Metagame Reversed

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Is Alolem really A- worthy? It hits hard, yes, but it loses to several top mons, can't reliably switch into anything, and is slow as hell. Also, no Galvanize STAB that's worthwhile. Yeah, this seems bad.

Is Alolem really A- worthy? It hits hard, yes, but it loses to several top mons, can't reliably switch into anything, and is slow as hell. Also, no Galvanize STAB that's worthwhile. Yeah, this seems bad.
The meta hasn't really stabilized a lot and the VR only goes from A- to S, so especially the lower rankings can be a little weird. Iirc, Alolem is ranked so high because of how effective it is at trapping and removing Steel-types with Magnet Pull and Fire Blast, while also having a strong STAB Volt Switch to gain momentum on weakened ones. Once Steel-types are out of the way, you can easily clean up with Choice Scarf Naganadel (A+), making the two a very potent offensive core.

Cool meta, simple but effective.

Hoopa functions similarly to how it does in OU, wallbreaking with powerful attacks. It has the coverage and power to break through defensive mons like Toxapex, Hippowdon, Tapu Bulu, with the appropriate coverage using a Choice set or Nasty Plot. The main difference in how it plays comes from the swapped defensive stats. It now has pitiful Special Defense but pretty good Defense, letting it survive stuff like U-turn from Scarf Naganadel and even +6 BellyJet almost half of the time. Best partner is probably a Sticky Webber to help it work against faster mons, something like Araquanid seems viable here. This Pokemon is definitely a threat to look out for if you're using defensive mons, seeing as it hasn't really changed much from standard play.

There are many other pokemon that seem overlooked right now as they haven't changed much from standard play or are just slightly worse but I encourage people to check them out, stuff like Diancie-Mega, Jirachi, Sableye-Mega haven't changed much in terms of stats and could still fill a role and be viable, and things that are somewhat weaker like Greninja, Metagross-Mega and Marshadow still seem viable on the basis of their other great qualities.

What about Zen Mode Darmanitan with Belly Drum? Belly Drum triggers Zen Mode, which gives Darm its great attack stat back, and also drastically increases its bulk

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
What about Zen Mode Darmanitan with Belly Drum? Belly Drum triggers Zen Mode, which gives Darm its great attack stat back, and also drastically increases its bulk
thing is that'll leave you at low hp, and you need to stay at low hp for zen mode to stay active, also zen mode's really slow

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Please add the ev question to FAQ.

For instance...
Q: Which stat should I invest EVs into?
A: This meta swaps base stats, so you invest into the stat you wish to be boosted, not the stat you swapped from. For instance, on a physical Latios you invest into Attack, not Special Attack.

Or something less wordy and better phrased.

Just a fun set I came up with and decided to share.

NO MORE FOCUS MISS (Machamp) @ Choice Specs
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Probably not too viable, but it feels nice to be able to click Focus Blast and Fire Blast and not having to worry about a miss wrecking your life. Hidden Power Ice is mainly for Landorus-T but you can switch it to Grass if you're really bothered by (Mega) Swampert and Gastrodon, or even Electric for Mantine. This set is awfully slow, so Sticky Web or Trick Room is recommended (TR works better with a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs while Webs sets would prefer some speed as well.)

As for Trick Room, Gourgeist could be a decent setter, seeing it now gets to use its best coverage with its highest attacking stat, but I think OU setters like Uxie and Cresselia will remain viable as well. Also RIP Stakataka.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Please add the ev question to FAQ.
For instance...
Q: Which stat should I invest EVs into?
A: This meta swaps base stats, so you invest into the stat you wish to be boosted, not the stat you swapped from. For instance, on a physical Latios you invest into Attack, not Special Attack.
Or something less wordy and better phrased.
Oof yeah, it's the same issue as nature swap in how this is unclear. Looks like this is actually how the implementation is intended though.

Alright, not sure if anyone mentioned this boi yet, but reuniclus is a beast in this meta. 125 atk with magic guard is pretty good, and on top of that it gets dumb good coverage options. Zen Headbutt, rock slide, knock off, superpower, elemental punches, this fetus got everything. It’s gonna be a force to be reckoned with as people start to realize this things potential

Now that I've gotten a chance to play this meta a bit I'm going to talk a bit more about certain mons I like.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

Greninja is viable in this metagame. The main sets I played around with are Choice Scarf and Specs Ash Greninja. Specs Ash Greninja functioned similarly to how it does in standard play and I don't feel like doing a big write-up on it now. There are a fair amount of bulky Water and Grass types that can check it in this metagame but against more offensive teams it can really put in work, especially after nabbing a kill, as it outspeeds and OHKOs the dreaded Tapu Koko.

Scarf Greninja serves as an offensive check to the few present setup sweepers and other prominent threats. It's kinda niche especially when Naganadel can do what it does as well but boasts some advantages. Gunk Shot lets it take out Fairy types, in most games you will be using to OHKO Tapu Koko, but it can also be used to take out Tapu Bulu or Azumarill if you find yourself on the wrong end of a sweep. U-turn gains momentum and chips down checks that would pivot in. Ice Beam lets Greninja revenge kill Naganadel and can also take out Latios, Mega Sceptile, and Landorus-T. Rock Slide lets you be a surefire check to Mega Charizard Y and does a good amount to Mega Charizard X as well, although you could run something else in that slot if you like. This set primarily competes with Scarf Naganadel as a revenge killer but has a couple advantages, mainly that it can revenge kill Charizard or set up Spikes, deal greater chip damage with U-turn, deal with Flying or Ground types with Ice Beam, and always outspeed +1 Naganadel rather than speed tying.

The EV spread lets Greninja always OHKO Naganadel with Ice Beam, and always OHKO Latios after rocks. The Attack EVs let Greninja always OHKO Tapu Koko and max speed Azumarill with Gunk Shot, and always 2HKO Keldeo after rocks. It also lets it always OHKO Charizard-Y with Rock Slide. This set is best run with something that can pivot in to Scarf Naganadel, as Greninja cannot outspeed it if it gets a Speed Beast Boost. A bulkier Landorus-T could be an example of such a pivot.

Golem-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Imo the best Golem-Alola set is Assault Vest with Earth Power. This lets it serve as a check to Tapu Koko in games where steel trapping isn't really needed. Earth Power lets always 2HKO Tapu Koko and can do a bit more damage to certain other things but it's primarily for Koko. EVs let it outspeed Skarmory but you can run a little extra for Scizor-Mega if you like, although it's not really a threat anyway. Even without Specs, Golem retains enough power to 2HKO Skarmory and Celesteela and roast Ferrothorn.

252 SpA Zap Plate Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Golem-Alola in Electric Terrain: 65-77 (20.7 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO. Pretty good stuff.

Sylveon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Dig

I'm surprised Sylveon hasn't been mentioned at all yet. Gardevoir was mentioned a couple times as a physical Pixilate attacker but imo Sylveon is more effective because it can run Quick Attack and an item slot. Choice Band is definitely usable and probably its most consistent set, but the set I'm bringing here works as more of a setup attacker that can lure Toxapex, which is one of the most common Poison types. +1 Tectonic Rage OHKOs Toxapex handily, and the speed investment lets you always outspeed it after a Curse. Sylveon also has very solid Defense which lets it check certain setup sweepers like Latios and Keldeo better, and it also lets it always live Scarf Naganadel's Gunk Shot. Obviously this set kinda sucks against Steel types which is why Golem-Alola is a great partner.

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

I know Darmanitan has been mentioned before but I'd like to go a little more in-depth with it. Stall teams are very viable in this metagame since many breakers are weaker than before, and you may have noticed people running stall teams on the ladder. Darmanitan is immensely powerful and one of the most effective mons to use against stall, handily 2HKOing or OHKOing many mons found there. Although in standard play, special stallbreakers have Chansey to contend with, in Reversed it doesn't take special attacks well at all, and the extremely specially bulky Skarmory is weak to Fire, meaning checking Darmanitan falls to the team's bulky water. Darmanitan can 2HKO Toxapex with Psychic, and while it doesn't deal with Alomomola or Slowbro as easily it can pressure them with Grass Knot. A well played Darmanitan can cause stall teams to really falter.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 199-234 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 265-315 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 367-432 (110.2 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 190-224 (62.7 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Focus Blast vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 619-730 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 199-234 (65.6 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Darmanitan Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Darmanitan Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 231-273 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Against more offensive teams Darmanitan is held back by its poor speed, which is why I recommend running it with Sticky Web support, although a number of mons that aren't grounded are still faster than it. I mentioned Hoopa earlier as a similarly good wallbreaker, and in my experience I've found that its Choice Specs set is the most effective for similar reasons: any physical set has Chansey to contend with. Darmanitan has similarly high power without even running a Choice item though, making prediction easier.

Edit: Here's a good example of how Darmanitan matches against stall

Togekiss @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Aerial Ace
- Drain Punch
- Mirror Move

This is one of the more interesting Togekiss sets I've found. Run as much speed investment as you like. Z-Mirror Move doubles Attack while potentially copying an opponent's move, afterwards you can attempt a sweep with +2 Extreme Speed. Flyinium can also let you use Supersonic Skystrike which can come in handy for situations where you can't set up. Here's some calcs for +2 Extreme Speed.
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Togekiss Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 344-405 (122.4 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Togekiss Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 296-349 (91.6 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Togekiss Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 351-414 (122.2 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Togekiss Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 240-283 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Hustle Togekiss Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So it's evidently pretty effective against offense, especially with rocks turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. The main issue is actually hitting the opponent. I know Hustle says it reduces accuracy to 80%, but it feels more like 50%, especially when using Extreme Speed, which is ultimately what prevents Togekiss from being a top offensive threat. Still it is viable if a little inconsistent.

Last edited:
I've been playing this meta for a couple of days now so I'd like to get this thread moving a little by presenting a team and touching on a few things that it highlights in the metagame.

Some of you may have run into this already on the alt Despacito 7, which I got to top 10 iirc with before giving in to self loathing and stopping using stall. Of a brand of fat, winconless stall that tarnishes many tiers, this team relies quite heavily on defensive redundancy to be able to check the myriad of powerful threats in the metagame. The aim of the team is just to setup as many hazards as possible and chip down opposition teams over time. It's not as brainless to use as it may look, however, as winning some games requires navigating a number of 50/50s to toxic or chip a threat. However, the amount of matchups that are winnable is quite high, and in many circumstances only half the team is actually needed to win. Threats include Hoopa-U (can 2hko most of the team with a tiny bit of chip), rain (team relies largely on tang to check which isn't possible in some circumstances) and alakazam-m (Latias can check once, but it comes down to 50/50s sometimes and if it traces Levitate then you have to toxic stall). Additionally, the answer to anything with Magic Guard is waiting until your opponent gets bored of playing 500 turns in. Happy to answer any questions about the team, give it a try, and if you do and come up with a revision then I'd love to see it

So one thing that playing with this team made apparent to me was the absolute lack of viable pursuit trappers. Houndoom Mega and Zoroark are the only dark types with pursuit that have a resultant base attack of over 100, while non-darks with it are either strapped for moveslots (M-Sceptile) or unviable as is. This means that Psychic types have a drastically easier time, as they no longer have to worry about being removed from the game after doing not much at all, which I think will be quite significant for a number of mons

Defensive Psychics
In normal play, cores such as zard-y + pursuit trapper make use of the latter's ability to remove many good checks of the former. However, due to the lack of usable trappers in this format, these psychics are far more reliable defensively as they no longer need to fear 50/50s with the likes of weavile and Ttar. This means that bulkier teams can rely on these as a more pivotal point of their defensive backbone. In particular, I really found Mega Latias to be a lot more effective than I expected, but reuniclus and even slowbro could potentially work

Offensive Psychics
I feel like these offensive psychics will be much harder to deal with in this format, as many offensive teams may just be tempted to slap on something like a weavile in standard play to at least get a 50/50. However, in this format, that is clearly not an option. Hoopa-U can pretty much get a kill every time it comes in without fear of being trapped in return, Latios needs not fear a 50/50 after a DD etc. with some scarfer, and Alakazam can safely come in and out against it's checks with ease. The level of freedom this change offers these mons is quite underappreciated in my opinion, and I think it might play a signficant role in how both offense and fatter teams develop. The inability to trap hoopa and zam was particularly annoying for my team above as the entire team I just wanted to toss on a weavile or something as a bandaid for these problems.

I've found Torkoal to be great here. It gets base 140 special defense. Throw in an assault vest and you have yourself a great spdef mon.
unnamed.gif

Underrated (Torkoal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Drought
EVs: 244 HP / 96 SpA / 168 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rapid Spin
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

It easily takes care of bulu,switching in on it and ohkoing it with fire blast with the 96 EVs or forcing it to switch out. Darm can barely 3hko it with focus blast/fire blast and Kartana does not want to face it. Calcs below :
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Bulu Dazzling Gleam vs. 244 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Torkoal: 47-56 (13.7 - 16.3%)

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Focus Blast vs. 244 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Torkoal: 103-122 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- 35.2% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Kartana Air Slash vs. 244 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Torkoal: 61-73 (17.8 - 21.3%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA Swampert-Mega Surf vs. 244 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Torkoal in Sun: 78-92 (22.8 - 26.9%) -- 31% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Torkoal: 192-229 (56.1 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

96+ SpA Torkoal Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 320-378 (95.5 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

96+ SpA Torkoal Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Tapu Bulu in Sun: 320-380 (93.2 - 110.7%)

96+ SpA Torkoal Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Darmanitan: 226-266 (64.3 - 75.7%)

It pretty much takes on Darmanitan and checks Bulu and Kartana. Also helps stop a sweep from rock polish Rampardos by living an earth power. You can also live a combo of surf + earth power from mega pert and ohko with solar beam. Along with that it also gets rapid spin for hazard removal.

The only drawback here is the lack of healing which is a big problem, maybe pairing it with a wish mon could be considered.
Combining Drought Torkoal with Darm can also be quite deadly.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7reversed-772101944

Overall I think Torkoal deserves some recognition and just wanted to post about it :blobshrug:. [I feel like the EV spread can be improved]

Last edited:
I couldn't find the answer anywhere so sorry if this has been asked before, but do items like Thick Club still effect the original stat, or are the boosts swapped now?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
When will a suspect for Tapu Koko be put in place? I mean its kinda hard to cram viable checks for it in this meta when all the cool Electric Immunities aren't that viable, and the two best checks (Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth) are so easily played around

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)