Pokemon Day Presents 2024 - Pokemon LZA 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to assume that megas won't make the jump to gen 10 so I think any hand wringing over mega power creep will probably be pretty misplaced.
Any worries should instead be placed on any new moves and new Pokemon, and probably whatever new forms-that-arent-megas

I do think this game will have online battling though, so enjoy the nightmare of that micrometa if you wish.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
One more addendum to questions about how they'll get certain Pokemon inside Lumiose: I think they can get at least all the Kalos originals in due to their small number but absolute worst case scenario they can just have Hoopa wormhole any stragglers in
Not a stretch in the slightest for all Kalos Pokémon in the game, since all Sinnoh Pokémon, including Porygon-Z, Weavile, Magnezone and Shieldon + Cranidos lines are catchable in Legends: Arceus, through Distortion for the latter four.

I wouldn’t doubt that if it take place in past, the more futuristic Pokémon and the Gen 6 fossils will be ported in by Hoopa.

So one of the contentions with the "big Lumiose City exploration game" premise is questions about how they'll fit in all these types into a city map. After giving it some thought I really don't think this is much of an issue: The whole type chart can easily be made to fit without needing to do any Terarium artificial biome-type stuff. Let's go through them all one by one.

Bug: A park or two will knock this out easily. Heck you don't even need that, even just random trees could have Scatterbug chilling in the branches.
Dark: Murky back alleys like what you see in Emma's questline in XY will do the trick here. I could imagine one with a gang's treasure being guarded by a fierce "Alpha" Pangoro alongside their Scraggy and Pancham underlings.
Dragon: Admittedly a bit trickier, namely because there's never really been a biome throughout the series consistently associated with the type. As such more case-by-case placements will be needed: A swampy puddle of stagnant water for the Goomy family, for instance, or even just having them spawn when it's raining.
Electric: I'm absolutely certain you'll go to Lumiose Badlands at some point, so the Power Plant there will be the main site for Electric types. Even if you don't, you can just plop a couple of stations within the city perimeter.
Fairy: Like Dragon they have a knack for showing up anywhere, but they're not as exotic in-universe so it's no biggie to plop em around as what I'll call "generic field mons", guys who aren't super explicitly tied to a distinct environment for survival. How about a candy store where Swirlix hang out, or rouge Mr. Mime performing in the middle of the street you can get your hands on?
Fighting: See Fairy.
Fire: A good chunk of them are generic field mons, like the Fletchling and Litleo families. The more distinctly flame-based ones like Slugma could make their home in some sort of foundry akin to Fuego Ironworks.
Flying: As it turns out, Lumiose City has a sky. Also plenty of balconies and clotheslines to perch on: Good practice for your ball-throwing skills!
Ghost: As others have pointed out, this would be a good time to implement a Pokemon world equivalent of the famous Paris Catacombs. If not that, however, abandoned buildings like the Old Chateau and Thrifty Megamart should suffice. If this is set after a post-XY timeskip, maybe the office space where the ghost girl was could be left behind and decaying with no buyers due to its haunted reputation.
Grass: See Bug.
Ground: If Lumiose Badlands is in as I expect, this is another easy one. Otherwise, though, this could be another somewhat tough one. Diggersby works fine as a generic field mon, but guys like Onix and Sandile like we saw in the trailer won't be too happy in the main city I don't think. Probably gonna need to have little caves and digouts hidden throughout the city: Just more incentive from a design perspective to add Lumiose Catacombs!
Ice: Just do another Cold Storage lol. Hmmm.... Maybe an ice cream place's back fridge where you can find frosty boys and other Pokemon based on or partial to sweets like the aforementioned Swirlix, Munchlax and Lickitung?
Normal: Generic field mons the type. I skimmed through the whole XY dex to see if any Normal from its roster would require more thought put into it and other than Dunsparce came up blank. If anything there's quite a few that feel like they could have lots of fun with in a big city: I mentioned performing Mr. Mime earlier, so how about some Smeargle showing their skills to crowds, or a sidequest where an invisible pack of Kecleon is holding up the line for Lumiose Galettes?
Poison: Insert preferred forms of city pollution here
Psychic: Sorta like Fire it's a mix of generic field mons and guys who need a more defined, Psychic-specific habitat. When it comes to Kalos original designs the only potential struggle I see is inserting Meditite, but that could be hanging around a martial arts dojo or a temple.
Rock: See Ground.
Steel: lol
Water: Lumiose already has exposed bodies of water and the parks could always have some lakes added in.
There’s definitely a ton they could fit into the city if they’re smart about it. I just think there’s only so far they can push it without some sort of terrarium-lite though, especially late game when there’s stronger/evolved mons. Like, is there gonna be a Haxorus wandering around the city? What do they do with the ocean based stuff?

There’ll also need to be a decent *number* of spawns so idk if I can see like a bunch of medicham or whatever just in the street outside a random building.

There’s definitely a ton they could fit into the city if they’re smart about it. I just think there’s only so far they can push it without some sort of terrarium-lite though, especially late game when there’s stronger/evolved mons. Like, is there gonna be a Haxorus wandering around the city? What do they do with the ocean based stuff?

There’ll also need to be a decent *number* of spawns so idk if I can see like a bunch of medicham or whatever just in the street outside a random building.
Honestly my big hang up is that while the city is large, most of that is buildings. We see in the teaser, the one that's probably going to be most exaggerated from the game, that there's honestly not very much room on these streets once you account for NPCs and objects. Because they're just...streets. And those are going to get even slimmer when we account for alleyways.

The Plazas are bigger but not THAT much bigger and we see a few as PIkachu runs around iirc. We'll probably go on some rooftops but that's only going to do so much.

OK well that's one of my big hang ups. The other is just going back to Kalos and then not doing anything at all with the other very notable landmarks of Kalos that would likely tie into Mega Evolution and Zygarde (much less Xerneas & Yveltal), followed by the arbitrariness of not being able to go through any of the gates for any reason.

Part of me though maybe we'd go to specific areas to research biomes to implement in the plazas but there's one plazathat's literally just an open area with a building in it and another that's just like...a really big building.

This is something we really need an overview trailer for sooner than later, but it's a 2025 game so....even if it was secretly early 2025 and they just didnt want to say it like that, they wouldn't show anything until much later.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I agree, I think we need a better frame of reference for just how the new Lumiose scales to the original. Incidentally, that's what I tried to do.

1709268171005.png

Here's a Bulbapedia map of XY Lumiose, presumably from a guidebook. I tried to superimpose this on top of the trailer map... and it did not go well. Try as I might, I could not get the six plazas to overlay correctly, or even close to it. This is where it's best to stop: A lightbulb will inevitably go off in your head as you realize "Oh yeah, the 2025 Nintendo Switch game is not going to 100% correspond design-wise with the 2013 3DS game". From there, you close your image editing software as you move on with your evening.

If that was your expected outcome for me, you're clearly not very familiar with how I do things.
labeledazlumiosemap.png

There is no meme here, nor any sleight of hand. I spent over an hour ctrl + xing every restaurant, pokemon center, gogoat shuttle/taxi station and all other facilities with some notable gameplay function and guesstimating where they would be on our new map. Was I fully aware of the limitations of this approach? Yes: Somehow I don't think there will only be 3 healing stations for the entire playthrough. Did it deter me? Lol lol lmao lol lol. In my defense, I didn't totally lose it: Including all the random cafes that exist solely for NPC conversations was a bridge too far even for me. That said, it's still more than enough to really give a better visualization of the amount the scale has increased. Don't underestimate how much stuff can now be crammed into just one street: For instance, all the stores that once took up the entirety of Vernal Avenue now don't even reach halfway up its length! I hope the shuttle Gogoats are being taken good care of, they got a lot more ground to cover.

My big hope for LZA is the return of proper dungeons. I assume it has to happen in some form, since they'll need to divide the city into areas with and without Pokemon spawns and having explorable buildings with trainers and/or Pokemon inside naturally creates something like the classic Silph Co.- or Pokemon Mansion-style dungeons. Beyond the basics, though, there's so much room for secrets and interesting spaces in a fully fleshed-out city.

I think it's a reasonable possibility that we'll get city outskirts of some kind - I certainly wouldn't expect them to extend much farther than where routes were in the original game, but even just parts of Routes 4, 5, 13, 14, and 16 would do a lot to increase biome diversity and add more potential spawn locations to the game. Nothing as expansive as the individual zones in PLA, but enough to give some more visual variety.

Pre-release material up to this point has been pretty clear that this game takes place in Lumiose City, but I don't think we can strictly rule out the idea yet that we are definitively locked inside Lumiose.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think it's a reasonable possibility that we'll get city outskirts of some kind - I certainly wouldn't expect them to extend much farther than where routes were in the original game, but even just parts of Routes 4, 5, 13, 14, and 16 would do a lot to increase biome diversity and add more potential spawn locations to the game. Nothing as expansive as the individual zones in PLA, but enough to give some more visual variety.

Pre-release material up to this point has been pretty clear that this game takes place in Lumiose City, but I don't think we can strictly rule out the idea yet that we are definitively locked inside Lumiose.
Here's another thought I just had to increase Pokemon diversity: Seasons.

This is meant to be a massive redevelopment project that I'm assuming the player will have some involvement in. Such a massive project takes YEARS to finish (well, more like decades, but in the Pokemon World things are sped up thanks to Pokemon labor doing most of the heavy lifting). If, as I'm assuming, we're going to be part of the development we'll see it progress throughout the story, likely jumping ahead in time at certain points.

So, this could be a chance to have seasons be a mechanic. At first the seasons are "locked" as the story requires them to be, but there will be points where we're free playing and the seasons will be allowed to cycle (maybe it'll change every week so players don't have to wait long).

• Summer will have an increase in Fire & Dragon Pokemon as they enjoy the warmer weather.
  • Autumn is when Flying & Bug Pokemon are coming through following their migration & hibernation instinct.
  • Winter will make the usual rare Ice & Ghost Pokemon come out to enjoy the chill.
  • Finally Spring will be the time for Grass & Fairy Pokemon to greet the return of greenery.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Two more random hopes I will bring up since I've not yet seen anyone else do so:

-100% new protagonist designs. Rei and Akari were peak but this time I'd prefer if they didn't do the isekai thing even if it's set in the past. Give us the Kalos versions of Nate and Rosa, I want a region to have two unique protagonist pairs again.
-If it's in the present, Adult Calem and/or Serena superboss. We're long overdue for another go at the Red concept and it'd be hype as hell to do so with a decade+ wait behind it. Here's a team I made to demonstrate!

Iirc they mentionned "harmony" in the trailer. There are fkin krookodiles in the streets. There are battles, as the aegislash scene showed. Pokémon live alongside human, But I have not seen a pokeball. Maybeit means something

As someone who genuinely didn't mind that Paldea had almost no buildings, the idea of just exploring a city full of them is not exactly appealing. I'm more curious to see how many Pokemon the dex will have. It's interesting the teaser apparently didn't show any from gens 7-9.

I also wonder if regional forms will be present at all. After SV barely had them to focus on Paradoxes (and I guess the convergent lines) I could see them just adding Megas. It would be cool to have a first reveal of new ones mirror the XY Corocoro issue which introduced the concept.
Two more random hopes I will bring up since I've not yet seen anyone else do so:

-100% new protagonist designs. Rei and Akari were peak but this time I'd prefer if they didn't do the isekai thing even if it's set in the past. Give us the Kalos versions of Nate and Rosa, I want a region to have two unique protagonist pairs again.
-If it's in the present, Adult Calem and/or Serena superboss. We're long overdue for another go at the Red concept and it'd be hype as hell to do so with a decade+ wait behind it. Here's a team I made to demonstrate!
Repeating the isekai route could get old very quickly, and I feel like while they made it work in LA (it was a fast and easy way to have the protagonist discover the world alongside the player, but it was also kind of contrived at times) it's kind of unnecesary. I hope they do indeed just have protagonists from whatever period the game is set in. Just have them be unfamiliar with the city project.

Honestly I think in general not nearly as many things from Legends Arceus will actually be in Legends Z-A

So many things are very specific to that game and I know it's only the thing we have to go off of, but even just the premise of this one alone shows it's going to be pretty different in other ways.
And that goes double for story conceits.

I agree that despite being in the same sub-franchise LA and LZA appear to be very different games and we shouldn't expect Legends: Arceus but with a Kalos skin. Even the trailers have very contrasting tones with LA invoking the past while LZA invokes modernity with the tron lines 3D blueprint for Luminose City. The release of this game shows that the supposed patterns are fans creations and relying on them to predict something in the future games is little better than wishcasting besides the fact that one datum doesn't make a pattern.

If they really are going for this modern theme it would make sense for the whole game to take place only in Luminose City and it would add another contrast to LA which is more about exploring the wilderness.

I don't know what to feel about it on one hand it would be very interesting to finally have a fully realized Pokémon city in the games and explore more of this urban fantasy side that the franchise had since the begging but that rarely comes to take the center stage and it would help to justify a smaller DEX than XY if they go for it as it would take place in one city instead of a whole region. On the other hand it feels like a waste to revisit Kalos and see only Luminose, at least Geosenge should be included and it would be so weird to have a bunch of legendary and mythical pokémon in only one city. This would work much better in Kanto because the region is so well explored that it would be okay to focus on only Celadon/ Saffron and really expand on those cities.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since you brought this up, this raises interesing questions about the mythicals in general. In PLA, we had Manaphy, Darkrai, and Shaymin all catchable in the game, the first one being a side quest, and the other two being save file bonuses for having a save file of BDSP and SwSh respectively on the same Switch account.

I expect Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion to be catchable here, but I wonder if any of them will be save file bonuses. Maybe at least one will be an SV save file bonus.

Repeating the isekai route could get old very quickly, and I feel like while they made it work in LA (it was a fast and easy way to have the protagonist discover the world alongside the player, but it was also kind of contrived at times) it's kind of unnecesary. I hope they do indeed just have protagonists from whatever period the game is set in. Just have them be unfamiliar with the city project.
I think Calem and Serena's actual designs are too iconic to not reuse in some capacity. They've had so much time to build up a fanbase and popularity and the latter is especially popular (in part thanks to the anime helping like it did with Dawn) so I would expect their base designs to at least look like Calem and Serena, being doppelgangers of some sort. I bring up doppelganger because that's what Rei and Akari actually are, and what other media outside of Arceus has continually implied: they aren't actually the original Lucas and Dawn, but by happenstance they somehow look almost exactly like them.

The Nate/Rosa route worked because BW1 and BW2 were back to back and in the same time period and Hilbert+Hilda and Nate+Rosa end up meeting many of the exact same characters because the stories are only two years apart. BW2 largely rides off of people who played BW1 just before revisiting this region again stepping into the shoes of a different character but seeing many of the same characters again. It's a similar vein to GSC being a sequel to RBY (which is what BW2 was trying to replicate, with Gen 5's gimmick being "it's a Gen 1 expy"). This game doesn't really have that, it'll likely be in a very different time period from XY with different characters and it's been years since XY came out which means new players will be introduced to Kalos for the first time here, while first time XY players are here over a decade+ from when they first played X and Y.

In any case, however, they may pull a different spin on how the Calem and Serena doppelgangers ended up becoming the protagonists of Legends: Z-A and this story. After all, before we found out about the isekai stuff in PLA many of us unironically thought Rei and Akari were Lucas and Dawn's ancestors. And since XY was another one of those games that had the player character you didn't choose serve an NPC role, I expect that to happen again here.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Idk if this has been mentioned (every time I come back to Smogon this thread has jumped forwards by 2-3 pages and I'm not going to read them all) but one theory I read was that Pokemon Z - or whatever the upper version/s would have been - would have given all three Kalos starters their own Bond Phenomenon, with each starter taking on characteristics of their trainer. The customisation feature in XY would have played into this, allowing each transformation to be subtly different depending on what clothes/hair the player had.

Since Serena had Fennekin and Clemont had Chespin in the anime, presumably the anime would have followed suit with Serena-Delphox and Clemont-Chesnaught if this was ever the case - crap names, but god, it's such a missed opportunity that there was never one series of the anime in which all three starters reached their final forms. Obviously, Ash-Greninja was the only one this was ever the case for.

But yeah, whether or not that was ever the plan, it'd be a cool thing to do in this game. It's more interesting than just giving them three ordinary megas like the Kanto and Hoenn trios got - if any trio of starters should get a slightly unique twist on Mega Evolution, it should be these three. And it would neatly square the circle of Ash-Greninja vs Greninja having a regular Mega - Ash-Greninja is just one of many variant Bond Phenomenon forms Greninja (and its brethren) has. If LZA is set in the future, perhaps the way of explaining this is that Bond Phenomenon has been studied and researched in the intervening years and become more fully understood, allowing for Delphox and Chesnaught to access the ability as well. I mean, this is almost the lore already - in the Adventures manga, Y's Greninja has Battle Bond as its ability (though it's never used as far as I'm aware). I would imagine if her Greninja ever transformed it'd become Y-Greninja. The only reason it was Ash-Greninja in the games and not "[player's name]-Greninja" was because it was deliberately intended as an anime tie-in. But now it needn't be.

As for how to square the circle of Battle Bond being a separate existing form and not a regular ability, just alter the game code to make Battle Bond Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja's second regular ability I guess? I assume that could be done with finessing.

One other thing I'd like to see retconned (or at the very least refined) is the origin of Mega Evolution. In XY, we're rather uninterestingly told that the first Pokemon to Mega Evolve was a Lucario...

...backstory.
Wow, check out that lore - so rich, so deep.
...which presumably happened not long after the Ultimate Weapon was fired 3000 years prior to XY, as the energy it dispelled and irradiated various evolution stones and became attuned to the energies of specific species. But we don't get much else beyond that.

Perhaps realising how dull the lore XY provided was, ORAS completely overrode that and instead strongly inferred that Rayquaza was the first Pokemon to mega evolve - not counting Groudon and Kyogre's Primal forms which are, as the name would suggest, not technically mega evolutions.

You can just about reconcile these two stories if you accept that Lucario was the first one-to-one, trainer-to-Pokemon mega evolution - Rayquaza evolved thanks to "the wishes of the Draconid people", so was likely considered more of a group effort even though it was channelled through a single individual (the Lorekeeper), and wasn't achieved via the use of a species-specific mega stone. Lucario basically got the "credit" for being the first widely-known occurrence of the phenomenon.

Either way, though, it's kind of disappointing that the origin of mega evolution is either a.) so utterly barebones or b.) not actually Kalos-centric. I get that the contradiction is part of the story here, but if we're returning to Kalos anyway then we're almost certainly getting some expansion to what's there so the Hoopa's out of the bottle and it'd be nice if this supposedly Kalos-native phenomenon was... a bit more Kalos-native.

Like, I don't actually think that the first Pokemon to ever mega evolve necessarily has to be a Kalos species - Lucario certainly makes sense given the species' characteristics. It might be interesting if it were Diancie, though! As another super-ancient Pokemon with ties to iconic Kalos locations I feel that there's a definite scope for a story to be told there (and it, too, could benefit from a lore expansion in any case... gee, it's almost like that's something of a recurring theme with all things Kalosian! Funny that)

Was Ash-Greninja in the updated sprites shown a while back? Megas were in there (and I thought they were just future-proofing for a potential gen 10 comeback but here we are) so that could be a clue about them wanting to bring it back or not.

I don't care much about the concept in all honestly, but the Kalos starters should get something. I never liked how the Kanto starters overshadowed them so much in their own games.

Xerneas and Yveltal are also some of the few cover legends without any kind of form/fusion (the only other ones being the tower duo) so I will be surprised to not see them get something like Dialga and Palkia did (Megas seem like the most obvious but who knows, maybe they retcon their lore somehow to give them 100% forms or something, trough that should stay for Zygarde only if you ask me).

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Was Ash-Greninja in the updated sprites shown a while back? Megas were in there (and I thought they were just future-proofing for a potential gen 10 comeback but here we are) so that could be a clue about them wanting to bring it back or not.

I don't care much about the concept in all honestly, but the Kalos starters should get something. I never liked how the Kanto starters overshadowed them so much in their own games.

Xerneas and Yveltal are also some of the few cover legends without any kind of form/fusion (the only other ones being the tower duo) so I will be surprised to not see them get something like Dialga and Palkia did (Megas seem like the most obvious but who knows, maybe they retcon their lore somehow to give them 100% forms or something, trough that should stay for Zygarde only if you ask me).
While I think Xerneas+Yveltal having megas would be a bit much, I'd like to see them both get some kind of powered-up state and I think a neat way to do that would be to make better use of their abilities - this is assuming abilities make it into LZA in some form, of course. But Fairy Aura and Dark Aura are such incredibly underwhelming abilities for Pokemon on Xerneas and Yveltal's level - they don't really need the boosts all that much, and while I appreciate the thematic linkage with Zygarde, both of them still beat it hands-down anyway. And since Zygarde-Complete can't even make use of Aura Break anyway the interplay becomes even less relevant than it was at first.

So instead, why not make Fairy Aura and Dark Aura the key to triggering their powered-up forms - let's call them Xerneas Overdrive Mode and Yveltal Desolation Mode because why not - perhaps working on a similar basis to Battle Bond; if they defeat a foe, they become imbued with power and transform into a more powerful, primal (if you will) version of themselves where their life/death powers are turned up to eleven. Perhaps they even get new abilities in this form - off the top of my head Xerneas could restore its teammate's health each turn (basically a psuedo-Leftovers) while Yveltal could steadily drain the foe's health each turn (basically a pseudo-Leech Seed).

Of course, these ideas might be a bit overpowered and if this game has a battle system unalike the main series and more akin to L:A it'll probably work completely differently but you get the gist of what I'm going for. IMO Xerneas and Yveltal are two of the better-designed mascots in the series so they're not Pokemon I especially want to see redesigned but a pair of hypothetical powered-up forms don't even really need to be new designs. Personally I imagine them as looking more akin to the power boost totem Pokemon receive in Alola.

Ash-Greninja & Eternal Floette both were

Granted, "Battle Bond Greninja" (& all the other of its "has to have a separate version internally" ilk) also technically had its own sprite....but Silvally only has its normal type version....and then there's the fact that it just wanst in SV at all and in a quantum state in the anime...Honestly I wonder if even they don't quite know what to do with it.

As for new Xerneas (granted it DOES have an alt form its just worthless) & Yveltal forms, to go with the balance/imbalance theme maybe an "overdrive" state would work for something full?
Overflowing with Life/Death energy, basically. The balance is completely gone.

E: I should also point out Ultra Necrozma also got an updated mini sprite and ngl I don't think that's going to be in this game.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Honestly I think in general not nearly as many things from Legends Arceus will actually be in Legends Z-A

So many things are very specific to that game and I know it's only the thing we have to go off of, but even just the premise of this one alone shows it's going to be pretty different in other ways.
And that goes double for story conceits.
The only things I think are nigh-guaranteed to return from PLA are the catching mechanics and the general focus on enhanced player action. Everything else is probably open season

I just wanted to write somewhere this: one of my worries about mounts after SV was them not feeling natural anymore, as opposed to Koraidon/Miraidon having actual reasons to work as multitasking ones. But if they actually gave Zygarde more forms and had it be our partner, maybe we could collect cells to unlock the other mount forms. It would work for me even if it may be too similar to SV.

Of coursr it feels unlikely given 50% is not exactly designed to move in any special way and I doubt we would get underground, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)