Entertainment Pokemon History Chapter 2: Rivalries Over the Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there!

After a lot of thinking, I decided I wanted to write a series of articles called Pokemon History in which I talk about Pokemon as part of classifications that have not yet been done by The Smog, with one article (chapter) per issue, saving this one until its time in the series. In this particular piece, I want to talk about Pokemon over the generations that were either introduced as rivals in some way or represent forces that oppose each other according to the Pokedex, in-game canonical information, or other relevant information. I plan to talk about how these Pokemon rival one another, the circumstances surrounding what makes them rivals or at war with each other, and how they have fit in to their stories in-game, in animated films, and in competitive play. I plan for this to be both entertaining and informative to readers. I will add very detailed segments in the completed writeup, as usual. :)

Mewtwo VS Mew

Scientific/genetic modification against the real thing. The first Pokemon movie illustrated this rivalry.

Zangoose VS Seviper

Two wild Pokemon in Hoenn with a long history of conflict according to the RSE Pokedex entries.

Kyogre VS Groudon

The embodiment of the sea against the embodiment of the land, further symbolized by Team Aqua and Team Magma from RSE, respectively.

Arceus VS Giratina

Arguably directly symbolic of God and Lucifer in Christianity, with one being the creator of all things and the other being an underling that fell from grace due to misbehavior and was banished for eternity.

Cresselia VS Darkrai

Legendary Pokemon that inhabit twin islands in the northwest waters of Sinnoh, with one bringing peaceful sleep and the other bestowing upon its hosts horrible dreams.

Heatmor VS Durant

Two wild Pokemon in Unova's Victory Road with a history entailing Heatmor preying on Durant for food and Durant evading its capture according to BW/BW2 Pokedex entries.

Reshiram vs Zekrom

Directly symbolic of truth against ideals according to BW/BW2 Pokedex entries. There are also a set of movies that suggest an age-old conflict involving them and strongly depict this rivalry.

Xerneas VS Yveltal

The embodiment of life against the embodiment of death, according to canonical information from the XY games as well as the XY Pokedex entries.

Title of the series (Pokemon History) subject to change. As always, thanks for this opportunity to contribute, and I look forward to writing this. All feedback or advice regarding this idea is welcomed and much appreciated. ♥

Last edited:

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Interesting. I have less feedback here since you covered all I could think of except maybe nidos here? I know they all have the rivalry ability.

And the bird trio might work too if you go by the anime.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Interesting. I have less feedback here since you covered all I could think of except maybe nidos here? I know they all have the rivalry ability.

And the bird trio might work too if you go by the anime.
I was actually considering writing an installment later about the legend trios, and I wanted the rivalries here to be just one-on-one because I feel it would create a more linear tug-of-war perspective, which is why I didn't include the bird trio. Nidoqueen/Nidoking are in the one on pairs before this one. :)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
17:46<Bummer> hmmmm
17:46<Bummer> not sure if I would approve that one either based on the current examples
17:46<Bummer> I mean, most of them are version mascots
17:46<Bummer> so obviously they beong on tw opposite sides
17:47<Bummer> belong*
17:47<Briyella|work> really :(
17:47<Briyella|work> well not all represent opposing forces
17:47<Briyella|work> Palkia and Dialga don't
17:47<Briyella|work> nor do Lugia and Ho-oh
17:48<Bummer> you've brought up half of them, but yeah, equally fair point
17:48<Briyella|work> main reason i made that one is because
17:48<Briyella|work> they contain mons that would be considered pairs
17:48<Bummer> I suppose it would fit well with the former subject
17:48<Bummer> yeah that
17:48<Briyella|work> but i couldn't fit them all into one article
17:49<Briyella|work> so i used a more specific classification
17:49<Briyella|work> well, i'll only add it if you say it's okay
17:51<Bummer> Remove Raqyaaza and Deoxys, that pair doesn't seem to fit the theme as they're more of opponents than opposites
17:51<Bummer> otherwise I'm okay with it

/greenlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)