Rating Practice Teams Round + Tutor Programme Round #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the newest round of rating practice teams. If you're an aspiring rater, then these will hopefully allow you to pick up on and address any problems with your rating, provide you with experience rating teams that have been specifically made to be as tough to rate as possible, and make you think creatively in order to find the best changes for the team. Any rates we receive will be replied to with personalized feedback by an official Team Rater. At the end of the round, we'll give some general hints and feedback on how things went, and post the best rate that we received as an example of how to rate the team.

After the official TR provides feedback for the rate submitted, the person who submitted the rate will have the option to take on the rater as a tutor for a couple of weeks. Over this period the TR can work with the tutee on the aspects of their rating that need improvement and give them the advice they need to become high quality raters. If the person's practice rate seems to be on the right track and they still want to take on a tutor, then it's up to the tutee to describe to the tutor what exactly they would like to work on. Keep in mind that tutors are limited and spots will be handed out on a first-come first-serve basis. If you would like to be assigned a rating tutor, be sure to make that clear in your PM.

If you would like to participate in this round, PM your rate to celticpride no later than Monday, April 4th. You may rate more than one practice team, but make separate PMs for each team you rate. Don't forget to indicate which tier your rate is for in the title!

Please note that in the event of ongoing suspect tests you are not rating for the Suspect metagame, and as such make sure you account for Diglett, Sceptile, Durant, etc.

Practice Teams by tier:

• OU Practice Team by Analytic
  • UU Practice Team by Kreme
  • RU Practice Team by Arifeen
  • NU Practice Team by HJAD
  • LC Practice Team by Corporal Levi
  • PU Practice Team by Megazard

OU Practice Team by Analytic

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Roost

M-CharizardX is the star of the team. After it sets up a DD, it just blows apart teams that have poor speed control. With its powerful dual STABs and a plethora of situations to take advantage of, Charizard-X makes for a great pokemon for this team to built around.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Manaphy is a pokemon that supports Charizard by breaking down bulky ground-types such as Hippowdon, Landorus, and Garchomp, and stuff like Heatran that annoys Charizard. It also gives the team a very potent threat vs bulkier teams that have bad speed control. Psychic breaks annoying stuff like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur, Energy Ball for the Rotom-W, Slowbro, Suicune, and Scald is a reliable STAB that is very threatening after a TG.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Thundurus is a pokemon that is very underprepped for these days, but it's still a very huge threat to a lot of teams. Grass Knot is a very cool lure for Hippowdon who think they are safe from Thundurus. Focus Blast hits stuff like Ferrothorn and Heatran which can be annoying to the team, also hits Tyranitar on the switch if anybody's stupid enough to do so. Thunderbolt breaks down Slowbro and Suicune which are very problematic to Charizard sweeping. HP Ice breaks stuff like Garchomp and Landorus.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn gives the team an important Fairy resist. It also gives the team a switch in to the likes of Lati@s and Azumarill which threaten the team to quite an extent. Also provides the team with Spikes support so that Zard can clean up effectively and overwhelm its checks.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ironically, the team is weak to Charizard-X. The team is also weak to the likes of M-Lopunny, and M-Metagross. Landorus acts as a very nice check to these pokemon and provides SR support and a reliable pivot for the team.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

The team was quite weak to the likes of Keldeo, Manaphy, and Charizard-Y. Since the team also lacks hazard removal, Latios fit on here perfectly. HP Fire to hit Bisharp and Ferrothorn which are very annoying for the team, and dual STABs+LO for raw firepower.

UU Practice Team by Kreme

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

I built this team around Slurpuff, which is a terrifyingly powerful setup sweeper in the current metagame due to the nature of most teams nowadays not preparing for it well. The set is standard, with Play Rough for being a decently strong STAB attack, Drain Punch for coverage and more longevity so it isn't as easily picked off by priority users and (some) faster Scarf Pokemon, and lastly Return to complete Slurpuff's coverage, allowing it to hit Poison-type Pokemon for neutral damage so it is cannot be walled by a Pokemon with a singular type.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Since Slurpuff thrives on being able to have one-shot at being able to sweep the opponent, I needed to have a Pokemon that was able to give it that one free-turn it needed to be able to setup. Memento Scarf Chandelure does that perfectly while also complementing Slurpuff by being able to remove / weaken a lot of its checks and counters, including Bronzong and Forretress, while also having a Flash Fire, giving it a Fire-type immunity so I'm less weak against Fire-type Pokemon.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

As I was already going the hyper offense route, I decided to have Lucario on my team to also reap the benefits of having Memento Chandelure, as Lucario is yet another deadly setup sweeper in the UnderUsed tier. The set is also more or less standard, with it being a Swords Dance variant. Close Combat and Extreme Speed are there for good damage and priority, respectively, while Crunch is used to damage bulky Psychic-types like Cresselia and Reuniclus.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Bounce

At this point I was very excited to have the prospect of building around having a multitude of setup sweepers being supported by Chandelure's Memento, as well as each other. To somewhat adhere to this I wanted something that could easily be a prominent threat to opposing teams while carrying some good resistances to be able to setup easily without Chandelure throwing its life away. Gyarados was the first thing that came to mind, being a very strong setup sweeper recently introduced into the tier. I opted to go for a 3 attacks + DD variant over a SubDD variant as I thought the extra coverage would prove to be far more beneficial.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

At this point I wanted to be able to control my entry hazard situation, and I didn't want to have to use two slots for both entry hazard setting and entry hazard removal, so I decided to go for a suicide lead. The most consistent of suicide leads is this Pokemon right here, Aerodactyl. It can easily prevent every other lead from setting their own Stealth Rock by virtue of its Speed and access to Taunt. The set is standard, with Taunt + Stealth Rock being its main utility while Fire Blast is chosen to get past Forretress and Double-Edge being used to suicide when brought down to its Focus Sash.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Lastly, I noticed I didn't have a Mega Pokemon and wanted something to complement the rest of the team by covering for their weak points, which were the lack of a good bulky Water-type Pokemon answer, lack of a switch-in for Electric-type attacks (meaning VoltTurn playstyles were a nuisance), as well as something naturally fast to make up for the rather slow lineup I had prior, excluding Aerodactyl, making Mega Sceptile the perfect fit. The set is mostly the same as the rest of the team in that it's standard.

RU Practice Team by Arifeen

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I built this team around Venusaur and Braviary. Venusaur is an extremely potent wallbreaker as it is one of the best Water-type switch-ins and can punish Steel-types with HP Fire. Venusaur also beats Rock- and Steel-types which aids Braviary to sweep.

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute
- Brave Bird

Braviary is an excellent setup sweeper and is very bulky with this set. It can set up on a plethora of Pokemon and can decimate the opposing team once their Steel- and Rock-types are weakened or taken down.

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Tail

I added Absol for its insane wall breaking capabilities and used Iron Tail to lure Diancie, which tends to switch into it. Absol also gives the team a great offensive presence and it can 2HKO most Pokemon, weakening them for a Braviary sweep.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

I added Diancie as a Fire- and Flying-type check, a Stealth Rock user and cleric, since Braviary could get burned if it switches into Scald. Diancie is also my special sponge, being able to tank hits and hit hard in return.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Refresh

I needed hazard control and realized the best Pokemon for the job is Blastoise. Blastoise is a great physical tank and a spinner. I added Refresh because most Pokemon tend to wear it down using Toxic. Blastoise also check Mega Steelix which I lacked a proper switch in to.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Baton Pass

Finally I realised the team's very weak to fast revenge killers like Medicham, Virizion, and Tyrantrum, so I added Scarf Durant which can also break walls decently. This is the standard Scarf set, and Durant usually acts as a revenge killer or late game cleaner.

Reactions: TPP
NU Practice Team by HJAD

Tauros @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt

I built around Jolly Choice Scarf Tauros. The main attraction to this set for me was its capability to outspeed the entire scarfed metagame, which is really important for a cleaner in this role. I chose Tauros in particular as its a normal type that carries Fire Blast, allowing it to break Natural Steel type checks such as Ferroseed, which may hamper its sweep. I choose Earthquake as an alternative method of hitting Steel types, but also bulky rock types such as Rhydon. Zen Headbutt is my chosen coverage move for the ability to 2HKO Rotom upon switchin.

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Signal Beam

Choice Specs Mesprit was the mon i decided to pair with Tauros. The main attraction to this set is the fact that it can lure standard mesprit checks (e.g. Steelix, Skunk, but mainly Steelix) and 2HKO them very easily with its given coverage moves. Ice Beam is an excellent means of hitting Xatu, Steelix and stuff like Skuntank, which may hamper Vileplumes general effectiveness. I choose Grass Knot as another coverage for its given ability to hit standard rock setters like Steelix, Rhydon and Piloswine for huge damage, they also happen to be checks to Tauros. Signal Beam is there for its utility to hit Malamar and fat Psychic Types such as Musharna, and other Mesprit which may decide to switchin.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Outrage

Curse Talk Sliggoo was added as its an excellent meta check at the minute, Magmortar, Special Samurott, Lilligant, Sceptile, Pyroar, etc etc are all mons that are heavily walled by Sliggoo. Whats nice about sliggoo is that it synergises very well with above offensive core, Steel Types and the like are common checks / switchins to this mon, which Mesprit lures in a pinch, free'ing Sliggoos ability to spam outrage in the late game.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Piloswine was added as a neccesary stealth rocker. It does an excellent job in checking common Ice Types such as Aurorus which are very threatening to this team at the minute. Its access to Ice Type Priority was also a huge benefactor, allowing it to check Swellow at even miniscule amounts of HP should Sliggoo be stacked with other stuff.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Kabutops is our given Hazards Control. It was specifically chosen for its ability to provide a solid normal type resist, as well as cleaning power with Aqua Jet should need be. It can also function as a solid wallbreaker too, given Adamant Life Orb Waterfall / Stone Edge has pretty solid coverage across the tier, aiding again in a possible Tauros clean in the late game.

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Vileplume functions as our catch all Fighting Type Check, as well as our main way to fend off efforts from Barbaracle, which may Shell Smash on Tauros given that its locked into its preferred Normal Stab most of the time. Hidden Power Fire is also used as a way of dealing with Klinklang, which is scary to this team given that we dont have a natural steel resist.

PU Practice Team by Megazard

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Surf

I wanted to build a hyper offense team with a suicide lead since they've started to go a bit out of favor. Rampardos seemed like a good beginning since it doesn't have issues with facing off against Golem and has a lot of attack power just to begin with.

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Taunt

My first addition was Quilladin, as I figured once I was going hyper offense I might as well add Spikes. Max Speed Jolly + Drain Punch lets me take out Pawniard before they can knock off the eviolite, and I ended up going with Wood Hammer despite recoil and no recovery because I really like the power. The rest is pretty standard for offensive spiking Quill.

Dusknoir @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp

I needed a spinblocker which could annoy Cryogonal and not get dropped by the rare Armaldo, so Colbur Berry Dusknoir helps keep hazards on the field, chip foes with priority and burns, and chip things with Pursuit trapping. I can also surprise Pawniard and Mightyena with Colbur Berry and hit then with a strong Earthquake which is nice.

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

At this point I needed some stuff to abuse Spikes, so Monferno came on since it forces a lot of switches and Spikes help with the power loss from Jolly. U-Turn helps keep up momentum with Spikes on the field and weaken Grumpig for Floatzel.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass

Life Orb Floatzel is a really good attacker that pretty much only Politoed can take on with Spikes up. It also keeps up the Volt-Turn core with Monferno and my last member with Baton Pass, and Focus Blast is there to hit things like Stoutland and Lapras and is my best way to attack other Water-types.

Electrode @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aftermath
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

My final member was another momentum abuser, except this time it helps check Water-types instead of being checked by them. I like the power of Choice Specs Electrode over Zebstrika, it hits really hard and does a lot more to Stunfisk with Hidden Power Ice. This is my main revenge killer since it's so fast, and manages to clean up really well once teams are worn down by spikes.

Reactions: TPP
LC Practice Team by Corporal Levi

Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
Level: 5
EVs: 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Synthesis

This team is built around a Snivy sweep. a combination of Leaf Storm and Contrary lets Snivy attack and set up at the same time. Knock Off helps Snivy hit its switch-ins early in the game so it can KO them later, or so Gothita can trap them more easily. HP Ground is a nice coverage move for Magnemite, Pawniard, and Croagunk. Synthesis and Eviolite let Snivy stick around.

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Trick

Gothita is a great support Pokemon for Snivy by trapping many of the Pokemon that give Snivy trouble, most notably Foongus, Fletchling, and Abra. It can also trap Fighting-types in general, which are always troublesome. Dark Pulse lets Gothita trap Abra more easily and lets Gothita win mirror matches against opposing Gothita. Trick cripples walls like Porygon and Spritzee.

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Foongus is a great pivot and defensive Pokemon in general. By including Foongus, Snivy can focus on sweeping instead of having to act as a defensive switch-in. Foongus checks various Fairy-, Grass-, Fighting-, Electric-, and Water-types thanks to its typing and Regenerator. It has Hidden Power Fire to lure in and weaken Ferroseed so that Snivy can sweep more easily.

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 20 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Archen sets up Stealth Rock and checks Flying-types like Fletchling. Its high attack and strong STAB moves let it wall-break. Acrobatics is Archen's main STAB move, and Earthquake provides solid coverage. Rock Tomb makes it harder for certain Pokemon to set up or switch in on Archen. With the given EVs, Archen can usually survive defensive Staryu's Scald from full health, and isn't as weak to Gastly.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Even though Archen can act as a check to Flying- and Fire-types, it tends to get worn down pretty easily. RestTalk Chinchou is a good primary switch-in to these Pokemon because it can recover off damage and status with Rest. It is also able to deter Volt Switch so that they don't gain momentum against Snivy or Foongus. A slow Volt Switch is nice to get Gothita and Snivy in safely.

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Jump Kick

Mienfoo was included because it is a strong Fighting-type that doesn't lose momentum thanks to U-turn. It acts as a soft Pawniard check, able to outspeed it even if Choice Scarf is Knocked Off. Knock Off helps to weaken bulky Pokemon so that Snivy can break through them more easily later on.

oml it's too ez submitted the best rate for the round, and as such he's our winner! Here's the winning rate (replying to the OU team):

oml it's too ez said:
Yo. Nice charizard x team. I really like how you have thundurs to lure bulky grounds like hippowdown and quagsire to help charizard x sweep. Some weakness I notice to this team are dark types. Things like bisharp and weavile are very hard to switch into. I also notice some common threats to Hyper Offense that threaten this team. Fast pokemon like serperior/alakazam-mega/ice punch lopunny-mega can outspeed your entire team making them very hard to revenge kill and they hits very hard.

The first thing you should do is run keldeo over manaphy. This change will help you versus dark types in bisharp/weavile/gyrados-mega. Keldeo is also part water type like manaphy meaning you still break down bulky ground-types such as Hippowdon, Landorus, and Garchomp, and fire types like Heatran that annoys Charizard.

Another thing you should run is scarf jirachi over ferrothorn. I feel like ferrothorn losses all the momentum for this offensive team. I also dont like spikes on this team as charizard and thundurs need hazards off the field forcing you to defog which means you will get rid of the spikes you get up. Scarf Jirachi can help you versus fast threats like serperior /alakazam-mega/lopunny-mega as you outspeed them and flinch them to death. Jirachi can also gain you momentum with u-turn and give you better speed control with the scarf.Jirachi can also provide you healing wish support allowing you to bring back one of your teammates if they get too low in hp or statused.

Next thing you should do is run roost over hidden power fire on latios. Hidden Power fire is used to hit steel types like scizor/ferrothron/bisharp but you have a keldeo and a charizard x to deal with them. Running roost makes you a more reliable defogger and also lets you switch into pokemons like keldeo/zard y more reliable as well. This also doesn't lower your speed by 1 allowing you to speed tie with base 110 like gengar/latias/latios/dianice-mega.

Finally somethings you can consider is running hidden power flying over hidden power ice on thundurs. hp ice is still usable to threaten garchomps and landorus-therian, but these mons are usually scared off regardless. Hidden Power Flying can help you hit fighting types and grass types harder. Fighting types like heracross-mega/medicam-mega which could otherwise get alot of damage or a kill on your team. You can also consider knock off over focus blast to hit psyhic types like latios and latias. Latios like to switch in and wall ur thundurs and keldeo. Running knock off can catch them off guard allowing you to get rid of them with the combination of knock off + hidden power flying. THis means 1 less revenge killer for your zard x and one less keldeo switch in and also no more deffogger for them. You can also consider thunder wave too as you paralyze the latios and latias on the switch making them easier to deal with as now zard x will outspeed and oko with a Dragon Move.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Flying vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 283-338 (106.7 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Flying vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 484-567 (160.7 - 188.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- Atk Life Orb Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 221-260 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thanks to all those who submitted rates, and all those who took the time and effort to give feedback. Expect to see us back in a few weeks with another round of Rating Practice Teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)