Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

Concept art looks great. I wonder how they got a hold of it.

It's saddening that Pikachu's prescence in the concept art of Relic Castle is leading credence to the idea that Red is going to be unnecessarily shilled.
I finally got to watch the trailer and considering that there were no other protagonists in it, I'm pretty sure this is a given. It honestly kind of makes me less hyped about this, because I would love to see the other protagonists get love. I know it falls in line with all the other gen 1 pandering we've been getting, but still.

On a different note, did anyone notice that Blue looks older? I'm assuming Generations takes place a couple years after Origins.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't get why they're just using Red either so much either. I don't really consider Red any more a mascot as I do the other human characters, you can swap him out with any of the other protagonists and you'll get the same effect.

Anyway I've been meaning to ask this: What characters would you like to see a story based on?

• I'm hoping we get something on Emma, maybe a short on her job being Essentia, the hero of Lumiose City.
  • Also would like to learn more about N's upbringing, especially where Anthea and Concordia comes into the picture as they never really explained them aside of "taking care of N" (despite being around the same age as him, great parenting there Ghetsis).

I don't get why they're just using Red either so much either. I don't really consider Red any more a mascot as I do the other human characters, you can swap him out with any of the other protagonists and you'll get the same effect
Because a good chunk of the fandom, especially the genwunners, think Red is the hottest shit since sliced bread, despite the fact that all of Red's personality comes from everything outside the games (manga, Origins, etc). In game, Red is a just a kid who defeats the evil team, gets all the badges, and becomes champion. Like every other protagonist in pokemon. I don't hate him, but I dont really care about him either. As I said, he's pretty much every other protagonist.

Anyway I've been meaning to ask this: What characters would you like to see a story based on?

• I'm hoping we get something on Emma, maybe a short on her job being Essentia, the hero of Lumiose City.
  • Also would like to learn more about N's upbringing, especially where Anthea and Concordia comes into the picture as they never really explained them aside of "taking care of N" (despite being around the same age as him, great parenting there Ghetsis).
I don't really care about Emma, but more of N would be cool. I'd also like to see Silver's backstory, as well as just the other protagonists in general. Maybe we could get some stuff about what happened between RBY and GSC or BW and BW2.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't mind seeing Red in all the shorts. It brings some continuity, removes the need to introduce/build up a new character for every episode, and probably makes the job easier for the writers and animators. With only five minutes per episode, you can't convey much information about the characters anyway, and it'd be confusing for some viewers if they kept switching characters all the time, without explanation.

Besides, the "mascot issue". It seems like they want Pikachu to be in every episode too. Now, I can understand that people would like to see the other protagonists, but would we really have true variety if they all had a Pikachu? Might as well use the same protagonist and his Pikachu in every episode, rather than swapping him out for other protagonists with ten minutes of screen-time, a likewise bland personality, who also happen to have Pikachu of their own.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Besides, the "mascot issue". It seems like they want Pikachu to be in every episode too. Now, I can understand that people would like to see the other protagonists, but would we really have true variety if they all had a Pikachu? Might as well use the same protagonist and his Pikachu in every episode, rather than swapping him out for other protagonists with ten minutes of screen-time, a likewise bland personality, who also happen to have Pikachu of their own.
Or they could use the pikaclone of that season.

Red & Leaf w/ Pikachu
Gold/Ethan, Kris, & Lyra w/ Marill (yes, I know, technically not a pikaclone, however I do believe it was slightly modeled after Pikachu)
Brandon & May w/ Plusle & Minun
Lucas & Dawn w/ Pachirisu
Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, & Rosa w/ Emolga
Calem & Serean w/ Dedenne
Sun & Moon protagonists with Togedemaru

And they're 5 minute shorts which many aren't going to feature Red, all characters are not going to get any deep development. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw us in the middle of things and at the end of the episode going "Want to see what happened next/after? Go play Pokemon (Version) and find out!".

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Saw the first episode.

I'm way more optimistic about this since the all the Red stuff we saw in the trailer was in this one, and it was just a cute montage.

Also no Pokémon speak yay.

Last edited:
Just finished the first two episodes, and yup, just as I thought - anthology-style shorts. For what they are they were pretty fun; the first one in particular feeling VERY much like an intro to a full video (no actual dialogue, features the mascot and original games' protaganist, shows all regions rather than focusing on a specific story). It was nice.

Episode 1: The Adventure

They start off with actual Gen 1 gameplay here, which I felt was a great touch. As for the main content, it was basically just flashes of each of the regions and at least one legendary from there. (Kanto had Zapdos, Johto had Lugia, Hoeen had Lati Twins, Sinnoh had Regigias, Unova had Landorus (and Volcarnoa but that's not really a legend, Kalos had nothing o.o, Alola had Zygarde-100%, Kalos had Zygarde-100%). Since it's just flashes, not much to say.

Episode 2: The Chase

IT DOESN'T FEATURE RED LETS GO!

Ok so this is an amazing episode. The tl;dr version is that Looker is searching for Giovanni, raids the Viridian City Gym and doesn't find him. It's pretty cool how they show off a side character like this and I really like how they referenced the events of the games without showing Red. He was referenced sure, but not by name. "After giving badges to two trainers..." was the quote iirc. Anyway, we see the Machamp sequence here, and, well, yeah it's great. Hopefully this means we'll get to see stories of other side characters as well (the one from D/P in the forest was shown in the trailer, I don't remember the name).

Very optimistic about the rest of the series.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think about the montage that is called episode 1. There were bits of some good fights and story material but that is not something that satisfies me knowing that will never be crafted into an actual anime.

Episode 2 could have been so great if that was a full episode.

Damn it, Generations.

The videos are really nice fanservice, for sure. Seeing arbitrary locations in the video games like the Weather institute or the Relic Castle animated was really nice, especially with an orchestrated remix of the BW encounter theme. Only real complaint is Pikachu's voice in the first short.

Magnemite shorting out an electric lock made me giggle.

Now that it seems that we won't get Red and his charizard shoved down our throat each episode, I'm really looking forward to the other episodes!
Some highlights for me:
-Starting episode 1 with game footage.
-Pikachu being so adorable.
-No charizard.
-Weather Institute.
-Magnemite unlocking the gym.
-Regigigas going, "get off my lawn".

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I didn't mind Pikachu's voice. It was still cute and it wasn't using Pokémon Speak.

I liked the montage episode, but felt like some elements didn't work out completely. The Latis were just kind of there in the Hoenn segment while the other Legends actually did something, whether it be interact with Pikachu or act as segues to the next segment. Zygarde's appearance also felt pretty anti-climatic after the trailer did a really good job of presenting it thanks to the music.

I love how Pikachu used one of the floor tiles to block Heat Wave. Little things like that are great.

Episode 2 had some weird dialogue choices (the part where Looker talks about how Giovanni is charismatic didn't sound right), but was still pretty good.

Did Giovanni sound like he was voiced by Richard Epcar to anyone else?

I kind of want these to be released in anarchic order so we don't have to wait a long time to see the Gen V stuff, but I doubt that's going to happen.

All right, just saw the episodes. First things first:

Why the hell are these videos 360p lol

Episode 1:
I understand why they used game footage, I just wish they didn't use so much of it. It took almost a full minute for the actual short to start. Still, the transition was neat, so I can't complain too much.

I assume this is a different Red than the one we saw in Origins, considering he's got a Bulbasaur as a starter now. I'm okay with this, I love Bulbasaur. It's nice to see it get some exposure.

The short is mostly a montage of Red and Pikachu, so I don't have much of an opinion on it. It was nice to see all the various game locations though, and the fight scenes are dynamic. There are little things about the fights that make them more interesting, Like Probopass using it's other noses in battle, and Pikachu using a floor tile to block Volcarona's attack.

Basically, not much to say about this one. I think this episode exists pretty much to be an introduction to Generations.

Episode 2:
Right off the bat, I'm glad this episode doesn't feature Red. It'll be nice to see other Pokemon characters in action.

Also, police officers? In MY pokemon? Is this real life?

Seriously though, it is cool to see that police officers exist and actually do shit. I like how they also use Pokemon alongside them.

Seeing Looker hunt Giovonni is cool.

Last edited:
It seems largely to be an Anthology so it's short length makes sense - it's just something you have to roll with. It's not really there to give developed characters or motivations; just little short stories which give us a small clip of something happening in the Pokémon world. It is what it is.

It seems largely to be an Anthology so it's short length makes sense - it's just something you have to roll with. It's not really there to give developed characters or motivations; just little short stories which give us a small clip of something happening in the Pokémon world. It is what it is.
I understand that, but that doesn't mean I still don't want what I want lol. For what it is, it's doing fine. It's kinda like when you watch a movie, and you think to yourself, "Hey, that movie was fun." But was it actually good? Of course, maybe fun was all the movie was trying to be, and there's nothing wrong with liking movies that are just fun and nothing else (I know I have some.) But even if something is just fun, and you like it like that, doesn't mean it can be exempt from all criticism. That's pretty much how I see these shorts. They do what they're supposed to just fine, and they're fun, but are they actually good. Well, it's too early to tell, and my opinion can certainly change. But just because something is meant to be a certain way, doesn't mean I still can't say "Eh, I was hoping for a little more of this." I would love to see a unique interpretation of characters I like in an animated format. I would love developed storylines. If this show can't give it to me, that's fine, but that doesn't mean I don't still want it. Agree to disagree, I suppose. Or maybe I just like to complain lol.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Soooo epic! Apart from the region lock that forced me to rely on other channels.
Why is this English first though? The Japanese version is not released!

Giovanni has no eyebrows xD

I understand that, but that doesn't mean I still don't want what I want lol. For what it is, it's doing fine. It's kinda like when you watch a movie, and you think to yourself, "Hey, that movie was fun." But was it actually good? Of course, maybe fun was all the movie was trying to be, and there's nothing wrong with liking movies that are just fun and nothing else (I know I have some.) But even if something is just fun, and you like it like that, doesn't mean it can be exempt from all criticism. That's pretty much how I see these shorts. They do what they're supposed to just fine, and they're fun, but are they actually good. Well, it's too early to tell, and my opinion can certainly change. But just because something is meant to be a certain way, doesn't mean I still can't say "Eh, I was hoping for a little more of this." I would love to see a unique interpretation of characters I like in an animated format. I would love developed storylines. If this show can't give it to me, that's fine, but that doesn't mean I don't still want it. Agree to disagree, I suppose. Or maybe I just like to complain lol.
It's... not quite that. It's more along the lines of criticising a Horror movie for not being funny. Or a bag of jelly babies for not making you healthy. Humour and health are indeed good things that one needs, but that isn't what horror movies and jelly babies supply, respectively. It's not their purpose, and hence it's unfair to judge them on such merits.

It's... not quite that. It's more along the lines of criticising a Horror movie for not being funny. Or a bag of jelly babies for not making you healthy. Humour and health are indeed good things that one needs, but that isn't what horror movies and jelly babies supply, respectively. It's not their purpose, and hence it's unfair to judge them on such merits.
Yeah, I suppose that's right.

I hate when they do this!

I remember the animated short for BW2 that was totally ballin' and episode 2 showed the same grit that's missing from the adventures of Ash.

So much potential in a more mature pokemon anime, we never get enough from the short ones :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)