Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I do find it odd that it so far seems to be a normal school. Like, too normal of a school. Previous schools in the series taught about stuff like held items and type match-ups, but Jacq teaches... biology.
I agree to some degree but I think Biology makes some sense within the context of Pokémon being a series all about whimsical creatures. So while he doesn't teach the player abt game mechanics, he will probably be relevant for worldbuilding!

Plus, looking back to the Webinar, wild mons have unique interactions. Its possoble he teaches us about those - something like describing how Sandile will swim in sand or how you should be careful approaching Abomasnow since it creates blizzards. Could see Jacq basically being a guide on how some specific Pokémon work in the wild for you to catch them!

I agree to some degree but I think Biology makes some sense within the context of Pokémon being a series all about whimsical creatures. So while he doesn't teach the player abt game mechanics, he will probably be relevant for worldbuilding!

Plus, looking back to the Webinar, wild mons have unique interactions. Its possoble he teaches us about those - something like describing how Sandile will swim in sand or how you should be careful approaching Abomasnow since it creates blizzards. Could see Jacq basically being a guide on how some specific Pokémon work in the wild for you to catch them!
Jacq was iirc supposed to be one leading the webinar even.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Eh it still gave us a new character, mon and ability to look forward to. I really don't think it being subtitled matters much at all
Also, I heard a theory that, in addition to saving costs & likely not having time to dub, they decided it was alright to simply sub due to, you guessed, the increased popularity of VTubers. While there are English speakers, due to collabs and people just generally interested, many have gotten used to watching clips of the Japanese VTubers which has swathes of loyal fans ready to dub them.

Yes, in-world Iono is a streamer who you physically meet, but her aesthetic is based on VTubers so I don't think it's farfetched of a theory that the Pokemon Company felt okay with just a sub in this specific case. Remember, in addition to the second stream they had a third video of a quick overview of Iono and Bellibolt, they didn't need dub the streams and put them on international channels.

In a row maybe, but you know, that's also how we got Wiglett... actually, they didn't even aknowledge its existance on Eng side for like 3 days ...
Which is odd considering that presentation WAS in English.

Y'all are chatting about how broken Tera is gonna be, I'm still waiting for all Terastallized Forms to be revealed.
I actually think they're gonna keep the rest secret. Like Iono would have been the perfect time to show the Electric-type, but they didn't.

I'm also curious to see if we end up getting any unique Teras at all - maybe with a dual-typing instead of singular. At this point I'm honestly going to assume no because generational gimmicks seem to be getting more streamlined and universal over time, but at the same time, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if Charizard got its own Fire/Dragon Tera or something silly like that.
Yeah, I think if we were going to have unique Teras they would have shown them by now. I'll give them extra credit if something like if do exist and decide to keep it secret, it's not like they didn't have other things to show off with 3 stories.

Exactly! I want to know what happens if i Terastallize Bellibolt or Klawf, for example.
I think they meant in the way of wanting to see what the other Type's crowns looked like, not how certain Pokemon wore the crowns (though Klawf is a question mark there).

Penny looks too wimpy and soft to be messing with any kind of gang.
Do I really need to remind you that appearances can be deceiving? :blobnom: There's also this tidbit:
She has a bit of a shy personality, and for some reason, she doesn’t seem to come to the academy very often.
Now what's one of the things Team Star is known for?
And is she "shy", or simply hiding her "true" identity?

On the topic of a drawback for Terastal, I think it would be interesting if same-type tera didn't change damage against resists

Like say water tera barraskewda deals more damage against hippowdon and zapdos but its damage vs amoonguss and gyarados stay the same as nontera
Interesting idea, having the super mechanic make the Pokemon stronger in normal & advantageous circumstances but still held down by the same same weaknesses the Pokemon had before. Would certainly put a damper on the power creep, or at the very least make the user of the super mechanic more selective (dare I say strategic). When the game comes out and we know how Tera works, could be something worth theorymoning (possibly see if can be implemented as an experimental mod in Showdown?).

I do find it odd that it so far seems to be a normal school. Like, too normal of a school. Previous schools in the series taught about stuff like held items and type match-ups, but Jacq teaches... biology.
So what I'm getting from this is that Jacq has a secret lab where he performs illegal biological experiments (hey, gotta find some way to give us a Type: Null).

Jacq was iirc supposed to be one leading the webinar even.
From what I recall, they checked in with either Jacq or his notes when they came across "Paldean Diglett" and learned that it's infact a completely different Pokemon named Wiglett.

Also, I heard a theory that, in addition to saving costs & likely not having time to dub, they decided it was alright to simply sub due to, you guessed, the increased popularity of VTubers. While there are English speakers, due to collabs and people just generally interested, many have gotten used to watching clips of the Japanese VTubers which has swathes of loyal fans ready to dub them.

Yes, in-world Iono is a streamer who you physically meet, but her aesthetic is based on VTubers so I don't think it's farfetched of a theory that the Pokemon Company felt okay with just a sub in this specific case. Remember, in addition to the second stream they had a third video of a quick overview of Iono and Bellibolt, they didn't need dub the streams and put them on international channels.
Heck, not just vtubers but some IRL streamers get clipped and translated too so it is definitely not something unheard of.

Edit: Also regarding Penny and Team Star: She could also be picked on/pressured by them in some way that would cause her to skip school. It would also give the Player Character motivation to go after them and make it so that all 3 of the stories involve the three fellow classmates they showed off earlier.

I missed a couple things, which webinar?

I missed a couple things, which webinar?
This website.
It is related to Wiglett's reveal.
I'm guessing there's some gameplay feature they'll probably reveal. Probably related to the school, it's such a big thing and we have all those professors there, i doubt it's all set dressing. Seems like an easy thing to include with a last "proper" trailer along side a pokemon.
Give us good in-game tutorials, or give us death!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey All,

As we are finally a month away from launch I have a small present for a number of you:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scarlet-violet-leaks-thread.3709515/

The above will be the primary thread for discussing leaked information - Do not click if you do not want to be spoiled!

This thread will continue to be the primary thread for Official Information released by TCPi/Nintendo/GameFreak.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Would be nice to get a trailer to go with it as well, could show off a pokemon or feature that would show up in previews so they can actively talk about it more

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Would be nice to get a trailer to go with it as well, could show off a pokemon or feature that would show up in previews so they can actively talk about it more
For what its worth, we got the Grafaiai reveal cycle in the last week of August and the Wiglett webimar in the last week of September. I can see them doing another unusual trailer for October. Could even be a Halloween themed reveal for some Ghost mon or something (altho still would find it weird to have an unusual reveal right after Bellibolt)

Looks like previews are gonna be starting soon
I think the October 25th thing is going to be a separate reveal though but still probably SV related as it has the border used in most SV related content. Seems like the preview videos are all releasing right about now though and I'll put whatever I find here for reference before viewing later.
https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/preview/
EDIT: I think a lot of these videos may have played the game but just got the same raw footage to talk over so these will be pretty redundant.

Last edited:
Apparently, review copies have been sent and reviews may start to popping here and there. Serebii got to play the game and posted their preview (including video with new footage).

Joe didn't reveal any new Pokémon/forms but confirmed the following:
  • Shiny Pokémon are visible in the overworld
  • Wild Pokémon won't attack the player like in PLA
  • Trainer cannot move during the battle (unlike PLA)
  • Trainer battles have to be started manually (i.e., talking to them, so no need to avoid trainers)
  • Day/night is not tied to real world clock
  • There's random weather effects that can affect the player
  • When leveling up you will be asked if Pokémon should learn a new move
  • Moves can be relearned/forgotten at any time like in PLA
  • Pokémon PC is always accessible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)