Part of a Balanced Breakfast

Delicious Balance
Hello everyone! I guess this is officially my first RMT. For the past few generations I've been fairly negligent when it comes to competitive Pokemon, so coming back (especially this generation) has been a lot like learning to walk again. Unfortunately I'm really not particularly good, but am hoping to possibly remedy that a bit by getting some input on this team. To put it simply, this is a fairly balanced team with a wallbreaking U-Turn core that aims to help Houndoom sweep near the end-game.

+

After doing some recon of how the current UU metagame was shaping up (and failing miserably with pretty bad teams) these two Pokemon always seemed to outlast the other team in just about every aspect of battling. Well, of course, unless the opponent had Florges and a Knock Off fighter collectively. Mega Blastoise also seemed to be an issue, but was significantly more manageable. This is where my U-Turn core came into play.

+

These two are not only there to help relieve my defensive core from Fairies and Fighting types, but is also there to help break walls. Crobat can walk around Florges for days while Flygon enjoys leading her into Crobat's beefy Brave Birds. On the upside, Crobat enjoys baiting electric type attacks into Flygon who can scare them off and take opponents off guard with a mixed wallbreaker set.

+

And finally, the offensively oriented portion of the team. Heracross is a fantastic revenge killer and helps bait fire and psychic attacks for Houndoom to eat. He also works very well with my U-Turn team, as both Crobat and Flygon can respectively come into popular attacks from Fire and Fairy pokemon that Heracross fears. Houndoom is the end game that the U-Turn core and Heracross work towards. He can also be an effective wallbreaker in a pinch assuming there are no hazards up.

-------------
The Team
---------------

Elemento (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Perhaps the most straightforward of the bunch, Umbreon is the special wall and team cleric. This particular team absolutely hates status, so keeping Umbreon healthy is one of the highest priorities. Umbreon's biggest flaw in this team is his general weakness to Fairy and Fighting types, which is remedied nicely by part of my U-Turn core, Crobat, who generally switches into the respective types with impunity. Perhaps the hardest working pokemon on the team, he is generally very reliant Crobat to stay alive if the opponent has both Fighting and Fairy types on the opposing team. Nothing fancy here, when Umbreon gets the chance to wall something he'll get clear and heal the team to keep the U-Turn core healthy. He's also very good at baiting offensive fire types like Victini and Darmanitan directly into Houndoom's Flash Fire.

Janemba (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

The other half of the defensive core. Currently I'm struggling to choose between either Leftovers or Assault Vest, as that added special bulk really helps the team in specific situations. Psyshock is chosen over Ice Beam to deal heavy damage to fighting Knock Off users that may want to switch into Slowbro, as well as deal at somewhat decent damage to Florges. My U-Turn core also likes supplementing Slowbro's weaknesses, as Flygon can jump right into electric attacks while Crobat strikes fear into the hearts of fighting types. The biggest downside to Slowbro, like Umbreon many times, is dealing with Mega Blastoise who run Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere together. While Crobat is bulky enough to take a hit or two, my team generally isn't fond of him.

Laggia (Flygon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

The wild card and first part of the U-Turn core. Flygon compliments Crobat nicely by helping him avoid pesky electric and rock type attacks. This particular Flygon runs a modified Mixed Support set to take physically defensive walls off guard with immensely powerful STAB Draco Meteors. In essence, Flygon is a great U-Turn partner that can break walls with Crobat hand in hand. What Draco Meteor doesn't OHKO, Flygon can simply switch out of with a quick U-Turn. Because of how many pokemon Flygon can switch into easily, as well as his resistance to entry hazards, Defog makes an excellent form of support to keep Crobat and Houndoom safe from Stealth Rocks. Earthquake is standard STAB that deals massive super effective damage but can also act as a finishing move for weakened walls, as well as hit pokemon that switch in thinking I have a scarfed or specs Flygon.

Dolkka (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 136 Spd / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 176 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn

Along with Umbreon, Crobat does a lot of work for the team in just about every game and is crucial to keep healthy. Crobat is the definition of a toolbelt for the team as he covers the biggest weaknesses of my defensive core. Brave Bird absolutely hurts mons that don't resist it. Taunt is monstrous against Florges and other walls that aren't as physically inclined. In tandem with Flygon, the U-Turn core can wear down walls very quickly with their powerful STAB moves and a little bit of prediction. Even if the U-Turn core fails, Crobat still compliments every pokemon on the team in some way and can help them do their job effectively. Unfortunately he suffers heavily against steel types, and if Slowbro or Heracross are down he can become rather unreliable against them.

Tofu (Toxicroak) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Spd / 132 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Destroyer of worlds part two. Toxcroak allows the team to properly deal insane amounts of damage while checking other fighting types, fairies, and most importantly bulky waters like Blastoise and Suicune. At the same time, he also provides revenge killing potential through the only priority the team has, Sucker Punch. Swords Dance is also a fantastic tool to potentially break through walls that aren't expecting an SD set. While Drain Punch is his only form of recovery, the surprising amount of pokemon he forces out and in generally keeps him quite healthy.

-->

Kotu (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire > Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

The big boss of the team. While Houndoom can come in on many opportunities, I never mega evolve him unless the U-Turn core has sufficiently eliminated the proper Pokemon. Sometimes he can be brought in early in the game to soak up fire attacks and fire back boosted shots, but again, Flash Fire is such a valuable tool that it shouldn't be lost early in matches. Heracross and Umbreon love baiting fire scarfers / banders / psychics into Houndoom, Crobat can help soften up fairies for him to wallbreak, Flygon can come in on EQ's and helps clear the field of hazards, and Slowbro helps spread paralysis. Nasty Plot is chosen over Sunny Day as it's more reliable and generally just helps Dark Pulse and HP Ice get their jobs done more often. While Sunny Day can potentially help the team take care of water types more easily, it generally isn't worth the risk in the off chance Houndoom is forced out and a Victini or Darma get free boosts. Of course, I am still struggling with this decision as Sunny Day can potentially help the U-Turn core deal with Mega Blastoise more easily.

--------
Summary
---------

The point of this team is straightforward. Abuse Flygon and Crobat's U-Turn capabilities to gradually wear down the opposing team for Houndoom to sweep while at the same time complimenting the defensive core to help them against pokemon that can otherwise break through Umbreon and Slowbro collectively. All while Toxicroak helps alleviate other weaknesses the team may deal with.

Keep the suggestions coming. All are appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Hi ! I really like balanced teams as well but I think they might not be the best to start learning a metagame compared to like full stall or HO which play much more mechanically a lot of the time. Still you've come up with a fairly standard team that fairs well against the majority of the metagame, so props to you !
However, there are definitely some holes in your team. Crocune is utterly horrible for you to face considering you can only Taunt it with Crobat and I guess fish for a burn with Heracross. The many offensive Electric-types in the tier give you a fair amount of trouble as your Flygon set is outsped by Mega Mane and Raikou, and Mega Ampharos is obviously a risky switch-in for it, so there's nothing preventing them from just spamming Volt Switch and weakening Umbreon easily over the course of the match. Finally, Yanmega and Vivillon are huge threats that hit your whole team except Crobat super effectively and can both boost their speed to avoid being revenge killed.

Now for some changes !
  • considering how bulky your team is and because you have plenty of rkilling ability through Crobat and Mega Houndoom, I honestly feel like running Scarf Heracross is a waste. I know having a Scarfer feels safer but imo what your team lacks the most is wallbreaking power (although Draco Meteor Flygon is really nifty and has nice synergy with Mega Houndoom !). For this reason I think you should try out bulky SD Toxicroak over your current set. This not only gives you a much more reliable answer to Mega Blastoise that can actually switch into it and win 1v1 but also a great check to the many Crocunes on the ladder.
  • this however puts a lot more pressure on Mega Houndoom to sweep as it pretty much your only win con at this point. So how about you try out a set that trades situational coverage for much better cleaning ability, simply by going Flame Charge > Hidden Power Ice ? This alleviates your speed problem and gives you a far more threatening late-game presence.
  • I would really advise running Calm Mind > Thunder Wave on Slowbro considering you already have pretty much the best ceric in the meta so it can become a really really threatening mon against stall teams lacking Celebi. The utility of Thunder Wave isn't bad but honestly you'd much rather spread burns most of the time and CM Bro gives you a good secondary win con. Overall it makes your team much more flexible, being able to threaten both the really bulky and really fast teams that have a lot of popularity on the ladder.
  • now for the controversial change : I think you really need SR on your team. Bug-types are massively underrated right now and obviously dance around your defensive core for days, while Choiced Fire-types can just safely fire off their STABs since they don't have to worry about being forced out. While I kinda hate to suggest this considering your Flygon set seems pretty effective, imo bulky SR + Taunt Krookodile would be a much better choice for your team, serving as a secondary check to Electric-types. This also means you'd have to stick Defog on Crobat, over Taunt since you would now have that covered with Krook. I dunno, it's changing the dynamic of your team a bit too much for my taste so it's really up to you but I'd definitely consider playing around with it a bit.
Toxicroak @ Black Sludge (you could run LO but the recovery is needed to check Mega Blastoise multiple times during the match)
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Spd / 132 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef (this is really nipticky but always go for an odd HP stat on a SR weak offensive mon)
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk (this is a tentative EV spread; I like to run 228 HP / 80 Atk / 200 Spd Adamant personally)
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 136 Spd / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 176 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Overall I fear I might have changed around your team a bit too much to suit my liking but keep in mind those changes aren't a package deal, so you can just decide which ones you like. Hopefully I've given you a bunch of interesting stuff to test. Good luck with the team and getting back into the tier !

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Choice scarf her across is a major threat to your team. It can, with one move, break down your defensive core, and use its best coverage move, stone edge, to break down the two pokemon on your team who resists his STAB.

On houndoom, I really don't see what HP once does for the set. I guess he hits flygon and noivern harder than dark pulse, bit noivern is naturally faster and flygon often carries a scarf. I would recommend replacing HP ice with flame charge. Flame charge and help against offensive teams where you need to boost your speed. At +1 m houndoom out speeds scarf flygon and noivern (I'm pretty sure that noivern don't usually carry scarf.)

I'll try to add more later bit this is a pretty good team.

Hope I helped!!

Ps if you make a threat list you should put her across on it

Run either dbond or sucker punch doom, hp ice is p bad imo. Also eels rate is very nice (I'd keep cross tho), even tho I love defensive flygon, krook is prolly better and it has amazing synergy with slowbro so yeh.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yea, after some fiddling around I'm definitely switching HP Ice for Flame Charge. This lets me comfortably put Calm Mind on Slowbro since Houndoom can patch up his speed without other support while creating a new win condition. So, at that point, I didn't mind losing Hera as a secondary win condition at the cost of having a better bulky water check in Toxicroak.

Right now I'm trying out Krook and it's working fairly well, but keeping Taunt on Crobat to combat the ever present Florges is rather useful since the team struggles with fairies without him. I also really do miss just how much damage Flygon can inflict on physical walls in a pinch as well as his versatility, so I'm trying to figure out a workaround. If only Flygon received SR... I imagine I'll play around with both and see what comes out of it but I'm leaning toward keeping Flygon as his utility to come in on both ground and electric types comfortably to defog or meteor in their faces feels invaluable.

As far as keeping hera goes, I definitely enjoy the utility of Toxicroak immediately threating bulky waters like Blastoise and Cune since they also have the potential to single handedly frustrate my team. On the topic of scarf cross, I generally think I have enough tools to play around it most of the time. While the scarfed Stone Edge and Megahorn are naturally scary, using Croak and Crobat in tandem often allows me to avoid taking huge damage without too much prediction.

Again, thanks for all them help. I'll update the topic with the current team list. :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with most of Jellied Eels's rate, though one SRer I think would fit better over Flygon is specially defensive Rhyperior. Rhyperior's Rock typing helps against a lot of the stuff you struggle with currently (Vivilion, Yanmega, Honchkrow, Mega Houndoom, etc) and like Flygon, it can stop Volt Switch spam. The main thing you lose out on is Defog and like Eels pointed out you can just use Defog on Crobat so it's not too detrimental.

Also ironically two of the biggest threats to your team currently are some of your own main sweepers, Slowbro and Houndoom. Slowbro pretty much sweeps your whole team if it's set up a CM or two and Houndoom easily sets up on Umbreon with Nasty Plot + Flame Charge. The simplest way to help this is to use Moonlight + Toxic over Wish + Protect on Umbreon. This allows you to basically beat CM Slowbro 100% of the time as well as avoiding being setup bait for Houndoom, even outright beating it in most of the time. It also allows you to actually beat Hydreigon rather than just forcing a stalemate.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail / Protect

Umbreon: Wish + Protect --> Moonlight + Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)