Pokemon Masters

I don't like Gloria's voice. She sounds like Peppa Pig.

Also, I wonder if the reason why they based the game's diegetic interface on Porygon instead of Rotom was to emphasise the fact that this isn't based on the anime?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't like Gloria's voice. She sounds like Peppa Pig.

Also, I wonder if the reason why they based the game's diegetic interface on Porygon instead of Rotom was to emphasise the fact that this isn't based on the anime?
Probably just to separate it from the core games. Core games use Rotom, Masters uses Porygon. Also prevents Masters from making a Rotom device that GF could have used later (or accidently link them to a generation); heck, Pokemon Masters came out a few months before Sword & Shield and both games digital Pokemon take the form of a mobile phone. Now, even when Pokemon goes onto Gen 9 and create a new Rotom device (I'm betting on Smart Glasses), Pokemon Masters can still use the Porygon Phone since and not directly be connected to Gen 8.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Marnie looks so odd in normal woman beachwear:

And I don't know why I think that cause she is normally wearing a pink skirt underneath the leather jacket. Actually, I guess it's not the beachwear but she's missing her jacket & boots (though I do like she was able to find sandals with those metal diamond studs on them, lol).

Also missed opportunity to not make her EX clothes resemble Grimmsnarl, instead they oddly had it be a colorswap with Gloria's beachwear clothes (who also looks barely recognizable, when I first saw it I only guessed it was Gloria because she was with Marnie), I don't think they've done that before with two other pairs:

(Though if that was the case why doesn't base Gloria have a yellow hibiscus?)

I don't think any of the sygna suits are based on a character's alternate clothing (if applicable). I think they're all meant to be original designs that are partially inspired by the new partner they have

Like Elesa doesn't use her BW1 design, Blue doesnt use his classic design, Brock doesn't grab his FRLG design, Grimsley doesn't pull out his kimono, etc

I finally decided to give this game a try and I’m really enjoying it! I’m actually kinda addicted to it now. Hope I can pull for Piers someday, hehe.

Came back for the 2 year anniversary rally and played N's event for the first time. I never knew how much i needed N and Silver interacting and dealing with the aftermath of their evil parents.

Also, hot damn, a lot has changed. The championship league is actually difficult, there's battle points, multiple slots for sync grids...maybe I'll stick around for a bit.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Rose would be a new pair, obviously paired up with his Copperajah. I'm also going to guess maybe Synga Suit Giovanni maybe? Not sure who his partner would be, he already has Mewtwo as a partner; being this is Rainbow Rocket Giovanni maybe Necrozma or Guzzlord? Also, guessing he's mind controlling Lusamine and Guzma? Oh, and Giovanni, where's Piers? Is the Dark-type Gym Leader who controls an antagonistic team not "villainous" enough for you?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So in-depth trailer for the start of Kanto Villain Arc:

Also not sure how I feel about Misty's Sygna Suit. Not saying she doesn't look good, but at the same time she is the "Tomboy Mermaid" so would have thought of something more tougher or reminiscent of a mermaid. She's just in a fancy beach dress essentially which, and this could just be the anime fan in me, feels a bit off for her. It's a similar feeling with Marnie's beachwear. :blobthinking:

So in-depth trailer for the start of Kanto Villain Arc:

Also not sure how I feel about Misty's Sygna Suit. Not saying she doesn't look good, but at the same time she is the "Tomboy Mermaid" so would have thought of something more tougher or reminiscent of a mermaid. She's just in a fancy beach dress essentially which, and this could just be the anime fan in me, feels a bit off for her. It's a similar feeling with Marnie's beachwear. :blobthinking:
It doesn't look much like a beach dress to me, it's more....well, just a fancy dress. Very magical girl; she matches Erika's new sygna suit as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
...I think they mixed up who got Keldeo and who got Diancie
Lol, yeah, it's a funny coincidence that Diantha got the Gen 5 mythic and Hilda got the gen 6. However they wanted to dress Diantha as a knight and, unless they made it out of pink diamonds, it make more sense for her to have Keldeo to match. As for Hilda, I dunno, guess it was her turn to get a pretty & elaborate dress.

Diantha being a knight honestly might be a play on her signature Pokemon Gardevoir's japanese name being Sirknight. Like how Guzma is dressed as a samurai because his signature Pokemon is Golisopod, who is also partially based on a samurai (although in terms of partner Pokemon he probably should have gotten Kartana, but wanted to stick with the bug theme I suppose....)
It's fun to see the super girly champion and the tomboy player swap roles regardless, though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Cynthia: Is there no hope for you to change, Cyrus?
Cyrus: At least I'm not dressed up like a Final Fantasy villain summoning the devil.

(Also why is Masters trying to convince us that Cyrus is sad (or trying to push this "he can change" narrative)?. Now I'm fine with villain redemption arcs... but for villains who seem like they can be redeemed. Maxie & Archie mostly (they were pretty much redeemed at the end of Hoenn's story, they just never really "paid" for their crimes); Rose if they add him in (maybe make it the reason he's in Pasio); MAYBE Lysandre and Faba. But Giovanni, Cyrus, and Ghetsis I feel are on the unredeemable side of things. Now they've shown this with Giovanni and Ghetsis, but with Cyrus you see they're trying a redemption narrative. I guess it could teach that, no matter how much you try, some people can't be redeemed simply because they don't want to/feel they need to (though at least the Galactic admins might have a change of heart).)

I used to play Pokemon Masters a couple of years back, but got bored of it after a couple of months. I found the gameplay got repetetive very quickly and found it too basic.

It's an alright game, especially for casual gamers. But I think there are better spin-off Pokemon games out there.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I used to play Pokemon Masters a couple of years back, but got bored of it after a couple of months. I found the gameplay got repetetive very quickly and found it too basic.

It's an alright game, especially for casual gamers. But I think there are better spin-off Pokemon games out there.
Pokémon Masters had the potential to be one of the greatest fan-service games on the 8th Generation gaming market. Pokémon itself has such a dynasty of history that, in theory, a game like Masters could even give veteran-friendly titles like Smash Ultimate a run for its money. This game was so close to perfection, but it just falls short in my eyes because of the smaller issues. We all have our own opinions on gacha games, yes, but even if Masters wasn't a mobile gacha with micro-transactions, there's several things that I would fix if I had the chance. It makes me sad to harp on Masters like this knowing how much it gets right in a gaming era dominated by "new material or bust", but the general gameplay loop doesn't change at all (I'd even argue the Ranger trilogy on DS has more diverse gameplay, and that's saying something) between limited time events, surprisingly cheap A.I. opponents, and "story content" that a player could probably get through by the time I'm finished with this paragraph. Waiting months at a time for new story content, only to finish all of it within the span of 20 minutes or whatever... I'm sorry, that's not good game design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)