Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i have like 100 hours in tf2 but i felt like i wanted to play something different for a change. i always played defensive stuff in games and i was always the support, whether it was in first person shooters or mobas, so i wanted to make the highlight reel with more offensive champions for once, like reaper (edgy, i know) or something like soldier 76. i should get into learning maps yea, i don't even know which maps are available :P

i've changed my mouse settings, lowering sensitivity and disabling mouse acceleration. in practice i haven't noticed i got much better, but we'll probably see when i queue up for a quick play tomorrow :D
map & enemy awareness is difficult, sometimes this game seems like such a clusterfuck its difficult to process whats happening. but i assume it'll just get better if i just play a lot? are there any specific heroes to play to increase my map awareness?
is widowmaker bad as well? i really want to be good at widowmaker but i think people are trying to tell me she's a worse ana ;_;
Ana is broken. She is without a doubt the best support in the game. However she also has the highest skill floor and ceiling to her.

Widow isn't bad, the thing is she takes up a DPS role where 76 or McCree is more flexible and can help push a bit easier. She's also high skill cap, but without map awareness she'll be harder to play.

RE: map awareness I'd argue Lucio is good to get used to the game with since you heal passively and can understand what is going on with your team. And Speed Boost is sweet fun.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
is widowmaker bad as well? i really want to be good at widowmaker but i think people are trying to tell me she's a worse ana ;_;
Unless youre queueing up for competitive, I wouldn't worry about the meta too much (and even there most stuff works if youre good enough, there are a few widowmaker mains even ranked in the top 500). If youre a low level player in quick play, you could definitely make widow work there. Even in the pro scene, one of the top teams, misfits, used widowmaker to great success in a recent tournament, shes not a bad hero.

Widowmaker has a lot of potential but is just difficult to play. ana is hardly even a sniper aside from the fact that her gun has a scope. Widow has a lot more offensive potential than her overall. Ana is definitely a very good hero but she doesnt eclipse widowmaker by any means, they do totally different things.

defense heroes can all be good, most of them are just only good in certain situations. That applies to just about every hero in overwatch. Nothing is completely unviable.

If youre just getting into the game, enjoy yourself and play what you want.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Widow is absolutely broken against a team that doesn't change their whole positioning to try and counter her.. and honestly, only actual legit teams do that. Otherwise Widow is gonna seriously wreck any game if she can land the right headshots. This game is focused a lot around team fights, and Widow is one of the 3 characters in the game that can one shot a hero, and across the map at that. You can one shot someone and immediately make the team fight 6v5. That alone should usually win you the fight since the advantage is huge.

She also forces certain heroes (Genji, Dva, Winston) to pay attention to her rather than the fight and that alone is huge. And finally, she makes people tilt lol. just land the headshots. 300 dmg across the map is fucking absurd in a game with fall off damage.

My only advice is to learn the abilities of heroes, ultimates, ultimate callouts (friendly ultimates are calm/in english, enemy ultimates are in other languages/not calm), and learn the map layouts.

Then there's small tips that shouldn't matter to you right now that you'll probably learn by playing or browsing random threads about overwatch anyway.

HailFall

envy absolutely fuckin tossed faze oml. also its pretty cool to see how well symmetra was working for envy throughout the tournament, though i suppose some of her effectiveness will die down after people get a better idea of how to play against the new buffed version of her (i forget which team it was but one of them had literally like zero clue where the shield gen was on hollywood and got full held). It really seems like the shield gen has got to be top priority at all times as teams with the shields seem really to have an incredible advantage against teams without it to the point of it being almost impossible to win the team fight. I have almost 100% winrate in the qp games ive played with sym after the buff because most teams dont realize how important it is to destroy it, and most qp teams dont have the coordination to take it down.

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Widowmaker is weaker than Soldier at the moment. She might work for you at first, but like with most of the defense heroes, once you figure out how to beat it, it becomes pretty weak. Unless you happen to be with one of the best Tracers and one of the best Genjis in the world (see: Misfits), or you're Kephrii and you're only playing Widow on ladder for Twitch views, she's pretty inconsistent. I wouldn't bother to pick her up until you know the maps well enough to know where she'll do well, unless you've got some retardedly good aim, to the point where you could flick an aimbot on and see very little difference in your performance.

Dang Joim holy crap! You are on a roll! :pimp:

Ngl I've been stuck at like 3500 with Symm for the longest time now, at this point I just want the gold gun! Lol.

And yeah as for Widow she's REALLY hard to play well, and takes a lot of experience. Most of the Widow I see in comp have 50+ quick play hours of experience. Not only is there aiming but positioning as well, you need to know where to be so you can land the most shots while also having the most cover and escape options available. Arkiado is right that she can be really powerful when played well though, but Dread Arceus is also right in saying Soldier: 76 is very good as well while also being more versatile.

HailFall

Widow isn't a particularly rewarding character unless you're very good but she can be really fun to play in qp and she's usable in comp too as long as you know when not to play her (defense, last point attack, koth) and when to switch. I wouldn't say she's totally not worth learning.

HailFall

I would say the best beginner heroes are soldier, reaper, reinhardt, lucio, and mercy personally. All of these teach valuable fundimentals of the game without being excessively mechanically challenging.

Soldier shouldn't be too hard if youre used to playing cod or something similar. Pretty generic damage hero for the most part.

Mei isn't too hard but using ice walls properly takes some practice. You want to use them to split up a team so you can fight them 6v1 or 6v2. This can be a little bit tricky when you're just learning her, but there are a lot of guides online describing how to properly utilize her walls on the internet so I would look at some of those if you're interested.

Lucio is a good beginner hero for sure, and he's also an extremely helpful one. Imo everyone should have Lucio in their hero pool because he's one of the best in the game and he's not too difficult to get the hang of.

Ana is a little less friendly to beginners, but if you put in the necessary effort you can definitely be good at her. She requires a little of everything. Aim, the ability to compensate for projectiles (unscoped shots + sleep dart), positioning, and decision making. Still, if you're willing to take a challenge she's a great hero to play.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recently got a new laptop that can play overwatch so I guess I can now stop blaming the console community for my lack of skills once I hit 25. I've never really played a fps on a computer though, I know you aim with your arm and not the wrist but is movement just something I'm going to need to get used to or are there tips for wasd

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I recently got a new laptop that can play overwatch so I guess I can now stop blaming the console community for my lack of skills once I hit 25. I've never really played a fps on a computer though, I know you aim with your arm and not the wrist but is movement just something I'm going to need to get used to or are there tips for wasd
this is what got linked to me when I asked about how to arm aim in Cloud 9's discord (although lowering sensitivity and just getting used to it is the best way to get good at arm aiming).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think I moved from wrist aiming to arm automatically when I lowered my sens (750 dpi/4.5 in game. 41cm/360.. i think with this low sens you p much have to arm aim lol) without even noticing @_@ it's not something I ever cared about honestly but it's kinda interesting. I'm pretty sure I still use wrist for minimal movement though.

HailFall

Ugh.. dropped down from mid 2700 to high 2500 due to a combination of leavers, junkrat mains, attack symmetras who've never even tried her before, tilt, and me being forced onto heroes I can't play consistently well enough to pick in comp (roadhog/rein lol). I don't want to be one of the people who say "omg team!!!!" every time they lose but at the same time I have no fucking clue what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone know good ways to handle tilt? It's always been a really tough aspect of comp for me to deal with.

for myself, I cut myself off from playing for a while if I lose more than 3 games in a row. it's a good indicator that I'm not playing well at the time, so I'll hop into arcade or a different game to cool off and try again later. I'm easily tilted too and it's hard for me get untilted if I just keep playing, which causes me to keep losing, which causes me to tilt even further. Getting a good start and snowballing from there is how I usually climb, even if it's just a little bit at a time.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
7.2 CM/360 here, I'm an alien B)

Also one resource I would recommend for everyone but especially new players is the Overwatch Wiki, if there's any sort of interaction or hero specific you're confused about it'll probably have the answer there http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Overwatch_Wiki
You are the first person I've ever seen who has a higher sens than me ._. And I have 10cm/360 rofl. Just how and why man. I only have that high a sens because I started from TF2 where I'm lazy to move my hand that much for a rocket jump and Spy is a thing so I'm basically a ballerina Medic. And I'm also mainly a projectile player so there's that. Speaking of mouse/sens, in case anyone gets a new mouse or just moved to PC etc, make sure your mouse doesn't have built in negative mouse acceleration. It interferes and nope.avi you if you flick the mouse too hard. I only found out that was a thing when my rocket jumps occasionally fail cos I flicked too hard and thought I accidentally 360ed but actually didn't. Just a note.

With regards to online resources, I have no idea how accurate or up to date some sites are given how often things and mechanics change in OW, and sometimes even changed stealthily without being written on patch notes. In case anyone has any questions regarding mechanics and stuff, feel free to double check itt we probably have people who are well informed enough given how long we've played this game so ye ! :p

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm about 27cm, feels good enough for me. I'm getting a new mousepad eventually, so there's that.

You are the first person I've ever seen who has a higher sens than me ._. And I have 10cm/360 rofl. Just how and why man. I only have that high a sens because I started from TF2 where I'm lazy to move my hand that much for a rocket jump and Spy is a thing so I'm basically a ballerina Medic. And I'm also mainly a projectile player so there's that. Speaking of mouse/sens, in case anyone gets a new mouse or just moved to PC etc, make sure your mouse doesn't have built in negative mouse acceleration. It interferes and nope.avi you if you flick the mouse too hard. I only found out that was a thing when my rocket jumps occasionally fail cos I flicked too hard and thought I accidentally 360ed but actually didn't. Just a note.

With regards to online resources, I have no idea how accurate or up to date some sites are given how often things and mechanics change in OW, and sometimes even changed stealthily without being written on patch notes. In case anyone has any questions regarding mechanics and stuff, feel free to double check itt we probably have people who are well informed enough given how long we've played this game so ye ! :p

I've been lowering my sens slowly, but I used to play with like no mouse space, lol. Also I mained Scout :p Only averaged around 60% acc with scatter in MGE though, so yeah lol

Also the OW wiki generally updates with patches within a day of them going live, the sym rework etc are already up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)