Monotype Rate my Gen 9 Monotype Dark Team!

I like experimenting across a lot of different types, so here’s a Dark team I got.

(2023@ all nicknames and storylines are property of Anchor9. No copying. All Rights Reserved)

Long ago there were the Dark Warriors that were unmatched by all other types. Though the Kings of Fighting and Bug were bothersome, they weee no match. The Fairy Lords were more dangerous, but the Dark Warriors were ready….

Master Urshifu (Urshifu) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab / Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Long ago, Master Urshifu learned the art of the Wicked Blow, and all the Metagame trembled. With Black Glasses his power was unmatched by all. Although his fists were powerful, he had a Swords Dance to become more power. Unafraid of the battle, Master Urshifu fought at Close Combat, another one of his STABs he used. Although the Fairy Lords threatened him, he carried Poison Jab to handle them, yet he questioned whether Sucker Punch would be the better choice for Flutter Mane. Master Urshifu is so powerful, that the high leaders of the land of Gen 9 Monotype threaten to bring the hammer of Ban-ee and banish Urshifu from the land.

Sorcerer Muk (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 156 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab

Sorcerer Muk learned that by using an Assault Vest, he could better handle Moonblasts that would threaten his fellow Dark Warriors. The spell of Poison Touch allows him to maintain, well, poison who he touches. Each of his moves hold a mysterious power. With Knock Off he can remove opponent’s items. Zen Headbutt provides him coverage against Fighting. Drain Punch gives him recovery. Poison Jab is his STAB and with 12 Atk EVs he has a slight chance to OHKO uninvested Enamorous.

Lord Chien (Chien-Pao) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs / Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch

Lord Chien was gifted the powerful Choice Band by King Gambit and gained the magical ability Swords of Ruin by Sorcerer Muk. With these Lord Chien can wallbreak powerful opponents. Psychic Fang gives coverage vs. Fighting, although Icicle Crash is usually powerful enough, so Lord Chien wonders if Ice Shard would be better to not be destroyed by Mushroom Breloom. Sacred Sword keeps Lord Chien from being walled by Curse Dondonzo and covers against a wide variety of enemies. Icicle Crash is STAB that brings the Legendary Dragons crashing down. Crunch is STAB and shows Lord Chien’s ferocity.

Assassin Meow (Meowscarada) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Assassin Meow’s job is to pick off weakened opponents. With Choice Scarf she is a fast and brutal revenge-killer. Holding the Floating Flower of Pro-Tean, she can adjust all her attacks to be STABs and trick opposing forces of her typing. She laughs at threatening Dragons and Fighting types, by using Play Rough to remove them. Flower Trick can crush her opponents and give Rock and Ground coverage for the Dark Warriors. Knock Off removes opponents items. U-Turn can allow Assassin Meow to pivot out of dangerous spots, or quickly KO and return.

Commander Buzz (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird / Foul Play

Commander Buzz is a mastermind of war. She can switch in and take on dangerous Fighting types. Through Toxic and Roost she can KO or cripple her enemies. U-Turn allows her to pivot like Assassin Meow. She currently dwells on choosing Brave Bird or Foul Play, nuking enemies herself, especially the bothersome Fighting and Bug Types. or using their strength against them.

King Gambit (Kingambit) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

King Gambit ponders every move, sitting on a crown of his own glorious hair. The King of the Dark Warriors, he goes to battle last, for through a spell of Sorcerer Muk, the more Dark Warriors have fallen, the stronger he gets. Swords Dance heightens his attack and gives him more strength. Iron Head is a powerful STAB attack. King Gambit uses Sucker Punch to attack before his end, while Kowtow Cleave allows him to crush slower enemies.

So the Dark Warriors ruled the land, besides a few threats…..

Scizor poses a major threat to the Dark Warriors, with nothing to hit the Metal Bug Super effectively. With Swords Dance and Bullet Punch, Lord Chien falls and crumbles. Close Combat crushes King Gambit, Lord Chien. X-Scissors can take out Assassin Meow.

Ribombee is the essence of death and destruction. Sticky Web ends all with no hazard removal. Although King Gambit could purge the threat with Iron Head, Ribombee is often a lead and nothing more, being a threat by just existing. Maybe Commander Buzz should consider Defog….

Well, I hope you enjoyed the great story of the Dark Warriors and their journey to dominance. Any advice?

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Dark type is my favorite type, :)

Anyway, lead h-samurott is really good for dark mono because of being able to deal damage while setting up hazards at the same time.

(yeah, the scizor problem, wish chi-yu was available.....houndoom isn't good enough.......)

running defog should be considered for sticky web, not much anything else except for SR unless you have a situation where you have to pivot alot in the game, as chip can be harmful late game.

nice story, by the way, might have to break copyright though for my own team (i'll ask first) :)
(oh yeah i also made a dark rmt that did well for me on my old account Togeblack if you want to check it out, it might be outdated tho)

Last edited:
Nothing is actually copyrighted. Thanks for the advice. Some questions, who would I take out for Samurott-H? Also, what move would I replace for Defog? Do you think Spec Hydregion is a good idea over maybe Chien-Pao to have an actual Special Attacker? Hydregion carries Flamethrower, which would help against Mono-Bug. But then I lose Sacred Sword and Icicle Crash to hit Setup Mons and Dragons.

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
the reason your're using meow is for revenge killing, right?

well, kingambit usually does that, and for fighting types you can switch to mandibuzz to tank and then probably switch into muk if you don't have Brave Bird. I think, if you're using specs Hydreigon, then meow can go, thougn you lose and answer to waters.

Chien Pao should stay on the team.

Now, I know Muk is for the fairies, but to be honest because this team is really based on offense and I don't really know if the change will be worth it....
THe thing about Dark types is that they have really good mons so its reallly hard to choose individually............ so H-Samurott isn't as big of a prioity,

However, Mandibuzz with defog its agin a hard choice. If you keep Muk, then i think toxic can go, if not, then roost, because it loses your fyilng type whoch then leaves you vulnerable to the many hard hitting fighting moves going around.

Assassin Meow is also my lead. With her speed and Choice Scarf I can easily go first and pivot if I don’t like the look of things or stay and put a hole in something. She’s pretty important for speed control. Most of the rest of my team besides Chien-Pao are pretty slow.

A-Muk is an extremely valuable member, absolutely acting as if Moonblast doesn’t exist, and then usually 2HKOing most Fairies with Poison Jab. I could honestly just throw Fire Punch on him over Zen Headbutt because Fighting types can’t do that much against him and I’ll still have coverage against Fighting with Chien-Pao and Mandibuzz.

My Mandibuzz is meant to be a defensive Pokémon I can swap in. Roost has its drawbacks, but usually Mandibuzz is too slow to end up paying for them. Roost also allows Mandibuzz to stall and helps her longevity so I can throw her in late game. I probably can put Defog over Toxic since I have A-Muk with Poison Jab plus Poison Touch.

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I like experimenting across a lot of different types, so here’s a Dark team I got.

(2023@ all nicknames and storylines are property of Anchor9. No copying. All Rights Reserved)

Long ago there were the Dark Warriors that were unmatched by all other types. Though the Kings of Fighting and Bug were bothersome, they weee no match. The Fairy Lords were more dangerous, but the Dark Warriors were ready….

Master Urshifu (Urshifu) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Fighting
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab / Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Long ago, Master Urshifu learned the art of the Wicked Blow, and all the Metagame trembled. With Black Glasses his power was unmatched by all. Although his fists were powerful, he had a Swords Dance to become more power. Unafraid of the battle, Master Urshifu fought at Close Combat, another one of his STABs he used. Although the Fairy Lords threatened him, he carried Poison Jab to handle them, yet he questioned whether Sucker Punch would be the better choice for Flutter Mane. Master Urshifu is so powerful, that the high leaders of the land of Gen 9 Monotype threaten to bring the hammer of Ban-ee and banish Urshifu from the land.

Sorcerer Muk (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 156 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab

Sorcerer Muk learned that by using an Assault Vest, he could better handle Moonblasts that would threaten his fellow Dark Warriors. The spell of Poison Touch allows him to maintain, well, poison who he touches. Each of his moves hold a mysterious power. With Knock Off he can remove opponent’s items. Zen Headbutt provides him coverage against Fighting. Drain Punch gives him recovery. Poison Jab is his STAB and with 12 Atk EVs he has a slight chance to OHKO uninvested Enamorous.

Lord Chien (Chien-Pao) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs / Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch

Lord Chien was gifted the powerful Choice Band by King Gambit and gained the magical ability Swords of Ruin by Sorcerer Muk. With these Lord Chien can wallbreak powerful opponents. Psychic Fang gives coverage vs. Fighting, although Icicle Crash is usually powerful enough, so Lord Chien wonders if Ice Shard would be better to not be destroyed by Mushroom Breloom. Sacred Sword keeps Lord Chien from being walled by Curse Dondonzo and covers against a wide variety of enemies. Icicle Crash is STAB that brings the Legendary Dragons crashing down. Crunch is STAB and shows Lord Chien’s ferocity.

Assassin Meow (Meowscarada) @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Assassin Meow’s job is to pick off weakened opponents. With Choice Scarf she is a fast and brutal revenge-killer. Holding the Floating Flower of Pro-Tean, she can adjust all her attacks to be STABs and trick opposing forces of her typing. She laughs at threatening Dragons and Fighting types, by using Play Rough to remove them. Flower Trick can crush her opponents and give Rock and Ground coverage for the Dark Warriors. Knock Off removes opponents items. U-Turn can allow Assassin Meow to pivot out of dangerous spots, or quickly KO and return.

Commander Buzz (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird / Foul Play

Commander Buzz is a mastermind of war. She can switch in and take on dangerous Fighting types. Through Toxic and Roost she can KO or cripple her enemies. U-Turn allows her to pivot like Assassin Meow. She currently dwells on choosing Brave Bird or Foul Play, nuking enemies herself, especially the bothersome Fighting and Bug Types. or using their strength against them.

King Gambit (Kingambit) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

King Gambit ponders every move, sitting on a crown of his own glorious hair. The King of the Dark Warriors, he goes to battle last, for through a spell of Sorcerer Muk, the more Dark Warriors have fallen, the stronger he gets. Swords Dance heightens his attack and gives him more strength. Iron Head is a powerful STAB attack. King Gambit uses Sucker Punch to attack before his end, while Kowtow Cleave allows him to crush slower enemies.

So the Dark Warriors ruled the land, besides a few threats…..

Scizor poses a major threat to the Dark Warriors, with nothing to hit the Metal Bug Super effectively. With Swords Dance and Bullet Punch, Lord Chien falls and crumbles. Close Combat crushes King Gambit, Lord Chien. X-Scissors can take out Assassin Meow.

Ribombee is the essence of death and destruction. Sticky Web ends all with no hazard removal. Although King Gambit could purge the threat with Iron Head, Ribombee is often a lead and nothing more, being a threat by just existing. Maybe Commander Buzz should consider Defog….

Well, I hope you enjoyed the great story of the Dark Warriors and their journey to dominance. Any advice?
Hello, Welcome to Monotype. The Dark lords seem to have served you well, though some changes can be made to improve the team (as well as a bit of Future-proofing since Master Urshifu would likely not survive the suspect test)

:urshifu:
Although the Fairy Lords threatened him, he carried Poison Jab to handle them, yet he questioned whether Sucker Punch would be the better choice for Flutter Mane.
Master Shifu is right to question the usage of Poison Jab; After all, thou does not outspeed prominent Fairies like Enamorus and Iron Valiant for it to matter. As for the slower Fairies like Hatterene, Master Shifu is able to eliminate them in a single strike already:

+2 252 Atk Black Glasses Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene on a critical hit: 343-405 (107.8 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for the cosmic beauty in Clefable, a +2 Poison Jab isnt OHKO'ing it either under Reflect (a common tactic of the Fairy lords), making the master's efforts in vain. It would do well to use the Sorcerer to combat it.

Furthermore, Sucker Punch lets the master outwit and crush faster threats that can be annoying for our Dark overlords.

:muk-alola:
Sorcerer Muk can choose to run Black Sludge instead, massively improving his longevity as it offsets damage, which would otherwise be permanent. If the Sorcerer follows the cat's advice, swapping Zen Headbutt for Protect, not only lets the sorcerer discern the opponent's next move but also get more of his health back.

:chien-pao:
Psychic Fang gives coverage vs. Fighting, although Icicle Crash is usually powerful enough, so Lord Chien wonders if Ice Shard would be better to not be destroyed by Mushroom Breloom.
With Master Urshifu, Lord Chien can forgo the Sword, as with Ice Shard you can assassinate powerful targets like the aforementioned Mushroom Breloom, as well as Enamorus and Kommo-o as Ice Shard outpriorities the sinister Vacuum Wave. This way, you run Psychic Fangs and Ice Shard. As for Dondozo, Assassin Meow's Flower Trick as well as Master Shifu's Wicked Blow bypasses Dondozo's Curses.

:mandibuzz:
Commander Buzz can opt to drop Toxic, due to the sheer power of her team mates, there are hardly anything that she can Toxic that her team mates already do not outright kill. This lets Commander Buzz support Lord Chien better, keeping him out of harms way by removing the Stealthy Rocks. Heavy-Duty Boots are also better, letting the commander come in and out as she wishes without fear of pointy objects.

As for Foul Play or Brave Bird, it depends on the Dark team's priorities. Foul Play lets you deal with Azumarill, Scizor (cannot OHKO you at +2), and Baxcalibur (Icicle Crash is not an OHKO at +1), while Brave Bird prevents you from being setup fodder for Bug-types like Lokix and Volcarona and defeat the Mushroom Breloom in a pinch. If Foul Play is picked, invest 16 Speed EVs to outspeed and turn Adamant Azumarill's huge power against itself.

As a side note, due to the lack of Sableye (a common answer to Fighting-types for Dark teams) in this team, one can also consider Whirlwind, over U-turn. This lets you put aside Fighting-type threats to deal with later, as well as combat Enamorus that constantly spams Superpower on this team.

:kingambit:
King Gambit can choose to shed some of its bulk for speed, if he wanted to. 140 Speed EVs lets King Gambit outspeed and win one-on-one against Corviknight, though this isn't mandatory. Leftovers may also be considered, as King Gambit would be swapping in often enough to combat weaker Fairy-types.

:urshifu: :muk-alola: :chien-pao: :mandibuzz: :meowscarada: :kingambit: <-Here is the edited team

Footnote
What happens if Master Urshifu gets banned?

:hydreigon: might be your best bet, covering for most matchups like Steel, beating Ursaluna-BM, and bulky teams. A fully outfitted Warlock Dreigon can be seen below:
Warlock Dreigon (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute / Stealth Rock
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower / Earth Power
- Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse
Substitute lets the Warlock evade Status, and Ursaluna-BM's Blood Moon, while Stealth Rock helps you wear down the opposing team passively, alongside the Sorcerer's Poison Touch. Nasty Plot allows the Warlock to wallbreak. The last two moves are up to preference, Flamethrower lets you immensely threaten Corviknight and gives you a supereffective move against Scizor, Earth Power lets you heavily threaten opposing Alolan Muk, Toxapex, Hisuian Goodra, while threatening Skeledirge, which your team doesnt exactly like, Dark Pulse is sort of an all rounder move, while Draco Meteor is just so damaging that none would like to swap into it.

:greninja: can also be considered, as he provides some speed to the team, is able to also OHKO Ursaluna-BM off the bat, and has Switcheroo to confound walls that can hamper Lord Chien and King Gambit. A Ninja Gren has been prepared for you, as seen below:
Ninja Gren (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo / Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory / Dark Pulse

:sableye: Sableye could also be considered, as this gremlin helps you defensively, dealing with Zamazenta which no doubt eats this team alive. However, Sableye's defensive prowess sort of overlaps with Mandibuzz already. His set can be found here.

:hoopa-unbound: The unbound genie was also something I thought of, possibly as a secondary scarfer to aid against Fighting-types which can be troubling, and at the same time act as a decently hard hitting cleaner. However, its not as strong as Greninja nor as great in wallbreaking as Hydreigon. However it is an option. You can check him out here.

:chien-pao: Would also consider using the Sacred Sword once Master Shifu goes, likely over Psychic Fangs, especially if you pick Ninja Gren to help the Dark Lord's endeavors.

:kingambit: Should now strongly consider running some speed for Corviknight to aid Lord Chien in breaking up Flying teams.

Either way, with the Fairies, especially Flutter Mane, you'd have to rely on Sorcerer Muk and King Gambit once Urshifu gets banned.

Thats all, I hope this helped and you enjoy and learn something from reading this :blobnom:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)