Resource Pet Mods Workshop Thread

What, X is evolving?!

Pet Mod Concept: Every Pokémon, as long they fit the right criteria, will gain a brand new evolution!
Explanation: Based on the Megas for All mod, the community would be able to send their ideas for a new evolution for a old pokémon. Now is not like you can evolve ANYTHING, there is certain criteria that needs to be followed
In order to the pokémon to be able to evolve:
  • Its BST has to be lower than 500
  • It can't have a alternate form with more than 500 BST (ex: Wishiwashi)
  • It has to be a first or second stage (Ex: Jumpluff can't evolve)
  • It can't mega evolve (Ex: Slowbro)
  • It can't be a sub-legendary, legendary, mythical, or Carbink
  • The same evolution can be given to two different mons as long as it makes sense (ex: Volbeat and Illumise)
  • If the species's regional variant has an evolution (Ex: Linoone), you have the option to make an regional variant of that evo (Ex: Obstagoon-Hoenn)
  • If the species can evolve already, it can't have more than 2 evolutions.
Evolution Limitations:
  • Its BST can't be lower than its pre-evo, and it can't exceed 555
    • Exception 1: If the mon is a second stage and is in the slow exp group, its BST can also be 600, in this case now its a Pseudo-Legendary (Ex: Lanturn)
    • Exception 2: If the evolution has Wonder Guard, its BST can't be higher than its pre-evo, and it can't exceed 400 unless it has 1HP like Shedinja.
  • It can have a maximum of one Signature Move and Ability
  • The evolution can have alternate forms:
    • Alternate forms also follow the 555 BST limit
    • The maximum amount of non-asthetic forms it can have is 3
    • It can't be a Mega Evolution or a G-max form
    • Paradox Forms must have a different dex number, a BST of 570 and it can only have the Protosynthesis or Quark Drive Abilites
  • The evolution can't be Sub-Legendary, Legendary, Mythical or an Ultra Beast
Miscellaneous:
  • A Pokémon can also recieve a pre-evolution (Aka a Baby form), whose BST can't be higer than its Evo.
  • The maximum amount of total evos a pokémon can have is 3, though the reccomended is 2 (exception: Eevee, of course)

Please let me know if there's anything I missed :)
That feels like a dope concept, but I have a few questions:
1. Where does the 555 BST limit come from?
2. Why can Pokémon with Wonder Guard not have more than 400 BST?
3. Why is the amount of total evos a Pokémon can have only 3?
4. Do you plan making themed slates?
I hope this project will get to its end.

That feels like a dope concept, but I have a few questions:
1. Where does the 555 BST limit come from?
2. Why can Pokémon with Wonder Guard not have more than 400 BST?
3. Why is the amount of total evos a Pokémon can have only 3?
4. Do you plan making themed slates?
I hope this project will get to its end.
1. I chose Arcanine as the standart, bc Archeops and Slaking have crippling abilities
2. Because otherwise they would be broken... Obviously. Tho I'm not sure if this is the right idea I can't think of an alternative
3. Bc of the Tyrogue line. Generally tho I reccomend only 2 evos per Pokémon.
4. Megas for all has those, so thats a likely possibility.

Also thanks for the feedback!

What, X is evolving?!

Pet Mod Concept: Every Pokémon, as long they fit the right criteria, will gain a brand new evolution!
Explanation: Based on the Megas for All mod, the community would be able to send their ideas for a new evolution for a old pokémon. Now is not like you can evolve ANYTHING, there is certain criteria that needs to be followed
In order to the pokémon to be able to evolve:
  • Its BST has to be lower than 500
  • It can't have a alternate form with more than 500 BST (ex: Wishiwashi)
  • It has to be a first or second stage (Ex: Jumpluff can't evolve)
  • It can't mega evolve (Ex: Slowbro)
  • It can't be a sub-legendary, legendary, mythical, or Carbink
  • The same evolution can be given to two different mons as long as it makes sense (ex: Volbeat and Illumise)
  • If the species's regional variant has an evolution (Ex: Linoone), you have the option to make an regional variant of that evo (Ex: Obstagoon-Hoenn)
  • If the species can evolve already, it can't have more than 2 evolutions.
Evolution Limitations:
  • Its BST can't be lower than its pre-evo, and it can't exceed 555
    • Exception 1: If the mon is a second stage and is in the slow exp group, its BST can also be 600, in this case now its a Pseudo-Legendary (Ex: Lanturn)
    • Exception 2: If the evolution has Wonder Guard, its BST can't be higher than its pre-evo, and it can't exceed 400 unless it has 1HP like Shedinja.
  • It can have a maximum of one Signature Move and Ability
  • The evolution can have alternate forms:
    • Alternate forms also follow the 555 BST limit
    • The maximum amount of non-asthetic forms it can have is 3
    • It can't be a Mega Evolution or a G-max form
    • Paradox Forms must have a different dex number, a BST of 570 and it can only have the Protosynthesis or Quark Drive Abilites
  • The evolution can't be Sub-Legendary, Legendary, Mythical or an Ultra Beast
Miscellaneous:
  • A Pokémon can also recieve a pre-evolution (Aka a Baby form), whose BST can't be higer than its Evo.
  • The maximum amount of total evos a pokémon can have is 3, though the reccomended is 2 (exception: Eevee, of course)

Please let me know if there's anything I missed :)
Honestly I agree with Turtlek on the questions here, but apart from that this is a cool concept. I'd probably name it Evolution Revolution or something like that though.

Role Reversal
( Mascot - :torkoal:)
Role Reversal is a micrometa where Pokemon are changed to have different competitive roles to their official counterparts. Torkoal being a snow sweeper instead of a sun setter? Tokegiss abusing Sheer Force instead of Serene Grace? Slow Regieleki with good coverage? Kricketune being actually good for once? Since we're not looking for exact opposite builds, the possibilities are quite expansive.
  • Changing mons' team roles is the main rule for subs, so you can keep the type, stats, etc. as long as changes to other areas make the sub different enough to the original mon.
  • Most slates will have an additional one or two restrictions (e.g. only mons from a specific Smogon tier or generation).
  • Custom elements will likely be banned.
  • Voting system will be very similar to FE, lasting 2 days with the top 5-7 voted subs being implemented.
Pretty straightforward, but let me know if you have any questions~

The rise of Unown

In gen5, Ditto got a flavorful signature ability that elevated him from something completely useless to something pretty unique. In this mod, Unown gets a buff like that. The ability he gets is as follows:
Symbolic Aid
When Unown is on the team, all other team members get a buff. What the buff is depends on the form.

Our mission therefore is to create 28 versions of Symbolic Aid that are interesting, but not overbearing. I got a few ideas myself. Obviously, I'm not a competitive player myself, just a lurker, so these ideas probably aren't very good:
A - Amplify Whenever someone gets a stat boost of +2 or higher, they get an extra boost.
H - Hazards Battle starts with Stealth Rock on the opposing side of the field.
I - Insomnia No team member can fall asleep.
R - Resist All types resist themselves (even Ghost and Dragon).
W - Weather Weather lasts 3 turns extra. This does stack with Weather rocks.

There is obviously very little chance Gamefreak will implement this, as this is too hard to do for them and this doesn't work nearly as well for 3v3 or 4v4. But are we willing to take up that challenge?
(and we could go for an easier route by making each form correspond to a held item or ability)

Btw, I will share my idea for a Pet Mod that I had for a while:

:togepi: Randomized Meta :togepi:

So basically, it would be a weird mix of different concepts. The goal would have to create a metagame around a random set of Pokemon, and we would have a lot of different kind of subs.

Slate 1 would be the selection of a random pool of Pokemon like back then in Random Dex, I'm not sure how many, but we would have a bit of playtesting around this pool, and bans, etc.

But afterward, we would have slates to add new elements to the metagame: we could add adjustments to existing Pokemons (including giving them new abilities, new moves, a different typing, or changing their stats), new moves, new abilities, new items, or even adding vanilla Pokemon that are absent, or adding new Fakemons to the bunch (think about a mix of Sylvemons/Joltemons/Vaporemons, DLCmons, and just Fakemons creation). I think either slates would be mixed like in Joltemons/Vaporemons with a limited number of slots for each category, or like in Hoenn Gaiden where every slate would be around an objective.

It would be NatDex based, with Tera banned, but I'm unsure about dexited moves, megas and Z-moves.

So, some little questions:

- Do you think it would be a good idea?
- Which slate system would work the better? Or maybe another one should be exploited...
- What about dexited moves, megas and Z-moves? I'm leaning toward no Dexited moves, no megas, no Z-moves and having NatDex only to have every single Pokemon.

gastlies

running up that hill
is a Pre-Contributor
Pet Mod Name: idk i need ideas
Pet Mod Concept: The idea of this mod is to make as many fully-evolved Pokemon as possible viable in RBY OU, while still keeping the spirit of the original tier alive.
Explanation: As time has gone on, less and less Pokemon are considered "good" in RBY OU. A few years ago it was fifteen, now we're at thirteen, and it may soon be twelve as opinions on Jolteon worsen. My idea for this mod is to diversify this tier and make more Pokemon viable. My goal for a power level is one such that the unbuffed big three, starmie, and alakazam are all still excellent Pokemon, but the big three don't need to be seen as mandatory. I think it would be cool to see viable fire-types for example, or a swords dancer who's not relegated to the D-ranks.
Miscellaneous: My idea for slates is to give 3-5 pokemon that should be buffed. For example the first slate could be charizard, blastoise, and venusaur. They can change their stats, typing, or movepool, but it should stay true to the original pokemon (for example no giving charizard hydro pump). After that, the normal pet mods voting system will happen and the most popular buff for each mon will be implemented

The Trendy Phrase Game :blaziken::caterpie::caterpie::caterpie:

Pet Mod Concept: Users submit three Pokemon with adjustments at the start and stick with them as they have to follow increasingly absurd rules and apply them to their submissions. Restrictions/Fakemon Frontier for people who hate themselves.

Explanation: Based loosely on The Password Game, The Trendy Phrase Game starts as a micrometa aiming for a Gen 9 OU power level with currently no Pokemon in it, and lets users submit three adjustments to already existing Pokemon. Users must submit three adjustments - no more, no less - must follow a small collection of rules, and if they wish to submit for this PM, must participate in the first slate and continue to participate for every slate after.

After the first slate, every submission that meets all the rules set out automatically get in. But there's a further catch; every slate going forward will introduce a new set of intricate, contradicting and generally insane rules their subs must continue to follow, while also following every rule set in the previous slates. Failure to follow any of them at the end of a slate will result in all three of a user's subs getting disqualified, but users will be warned ahead of time near the end of the current slate if any of their subs are breaking any rules (or are overpowered, but council will be less strict on this front). This PM is currently estimated to run for 12 slates, with roomtours at to-be-determined intervals.

The Trendy Phrase Game :blaziken::caterpie::caterpie::caterpie:
Pet Mod Concept: Users submit three Pokemon with adjustments at the start and stick with them as they have to follow increasingly absurd rules and apply them to their submissions. Restrictions/Fakemon Frontier for people who hate themselves.
this sounds like it could be a fun concept, but your current description is a bit vague. could you give some examples of what these ‘rules’ might look like?

Although I have yet to make the 15 Post requirement to submit the Pet mod idea, I would like to share it and work out any issues in it.

Pet Mod Name: Masters Moves
Pet Mod Concept: What if the Trainer moves from Pokémon Masters EX (such as "Shining Moonlight!") were usable in-game.
Explanation: National Dex AG. Pokémon can use the Trainer Moves that they can use in Masters EX. Fusion mons (Like Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma, Black and White Kyurem, and Shadow Rider and Ice Rider Calyrex) can use both their Trainer move, and the Trainer Move of the Pokémon they fused with. Assist, Sketch, and Baton Pass are banned due to how high some of the Trainer move Boosts can be. Shedinja is not allowed to Terastalize. The trainer move Learnset for mons will be updated with every Datamine of Pokémon Masters EX.

It is a rough draft at the moment and I would appreciate Feedback.

Edit:
:Lunala:
In Masters EX, Lunala has a trainer move that maxes out its special attack and critical hit ratio. This is AMAZING because Luanla won't need to run any special attack EVs to be able to sweep.

Sample Set:
Lunala @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Shield
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Moongeist Beam
- Roost
- "Shining Moonlight!"

:Zygarde:
Same case as Lunala, but the trainer move affects both attack and special attack. Can run glare to shut down opponents.

Sample set:
Zygarde @ Focus Sash
Ability: Power Construct
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Extreme Speed
-"Feel Our Feelings!"

:Marshadow:
On top of Spectral Thief allowing Marshadow to steal other trainer move boosts, it gets its own trainer move as well! On top of that, this trainer move boosts speed by 3 stages (although attack is raised by 4 stages instead of 6) This will be one of the few formats where Focus sash Marshadow has some worth.

Sample Set:
Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- "Greater Heights!"

:Ditto:
Just Imposter Scarf or sash Ditto. Need I say more?

:Skeledirge:
Despite not having a Trainer move (not yet at least). It will still be great due to Unaware and how stat boost dependent the meta will be. It will be able to put pressure on the opponent due to either forcing them to switch or stay in.

Sample Set:
Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast

Last edited:
this sounds like it could be a fun concept, but your current description is a bit vague. could you give some examples of what these ‘rules’ might look like?
oops meant to reply to this sooner but forgor

Anyways, here's some examples. One slate, you could get a rule that says "One of your Pokemon must have three moves it would reasonably want to run that all start with the same letter". Let's say you chose D, and gave said Pokemon Diamond Storm, Destiny Bond, Dragon Dance, and Dragon Darts. Next slate, you get a rule that says "Create a custom signature move for one of your mons", and you do so for one of your other mons. Slate after that, a new rule bans dancing moves on one of your mons, and say you don't want to apply that rule to your other two, so you have to apply it to the D mon. You'd have to remove Dragon Dance and replace it with a new D move, like Drain Punch, or you could go back, remove the custom signature move from your other mon from last slate, and create a new one that starts with D to fulfill both requirements on your D mon. As long as every box is ticked at the end of the current slate, it's fair game.

This is a big hypothetical, but should paint a better picture of what rules might look like. Also worth clarifying, all the rules would be determined ahead of time, so the council wouldn't be deliberately metagaming you into a tight spot, submitters would just have to be flexible with their adjustments going in.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
waiter, more crack please

PokeDoku!

Premise: Submitters create Fakemon based on restrictions set by a Sudoku board.

How do you make Fakemon with a Sudoku board?
1692416015208.png

Ignoring the words for a moment, the outlined boxes work just like a normal Sudoku board: unique numbers in rows, columns, and within colors. For our purposes, we will deal with the numbers 1-4. However, each number corresponds to a Pokemon:
1692416117584.png

This is what a set of Pokemon would provide: the Pokemon, one ability, one move, and its mixed offenses and defenses, as calculated here.

Now as for the words:

Typing
The typing spaces simply deal with the Pokemon's STABs.
A Fakemon is offensively strong against something if AT LEAST ONE of its STABs hit the given Pokemon super-effectively.
A Fakemon is offensively weak against something if BOTH of the Fakemon's STABs are resisted/ineffective versus the given Pokemon.
A Fakemon is defensively strong against something if BOTH of the given Pokemon's STABs are resisted/ineffective against the Fakemon.
A Fakemon is defensively weak against something if AT LEAST ONE of the given Pokemon's STABs hit the Fakemon super-effectively.

Stats
Self explanatory: The Fakemon's mixed offenses/defenses have to be greater than/less than the given Pokemon. There is a calculator on the spreadsheet provided.

Abilities and Moves
Having or not having an ability/move is self explanatory, but preferring or not preferring a move can have a number of reasons. For example:
  • A Fakemon would like Mooblast because it is a Ghost-type and is good coverage
  • A Fakemon would not like Mooblast because it is a physical attacker
  • A Fakemon would like Sheer Force because it is an offensive Pokemon
  • A Fakemon would not like Sheer Force if it is a defensive Pokemon that utilizes Scald
I'm just gonna run through an example:
1692417996513.png

My first thought is that my limits for my stats should probably be Meowscarada and Garganacl, as they are the biggest numbers here.
1692418144769.png

I'm also going to resist Spidops' STAB, as it very easy to resist mono Bug.
1692418205079.png

I'm going to finish off the 4th row. That means I cannot put Springtide Storm and Silk Trap on my Fakemon. I think it's a lot easier to want Springtide Storm on something than Silk Trap.
1692418302307.png

Also going to finish off the Stats box. I have Spidops in the second column so I have to put Enamorus there. Gonna have to keep all that information in mind when I go to do stats.
1692418383697.png

So, according to Sudoku rules, I have to be weak to one of Meowscarada's STABs.
1692418451231.png

Let's say I decide to prefer Salt Cure. I could say I do not prefer Flower Trick because I am a Special attacker, only using Salt Cure as a defensive chip option. I could also swap Silk Trap and Springtide Storm if I wanted to (Salt Cure + Silk Trap synergy), but I'll decide on that later.
1692418704395.png

Meaning, by Sudoku rules, I now:
  • Have to prefer Protean and have it
  • Have to prefer Stakeout but not have it
  • Have to not prefer Purifying Salt and Overcoat
I'll find a way to justify this later @.@
1692419030257.png

I think having Overcoat would help to not overshadow Protean. So, with that decision, I've finished my Sudoku board. Now I have to design the Fakemon...
1692419155778.png

Ultimately, I decided upon this:

Name: Goddease
Type: Ground / Fighting
Ability: Overcoat / Protean
Stats: 75 / 65 / 90 / 87 / 118 / 120 (MO: 91 MD: 78)
Movepool:
Physical: Earthquake, Close Combat, Flower Trick, Salt Cure, Stone Edge, U-turn​
Special: Aura Sphere, Earth Power, Hurricane, Ice Beam, Power Gem, Shadow Ball​
+universal moves​
Ground/Fighting SE RockBug NVE Fightinglow spatk but wide coverage. checks out to meovercoat is like a nothing abil fr
Ground/Fighting NVE Fairy/FlyingGrass SE Groundstakeout is just good bro.psalt is broken. gdi just let me have this one ToT
91 > 5378 > 77Goes hard on defensive sets, especially cuz no coverage for WatersPhysical
91 < 11778 < 110Big Fairy coverage would be good for the Protean monProtect is fine. ig its technically better? ig if ur running protean it turns u bug which is lol

ill be nice to you guys too, especially on the right hand side
Flavor: some kinda like idol statue or smth? idk

Process:
WIP. this is a lot of words

click this link for the sheet. make a copy

Last edited:
(copy pasting this from the OM Workshop as I was told it would fit here better, and cutting out irrelevant parts. sorry if the format ends up being weird, its is almost 2am and I just want to go to bed.)

Good morning fellas, fellas and fellas, it's your least favorite Smogon user back at it again to talk about this pet mod/format idea I had, which sparked from this mysterious letter somehow found in the Natdex Forums.

Presenting... SuperHome Playground (clearly-not-working Title)

The premise for this mod/format is to treat the franchise as if Pokémon Home had been around from the start of the franchise in 1996, and every player-obtainable Pokémon, from either the main series games or games that have the mainline game battle system and can directly trade and interact with the main series games (such as Colosseum/XD Gale of Darkness, Stadium[2]), were able to be deposited in Pokémon Home and used in future, respective titles.

This would essentially be an entirely unrated mod/format, made simply to battle and experiment with other players while using any previously obtainable Pokémon you want. Aside from the currently obtainable NDexGen9AG Pokémon, this includes the following:
This does NOT include the following Pokémon:

• Pokéstar Opponents
  • Missingno, 'M, TMTRAINER, Bad Egg, and all other glitch pokémon
  • Eternatus-Eternamax
  • "Ghost" from the Pokémon Tower
  • The untouchable dog from the start of SwSh
  • Floette-Eternal
  • Some Unused Shadow Pokémon
  • CAP (as in the format. Pikachu-partner and its bros are still allowed)
  • Eggs (an egg can't battle!)
  • You in the safari zone (throwing mud, rocks and bait)
  • Not having a Pokémon on the field
  • Other Pokémon in similar condition to these
Before we move on to the elephant in the aquarium, let's go over a couple things.

• Kind of torn between strictly keeping the newly available pokémon's movepools strictly the same as it was in the last game they were available, or allowing them to receive the moveset changes from their core species only (egg moves can be passed without breeding as of gen 9). Maybe multiple different metas could be made from this mod, with different rules?
  • Pokémon caught in a newer generation can go back to a previous generation to learn from a move tutor or TM as long as it is able to learn the move (this rule might be redundant, or might lead to some movepools/legality expanding)
  • Event Pokémon must still match their conditions
  • As this is based on (NDex) Anything Goes (for now), there are no bans or restrictions that aren't in the games already (only 1 mega, etc.)

On to the big fish in the room... Shadow Pokémon.

1) Are they broken? Are they viable?
2) How do we classify their moves?
3)Which game's mechanics do we use?

These are all good questions, but let's take it one step at a time.

1)Here's the (showdown-relevant) list of differences for Shadow Pokémon from regular Pokémon, copied from Bulbapedia:

A Shadow Pokémon is unable of doing the following:
  • Level it up through battles or Rare Candy (When it is purified, it gains all the exp. accumulated as a Shadow Pokémon. In Colosseum the Shadow Pokémon only starts accumulating exp once it has opened at least 2 bars on the heart gauge. In XD the Shadow Pokémon accumulates exp right away but only gets 80% of the usual exp total.)
  • Evolve it using an evolution stone (This doesn’t apply to Colosseum; however, none of the Shadow Pokémon in that game evolve through stone.)
  • Change the order of or delete its moves
  • Use a TM on it
  • Give it a nickname (due to displaying an OT and ID of "?????")
  • Trade it.
(Unlisted is the fact that they cannot have any friendship points, and transform will fail if used on one. Shadow Pokémon from XD also cannot be shiny.)

The three biggest factors right now that limit their usefulness are their level cap, their limited movepool, and their inability* to evolve. In a metagame where they have to be faithful, this would render them practically non-viable. However, in a metagame that would allow more leniency, such as a Hackmons or otherwise, they occupy a bigger role.
*Technically speaking, a lv.43 Shadow Wyrdeer may be possible, since evolving Stantler requires using Agile Style Psyshield Bash 20 times, a move which a Shadow Stantler may know at that level in Legends Arceus, depending on how we allow cross-generational moveset updates and in-game mechanics. Mega Stones would also be 100% usable on Shadow Pokémon, making Mega Evolution possible.

2) Now as for Shadow moves, the XD system would be in place for most of the moves, with the exception of Colosseum's Shadow Rush, which would be given to Shadow Colosseum mons to make their movesets closer to their initial design and balance. XD's Shadow Rush would still be on its applicable mons, with the move being renamed to "Shadow Rush XD" to avoid confusion between the two.
This means that Shadow Rush (Colosseum) will deal neutral damage to every pokémon, while the rest of the shadow moves deal super effective damage to all non-shadow pokémon and not very effective on shadow pokémon. They cannot receive STAB, have unlimited PP and cannot be Sketched. This might give Shadow Pokémon a niche in gimmick roles.
What about the physical/special split? How do you decide which moves are physical and which are special? That's the neat part, we actually don't have to decide! Shadow moves from Pokémon XD were the first moves to be physically and specially split within a type, well before the generation that made it universal! That means special attackers from XD get to have their nice special shadow moves, and special attackers from Colosseum can go home to their physical Shadow Rush and cry about it. Boo freaking Hoo.

3) Which game's mechanics do we use?
With the 2023 Bullet Point #2 Shadow Rush Distinction™ established, I think it's fair to say that Colosseum and XD Shadow mechanics should be applied on a per-mon basis, for the sake of balance and consistency. Hyper Mode can greatly enhance Shadow Rush's viability by making its crit rate ridiculously high, at the cost of potentially disobeying you if you choose another move. Reverse Mode, the XD Counterpart, has almost no positive benefits compared to Hyper Mode, apart from not taking up a turn to activate, as it has no critical-hit ratio-raising effect, not even on Shadow Rush XD. Fortunately, XD also has a mechanic that gives a 50% Speed boost to all Shadow Pokémon in battle, Reverse Mode or not, so at least XD Shadow mons have that going for them.
Should we implement the Call function? Without it, Hyper Mode is difficult to end (requiring RNG), and Reverse Mode is inescapable. But with it, Colosseum mons skip a turn for free, and XD mons get a free +1 accuracy at no pp cost. It also wakes up sleeping Pokémon at the cost of a turn. I think the "Call" option should only appear when a pokémon is in Hyper/Reverse mode, to prevent abusing it for stall.

From this base, I could see different variations of this mod changing and making its own formats with its own playerbases: one where everything stays unchanged from the base games, one where movepools are expanded on the new mons, one where level limits are removed, one where we bring back all previously usable items (:berserk-gene: :ginema-berry: :flying-gem:), and even then we can have one with STABmons on top of it, or Draft, or do some for past gens, or have usage tiers...

Quick things I should clarify since this isn't on the OM forums anymore:
1. This is a gen 9 mod. It could easily be updated to gen 10 by removing tera, adding the gen 10 mechanic, and the mons, abilities, moves and items.
  • This means no Dynamax, for the same reason as NatDex, as this mod is based on it.
  • Gen 8 would be kind of weird, since you could technically have two different mods, one based on the SwShBDSP battle system and mons, and one based on the Legends battle system and mons, which I don't even want to think about right now (ask me some other time tho)
  • Gen 7 and under should be simple enough.
2. I do not count Pokémon Go as an addition to the mod, as although it can transfer to home, its combat style is very different from the main series game and would clash greatly with the rest of the series.
You cannot tap the screen repeatedly to do constant damage in the main series games, as much as 10yr old me would have loved it to be so.

3. If possible, I'd like to have Shadow Pokémon have their Colosseum/XD models and animations, to help differentiate them from their regular counterparts (also they look more dynamic and lively imo). Shadow aura is optional.

Anyway, Free Shadow Pokémon, Free Pikachu-PhD, my brain is shutting down rn so I may have to answer lots of questions. Feel free to ask!

Last edited:
So, I believe I've contributed enough to the Gen 8 Pet Mods board (well, the Regional Evolutions pet mod specifically lol but who's counting?) that I should be able to submit a proposal for a mod of my own. I'm not sure whether this is gonna fly or not but heck with it, let's see what you guys think of it anyway. Here goes...

Pet Mod Name: HoloMon

Pet Mod Concept:
A new Pokemon/fakemon region themed around, and based on, the VTuber talents of COVER Corp's Hololive, with its own meta, potential unique gimmick, and possible rebalancing of canon Pokemon or variants thereof found there.

Explanation:
In a similar manner to Crossover Chaos, this mod is meant to adapt characters from non-Pokemon media into a mod for the Pokemon metagame (specifically Gen 9 for the time being), except that a) this mod is intended to adapt one specific IP and related aspects thereof, and b) it will be about creating new Pokemon based on the Hololive talents rather than adapting the talents themselves. This mod is of course meant for the Hololive and VTuber enjoyers here in this forum, but it would also be interesting to see if people who do not know Hololive would be willing to do their research into the characters to be adapted. The intent is to not only produce a working metagame for this fakemon region, but also to challenge potential entrants to work with source material that may not be in their portfolio of media experience.

The rules for this mod I came up with are as follows:
  1. Each submission to this mod's slates, regardless of how many stages or forms it has, needs to be based exclusively on a single talent. This means you can have a two-stage line with both stages based on Inugami Korone, for example, but not one with one stage based on Korone and the other based on, say, Ookami Mio. Different stages can however be based on alternate outfits, personas, or other lore- or character-relevant aspects of the liver represented.
  2. Each and every liver is expected to be represented by exactly one fakemon line, regional variant line, or region-exclusive evolution. If any given liver is represented among the list of winning submissions in a voting slate, they will be eliminated from the pool of livers to pick from for all future slates.
  3. Regional variants and evolutions are allowed in this mod, as are straight evolutions to existing Pokemon, as long as the above two rules are respected. If your submission is of the latter type, you are welcome to make changes to rebalance the existing Pokemon it evolved from as well, so as to make it more viable - the most important criterion here is that the evolution should be based on one of the Hololive talents (even if the Pokemon it evolved from obviously isn't).
  4. I will only be accepting Hololive talents for this mod, meaning subs based on other VTubers and agencies such as Nijisanji or VShojou will not be accepted. I will however be accepting entries based on the Holostars talents as well as any graduated (i.e. retired) talents formerly from Hololive, as they technically still fall under the purview of COVER Corp.
  5. Be respectful of anyone else submitting. Make sure your criticism is constructive and tactful, and avoid discouraging anyone or causing drama, either about the Pokemon metagame or the VTuber scene. If you have an issue with something in any given submission that could be inflammatory if stated publicly, please use DMs to notify either the submitter or the admins overseeing the mod.
So, here would be the prototype format for submissions:

Name: [The name of the fakemon itself]
Name Origin: [The source words for the fakemon's name]
Based On: [The name of the talent represented, preferably with a link to a wiki entry or picture of the talent in question]
Type: [Type combination]
Abilities: [At least one normal ability and, if applicable, exactly one Hidden Ability]
Level-Up Moves: [All moves the entry can learn via level-up]
Other Notable Moves: [Exactly what it says. This and the previous item can be replaced by movepool changes in the case of regional variants and evos]
Evolves From: [duh. This and the next one can be left out for single-stagers]
Evolves Into: [also duh]
Design and Inspirations: [also also duh]
Competitive Info: [also also also duh]

Miscellaneous:
  • Prior knowledge of Hololive is not required for participating in this mod, but preferable. Generally, however, anyone can submit to this mod's slates as long as they are willing to conduct at least some level of research regarding the liver to be represented in each submission.
  • As this is going to be a whole new region, the slates will be going over the archetypes for past regions first (starters, box legends, early route mons, fossils, etc.). Once those are done, the slates will then go over all other livers who were not already represented by previous winning subs, going by each wave/generation of livers.
  • This mod is expected to eventually represent all livers associated with Hololive. Should a new generation be introduced during or after the completion of this mod's dex, another slate will be set up to include submissions based on each of its members following their debuts.
And that's that for now! Feel free to let me know if you have questions, feedback, or suggestions!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So, I believe I've contributed enough to the Gen 8 Pet Mods board (well, the Regional Evolutions pet mod specifically lol but who's counting?) that I should be able to submit a proposal for a mod of my own. I'm not sure whether this is gonna fly or not but heck with it, let's see what you guys think of it anyway. Here goes...

Pet Mod Name: HoloMon

Pet Mod Concept:
A new Pokemon/fakemon region themed around, and based on, the VTuber talents of COVER Corp's Hololive, with its own meta, potential unique gimmick, and possible rebalancing of canon Pokemon or variants thereof found there.

Explanation:
In a similar manner to Crossover Chaos, this mod is meant to adapt characters from non-Pokemon media into a mod for the Pokemon metagame (specifically Gen 9 for the time being), except that a) this mod is intended to adapt one specific IP and related aspects thereof, and b) it will be about creating new Pokemon based on the Hololive talents rather than adapting the talents themselves. This mod is of course meant for the Hololive and VTuber enjoyers here in this forum, but it would also be interesting to see if people who do not know Hololive would be willing to do their research into the characters to be adapted. The intent is to not only produce a working metagame for this fakemon region, but also to challenge potential entrants to work with source material that may not be in their portfolio of media experience.

1. Each submission to this mod's slates, regardless of how many stages or forms it has, needs to be based exclusively on a single talent. This means you can have a two-stage line with both stages based on Inugami Korone, for example, but not one with one stage based on Korone and the other based on, say, Ookami Mio. Different stages can however be based on alternate outfits, personas, or other lore- or character-relevant aspects of the liver represented.
  2. Each and every liver is expected to be represented by exactly one fakemon line, regional variant line, or region-exclusive evolution. If any given liver is represented among the list of winning submissions in a voting slate, they will be eliminated from the pool of livers to pick from for all future slates.
  3. Regional variants and evolutions are allowed in this mod, as are straight evolutions to existing Pokemon, as long as the above two rules are respected. If your submission is of the latter type, you are welcome to make changes to rebalance the existing Pokemon it evolved from as well, so as to make it more viable - the most important criterion here is that the evolution should be based on one of the Hololive talents (even if the Pokemon it evolved from obviously isn't).
  4. I will only be accepting Hololive talents for this mod, meaning subs based on other VTubers and agencies such as Nijisanji or VShojou will not be accepted. I will however be accepting entries based on the Holostars talents as well as any graduated (i.e. retired) talents formerly from Hololive, as they technically still fall under the purview of COVER Corp.
  5. Be respectful of anyone else submitting. Make sure your criticism is constructive and tactful, and avoid discouraging anyone or causing drama, either about the Pokemon metagame or the VTuber scene. If you have an issue with something in any given submission that could be inflammatory if stated publicly, please use DMs to notify either the submitter or the admins overseeing the mod.

Name: [The name of the fakemon itself]
Based On: [The name of the talent represented, preferably with a link to a wiki entry or picture of the talent in question]
Abilities: [At least one normal ability and, if applicable, exactly one Hidden Ability]
Other Notable Moves: [Exactly what it says. This and the previous item can be replaced by movepool changes in the case of regional variants and evos]
Design and Inspirations: [also also duh]

Miscellaneous:
  • Prior knowledge of Hololive is not required for participating in this mod, but preferable. Generally, however, anyone can submit to this mod's slates as long as they are willing to conduct at least some level of research regarding the liver to be represented in each submission.
  • As this is going to be a whole new region, the slates will be going over the archetypes for past regions first (starters, box legends, early route mons, fossils, etc.). Once those are done, the slates will then go over all other livers who were not already represented by previous winning subs, going by each wave/generation of livers.
  • This mod is expected to eventually represent all livers associated with Hololive. Should a new generation be introduced during or after the completion of this mod's dex, another slate will be set up to include submissions based on each of its members following their debuts.
And that's that for now! Feel free to let me know if you have questions, feedback, or suggestions!
The big issue with an idea like this is that your userbase is going to be extremely limited by default, and it isn't going to end up big enough to sustain a community-focused project like this. A few years ago there was a Pet Mod that was basically exactly like this with Ben 10 that ended up having the exact same issue despite Ben 10 being a very popular show that a fair amount of people in our community grew up with and enjoyed. Not only do you have to be a fan of Ben 10, which is by default going to apply to a very limited amount of people here, but you have to be a big enough fan of it to want to regularly submit to a Pet Mod where that's all you can sub about. The mod ended up dying off fairly quickly because most people just didn't care enough about Ben 10 to sub for it, and I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty confident the same would happen here.

If you want you could definitely turn this into a Solomod though, I think it'd be the best approach for any idea where this is the biggest issue.

The big issue with an idea like this is that your userbase is going to be extremely limited by default, and it isn't going to end up big enough to sustain a community-focused project like this. A few years ago there was a Pet Mod that was basically exactly like this with Ben 10 that ended up having the exact same issue despite Ben 10 being a very popular show that a fair amount of people in our community grew up with and enjoyed. Not only do you have to be a fan of Ben 10, which is by default going to apply to a very limited amount of people here, but you have to be a big enough fan of it to want to regularly submit to a Pet Mod where that's all you can sub about. The mod ended up dying off fairly quickly because most people just didn't care enough about Ben 10 to sub for it, and I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty confident the same would happen here.

If you want you could definitely turn this into a Solomod though, I think it'd be the best approach for any idea where this is the biggest issue.
This was why I decided to post my suggestion on the Workshop thread rather than the main submissions one. I was concerned a little that there might not be enough interest to go around overall, even if one intent I had for the suggested mod was for those who didn't know about Hololive to try looking into something outside of what they knew. That and I was hoping to drag at least a few forum members down the rabbit hole with the mod development process lol. Regardless, I'm glad you told me about the Ben 10 mod attempt, since now that I have a frame of reference I'll probably have to try a little harder to scrape up volunteers for my project. In the meantime, of course, I'll see if I can come up with an alternate mod proposal that can reach a broader audience and offer that instead...

Alright, here's the new mod proposal I'll be attempting to submit. Since the previous one would've been far too niche of a concept with virtually no audience to be seen, I thought I'd try my luck with something more broadly applicable.

Pet Mod Name: Pokémon Fantasy and Folklore

Pet Mod Concept:
The pitch in my head for this mod was: "What if there was a Pokémon game that had the zeitgeist of a high-fantasy JRPG, in the vein of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, as well as myths and legends from around the world?" Rebalancing of existing mons included in this mod can also be done if applicable, and the possibility of a new "generational gimmick" might also be considered.

Explanation:
This mod is basically what I just mentioned, a hypothetical Pokémon game that is less like the traditional modern "urban fantasy" feel and more akin to "high-fantasy" fare, with a traveling adventurer going on a quest to save the world from some grand-scale threat while collecting party members (read: their Pokémon team) along the way. That said, I also feel like there aren't enough Pokémon that take inspiration from actual real-world mythology in terms of base concept as opposed to smaller contributions to their designs, and as someone who vouches for greater diversity in terms of folkloric representation in fantasy fiction, I figured it'd be nice to see if this community could make an entire region based on real-world myths, legends, and folktales, from the earliest epics of antiquity to modern urban legends.

1. Each submission to this mod's slates, regardless of how many stages or forms it has, must be based on a real-world myth, even if it involves a real animal as the basis. For 'mons with multiple stages, it is acceptable to have the first stage be based on a real-world animal, but the final stages are required to be based on a mythical or legendary creature (in the "folklore from the real world" sense, not the "god-tier endgame 'mons" sense) - preferably something connected to the animal the first stage is based on.
  2. What I'm looking for here is diversity in terms of folkloric representation - I would prefer an even balance of mythologies portrayed, as well as respect given to all cultures that may be represented in the mod. Please be aware of religious and cultural sensitivities when researching the folklore to use as inspiration.
  3. Regional variants and evolutions are allowed in this mod, as are straight evolutions to existing Pokemon, as long as the above two rules are respected. If your submission is of the latter type, you are welcome to make changes to rebalance the existing Pokemon it evolved from as well, so as to make it more viable - the most important criterion here is that the evolution should be based on a real-world myth or legend (even if the Pokemon it evolved from obviously isn't).
  4. Be respectful of anyone else submitting. Make sure your criticism is constructive and tactful, and avoid discouraging anyone or causing drama, either about the Pokemon metagame or real-world folklore. If you have an issue with something in any given submission that could be inflammatory if stated publicly, please use DMs to notify either the submitter or the admins overseeing the mod.

"[Pokedex entry #1]"
"[Pokedex entry #2]"

Based On: [The myth, legend, folktale, etc. the fakemon is based on, or for base stages inspired by a real animal, the animal in question]
Design and Flavor: [also also duh]

(NOTE: For multi-stage lines, putting all of them under a single spoiler with all stages' names in the title would be preferable for easier organization.)

Miscellaneous:
  • The "gameplay" I imagine for this hypothetical game would be in the Legends: Arceus style, although for the purposes of this mod I will be going by the general gameplay format used in all other pet mods and the Pokemon Showdown engine.
  • Although this is a mod primarily geared towards mythology buffs, anyone can submit to this mod's slates as long as they are willing to conduct at least some level of research regarding the liver to be represented in each submission.
  • As this is going to be a whole new region, the slates will be going over the archetypes for past regions first (starters, box legends, early route mons, fossils, etc.). Once those are done, the slates will then skim for myths and legends not already represented by previous winning subs, going by each continent or region until a suitably-sized fakedex is completed.
  • Because this is also going to inspired by fantasy JRPGs, character archetypes from that genre are also welcomed as inspiration, though not a strict requirement.
  • I will provide resources in the opening post for anyone interested in looking up mythical creatures and legends to choose from as inspiration, as well as creating a fakedex sheet on Google Sheets so people can check which legends have or have not been represented yet.

Uhh this idea just suddently got into my head
:sv/ogerpon:
Masquerade
:sv/ogerpon-wellspring: :sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: :sv/ogerpon-cornerstone:
Pet Mod Name: Masquerade
Pet Mod Concept: This Gen 9 based micrometa will give a set of masks, based on Ogerpon's masks to Pokemon that need them for it to become stronger!
Explanation: Ogerpon, one of the newly added Pokemon from the Teal Mask DLC, has access to 3 unique items that make it a very interesting Pokemon, the Wellspring, Hearthflame and Cornerstone Masks, if it holds one of these, five things happen to it, all of its attacks gain a 20% dmg boost (which im considering eliminating tbh) it gets a new type added to its Grass type, gains a new ability, its signature move, Ivy Cudgel, changes type, and when Terastalizing, can only become the type its mask gave it, but gains a new ability, Embody Aspect, so what if other Pokemon could do the same? The submission rules are as follow:
  • The max amount of mons you can sub is 3, the minimum is 1.​
  • Each Pokemon can have up to 3 masks or less if prefered by the subber.​
  • Each mask has to have all of these effects:
    -It has to give the chosen Pokemon a new type, if its dual typed it gets rid of its old secondary type.
    -It has to get a new ability, which is the only one it can have if wearing the mask.
    -One of the moves from the Pokemon's movepool has to change types to the type its mask gave the user
    -When Terastalized, it has to gain a new ability, not necesarily an Embody Aspect clone (this mod would allow customs for the new ability when wearing the mask, a custom move that can change type with the masks, and a new ability when terestalized, but it would be encouraged to only use them if really needed)
    -The masks should have a name​
  • Have fun and be respectful!​
Pokemon:
Custom Move:
(if needed)
Mask Name:
New Type:
New Ability:
Ability when Tera'd:
Description:

:sv/Coalossal:
Pokemon: Coalossal
Custom Move: Cudgel
100BP | 100% acc | 16 PP | Physical | Rock
Mask Name: Uhh Mask
New Type: Rock/Normal
New Ability:
Engine
broken stuff

Ability when Tera'd: Steam Hams
uber-worthy ability

Description: it isnt balanced at all and will break the meta

Mask Name: Ehh Mask
New Type: Rock/Dragon
New Ability:
Mold Breaker
Ability when Tera'd: Stamina
Description: its bad

Miscelaneous:
  • Ive been considering if we should let all Pokemon Terastalize when they arent holding the mask, or they can only Terastalize if they are holding the mask.
  • Submission phase would last a week, voting phase would last 48 hours
  • All Pokemon are still able to hold other items.
  • I said this before, but should we keep the 20% dmg boost on all attacks that the Ogerpon masks give? Imo that would make the meta way more offensively focused, which i wouldnt like.
  • I have no clue what should we make the slates like, should we do something similar to Poketypos where all slates are just themed around something and ppl have a limited pool of mons to choose to make a sub from? Or does anyone else have a better idea?
  • Should this be a gen 9 micrometa or a nat dex micrometa?
  • I have no clue if this is codeable, so if someone knows how to code into dheaven, pls tell me.
  • I will probably make art for all the masks as well as the banner, unless someone wants to make art for their own mask subs.
  • This doesnt overlap with anything else right?
  • Btw, the masks would only work on the mon that they were subbed with.
If anyone has a question, i would love to answer it, as well as hear any feedback on this!

Last edited:
Natural Selection
Pet Mod Concept: A micrometa simulating a real-life ecosystem, where tournament results affect which Pokemon get buffs, new moves, or go extinct!

Explanation: The Pokemon series has many associations to the field of biology through things such as Evolution (though only by name, really), fossil Pokemon, regional forms, and most recently covergent species. This Pet Mod aims to expand on this aspect by emulating a real ecosystem, where the Pokemon change to fill empty niches and/or adapt to environmental pressures, lest they die off...

The mod will start with 30-40 vanilla Pokemon, either randomly-generated or voted by the community (I haven't decided which yet). Each slate will start with 2-3 tournaments, and each mon will be put into four groups depending on both their use and win rates in the tournaments:
  • Group A (Bottom 25%) go extinct, and are permanently removed from the meta. They will likely be kept in the teambuilder but won't be legal in battles.
  • Group B (Lower 25%) need to adapt to compete with the more successful mons.
  • Group C (Upper 25%) are decently successful, and won't be changed.
  • Group D (Top 25%) thrive and diverge to fill empty niches in the meta.
Each slate's submissions will fall into two categories: buffing Pokemon in Group B, and creating all-new forms/Fakemon based on Pokemon in Group D to replace the Group A Pokemon that were removed. Expect the full mod to last between 6-8 slates.

Group placement, submission guidlines/templates, and other details will be outlined in full submission. Questions and suggestions would be appreciated <3

Last edited:
Single Player Emerald Battle Factory Type Format

This was a format you could originally play in pokemon emerald but for those not familiar it would work like this.

You are shown 6 pokemon, you see their moves/items/ivs and choose 3. You then singles battle an enemy ai team of 3. After you win you can switch one of your pokemon with one you beat, you are shown their moves/items/ivs/evs and its the same as what you saw in battle. You battle in streaks of 7, after the 7th you restart but keep your win streak, meaning you get 6 new choose 3. Higher winstreaks unlock more powerful pokemon and move sets for you and the ai. The total amount of traded pokemon this winstreak gives an increasing chance for better ivs on your initial 6 options.

There is no team preview and every mon has 4-8 possible fixed movesets, items, abilities, and EV spreads. You dont know which one youre facing and you have to deduce based on what moves they use and a phrase given before the battle to describe the tactics and types of your upcoming opponent. The phrase has a lot in it but basically if the foe has 2 of the same type or 2 moves of the same category total among their 3 pokemon it will tell you. For example some categories are: Uses moves that increase stats, Uses heal and defend moves, Uses status condition moves, Uses recoil moves, Uses moves that lower your stats, high risk high return. They cant have more than 1 of an item so this can also let you deduce possible enemy movesets.

After 3 total streaks (21 battles, then 42 battles...) you face a boss, Nolan, who gets perfect iv pokemon and a more optimal moveset for his pokemon.

Theres already formats called battle factory that are completely different so we'd need a new name.

I think this would be a very popular format. Showdown has no single player formats and I think thats something a lot of people would be interested in for a lot of reasons. Its a fun format to play casually as there is no team setup for them (i think this is why ranbats are popular), and the frustration of getting owned by a player is lessened a lot. The challenge is really interesting to keep dedicated players trying to get a higher winstreak. It really rewards format knowledge and strategy. It gives the opportunity to use interesting pokemon with strategies you wouldnt use under other circumstances.

Im not familiar with the process of actually making a showdown mod and how much I can do to help. It would take a lot of effort to make all the fixed loadouts for all the available pokemon, but maybe me and others can supply the spreads. I dont know if Showdown has every worked with trainer ai before, but if not that would be a lot of work to implement. Coding and visually formatting the choosing and viewing of your first 6 pokemon as well as the pre battle message is something that would also need to be done. I think this would be worth it as this is something people really want to play and watch even if they dont know it yet.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Single Player Emerald Battle Factory Type Format

This was a format you could originally play in pokemon emerald but for those not familiar it would work like this.

You are shown 6 pokemon, you see their moves/items/ivs and choose 3. You then singles battle an enemy ai team of 3. After you win you can switch one of your pokemon with one you beat, you are shown their moves/items/ivs/evs and its the same as what you saw in battle. You battle in streaks of 7, after the 7th you restart but keep your win streak, meaning you get 6 new choose 3. Higher winstreaks unlock more powerful pokemon and move sets for you and the ai. The total amount of traded pokemon this winstreak gives an increasing chance for better ivs on your initial 6 options.

There is no team preview and every mon has 4-8 possible fixed movesets, items, abilities, and EV spreads. You dont know which one youre facing and you have to deduce based on what moves they use and a phrase given before the battle to describe the tactics and types of your upcoming opponent. The phrase has a lot in it but basically if the foe has 2 of the same type or 2 moves of the same category total among their 3 pokemon it will tell you. For example some categories are: Uses moves that increase stats, Uses heal and defend moves, Uses status condition moves, Uses recoil moves, Uses moves that lower your stats, high risk high return. They cant have more than 1 of an item so this can also let you deduce possible enemy movesets.

After 3 total streaks (21 battles, then 42 battles...) you face a boss, Nolan, who gets perfect iv pokemon and a more optimal moveset for his pokemon.

Theres already formats called battle factory that are completely different so we'd need a new name.

I think this would be a very popular format. Showdown has no single player formats and I think thats something a lot of people would be interested in for a lot of reasons. Its a fun format to play casually as there is no team setup for them (i think this is why ranbats are popular), and the frustration of getting owned by a player is lessened a lot. The challenge is really interesting to keep dedicated players trying to get a higher winstreak. It really rewards format knowledge and strategy. It gives the opportunity to use interesting pokemon with strategies you wouldnt use under other circumstances.

Im not familiar with the process of actually making a showdown mod and how much I can do to help. It would take a lot of effort to make all the fixed loadouts for all the available pokemon, but maybe me and others can supply the spreads. I dont know if Showdown has every worked with trainer ai before, but if not that would be a lot of work to implement. Coding and visually formatting the choosing and viewing of your first 6 pokemon as well as the pre battle message is something that would also need to be done. I think this would be worth it as this is something people really want to play and watch even if they dont know it yet.
Hello! Welcome to Smogon!

This is a fun format in the games where you can play it, but I think a lot of this is a bit outside of the scope of what Pet Mods is trying to do, and probably just Showdown in general for that matter. Something like this would be very difficult to fully implement into Pokemon Showdown's engine, like making you pick three Pokemon without even seeing the opponent's team, keeping the same team minus one swap between battles, making it so you always battle a specific bot instead of another human player, and so on. It wouldn't be outright impossible, but it'd be extremely time-consuming for our already busy programmers. Taking away that large amount of time from other projects probably just wouldn't be worth it when you can already play Gen 3/4 versions of these on the official cartridges that don't require an internet connection to play.

If you want a modern generation version of this, I think it would be best to look into making a separate fangame as opposed to trying to put it onto Showdown. It'd just be a lot easier to work other engines into this, and those all wouldn't require internet to play them as I mentioned before.

Natural Selection
Pet Mod Concept: A micrometa simulating a real-life ecosystem, where tournament results affect which Pokemon get buffs, new moves, or go extinct!

Explanation: The Pokemon series has many associations to the field of biology through things such as Evolution (though only by name, really), fossil Pokemon, regional forms, and most recently covergent species. This Pet Mod aims to expand on this aspect by emulating a real ecosystem, where the Pokemon change to fill empty niches and/or adapt to environmental pressures, lest they die off...

The mod will start with 30-40 vanilla Pokemon, either randomly-generated or voted by the community (I haven't decided which yet). Each slate will start with 2-3 tournaments, and each mon will be put into four groups depending on both their use and win rates in the tournaments:
  • Group A (Bottom 25%) go extinct, and are permanently removed from the meta. They will likely be kept in the teambuilder but won't be legal in battles.
  • Group B (Lower 25%) need to adapt to compete with the more successful mons.
  • Group C (Upper 25%) are decently successful, and won't be changed.
  • Group D (Top 25%) thrive and diverge to fill empty niches in the meta.
Each slate's submissions will fall into two categories: buffing Pokemon in Group B, and creating all-new forms/Fakemon based on Pokemon in Group D to replace the Group A Pokemon that were removed. Expect the full mod to last between 6-8 slates.

Group placement, submission guidlines/templates, and other details will be outlined in full submission. Questions and suggestions would be appreciated <3

I really like this idea, but would like to clarify some things. Firstly, as per my understanding, each slate adds new pokemon that are similar to top tier pokemon, while also buffing group b pokemon.

I think that a good amount of pokemon for this pet mod would be 40 mons because that is roughly the size of OU.

One concern is that power creep will make mons really strong. 50% of the meta will be improved each "round". This can be remedied somewhat by lowering the threshold for group C, as that will make less mons be buffed.

I really like this idea, but would like to clarify some things. Firstly, as per my understanding, each slate adds new pokemon that are similar to top tier pokemon, while also buffing group b pokemon.

I think that a good amount of pokemon for this pet mod would be 40 mons because that is roughly the size of OU.

One concern is that power creep will make mons really strong. 50% of the meta will be improved each "round". This can be remedied somewhat by lowering the threshold for group C, as that will make less mons be buffed.
Thanks for the input!

Power creep isn't the number one issue on my mind since A), Group D subs are more akin to regional variants or sidegrades, and will likely have the restriction of having the same BST as the Pokemon they are derived from, and B), there will be some restrictions to Group B buffs, particularly a limit on any BST increases.
That being said, changing the thresholds around for each group is probably something I will do: assuming there will be 40 Pokemon in the meta where each group comprises 25% of the mons, that will leave 16 total mons that can be subbed for a slate. That's really spreading really thin, requiring the mod to be very popular (not to mention the reliance on roomtours for Group placement) in order to every mon to get a decent amount of subs. I never thought about just, reducing the amount of mons in Group B and D, which would not only help with potential power creep but lowering the amount of active participants needed for the mod to develop a healthy meta, so thanks for that!

btw the full sub will be posted sometime tomorrow or saturday ;)

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Pet Mod Name: UUbers
Pet Mod Concept: A tier below ubers, where we apply the 4.52% cutoff and play with the 'mons that are left.
Explanation: There are a lot of OUBL 'mons that have no use in Ubers, as well as Ubers 'mons that don't get any use. Learning from freedom cup, we shouldn't make a tier just dominated by flutter mane, so let's apply usage stats to ubers! It would act exactly like a mainline smogon tier, with a banlist (UUbersBL), monthly tier shifts, and could eventually take in some of the legendaries that (might) "drop" from Ubers in the indigo disk.
Miscellaneous: So this meta was already started by me two weeks ago on r/ stunkfisk, and we blew up in a major way I couldn't anticipate, with 1000 people in the discord, and well over 1000 games played total. I also collabed with chompy to make a video about the format, which helped it grow significantly. So it's already a growing a vibrant community. I wanted to bring it over to smogon, and I'm just starting to reach out and see what's up. I (now) know this has been tried and failed before, but this particular meta we've developed seems really diverse and interesting. I want to introduce it to smogon properly, and not try to break any rules or etiquette, so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)