Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

Not necessarily a bug more like an oversight

please add steely spirit’s bonus with perrserker being legal now thanks

Spectral thief is stealing negative stat changes on the calc when it should only be taking positive changes

Is there any plan to update the Calc for Gen 2 Present damage/glitch? It's probably the single most difficult thing to understand for new players to GSC and even non-new players in how much damage Present will do in Gen 2 to something, and currently the Calc does not reflect it accurately and hasn't for years. It will basically obliterate you if you don't know the damage.

Is there any plan to update the Calc for Gen 2 Present damage/glitch? It's probably the single most difficult thing to understand for new players to GSC and even non-new players in how much damage Present will do in Gen 2 to something, and currently the Calc does not reflect it accurately and hasn't for years. It will basically obliterate you if you don't know the damage.
Blissey Present vs. Vaporeon: 308-363 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey Present vs. Cloyster: 370-435 (122.1 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Blissey Present vs. Raikou: 339-399 (92.3 - 108.7%) -- 53.8% chance to OHKO

These are all 120 BP, coming straight from the damage calc.

Blissey Present vs. Vaporeon: 308-363 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey Present vs. Cloyster: 370-435 (122.1 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Blissey Present vs. Raikou: 339-399 (92.3 - 108.7%) -- 53.8% chance to OHKO

These are all 120 BP, coming straight from the damage calc.
I'm dumb I wasn't adjusting the BP at the bottom, ty!

*edit* would be nice if it could show all possibilities though, or allow you to adjust the BP with a button instead of manually inputting 40/80/120 (sort of like with multi hit moves letting you pick how many hits)

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
1692818636955.png

This is the default zoroark display in rands for both of them. Puts both level 0 and funnily enough display the level 100 speed.

Shouldn't it displays them to the level they are supposed to be in rands?

View attachment 545241
This is the default zoroark display in rands for both of them. Puts both level 0 and funnily enough display the level 100 speed.

Shouldn't it displays them to the level they are supposed to be in rands?
Zoroark does not have a set level in Randbats. Its level is set equal to the level of the last member of your team, since otherwise the incorrect level could give away that it's a Zoroark.

Hi, I think triple kick is calced incorrectly? On the calc it is 3 hits at 30 bp, but I think it's actually 10,20,30 bp so should be 3 hits at 20 bp.

(Currently with technician it has an effective power of 135, which would be very cool but sadly I don't think that's the case)

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Unsure if this has been reported yet but the calc isn't pulling BH sets properly. For Pokemon where the base is "in the game" (in the normal sense) but the forme isn't (such as Mega Diancie and Primal Kyogre), the calc reads these sets as for the base Pokemon only, when (despite the dex not showing the alternate forme) the set export gives the correct forme.
1693663083614.png

1693663112100.png

For Pokemon that aren't "in the game" in the normal sense altogether, like Mega Steelix, their sets just aren't showing up in the calc period (for reference my Mega Steelix analysis was uploaded on the 22nd and according to github the last refresh was well after that). IDK if this is a weird interaction with National Dex stuff, but ND mons seem to have perfectly fine importables.

Hai, I am trying to input this specific set of Seadra as a custom set to make handy calcs (l'm playing a romhack), but for some reason it keeps repeatedly changing my special attack IV to 30 instead of the 19 it's supposed to be. I'm plugging the mons into showdown first, so there shouldnt be any problems with the formatting/syntax.

Seadra
Ability: Sniper
Level: 25
Tera Type: Electric
IVs: 25 HP / 22 Atk / 12 Def / 19 SpA / 15 SpD / 20 Spe
- Bubble Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Aurora Beam
- Clear Smog

Usually it correctly shows 19 SpA the first time I import it, but when going to Seadra, then any other mon and then back to Seadra, the SpA-IV is suddenly changed to 30 for the rest of the time. I experimented with it a little bit and it seems like it has something to do with having HiddenPower in its moveset, since it generally wants to maximize IVs when it detects hidden power in the moveset l guess. I can understand wanting to implement it that way for normal competitive stuff, but it's really inconvenient if you want to calc with very specific non-optimal IVs for non-competitive calcs

Last edited:
Hey, currently Dipplin is showing on the calc as unaffected by Eviolite when in-game and in showdown battles eviolite does actually affect its defenses.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dl-gen9nationaldexdraft-102046
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dl-gen9nationaldexdraft-102047

Problem
These replays show some calcs with surging strikes. A friend and I played a draft game and I noticed my surgin strikes calcs were off so we tested two things above. We showed the calc vs sylveon which said the max was 62% and I did 75%. We brainstormed a few things and tried it vs a shell armor mon to see if the critting is causing a bad calc. So in game 2 the damage was correct. We then thought maybe critting was bugged so we ran a game with shifu single but that game was correct. So somewhere surging strikes is bugged wether its on showdown or on the pokemoncalc site.

Edit: We also tested in both Pre-DLC Natdex and Regular Natdex and the outcome was the same. This is also in the custom servers bug report incase it is an issue for them.

jetou

is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dl-gen9nationaldexdraft-102046
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dl-gen9nationaldexdraft-102047

Problem
These replays show some calcs with surging strikes. A friend and I played a draft game and I noticed my surgin strikes calcs were off so we tested two things above. We showed the calc vs sylveon which said the max was 62% and I did 75%. We brainstormed a few things and tried it vs a shell armor mon to see if the critting is causing a bad calc. So in game 2 the damage was correct. We then thought maybe critting was bugged so we ran a game with shifu single but that game was correct. So somewhere surging strikes is bugged wether its on showdown or on the pokemoncalc site.

Edit: We also tested in both Pre-DLC Natdex and Regular Natdex and the outcome was the same. This is also in the custom servers bug report incase it is an issue for them.
Fixed.

Howdy! I wanted to inquire and opine about a calculator implementation, so I bit the bullet and signed up for the forums after putting it off for quite some years. It may be a little bold for a first forum post, but hey, Smogonbird taught me to live fast and die hard. Speaking of Fire-types ...

I see Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera's Embody Aspect (Hearthflame), when set as the Ability, automatically adds +1 to its Attack- not adding it to the stat boost drop-down menu, but rather planting it directly into the calculation. I can see how this could be convenient, but isn't there a lot of potential for player confusion if one (example: myself, haha) fails to notice the automatically-added +1 in the calculation and adds +1 manually, as many instinctively would for other Pokémon? In that event, their calculations would become +2 and be thrown off; I know the calculation reflects the +2, but again, if a user hasn't noticed it on account of its being different ... The point is, I personally feel it works somewhat counter-intuitively to how many players use the calculator.

Additionally, in my opinion, the fact that Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera can lose that +1 to battle events such as Intimidate, Haze, etc. isn't sufficiently reflected with this implementation, as a player would need to set its Attack to -1 in the dropdown in order to calculate for a +0 Attack stat. That doesn't seem especially intuitive to me, and creates further room for player error in the name of something only slightly more convenient than manually setting the +1 Attack boost, which many players would do anyways. I also recognize that changing it now could create further confusion in those who understand how the Ability currently works in the calculator, but I feel it's a fair trade-off: temporary confusion now in players who will quickly pick up the change, versus a lot of confusion over a long time in players who don't know going in that it works differently from expected.

I'm no pro, but I figured it was worth voicing my thoughts as a semi-casual player, which I'm quite sure is also true of a great many of the calculator's users. Apologies in advance if I made any oversights or for any disrespect- none is meant, and I have only gratitude for all the hard work put into maintaining the calculator.
Thank you for your time and consideration! :wo:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi, the calc for Urshifu-Rapid seems bugged, as the calc shows that Scizor isnt OHKO'ed by Surging Strikes, but the replay shows otherwise:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9monotype-1951778371

The calc:
252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Scizor in Rain on a critical hit: 215-255 (73.8 - 87.6%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thankie in advance :blobnom:

jetou

is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Howdy! I wanted to inquire and opine about a calculator implementation, so I bit the bullet and signed up for the forums after putting it off for quite some years. It may be a little bold for a first forum post, but hey, Smogonbird taught me to live fast and die hard. Speaking of Fire-types ...

I see Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera's Embody Aspect (Hearthflame), when set as the Ability, automatically adds +1 to its Attack- not adding it to the stat boost drop-down menu, but rather planting it directly into the calculation. I can see how this could be convenient, but isn't there a lot of potential for player confusion if one (example: myself, haha) fails to notice the automatically-added +1 in the calculation and adds +1 manually, as many instinctively would for other Pokémon? In that event, their calculations would become +2 and be thrown off; I know the calculation reflects the +2, but again, if a user hasn't noticed it on account of its being different ... The point is, I personally feel it works somewhat counter-intuitively to how many players use the calculator.

Additionally, in my opinion, the fact that Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera can lose that +1 to battle events such as Intimidate, Haze, etc. isn't sufficiently reflected with this implementation, as a player would need to set its Attack to -1 in the dropdown in order to calculate for a +0 Attack stat. That doesn't seem especially intuitive to me, and creates further room for player error in the name of something only slightly more convenient than manually setting the +1 Attack boost, which many players would do anyways. I also recognize that changing it now could create further confusion in those who understand how the Ability currently works in the calculator, but I feel it's a fair trade-off: temporary confusion now in players who will quickly pick up the change, versus a lot of confusion over a long time in players who don't know going in that it works differently from expected.

I'm no pro, but I figured it was worth voicing my thoughts as a semi-casual player, which I'm quite sure is also true of a great many of the calculator's users. Apologies in advance if I made any oversights or for any disrespect- none is meant, and I have only gratitude for all the hard work put into maintaining the calculator.
Thank you for your time and consideration! :wo:
I think a checkbox (like Intimidate, Plus, Flash Fire, etc) that is automatically checked would suffice. It wouldn't waste players time by making them set the attack stat to +1 every time while giving less familiar players an indication that the ability is currently active and could be unchecked at any time if convenient . I suppose the same checkbox would need to addded to Dauntless Shield/Intrepid Sword, Download, etc.

There's a checkbox for Intimidate by the way, so just check it instead of setting the attack stat to +0.
Hi, the calc for Urshifu-Rapid seems bugged, as the calc shows that Scizor isnt OHKO'ed by Surging Strikes, but the replay shows otherwise:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9monotype-1951778371

The calc:
252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Scizor in Rain on a critical hit: 215-255 (73.8 - 87.6%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thankie in advance :blobnom:
Fixed.

The calc for Urshifu-Rapid Surging Strikes seems to be bugged when factoring in defense drops that the opponent has (calc is showing a lot more damage than what happens in game).

The calc:
252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu on a critical hit: 415-491 (121.7 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay showing otherwise:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1954659299

For reference, this is the calc without the defense drop, which is correct in-game. A -1 def drop would not be enough to double the damage from the attack:
252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu on a critical hit: 207-246 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

Thanks in advance.

jetou

The calc for Urshifu-Rapid Surging Strikes seems to be bugged when factoring in defense drops that the opponent has (calc is showing a lot more damage than what happens in game).

The calc:
252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu on a critical hit: 415-491 (121.7 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay showing otherwise:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1954659299

For reference, this is the calc without the defense drop, which is correct in-game. A -1 def drop would not be enough to double the damage from the attack:
252 Atk Punching Glove Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu on a critical hit: 207-246 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

Thanks in advance.
Fixed.

(Also, for anyone that cares @smogon/calc has a new version published w/ Generation 9.)

Hello, is there a way to to a One vs All calculation against a specific list of Pokémon (i.e. one I manually set)?

Thanks in advance!

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I noticed that when Loaded Dice is selected as the item on a mon using a multihit move that hits 2-5 times, it does not automatically adjust to 4 hits minimum. Would there be any chance that the calc adjusting automatically to remove 2 and 3 hits be possible? If that cannot be done then I think at least automatically shifting to 4 hits as the default?
Screenshot_20231003_170132_Chrome.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)