Read the rules (pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so while I am busy lurking through the forums, I am constantly coming across people that seem to have no comprehension of the english language whatsoever. (along with being completely oblivious to the rules and what is going on on this site in general) I'm not sure if this would be easy to make, but I think new users should have to read the rules and faq for the specific forum they wish to post in before being able to post. Just looking through this entire forum makes me want to strangle some of the posters. I know people would just skip it like terms and conditions or something, but it would clean up a lot of issues for the people who do read it. I dunno. Maybe the large "READ BEFORE POSTING" threads are enough?

@Birkal

I think what the poster is referring to is make it mandatory (or as mandatory as we can) for people to read the rules. The thing is I don't really know how we can accomplish that. We could make some type of lock for first time users that have to click a thread to start posting. But that would just seem frustrating and not very effective. The general PLEASE READ should be enough for users to read the rules really...

Stratos

Banned deucer.
On another forum I used to visit, it said "read the rules: don't just skim them!" after you registered and you couldn't post until you'd clicked an activation link which was hidden about five or six lines from the bottom of the rules thread. I can't imagine that it would be too hard to do the same here (though it might be i'm no expert) with Aeolus's announcement though idk if it would be worth it

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
it is mandatory to read the rules, and if you don't and then break them you get infracted.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would it work to PM users a copy of the rules in the thread? Or perhaps automatically send users that get infraceted below a certain number of posts? Or would people just skip over that and continue to not get the rules....

Nix_Hex

I hope you make a million dollars
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it is mandatory to read the rules, and if you don't and then break them you get infracted.
This is all well and good for power hungry mods, but it's a retroactive solution and does not prevent threads like "what is a good firered team?!?!?" from being posted in OU. Honestly I like Pwnemon's idea the best. Pretty much make reading the rules closest to mandatory as possible. This supports your point but may actually reduce the number of infractions we have to give out.
Would it work to PM users a copy of the rules in the thread? Or perhaps automatically send users that get infraceted below a certain number of posts? Or would people just skip over that and continue to not get the rules....
PMs are sent along with infractions, if that's what you're hinting at. Whether or not a link to the rules or whatever is sent to the infractee is up to the moderator's discretion.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I kind of meant that users could be sent an automatic PM including the rules when they first sign up, perhaps this could include some general forum information and ideas of where to start as well. However, this would be easily skipped over as it's similar to "reading the terms and conditions". However, if somebody breaks the rules, then you can at least say they were supposed to read them and were given a copy.

Adding a link for people to click on to activate their accounts in the rules sounds like a great idea, but it just adds another barrier to signing up accounts. However, this is probably the best way to get people to actually read them.

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
I remember this one class I took last semester where the professor had us take a mandatory test regarding the rules of the class; You could not get access to any class material until you got all the questions right.

Could something like that be implemented? I'm sure we have the technology to randomize questions and answers that can be checked by a program? right? please say yes.

Those were my two cents, don't know if something like it could be implemented but I'm just trying to bring ideas to the table.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I know of a forum that does that: I dunno if they still do... GTXPlus.net, I believe.

I remember this one class I took last semester where the professor had us take a mandatory test regarding the rules of the class; You could not get access to any class material until you got all the questions right.

Could something like that be implemented? I'm sure we have the technology to randomize questions and answers that can be checked by a program? right? please say yes.

Those were my two cents, don't know if something like it could be implemented but I'm just trying to bring ideas to the table.
That actually sounds like a plausible solution, it definitely sounds more appealing than forcing everyone to check a little box saying "I have read the rules."

I'm still a noob at coding, so I'm not sure if it would be easy to make. Although I have seen these types of random tests before. The site admins must know how to do everything, right?

That actually sounds like a plausible solution, it definitely sounds more appealing than forcing everyone to check a little box saying "I have read the rules."

I'm still a noob at coding, so I'm not sure if it would be easy to make. Although I have seen these types of random tests before. The site admins must know how to do everything, right?
Coding something like that wouldn't be to difficult; the problem would be the test themselves. Firstly, it's a bit irritating if one just wants to lurk while getting rid of the "irritating message" on the home page. Secondly, asking "Should you flame someone?" isn't really going to motivate people to read the rules.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
That problem is easy to solve, MeteorMiss, just go through the rules and make some questions based off of semantics or details in the rules.

Is it OK to organize trolls and post about it in 'a forum' or any of its aliases?
No

Which badges are you allowed to have as an avatar?
None that represent a contribution to Smogon

Under what situation is it OK to post telling the mods what to do? As in 'This thread doesn't belong here, mods move it to X'
None

Where are you allowed to advertise links to your clan forum?
While it isn't mentioned in the rules specifically: User CP -> Edit Your Details -> Home Page URL. Nowhere else.

What languages are approved for constant usage on Smogon?
Only proper English. No Internet-speak based off of English.

When can you bump a dead thread?
When you have something of substance to add. Think about it first, though.

Where is the only place on Smogon to discuss how amazing/horrible/strange Pokemon designs are?
Orange Isles

Where can you insult your rival's Pokemon clan website?
Nowhere

If one of your post is edited in a mass-edit by a moderator, should you edit it to congratulate the mod on his sense of humor or whatever?
No

What do you do when you receive a advertising PM?
Send it to Birkal the super moderators or admins

Are there rules specific for each forum?
Yes
This is obviously not anywhere near a finished result, merely an example of how this could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)