Vivillion and +1 Lilligant. Jynx also coordinates well with Mantine, providing your team with an extra SD Samurott check, and to Pelipper if you chose that you prefer that. Also Jynx has access to Trick and Lovely Kiss, allowing it to designate certain Gurdurr switchins (such as Musharna or Mesprit) as sleep fodder or others as Trick Fodder. Overall, thanks to its higher speed tier, its much more capable as a revenge killer, and has a good defensive niche thanks to Dry Skin. Trick + Lovely Kiss are excellent utility moves should you require them. Finally, im going to suggest a change so that Archeops doesnt get as many oppurtuinities to spam its coverage options and hit Rhydon hard. On Rapture's AV Magmortar set, i suggest running Flame Charge > HP Grass and Focus Blast > Psychic (and Fire Blast > Flamethrower, i didnt realise this was left out). What this means is that, Archeops isnt a surefire revenge killer for this Magmortar. +1 Spe Magmortar will outspeed Archeops, limiting its oppurtuinities to spam Acrobatics / Coverage like EQ to weaken Rhydon, lessening its threat to your team. Focus Blast covers more pokemon than Psychic which is primarily used for Hariyama, which is much less relevant now.

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss

best of luck in the future,
~HJAD
Thank you HJAD for these ideas for my team, I cant wait to try them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)