Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Looks like someones extracted the full video for "Wiglett"
Wiglett is now my favourite new meme.

Reject Pooper, embrace Wiglett.

I'll be disappointed when the real name won't be anywhere as good =(

Also EZ first post on page 100 :bat:

edit:
1664359860042.png

Serebii seems to imply that's the actual name. Please don't change it, don't do this to me GF, I'm willing to take all the low polygon trees and 2 FPS animations, let me keep Wiglett and Lechonk :tyke:

Last edited:

Serebii did share the entire video. <insert rambling about the whole JP only thing, at least they bothered with subtitles for this time>

Wiglett is the confirmed name WidepeepoHappy

Pls no, I don't want it to join "uber but not really" with Dugtrio :tymp:
It can have other useful abilities too!

I just want it to be the third LC Mon with the ability and increase the chances of the ability to be banned there, something I have wanted for 3 gens already.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I can kinda see what they were going for here. They probably wanted to make a garden eel mon that resembles Diglett, bit couldn't really justify "The environment of this region turned the mole into fish", so its instead its own mon that happens to look like diglett, some convergent type beat

I think that's an interesting idea honestly, a pet peeve that I tend to have with a lot of fanmade regionals is that they often make some changes that while visually cool, wouldn't really make sense for a natural change (stuff like candy castle palossand). Wiglett covers this exact issue pretty neatly

Do wish the face was a little more different but you can't really do too much with diglett lol

Did the leaker talk about it ? Just for my information
Yes, and that is the most I will say to not break the rules.

I do like the idea of convergent evolutions, like how in real life there is the Pillbug and Pill Millipede. The former is a land-based Crustacean but the latter is, as the name implies, a very short Millipede. But they both look near identical, are the same size. and even within within the same environment, so you can find both in large numbers under a rotten log.

Last edited:
The entire conversation about how "wow it's sooooo different, it's just a pokemon that closely resembles diglett" feels like a design meeting they had during development

but man i just dont agree

that's just water diglett.... it's not even in the water!
"Would a diglett really go near beaches" i dunno would like 8 different pokemon go to the icy peaks they have no business being on and turn into an ice type (or die) and Diglett literally pops up at the beaches of Alola from time to time.
"It's so tall, that clearly means its a different pokemon from Diglett" does it though? does it really?

The entire conversation about how "wow it's sooooo different, it's just a pokemon that closely resembles diglett" feels like a design meeting they had during development

but man i just dont agree

that's just water diglett.... it's not even in the water!
"Would a diglett really go near beaches" i dunno would like 8 different pokemon go to the icy peaks they have no business being on and turn into an ice type (or die) and Diglett literally pops up at the beaches of Alola from time to time.
"It's so tall, that clearly means its a different pokemon from Diglett" does it though? does it really?
Well its diet also is different and their behavior is also radically different from Diglett....Plus as we've seen in other photos regular Diglett are also in the region. There's never been a game where an original form and its regional Variant coexist naturally; they would have to be traded or transfered from elsewhere (or in P:LA's case, spat out through spacetime). Therefore, we can assume that this new form of pokemon is for a pokemon that simillar to an original form, but not outrgiht be so dominant that its original no longer exists in the region

Well its diet also is different and their behavior is also radically different from Diglett....Plus as we've seen in other photos regular Diglett are also in the region. There's never been a game where an original form and its regional Variant coexist naturally; they would have to be traded or transfered from elsewhere (or in P:LA's case, spat out through spacetime). Therefore, we can assume that this new form of pokemon is for a pokemon that simillar to an original form, but not outrgiht be so dominant that its original no longer exists in the region
"Diet and behavior" being different is also something I'd see in a regional form. See also: the various pokemon that became jerks and the pokemon that changed because of their diet

And while Diglett is in the region its like...Diglett is in the region as part of a way to justify having Wiglett., is how I see it.

I just will never be able to see it as anything other than the designers arbitrarily thinking its "different" so it should be a new Pokemon instead of a form.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I personally think its neat that they are diving even more into ecology for mon inspiration. Gen 7 played with that concept a fair bit through regional variants being introduced, dex entries mentioning how the Pokémon Wildlife work and lots of places having worldbuilding text about how the location works with the Pokémon that inhabit it. (Also fwiw Alolan Diglett are not found near water, they're still cave encounters mostly)

This is something about the teaser that I think is being overlooked - SV will have a lot of interactions between the Pokémon and their ecosystem. The teaser shows Sandile and Krokorok swimming through sand, Psyduck going for a swim (keeping PLA's situational animations), Zangoose and Seviper hissing at one another, a lot of that stuff. I went over some speculation in a previous post of mine how a lot of text descriptions we have for the mons so far mention how they act in relation to one another (Wooper poisoning mons near itself, Grafaiai paralyzing bugs, Lechonk driving bugs away, Cetitan in a vid scaring Cubchoo). To me, today's teaser reinforces that the overworld in SV sill be much more dynamic than we've seen in SwSh or PLA

If anything I think Diglett is just kind of a weird choice for the first mon to do this concept with because its already super simplistic so they can't do much with it to really solidify the idea. Maybe we will have more convergent species in the future that do more with the idea, cause imo its a fun idea to explore with other mons

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They really stealth dropped a new mon reveal while I was sleeping, damn.

Wiglett seems really fascinating. It's "Diglett", but a Water-type who lives near the ocean and looks different. It lives in a different habitat and has different attributes from the normal Diglett, and is a totally different species.

Definitely an interesting take on a new Pokemon. I wonder if there are more Pokemon like this waiting in store among SV's new mons.

If anything I think Diglett is just kind of a weird choice for the first mon to do this concept with because its already super simplistic so they can't do much with it to really solidify the idea.
It's possible that it's actually the whole point.

They want to introduce this new concept (not quite the same pokemon v2 but not quite a regional form either), so they opted for something very simple (Diglett) to see how it's received.
If you think of it, Alolan forms were also somewhat simplistic when it came to the way they worked (Same pokemon but adapted to cold, same pokemon but fatter, etc) and they only explored the whole adaptation thing more with SwSh and Hisui with also regional evolutions rather than simply entire "regional lines". It's very possible they're opting for a similar process, and if the reception for Wiglett and whatever its evo will be (if there's one) is positive, next generation and/or next gen 9 titles will have more of this type of "alternative forms".

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Would like if there were big biology books in game (is a damn school setting after all) that would go in detail on how Wigglet come to be, as they aren't just the regional Digglet as regular Digglet didn't have to adapt, maybe it is somehow related to Digglet but thousands of years of natural evolution made the two groups distinct enough to be different species, maybe they had a common ancestor similar to bears and canines, or if they come from two completely different branches with Wigglet being an actual fish and Digglet a mammal (or they Pokémon equivalent).

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I can kinda see what they were going for here. They probably wanted to make a garden eel mon that resembles Diglett, bit couldn't really justify "The environment of this region turned the mole into fish", so its instead its own mon that happens to look like diglett, some convergent type beat

I think that's an interesting idea honestly, a pet peeve that I tend to have with a lot of fanmade regionals is that they often make some changes that while visually cool, wouldn't really make sense for a natural change (stuff like candy castle palossand). Wiglett covers this exact issue pretty neatly

Do wish the face was a little more different but you can't really do too much with diglett lol
considering pallosand is already an animate pile of sand, turning it into candy makes about as much sense as “sandshrew got lost on a mountain and is now an igloo”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)