Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either a Squirrel or a Bird for Grass starter position? Would be interesting to see a Grass/Flying type as one of your starting Pokemon. Jumping off the topic of starting Pokemon I'm just can't wait to hear/see the list of new TMs and new moves in generally. I hope they give some older Pokemon better toys to play with.

Yeah, but I'm thinking Gamefreak will continue with the secondary types for the final evolutions of starters.
They might, but there's no need for them to do so. The GSC starters were no worse than starters of other groups, and they've had at least one mono-type fully evolved starter in every game except DPP. Plus, Fire has never had a mono-type fully evolved starter outside of GSC: That by itself would make it interesting.

I'm hoping for the starters to end up as:

Mixed-focus Fire
Special-focused Grass/Dragon (Sceptile should have had this typing, but they can still do it)
Physical-focused Water/Fighting (or maybe Dark or Flying; mono-Waters are too ubiquitous to be interesting)

I also want to finally see a Fire/Ghost type, which seems like a natural type combination that has been overlooked. However, gaining the Ghost type through evolution seems very odd and unlikely except in a case of strange evolution similar to Shedinja, so the Fire starter can't become a Ghost-type.

So any guesses on how the new starters will look like? Im really hoping they dont use a turtle again >_<

I was picturing a cat as a fire starter, which eventually becomes a huge fire lion!
I came up with this design about three years ago:

Evolution:
Firoar -> Leofrite -> Lyonite
Fire/Ghost

I have sketches of the first two stages as well, but I didn't take any pictures of them at the time... >.<

I also had sketches for the other two starters:

A Grass Pokémon based on moss that evolved into a Grass/Dragon based on a pine tree. (Had wooden horns, tree-stump-esque frontal legs, and a pine tree-esque tail.)

A Water Pokémon based on a Japanese fighting fish that evolved into a Water/Fighting... larger Japanese fighting fish, with traces of Jamaican culture and a similar hair style. (I imagined some sort of Eddy-esque breakdance fighting style. Don't worry, I made it look natural... >.>)

But seriously though, it's freaky reading these responses. It's like you're all in my head!

The grass starters have always had a reptilian form: Dinosaur, Dinosaur, overgrown Gecko and overgrown Turtle.
Maybe it's because the green hue implied by grass lends itself to reptiles more so than other land animals.
In fact, of all the grass types only a few have unambiguously mamalian forms.
Leafeon was kind of forced to be so, as an Eeveelution, and Shaymin also comes to mind.
It would be easy to guess another reptile as the grass starterbut Nintendo might just surprise.

Fire/Fighting is a great pair of STABs (good coverage and several high BP moves) but maybe we'll get a different typing for Gen 5.
The problem is that Fire/Fighting is one of the best dual types for a Fire starter as most other likely combos (ie it can't combine with other starters' primary) simply compound weaknesses.
Dragon is good but I don't see them giving a starter a dragon typing.

Fire/Steel, Water/Bug, and Grass/Rock would probably work as a trio but I don't recall there being a starter with bug features. That's one of the 'mean' types.
But I think third stage starter forms are allowed to look mean (eg. Swampert, Feraligatr) so the final could br a tough bug while the preevies could be cute water larvae.

Fire/Ghost could be an awesome combo?

Btw, Kingler( Krabby) and Crawdaunt (His pre evo) are crabs already, so it would be somewhat...
Water/Fighting (Something like Galade, but with fins)Might be something cool too, of a GOOD Water/Flying, since Pelli and Manti suck, kind of...

Btw, everything Grass needs, is a few good non- Support moves, or some better diversity out of grass, poison and Hidden Power...

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fire/Ghost could be an awesome combo?

Btw, Kingler( Krabby) and Crawdaunt (His pre evo) are crabs already, so it would be somewhat...
Water/Fighting (Something like Galade, but with fins)Might be something cool too, of a GOOD Water/Flying, since Pelli and Manti suck, kind of...
Erhm, Poliwrath and Gyarados? >_________>

Poliwrath is great at what he does, and Gyarados, can you really ask for better than an eternal "top 10" poke for a "good" pokemon.

I'd kind of like to see Water/Fighting + Levitate on an offensive-tankish pokemon though. That combo resists Ground, Rock, Water, Ice, Fire, Bug, Dark and Steel, basically all the major physical attacking types (and some major special ones) of OU except for Dragon and Fighting. I think people who play CAP already know how ridiculous Water/Fight can be defensively-- throw on Levitate and it'd be rediculous. :P

Admittedly, Water/Flying defensive type with consistant Water/Flying STAB (Bounce is not consistant . . .) would be really nice to see.

I'd kind of hope for special to give us something quite different than gyarados. I'd like to see some kind of flying-bug thing, just so we could get compound eyes. Can you imagine something like:

Water/Flying
Compound Eyes
~Hydro Pump
~Air Slash
~Focus Blast
~Blizzard

With bulky special-sweeper stats and ~100 speed? :P

Btw, everything Grass needs, is a few good non- Support moves, or some better diversity out of grass, poison and Hidden Power...
Grass is weak to 5 types and resisted by 7. It's a crappy typing to be, defensive or offensively no matter how you look at it.

The only thing grass has going for it is that it hits a few key types super effective, the most important being WATER, and ground to a lesser extent (why use grass when you can use water or ice? Especially with Gliscor around). This means that Grass is a some-what desired secondary type attack by some pokemon who are not grass-types (mostly water and fire types, again so that they can hit water types super effective).

The main reason why grass types would be desirable is because water pokes are so bulky and dominating that just hitting them super effective without STAB is often not enough. Random grass attacks are no achilles heal to water the way random Ice Beams are to dragons, especially when some key grass types (Vaporeon, Tentacruel) can easily shrug off grass knot, the main widely distributed grass attack.

But as such a crappy typing, you got to be ridiculous to make OU as a grass type.

Let's look at our 3 OU Grass Types:

Breloom: Acts more like a fighting type who happens to get Spore and Leech Seed. Seed Bomb is one of the most insignificant parts of the picture. 130 base attack, Spore, 2x lefties heal + status immunity and STAB Focus Punch is pretty ridiculous, and breloom is held back only by low speed (and overall low BST) and-- it's grass type weaknesses (though those resistances are ridiculous).

Celebi: has 600 BST, Recover + Natural Cure. Yeah, that's ridic.

Roserade: Movepool + the stats to work with it-- Toxic Spikes, Spikes and Sleep Powder (+ Natural Cure). Can you imagine if this thing had been a water type instead of grass with the same movepool (with water STAB and Ice beam)? It'd have been INSANE.

If these pokes had been blessed with a typing other than grass, they would have been top OUs in my opinion.

Hey guys! The 5th generation pokemon has been rumored to be revealed:

serebii said:
Normally I don't post rumours such as this, but these two pictures seen on the right have been posted in the Japanese image boards and they seem to be believing it also. If these scans are legitimate, it reveals the sihlouetted Pokémon and its apparent pre-evolution. With thanks to yaminokame for translations, we have the details posted in the scan.
First, the pre-evolution Pokémon is called Zoroa (ゾロア) and is a Dark-type Pokémon. Its classification is Evil Fox Pokémon, it is 0.7m tall and 12.5kg
Secondly, the Pokémon in the sihlouette is said to be called Zoroaaku (ゾロアーク)and is also a Dark-type Pokémon. Its classification is Monster Fox Pokémon, it is 1.6m tall and 81.1kg
Remember, this is possible to be a fake, albeit a very convincing one but fakes are becoming that good as of late, so don't take it as fact yet. We'll bring more on this as and when it comes so be sure to check back

Both look like a big let-down.. only makes me fear for the rest of the creatures/color schemes/ideas.

So far my predictions are correct [if those are legit]

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well looks like we were right in that it was in the Lucario vein, being the 5th Gen mascot. Looks quite interesting, though it'd be nice if it was Dark/Fighting. and the pre-evo is also quite cute.

Exactly. I was thinking Lucario too. The fact that it has a pre evolution. If riolu only evolves in the day, you think zoroa (the prevo) only evolves at night?

Remember it could be a fake, it's very likely as I've seen some artists create fake Pokemon(for fun) and they are really realistic. I do like the design however =]

That could be an EXCELLENT fake, if it is, I value it more than actual information. Look at the gloss on the covers! They replicated a full-blown magazine!

If its real I kinda disapointed it's only dark-typed, fighting/dark would've been nice. I guess theres not that many pure dark types thought, only Umbreon (UU), Mightyena (NU), Absol (UU) and Darkrai (Uber).

By the look of it it definetely looks like it would be able to use either physical attacks or special attack (possibly both) and it would make a lot sense it if learned nasty plot.

I guess we'll see soon whatever its real or not.

It's a great design, but I was hoping for a type we hadn't seen before (dark/fighting). If it's not fake, then fine, at least that shows their designs have been slightly improved. The black wisps on the red tips is a very nice touch. It will probably be pure dark, but I would hate for it to be dark/fire, as it won't have much of a shot in OU (unless it has >100 base speed).

I noticed people talking about the starters, I would love for a dolphin starter. They haven't had a dolphin pokemon yet, and that could have many different secondary typings.

dark/fighting would totally rock. I guess it's still possible...
Mabye only the pre-evo is pure dark, like riolu is pure fighting. It could totally compare to luke, like milotic compares to gyarados, in preevo, sprite and stats!

Just because this Pokemon isnt dark/fighting doesnt mean that the generation wont have one of those types. I do hope the new Pokemon are animals we havnt seen in the series yet, such as the Dolphin one mentioned above.

i don't think a dolphin STARTER would work, since generally they seem to be amphibious. Team uber had this funny punching dolphin sprite (i think it was a cap thing). I'd love to see a dolphin pokemon too...

Well I would like to disagree with the color. I personally love it, and I'm hoping it's legit. If it is, this critter is getting in my 5th gen team;>

Mmm pure dark type...hopefully they will provide him with a good stat distribution, which I am sure they will since it seems like another lucario-like pokemon.

Looks good!!! Evil fox? hm, I'm gona take a guess, cause its a slim looking figure, It seems its gona be one of those fast types. 100+ base speed I'm saying ;]

Oh god, I really hope that's fake, because that is ugly as hell. And mono dark typing? That's original...

I find it odd that if someone were to find this in a magazine, and wanted to take a picture of it, why wouldn't they position it so that they could see the right half of the pokemon as well. I think (and hope) it's fake.

the typing is a bit disappointing but then again dark is fine as long as they provide him with some good stat distribution + movepool (lucario case). As for the looks, I am very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)