Regarding the state of (old gen) Pure Hackmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Generation 6 Pure Hackmons has long stood as the flagship format for the Pure Hackmons community, as it was often seen as the most balanced and competitive version of the format at the time, and the format most feasible for development upon stages of the metagame. For this reason and to have Pure Hackmons represented as a concept on Pokemon Showdown, the metagame was given a permaladder. However, as it stands right now, it's been nearly 3 years since Generation 6 Pure Hackmons stood as a permanent ladder. Personally, I'm very proud of the development it has gotten. Gen 6 Pure Hackmons managed to have a dedicated community of players create various RMTs, consistently able to keep up with resources, and even set up analyses for the metagame's most valuable Pokemon. There have also been notable records made into the format I would have never imagined would be made in the metagame, such as aerobee's 1955 elo + eventual 97.4-97.5 GXE and Arkeis's 97.6 GXE. Additionally, the ladder has been consistently active throughout its entire tenue thus far, reaching a peak of 40k games in one month, while only having 6k at its lowest, which was during the very first month.

Generation 6 Pure Hackmons is in a good spot for an OM and according to the main people actively running its resources and development, the state of this metagame's development is just about complete. Every major form of strategy and the groups of Pokemon found to be consistent (while not outclassed) has been discovered, explored, and utilized to at least a decent enough extent to know everything that's viable in the metagame.

With that being said, I've seen and have been involved in frequent talks over this year about a possible chance to try exploring Generation 7 Pure Hackmons. Most of the Pure Hackmons community has expressed finding its metagame more fun (and arguably more diverse) than Gen 6's despite it being more difficult to find consistency in. A lot of the more prominent members have also expressed being currently worn out by Generation 6 Pure Hackmons as a ladder, for its very long tenure and virtually complete development of the metagame. While Generation 6 is seen as the most competitive version of Gen 6 Pure Hackmons, it has never been seen as the only one, and as it has been for the past several months this year, Generation 7 Pure Hackmons has been receiving an abundance of attention. With this in mind, I've helped set up an opportunity for Gen 7 Pure Hackmons to get a monthly ladder for the first time in its history, and it succeeded. It had over 36,000 games, even despite co-existing with Generation 6 Pure Hackmons for its time. This isn't active enough to consistently maintain both Pure Hackmons ladders without both of them being stunted in the long-run, but it is enough to conclude people were satisfied with the metagame. For additional context, Generation 7 Pure Hackmons was also the first Pure Hackmons format to get a large amount of development on Smogon, and was the initial metagame that led the community's overall success to where it is today. Since the monthly ladder, there has been more interest gauged for Generation 7 Pure Hackmons, including a poll where the general reception was shown to be favorable. I've also seen plenty of requests for Gen 7 Pure Hackmons to be the permaladder, and nigh-unanimous support of it from prominent community members, whether it's in the Pure Hackmons room or the Pure Hackmons discord. This thread is to officially gauge a response over whether or not the community wants Pure Hackmons to transition to Generation 7. Feel free to express your thoughts over whether it should, or whether it should not transition and why. Also feel free to bring up anything else about your thoughts regarding the state of Pure Hackmons.

Few things to note:
Current generation is not an option - It will heavily detract attention from the current generation Balanced Hackmons ladder and is arguably not consistently playable on ladder due to the Revival Blessing + Lunar Dance loop.

Multiple Pure Hackmons permaladders co-existing is not an option - In order for activity to be maintained in smaller formats on the sim, only one variation of it should be ladder at a time. With two or more generations of the same smaller format co-existing, they both become at risk of faulting in its activity.

A reversion in the long-run is not out the window, as I've attempted to express here nearly three years ago. I would be down to let the community experiment throughout several months on whether or not a metagame is right for them, and then revert back if any possible outcry happens (which I don't think will for Pure Hackmons).

As a general metagame comment, does existing for a long time and being stable have to mean it's bad? ADV OU for example has many mons and concepts established to be good and consistent, yet innovation still happens all the time. Though it seems stale in the short term, changes are still happening, like the Moltres and Charizard revivals. Even though I've played Gen 6 PH extensively, I can still find things that surprise me and ways to build things that still work. But that's just the opinion of this 90ish gxe player.

I respect the reason that you have said multiple permaladders existing isn't an option, but I think the two modes are different enough that people would play both. When Gen 7 was the monthly OM, they were both heavily played despite being active at the same time! This could be down to people just playing it due to being time limited, but I think there's a significant element of people who like PH simply playing more games because both were available.

I like both Gen 6 and Gen 7, so if it really has to be one or the other I don't really mind either way, but I would hate for gen 6 to be gone outside of roomtours (which are very hard to get people to participate in!) forever...

So this brings me to another idea which is that if we really can't have both, would we be able to rotate them monthly or something? I do think that Gen 7 is a bit more centralized and thus has the potential to get stale more quickly...

I respect the reason that you have said multiple permaladders existing isn't an option, but I think the two modes are different enough that people would play both. When Gen 7 was the monthly OM, they were heavily played despite being active at the same time! This could be down to people just playing it due to being time limited, but I think there's a significant element of people who like PH simply playing more games because both were available.

I like both Gen 6 and Gen 7 so if it really has to be one or the other I don't really mind either way, but I would hate for gen 6 to be gone outside of roomtours (which are very hard to get people to participate in!) forever...

So this brings me to another idea which is that if we really can't have both, would we be able to rotate them monthly or something?
Rotating back and forth genuinely sounds like something I could get behind, especially because when I hear about players getting burnout they eventually return to the meta after getting some inspiration. Playing the one ladder might help people innovate and think of ideas for when the other one is on next month

Civilsim

formerly hotgall1337
I like this idea because I only started playing pure Hackmons when Gen 7 was the OM of the month, and I really enjoyed it. I've found it challenging to improve in Gen 7 because, even though there are occasional room tours for it, they are mostly dominated by players who are already quite familiar with the meta. I think it would be a nice change to be able to ladder in the format so that I could improve at a slower pace. I have seen other players mention that rotating the two formats might work as a solution. I believe that if either that or just having both formats on the ladder could work, it would be really beneficial for attracting new players. I will be sad to see ladder support for Gen 6 pure Hackmons go, but I think it will be nice to have another mainstream pure Hackmons meta to evolve and develop.

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Gen 7 permaladder should be given a chance – while I concede that in the long run it's not as competitive as Gen 6 its development as a metagame is far from complete and even elements like spam teams have counterplay that's not debilitating to most teams. There's greater variety in strategy/sets than in Gen 6 thanks to Mold Breaker moves, which makes Gen 7 the quintessential Pure Hackmons gen imo. I'd be surprised if Gen 7 became stale much more quickly than Gen 6 did and would welcome a ladder change at the moment.

I love Pure Hackmons. Honestly, I would be fine with whatever choice is made. If it was up to me to choose one, however, I would pick Gen 7. Yes, Gen 6 is fun, but to me, Gen 7 has just as much potential. Worst-case scenario, the choice can be reverted.

“Generation 6 is seen as the most competitive version of Gen 6 pure hackmons”
So true.
Anyway if we do shift to Gen 7 pure hackmons will Gen 6 pure hack be in challengable oms? I’d be fine with it either way but I wanna know I’m not like sacrificing my Gen 6 teams or anything right? As others have alr said I think Gen 7 would be a nice refresher over the previous more substantially thought out metagame.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Yes, the ladder should absolutely be swapped over to Gen 7. Gen 6 currently holds more value as a tournament-based meta and building art form than a ladder, and I'd like to open the doors to a consistent (quarterly? semi-annually?) tournament schedule for it as I believe that's where any future innovation and metagame depth will emerge.

Gen 7 is definitely not the more "competitive" PH because of CFZ shit (huge power + light that burns the sky is just an auto nuke unless you are dark type or a very bulky steel) but it's definitely more fun and I think it's better for a ladder to be fun than competitive. You want a competitive format, go play a tournament lol

I like the idea of having a rotating generation every month as pointed out by other people. I think it would help keep everyone’s mind fresh, while still sticking to metagames that Pure Hackmons players know and love.

USUM PH is definitely cool, and I would love to see a ladder for it. I also think that metagames such as SS
PH and DPP PH could be sprinkled in the monthly rotation. Every 3-4 months sounds reasonable for an interesting metagame change that isn’t as competitive as ORAS PH or USUM PH. This might also help the resources side of things as more people will be playing these new and relatively undeveloped PH metagames.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Maybe I am missing something, but some of the points being made here sound a lot like "gen 6 is more competitive and is even stable enough to have a viable tour scene", and yet despite this, there's still substantial interest in moving to gen 7 anyway? As a non-PH player I'm not sure I follow along with this train of thought. Part of why we made the switch from current gen to gen 6 PH in the first place was to avoid uncompetitive elements (like the 65K HP thing), so I guess from a tiering perspective it concerns me that we might be looking to go back to another potentially uncompetitive metagame.

From the angle of an active PH player, what's the relative likelihood of gen 7 PH also becoming "solved" and another situation arising like the status quo? And if it's high enough to be fairly likely, would we move on to gen 5 then? Or perhaps a different one? In simpler terms: If we swap the ladder now, is it going to stay swapped, or will we probably be having this discussion again in a year?

Maybe I am missing something, but some of the points being made here sound a lot like "gen 6 is more competitive and is even stable enough to have a viable tour scene", and yet despite this, there's still substantial interest in moving to gen 7 anyway? As a non-PH player I'm not sure I follow along with this train of thought. Part of why we made the switch from current gen to gen 6 PH in the first place was to avoid uncompetitive elements (like the 65K HP thing), so I guess from a tiering perspective it concerns me that we might be looking to go back to another potentially uncompetitive metagame.

From the angle of an active PH player, what's the relative likelihood of gen 7 PH also becoming "solved" and another situation arising like the status quo? And if it's high enough to be fairly likely, would we move on to gen 5 then? Or perhaps a different one? In simpler terms: If we swap the ladder now, is it going to stay swapped, or will we probably be having this discussion again in a year?
I understand the sentiment--PH is so different even from BH that approaching it without metagame knowledge is extremely difficult--but:
a) just because a tier is less competitive does not make it uncompetitive. Gen 7 is absolutely not the most competitive PH tier, but compared to shit like Eternamax and Ability Shield + Wonder Guard it may as well be an OU tier in terms of competitiveness. Besides, PH is always inherently a little uncompetitive, and that's something all PH players should be willing to accept. Gen 7 just happens to be a little more crazy.

b) as for whether gen 7 PH will be solved, im probably not the best person to answer that since I stopped playing the tier a while ago, but gen 7 ph is very different from gen 6, and I feel like it's already somewhat figured out ("haha pdon go brr also run magic bounce somewhere"), but that doesn't mean that it will get stale (which is the real reason this thread exists), because of 1) pdon running like 1 million different sets and 2) a lot of decently viable mons, from mega sceptile to regigigas.

I may also just have no idea what im talking about im a little out of the loop with ph lol

I can't speak for everyone in this thread, but I imagine that many will hold similar views. Gen 7 PH does have some uncompetitive elements to it and Gen 6 PH is probably the most competitive overall, but Gen 6 has gotten stale for many players, including myself. The format has more or less been 'solved' for a while now which makes it less enjoyable to many players.

Contrast this with Gen 7 PH, a usually fast-paced and fairly new format with a completely different style of play. Even though it's been around for quite a while, it's only really received attention when it first released (and had some game mechanics improperly implemented, such as Protective Pads being able to shield the user from Innards Out damage) and recently, so there's still plenty to discover and use.

Gen 7 PH might not be as strictly competitive as Gen 6, but not only does it have plenty of its own unique mechanics and quirks to form a deep metagame that's balanced enough for people to enjoy, but many players simply find it more fun and a great change of pace from Gen 6, which has been stagnant for quite some time. Additionally, there are far more viable strategies in Gen 7 than there are in... every other generation of pure hackmons maybe? Everything from stall to hyper offense is good, which is pretty rare for a pure hackmons metagame. This variety in playstyles and team structures makes it very appealing to a lot of people, including myself, and is one of the reasons why it is very popular.

Personally, I think Gen 7's balance issues are exaggerated, as Gen 6 itself has been in similar spots before (the panic about spam teams, the panic about Big Four, etc) and players learned to play around and against these strategies more effectively, and I'm certain this will happen again for Gen 7, albeit maybe not as much due to things like CFZs being inherently nutty.

As for the likelihood of Gen 7 being 'solved,' it's generally pretty hard to say. We've thought that Gen 6 had been solved at least thrice (to my memory) and were wrong each time, so it's a hard thing to predict. But with the comparitively little meta exploration up to this point and the abundance of new Pokemon, mechanics, and the increased viability of non-balance playstyles I would expect it to be a while before we consider the metagame truly 'solved.' If this were to happen again, I suspect that Gen 4 would be next on the chopping block for ladder discussion, though Gen 5 could also be likely.

TL;DR Gen 6 PH is likely more competitive than Gen 7 PH, but the latter is not only far from being unbalanced (probably being the second most balanced PH metagame aside from maybe Gen 4), but it has a more varied metagame with a plethora of interesting mechanics and playstyles, and players think it is a very fun and refreshing change of pace to the stagnant Gen 6 Pure Hackmons metagame which is why many would like to see this change implemented even if Gen 6 PH is regarded as "the balanced one."

All in all, I am in favor of changing the permaladder to Gen 7 Pure Hackmons. Some other users here have mentioned rotating them monthly or something, which would be neat but as of writing this I haven't made up my mind on whether I think that's good or not (if it could even happen).

hopefully this clears some things up :]

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Thanks for all the feedback! There doesn't seem to be any dissent from the community, and all of the forum staff are okay with this proposal as well. The change from gen 6 PH -> gen 7 PH ladder on PS will be implemented when it's technically feasible. In the meantime, the resource post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/old-gen-hackmons-megathread.3649618/post-9142994 will need to be converted into OP format and posted in OM submissions so it can be an actual metagame thread as the cg version of Pure Hackmons.

Tagging council so you guys can figure out how you want to do this: Bahamut aerobee NToTheN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)