PU Matchmaking (Week 6 - SD Leafeon) MEGAZARD IS INTERIM HOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Well since Alice sniped me and thus made me have to use my vote, I vote for...TONE114!
And with my tiebreaker vote, TONE114 took the lead to clinch the victory this week! Congrats to him :)

This week's Pokemon is one I have recently been having a lot of fun with and it is a very powerful mon in general. I am talking about...

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Sleep Talk

From now until Friday, you can choose one lucky PU mon to be this guy's partner for life. Good luck to all! :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
618.gif

Stunfisk @ Passho Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Filler
Stout is a nice breaker and this paralyzes monferno so it cant come in and CC after. Rocks support is always cool. Also eggy/rose bait so you can double into stout, which at worst does the below calc. More of a supportive parter, although there's plenty to capitalize on its offensive pressure.

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Exeggutor: 280-330 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

Obligatory cleaner to pair with wallbreaker. Mightyena does a good job at beating Stoutland's most popular switchins, Solrock and Metang, and takes great advantage of Stoutland softening up things like Stunfisk. Pair with entry hazards and a monferno + defensive Tangela switch in (Solrock + Roselia core?) and you'll win.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Only have two submissions, so this week we have a head-to-head competition!

*clears throat* In one corner, we have the Mega of all zards, the master of PU?, weighing in at a whopping ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ pounds, Megazard !!!

In the other corner, we have the reaper of souls, the head of analyzing cores, weighing in at a normal fighter's weight, -Grim !!!

Megazard has brought the lovely pancake fish, Stunfisk, to combat his mighty opponent's dog, Mightyena.

Who will win this showdown? Find out Monday after voting is over! :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what does the mega of all zards even mean
not voting for grim just to save him the courtesy post
oh and just to be clear vote for me bc I'm not trashed by monferno :D

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
With 4 votes, the winner this week is Megazard. Congratulations!

This week, I decided to go with a mon that I am particularly fond of as it is a great status absorber as well as a hard hitting mon. I am talking about...

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Submissions end Friday!!! Have fun :)​

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Pawniard is a cool partner with Machoke for several reasons. Together they form a core that annihilates defensive builds with ease, while they can support themselves: Machoke serves as a nice status absorber for Pawniard and can deal with walls such as Vullaby and Tangela, which give some problems to Pawniard, thanks to its combination of Knock Off + Dynamic Punch. Pawniard in exchange serves as an answer to Psychic-types that threaten Machoke, and in part Flying-types too. Pawniard could also run Pursuit to trap Psychic-types but I feel like Swords Dance takes advantage better than Pursuit of what Machoke provides. Also despite being both pretty slow they carry double priority so they in part can fix that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Pursuit

Obvious great type synergy with Metang defeating Psychic- and Flying-types and Machoke defeating Ghost- and Dark-types. Additionally Metang can Pursuit trap those Pokemon that trouble Machoke and poison Pelipper and defensive Tangela so that Machoke can defeat them (especially if using RestTalk but probably not even needed). Metang also checks Arbok which uses Machoke as setup fodder and defeats Clefairy for Machoke after Knock Off.

nv

The Lost Age
Only 2 submissions this week again :(

Anyways, we have the Steel-type showdown between Raiza's Pawniard and -Grim's Metang. Who will rise to the occasion and who will be melted down for scraps? Find out Monday.

nv

The Lost Age
Well with Holiano being the sole vote, congrats to Raiza for this week's win lol.

This week's mon is one that has been rising in popularity (s/o to Sir Kay and Tect for making me love this mon) as solid Electric check. I am talking about...

Seaking @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Return

Since Christmas is Friday, submissions will end on Thursday this week.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Brave Bird

This is my first "serious" post on Smogon, so I expect this would be correct

Vullaby can handle Grass-types that trouble Seaking, such as Tangela, Roselia, Leafeon or Sawsbuck thanks to Brave Bird. In addition Vullaby can remove hazards, which is pretty useful, along with the ability to take on many hits for him with its good bulk, as Seaking only has access to Leftovers for recovery and so will be easily worn out.
Seaking can switch on Electric or Ice moves and beat mons like Rotom-Frost, Zeb or Specs Floatzel that threaten Vullaby.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
Going to extend this until Saturday in hopes of another submission or two before moving this to voting.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry

Well then, it's one of my first posts here too.

I chose Articuno for this matchmaking; despite Seaking has access to Lightning Rod, it has terrible defenses, and a weakness to Grass-Type which is pretty annoying, because there's a lot of mons with this type in PU (Leafeon, Roselia, Sawsbuck ...).

With its typing and pretty good bulk, Articuno will handle without problem Grass-type attacks, which could be troublesome for Seaking. Among that, Articuno will wipe out these mons with his STAbs Hurricane and Freeze-Dry, which will sweep away Water-Type mons. 232 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature allow to outspeed Jolly Gabite and Adamant Leafeon/Sawsbuck. Defog will be really useful, even if Articuno takes 49% of its health with Stealth Rock, Seaking doesn't have any recovery but Leftovers, and can be severely injured by entry hazards.

In the other hand, Seaking, thanks to the Water-Type resistances (even with its poor defenses), and Lightning Rod, can switch in mons like Rotom-Frost or Zebstrika, which could be a real pain for this bird. It can also handle Fire- and Steel-Type attacks, like Simisear's Fire Blast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)