Rainy Room (Rain Dance + Trick Room Offense)

(Rain Dance + Trick Room Offense)
This team is the combination of my personal two favorite strategies in UU, Rain Dance and Trick Room.
I recently decided to try to make a team using both of these strategies and see how it goes. I figured that since they're both so effective then both on one team would work out pretty well. While they don't exactly synergize well with one relying on high speed and the other relying on a lack of speed I still think that this is a solid and fun team. Its far from perfect however, it struggles against good special walls, especially Umbreon or P2. The team is made up of a Rain core (Tornadus/Kingdra) and a Trick Room core (Cofagrigus/Snorlax) with Piloswine and Roserade rounding it out as hazard setters. Please leave any comments, criticism, or input you've got. Thanks!
The Team
Roserade
Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Rest

Bulky offensive Roserade is my go-to pokemon to check Water types and set up Spikes. Giga Drain and​
Sludge Bomb give pretty decent coverage and Roserade hits hard thanks to a large base 125 special attack stat. Spikes are a huge aid to offensive teams in UU and Roserade sets them up quite comfortably on a lot of things. Spikes really help Cofagrigus and Kingdra with their sweeping, as both often fall just short of getting a KO on walls after setting up. I'm not too sure whether or not I prefer Rest or Synthesis, I used to be quite adamant about not using Rest but it does its perks.

Kingdra
Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance

Rain Dance Kingdra is one of my favorite set up sweepers in UU, and for good reason. Anything that​
doesn't resist Water is guarenteed to be OHKOd or 2HKOd once Kingdra is out and the Rain is up. Kingra's amazing typing also makes Rain quite easy to set up, sporting one weakness and two 4x resistances. Dragon Pulse is for anything that resists Surf or Hydro Pump, but I usually try to not rely too heavily on it as it isn't that powerful. Hydro Pump is really a last resort move, saved up to use on things that I'm sure will be able to live a Rain boosted Surf, usually Umbreon or Snorlax.

Snorlax
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Bulky offensive Snorlax is something I end up fitting onto pretty much every team just because it does it's​
job so well. It handles almost every special attack in the tier and a lot of physical ones as well. Body Slam is for the 30% paralysis chance, which I feel is superior to a boost in BP in Return. EQ and Fire Punch give Snorlax some pretty good coverage, Fire Punch is mostly for Bronzong, Abomasnow, and Escavalier but it has come in handy in other situations as well. Pursuit is for trapping Ghost and Psychic attackers that would cause this team trouble, especially Chandelure and Victini.

Cofagrigus
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus is a long time favorite of mind, I've been using this thing since almost​
the beginning of my time playing UU. It handles pretty much anything the powerful Fighting types of UU throw at it and retaliate by setting up Trick Room. Really only Cofagrigus and Snorlax benefit from Trick Room but it can be really useful as just screwing up fast offensive teams. I'm always very careful with my Trick Room setting, as if I suddenly have an opportunity to set up Rain having Trick Room up completely screws that up.

Tornadus
Tornadus @ Damp Rock
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Rain Dance
Tornadus is the second part of the Rain Dance duo of this team. In most matches though all it really does​
is set up Rain for Kingdra and die, but it really depends. Taunt is incredibly useful to have on it, as it even outspeeds other Prankster users like Sableye or Whimsicott. I've used Superpower over U-Turn before but I feel like U-Turn is generally better. Superpower would help me beat Umbreon however, the biggest problem this team has. I've opted for Damp Rock over Life Orb because Kingdra really appreciates having those extra turns of Rain. Hurricane in the Rain can be quite threatening but more often than not Tornadus won't use it more than a couple times a game.

Piloswine
Piloswine @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
Piloswine is my favorite underrated thing to use in UU. Excellent STABs, access to priority, and Stealth​
Rocks are just a few reasons why I think Piloswine is great. Its also a great check to Zapdos and Sub-CM Raikou, all Zapdos can it it with is HP Grass and Raikou can't touch Piloswine at all. Icicle Spear helps Piloswine beat Sash leads and break through Substitutes. Ice Shard hits a lot of things nicely even OHKOing Flygon and 2HKOing Roserade. It synergizes well with Roserade, and bulky Water types always love to come in on it to either spin or Scald.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Consider banding Snorlax. It is on a Trick Room team, in a sense, so it can really wreak some hazard if it's going first and spamming Returns.

Another route to go with this would be to ditch Cofag completely. I feel like the Trick Room aspect of this team is sort of lackluster at best - with all my experience using OTR cofag I find that it usually manages to use up most of the trick room turns itself without having much left over for Piloswine or Snorlax to be able to really sweep. You might benefit from just making it full on rain and putting something like a Rain Dance Omastar in there, and then perhaps changing Tornadus to a Sky Plate varient as you have more Rain Dancers.

My Struggle with Rain Room isn't that it's not a cool idea - I'm currently testing (and succeeding) with a really gimmicky Hail Room team in OU (min speed max SpA max Atk Kyu-B says hi ^^), but more with the fact that it just makes everything feel a bit scattered. You have this great core of Roserade-Piloswine-Snorlax and this awesome offensive core, and then it just sort of feels like Cofag is there to take fighting attacks and maybe get Trick Room up. It's worth noting that replacing it does open you up to things like Mienshao, so you could replace it with something else.

Another idea (this rate is really scatterbrained, sorry) would be to exchange it with a Rain Dance sableye. You maintain your fighting check, add another rain dancer, and also get an important poke. I personally love the Full SpD Snarl set, but standard would work as well. You could also just keep Cofag and make it defensive, but at that point it's kind of a momentum suck.

Other than that, this team has great synergy. I'd consider making Roserade more offensive, though, she seems to be a bit of an odd-one-out on your team. When you're resting all the time, you don't really have many safe switchins to take a lot of hits from something like a Victini if it switches in as you rest, and the rest of your team is more offensively oriented. I'd consider just putting a Life Orb on or just slapping Synthesis on there. The Natural Cure Rest thing has just never done it for me :3

This is a really cool team though, and I do like the idea of Rainy Room, I just don't think the Room part is too important to this team. Great job as always :)

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Toss 16 spe evs into rose's spe so it outspeeds qwilfish before it taunts you and modest emp.
Consider Modest>quiet on Cofag, you said umby is a problem, with modest foul play does nothing and you should still be outslowing everything anyways.

That's all i got for now, im rly tired lol, i might add some stuff later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)