Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Considering the Pokemon world has the technology to reconstruct living beings from DNA extracted from fossils that are millions of years old, having a synthetic meat industry is hardly a stretch.
This discussion is getting off track, I moved it to the "Mystery & Conspiracy" thread.

Well, we did have curry which used fruit, fried food, cream, and instant noodles. So, come on GF, the challenge has been raised, let us make a chocolate sandwich!

I believe that the meat in the Pokémon World is merely Pokématter, just something pokes will give you instead of dying
Hm, you mentioned PokeMatter. I too have a theory on PokeMatter, but with how I written the theory it wouldn't be good for producing food.

Do you think that Cherubi tastes like a real cherry?
According to its dex descriptions its at least tasty (and full of nutrition).

Also, this confirms Brassier is the first leader. 17 is fairly low, so his gym should be fairly close to the starting cities.
Or, you know, since you can challenge them in any order, they have a different team depending on when faced (and who knows if you done some bits of the other stories that'll also affect levels).

The lack of scaling gym leaders still seems silly to me. Like...why? It's not hard to implement, they advertised the games with "go anywhere", why not fit the challenge to the player? Instead, they have come up with an order you're supposed to tackle the gyms in, and your game will be significantly worse if you deviate from it. Stick to the rails, player.
Did I miss something? Did it mention Gym Levels didn't raise?

At last we know it is not fuecoco

OR YOU'LL GET ROCKED!

Thinking of it, something I am curious of is how Tera type will work with breeding... random? Fixed? Inherit from parents? Inherit from father? (that would actually be a interesting and creative way to get other tera types without catching)
I'd imagine random for the most part (though maybe with some formula to make it so certain Types or more common/rare or they can only get a certain batch of Types).

I'm still betting on there's a way to change Tera Types so it won't be a big deal what Tera Type a hatched Pokemon gets.

Someone in Reddit said something about it having effectively 70/107/107 defenses with Eviolite... but it still has 90 base SpA. It could jump up a tier or two but it would seem odd if it were to suddenly become amazing.
Figured, I mentioned it also because of Little Cup.

Well, we did have curry which used fruit, fried food, cream, and instant noodles. So, come on GF, the challenge has been raised, let us make a chocolate sandwich!

Figured, I mentioned it also because of Little Cup.
Well there is an episode on Babish's channel where one of the guys made several of the curries from SwSh with a few types of berries included, starting with the Noodle Curry.

Also I feel like Girafarig won't be allowed in LC since it seems a little too good for it.

I hope you have to play against a Stall team every time you boot Showdown. :psysly:

Tbh, RBY is the worst-case scenario for me.

The reason is very simple. There are absolutely zero reasons to skip Gyms in RBY. Even if you, say, skip Surge to get to Erika at a slightly lower level, what's the point if you're eventually going to come back to Surge and roflstomp him for a badge?

Sure, you can get a new mon or TM, but ultimately that makes things easier, not harder tbh.

I actually disagree that BDSP's boss teams are good.

If it weren't for the Amié/Exp. All nonsense, those bosses would be straight-up hack tier.

Massive level spikes? IV/EV training? Have you seen Cynthia's team? That's just crazy. :totodiLUL:

The AI is legit good from what I hear tho. That's always a good thing.
Fun fact, I have and without the arnie boost saving my pokemon twice I'd have getting demolished by Cynthia's garchomp.

But while certain teams were indeed a tad overtuned for the point of the game you fight them, I still think that the core design is very solid, having somewhat competitive movesets and a general strategy over just "4 pokemon of same type".
Basically dragondude from SwSh, but better executed.

Back to the Trailer, and putting aside all the technical shenanigans and damage calcs, is it me, or it looks like there won't be a wild battle theme anymore? I didn't pay too much attention to the music, but wild encounters in the trailer keep the overworld music.

Back to the Trailer, and putting aside all the technical shenanigans and damage calcs, is it me, or it looks like there won't be a wild battle theme anymore? I didn't pay too much attention to the music, but wild encounters in the trailer keep the overworld music.
Eh I wouldn't put too much thought into that aspect. I don't even think the trailers use actual ingame music but rather selected tracks.

Which makes sense, I wouldn't want to show off most of the game music already

Not fully sure if I am allowed to post this here, if not, I'll delete it

Is there a good website to follow and discuss leaks? I know there's reddit but I would rather die than to ever visit this place again tbh
Your best option if you want to avoid reddit/twitter may be the OI discord.
Afaik there's no explicit rule against talking of them there. We just rather keep them off this forum.

Not fully sure if I am allowed to post this here, if not, I'll delete it

Is there a good website to follow and discuss leaks? I know there's reddit but I would rather die than to ever visit this place again tbh
Understandable. Someone on /r/stunfisk recently got a lot of upvotes for claiming Zapdos was an offensive Pokémon in gens 1-6, and only started using defensive sets once it got Static.

The guy who replied saying he was wrong got downvoted into obscurity.

Reddit is fucking trash. But on the bright side it really helped me appreciate Smogon more.

Last edited:
MrHands Yeah it's bullshit how much mis- and half information is spread on Reddit and defended due to its circle jerking nature. I used it from 16-19 and it honestly harmed my mental health and social abilities more than any other social media. Like, I legitimately think that quitting this site was one of the best decisions of my life

ANYWAYS, back to topic

Leaks look cool. I would recommend people to stay away from them if they want to be unspoiled, as they seem to have been very accurate so far

Curious as to how Farigiraf's Cud Chew is going to interact with certain berries, like super effective damage-reducing berries like Colbur or even something like Custap Berry.

If a Pokémon with Cud Chew eats a Berry, it will eat it one more time at the end of the next turn.
Theoretically, they have the potential to be kind of dud berries to use when going for Cud Chew strats since it requires Farigiraf to be attacked by the same coverage move twice in two consecutive turns, and Custap activates at the beginning of the turn, respectively. For the damage-reducing berries, a Pokemon can go for a Dark-type move, followed by a different type of move, to dodge the potential Cud Chew-stacked Colbur Berry.

Curious as to how Farigiraf's Cud Chew is going to interact with certain berries, like super effective damage-reducing berries like Colbur or even something like Custap Berry.
We already have a precedent for this:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Teatime_(move)

Most likely, aside berries that have istant beneficial effects (HP/PP restoring, status healing, stat buffing) it'll eat the berry again but get nothing done.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Theoretically, they have the potential to be kind of dud berries to use when going for Cud Chew strats
Most likely, aside berries that have istant beneficial effects (HP/PP restoring, status healing, stat buffing) it'll eat the berry again but get nothing done.
So looking through the list of Berries these are the ones I figure for how they'll work with Cud Chew:

:blobthinking:Cheri, Chesto, Pecha, Rawst, Aspear, Persim, and Lum can technically work, but it would be pretty rare for a Pokemon to be inflicted by the (same) Status Ailment twice (so I guess Lum has a better chance as it heals any, but still unlikely).

:blobthumbsup:Leppa's "second" activation will add 10 PP to the move with the lowest PP if there's no Move with 0 (or completely fail if all Moves are at max PP).

:bloblul:Oran, Sitrus, Enigma, Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav, & Iapapa will double heal if the Pokemon still isn't at full HP after the first (and if it's not confused at the end of the turn & doesn't like the flavor of the latter 5, it'll become Confused).

:bloblul:Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, Apicot, & Starf will raise their respective stat again (Starf a stat at random).

:bloblul:Micle & Custep will make the next Move have their respective effects.

:blobsad:Type-Halving Berries, Lansat, Jaboca, Rowap, Kee, & Maranga will not have a second activation.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
So looking through the list of Berries these are the ones I figure for how they'll work with Cud Chew:

:blobthumbsup:Leppa's "second" activation will add 10 PP to the move with the lowest PP if there's no Move with 0 (or completely fail if all Moves are at max PP).
Correction based on how it currently works: Leppa Berries restore PP to the first move with any missing PP if none have 0. It sounds like a good way to make sure Recycle never runs out of PP if it's your first move. I think it'd be better to have Recycle as the second move and something you want to use a ton as the first move, especially it has 10 or less Max PP for the sake of not losing the Leppa Berry.

That said, Leppa+Recycle is only a good idea if you're playing Restricted Sparring and/or love stall and torturing your friends, especially if you have to stall to Struggle because of not having a move slot for Toxic, and there's probably better Leppa+Recycle users anyway.

Jaboca, Rowap, Kee, & Maranga will not have a second activation
Are you sure about that?

I could maybe see that being the case for Jaboca and Rowap (though they could just hit whichever Pokémon last hit the holder with an attack of the correct category), but I feel like it's probably not the case for Kee and Maranga...

What happens when you eat a Kee or Maranga Berry via Pluck/Bug Bite?

Are you sure about that?

I could maybe see that being the case for Jaboca and Rowap (though they could just hit whichever Pokémon last hit the holder with an attack of the correct category), but I feel like it's probably not the case for Kee and Maranga...

What happens when you eat a Kee or Maranga Berry via Pluck/Bug Bite?
Does the berry go off "before" the hit or "after" the hit?
If it's before it will proc before Bug Bite deals damage, so there's nothing for the attacker to take
If it's after then the Bug Biter attacker will get the immediate benefit since it "activates"

To be fair, if your Farigarif strategy involves a berry that Cud Chew can't reuse, you'd probably just run a different one of its abilities at that point.

Wanna comment on the old Stall topic: Stall doesn't do jack in VGC at this point because of Doubles, and if GF really wants to do away with it in other formats, then they'd stop designing explicitly defense-only Stall type mons at all, not even just rarely. What is Toxapex supposed to encourage besides "sit on and wear down something running rampant to slow enemy momentum"?

I've made clear in the past I consider Dynamax lazy from a mechanical standpoint as well as what it embodies for design effort, and I'll echo a sentiment I said in that topic here again: If you give a shit about balance and how it affects player experience, put some effort into the things you do for that end. If you're just going to ignore or half-ass new stuff and claim it's to improve the game design, lying through your teeth is going to make me less likely to speak well of what you're selling

Honestly I don’t know why they made Cud Chew as a unique ability when from what we can tell it’s just Ripen but for the most part worse. Unless there is a new berry introduced, some mechanic change, or if Pinch Berries are rebuffed to their Alola counterparts. If the Pinch Berries were rebuffed then Cud Chew is the better option since you have no waste with healing.

Honestly, the fact that it's mechanically slightly different and not just a Ripen clone makes the "signature thing" bloat so much more infuriating. Especially when it already doesn't seem like a great ability and is just worse than Ripen.
I think Shell Side Arm was a similar case with how the category-switching mechanic is slightly different than Photon Geyser. It's slightly better in niche cases like vs Blissey or if the user is burned, but is it really worth using such a complex mechanism instead of just copying Photon Geyser?

Honestly, the fact that it's mechanically slightly different and not just a Ripen clone makes the "signature thing" bloat so much more infuriating. Especially when it already doesn't seem like a great ability and is just worse than Ripen.
I think Shell Side Arm was a similar case with how the category-switching mechanic is slightly different than Photon Geyser. It's slightly better in niche cases like vs Blissey or if the user is burned, but is it really worth using such a complex mechanism instead of just copying Photon Geyser?
Cud Chew seems inferior to both Ripen and Harvest tbh, despite having theoretical niche advantages over both. Harvest is arguably less reliable because you have to meet the conditions to activate the berry again and the recovery chance is only 50% outside of Sun, but the ability to endlessly recycle a berry effect is generally better for meme-y stall strats than a one-off forced re-activation at the end of the following turn (I'm thinking specifically of that SubSeed Harvest Exeggutor in Randbats). Ripen is obviously better for berries that boost your offensive power because of its immediacy.

I feel like it would've made more sense for an ability called Cud Chew to grant a passive Leftovers-esque effect for the rest of the battle after consuming a berry, even after switching. There's already precedent for an effect with the same trigger conditions that lasts even after switching out and in again with the move Belch (weird that I'm mentioning it in two threads within hours of each other for completely unrelated reasons haha).

As it stands, it'll be fine for in-game at least, and tbh I don't really mind it when abilities/moves/entire mons are outclassed by others.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Honestly i don't mind Cud Chew much because it feels Dazzling the Third or Sap Sipper (If it keeps that) are gonna be the more competitive relevant abilities. Cud Chew just reads to me as a funny gimmick option for a mon that would already have 2 other pretty fine ability options either way. Say what you will about signature abils but I think its fine if they want to just make the ability fun, even if not strictly competitive, as its own little gimmick.

So running down through the trailer:

Wild Tera Pokemon: So, in addition to Tera Blast (which is likely a Move only trainer Pokemon get), any Wild Pokemon that can Terastallize will have a Move of that Type; not just the Pokemon from the Raid Battles.
So lets say Pikachu has a fire tera type. It will get a unique "tera move" of the fire type? If I understand that right, it is essentially like hidden power. Now I am wondering if it will be a special or physical move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)