Gen 3 OU Sceptile Special Offense (peaked #27, 1671 ELO)

☘ Sceptile Special Offense ☘

Zapdos_E.gif
Dugtrio_E.gif
Steelix_E.gif
Suicune_E.gif
Jirachi_E.gif
Sceptile_E.gif

A brief introduction about myself: Hello everyone! My name is Miguel, I'm from Spain and I'm here to show the first team I've ever built. I discovered competitive Pokémon back in 2013 and despite competing at some local VGC tournaments here and there, I've considered myself a casual player since then. However, as I was overcoming some personal issues in the past few months, my passion for this game reignited again. I've always wanted to create a team that I could felt proud of and matched my identity, and here is the result. At the end of the day, you know what they say... better late than never!

Teambuilding process: First of all, I wanted to answer some simple questions:
  • Why Sceptile? Apart from being my favourite mon since I was a kid, I think Sceptile has some really unique qualities that no other grass type provides. In particular, I believe that its role as a special attacker is quite underexplored (as well as overshadowed by the sub-seed set, which doesn't fit my playstyle). It's able to hit plenty of common threats for super effective damage, and its high speed can be extremely useful for both revenge killing and keeping many things in check. I will be going into the specifics when explaining the Sceptile set down below.​

• Why Special Offense? I tend to prefer offensive teams over defensive teams, so my initial idea was to create some kind of Dugtrio team that intended to eliminate Blissey (and other special walls) as fast as possible in order to further pressure the opponent with Sceptile & co. As I said before, Sceptile hits REALLY hard if you are able to get it into the field safely and target the right threats. In addition to that, I love the archetype due to it being very reliant on well-exerted agressive play, which I believe it is my biggest strength as a player. In the end, it turned out to be the right choice!​

• Did you make changes during testing? Yes, a bunch of them. A whole slot was replaced twice after being stuck in ladder due to losing over and over again to the same structures. However, after that modification the squad got a lot more solid and I was able to accomplish my gameplan much easily more often. Also, it made me reconsider some move choices, which ended up giving the team that final touch it needed.​
Now, with all of that out of the way, let's have a look at how I came up with the definitive version of the team:

Dugtrio_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

Zapdos_icon.gif
Dugtrio_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

Zapdos_icon.gif
Dugtrio_icon.gif
Suicune_icon.gif
Jirachi_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

Zapdos_icon.gif
Dugtrio_icon.gif
Cloyster_icon.gif
Suicune_icon.gif
Jirachi_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

Zapdos_icon.gif
Dugtrio_icon.gif
Claydol_icon.gif
Suicune_icon.gif
Jirachi_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

Zapdos_icon.gif
Dugtrio_icon.gif
Steelix_icon.gif
Suicune_icon.gif
Jirachi_icon.gif
Sceptile_icon.gif

➤ This little diagram represents the thought process behind every decision I made inside the teambuilder. As mentioned before, I wanted to shape the team around Sceptile and Dugtrio. For that reason, Zapdos seemed to be a perfect partner, since it usually lures in a specially defensive check that Dugtrio can take advantage of and works well as a strong lead. Then, I added two more offensive mons, those being Suicune and Jirachi. Nothing really special to say about them, as they are pretty common on special offense teams thanks to their ability to abuse Calm Mind.

➤ Up until this point every choice was fairly straightforward, but the last slot gave me some head aches. First, I tried Cloyster, as it seem logical to me trying to pair all of this offensive pressure alongside Spikes. Additionally, it provided Rapid Spin support and Explosion to help against Snorlax, which could solo almost the entire team after a single Curse. However, Cloyster offered nearly none defensive value in terms of taking attacks from other targets, and its support capabilities weren't worth it most of the time (I noticed that this team has to play at a faster pace). For those reasons, I tried out Claydol, which maintained the Rapid Spin + Explosion combo while still working as that second Rock resist that the team desesperately needed. Sadly, the team still proved flawed in practice, and I was having trouble with the same compositions over and over again (mainly Jolteon balance, Snorlax bulky offense, and some Superman variants).

➤ And finally, it appeared to solve almost all of my problems: Steelix. Not only did it function as a solid defensive pivot for Zapdos and Suicune, but also worked incredibly well as a physical wall. Thanks to its typing, Roar and Explosion it helped immensely against those bad matchups and made them more than feasible. That meant, however, that the main Spikes counterplay was gone, but it was a trade I was willing to make.

The final team!

Zapdos_E.gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave
- Baton Pass

Zapdos
is one of the scariest leads in the whole metagame. Personally, I believe Modest Zapdos is the right and only choice for this specific build, since the extra Special Attack helps enormously when hitting neutral targets. Also you don't need to worry about opposing Zapdos, since Steelix will win the 1vs1 against them. Apart from that, the rest of the set is quite standard: Baton Pass helps pivoting around the opponent's switches and allows Dugtrio a safer entry point, Thunder Wave works as a form of disruption (specially when facing Snorlax and Blissey), and Hidden Power Grass is there to hit Swampert. It's also worth noting that, instead of using Thunder Wave, you can combo Substitute + Baton Pass to improve the consistency of Dugtrio.
When facing Tyranitar, the main counter lead to Zapdos, I usually swap to Suicune first because it can take a hit (revealing part of the set in the process) and pressure it back. From my experience, switching to Steelix expecting a Rock Slide is risky, since you can eat a Fire Blast or Focus Punch.

Dugtrio_E.gif

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Beat Up

Dugtrio
is pretty self explanatory. The EV's spread allows it to outrun base 100 Speed mons like Jirachi and Celebi while always surviving a Modest Ice Beam from Blissey without Spikes. This is the first time I ever make calcs for an ADV team, so let me know if it can be further optimized. Honestly, it has worked fine for me, both in terms of effectiveness and move choices. In numerous occasions I would hit a Celebi switching in with Zapdos Thunderbolt and trap it instantly with Dugtrio, securing the kill with Hidden Power Bug. I know that can be play around if the Celebi clicks Recovet, but they usually Leech Seed instead, so there's that. The last thing that is important to note is that Dugtrio survives Hidden Power Grass/Ice from Jolteon too, so if you manage to paralyze it beforehand it becomes vulnerable to the trap.

Steelix_E.gif

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Roar

Steelix
functions like a backbone for the team. It makes handling Jolteon, Zapdos, Curse Snorlax, Metagross, Dragon Dance Tyranitar, etc. much, much easier. Despite being vulnerable to Spikes, its immunities to Sandstorm damage, Toxic and Thunder Wave makes it really annoying to deal with. In this case, the EV's spread is entirely dedicated on allowing Steelix to 1vs1 Zapdos, which otherwise would be nightmarish for the team. Apart from that, Roar helps against Baton Pass teams and balances cores that try to get in Skarmory to make Spikes. Alongside Zapdos, it creates the 50/50 dynamic that Choice Band Aerodactyl hates, something that benefits the team a lot. The choice between Rock Slide or Hidden Power Rock is based on personal preference. I'd rather hit all my attacks and sacrifice a tiny bit of damage on a defensive mon, though. Finally, Explosion serves as an emergency exit against rough matchups where Steelix doesn't get that much value (Superman) and as a plan B to pressure Blissey.

Suicune_E.gif

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Calm Mind

I'm in love with offensive Suicune. At first I was using Roar instead of Hidden Power Grass, but the addition of Steelix freed that slot. The extra coverage comes in handy against Starmie, but most importantly opposing Suicune (just in case you find yourself in a 1vs1 last mon situation). There's really nothing else to say about this one. Again, I prefer Surf over Hydro Pump because of its accuracy, but I'd guess both options are fine. I don't like Substitute in this one because it seemed too passive for me, and the surprise factor of Hidden Power Grass can be game changing against a Swampert thinking it's "safe" to Roar you. I've considered Rain Dance before, but clearing the weather doesn't affect this team that much and it can boost with Calm Mind anyways. Also, you don't want to have a useless move against rain teams, trust me.

Jirachi_E.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Fire Punch
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

I admit Jirachi has carried me out of countless games. This thing can 2HKO so many threats after a single Calm Mind, and that Timid nature makes it really hard to revenge kill safely without Dugtrio. I used to run Hidden Power Grass in order to hit Tyranitar super effectively, but recently I made the change to Substitute, and it works just fine. It makes Celebi and Thunder Wave Zapdos miserable, which can allow for more Calm Mind set ups. I've thought about replacing it again though, this time to Hidden Power Fighting and a Hasty nature (it already drops to Dugtrio's Earthquake), but it doesn't feel right. Most of the time Tyranitar can be handled without too many issues anyways. It is crucial to note that if Jirachi gets taken down, Gengar becomes a nightmare to deal with, so be careful.

Sceptile_E.gif

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Blade
- Thunder Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed

The star of the team. Sceptile is incredibly useful at exerting offensive pressure, but also requires careful play. It rewards agressive decision making with its huge Special Attack and coverage, which is able to 1HKO Salamence and Gyarados, and 2HKO Moltres, Starmie, Suicune, Charizard, defensive Flygon and Tyranitar. If that wasn't enough, at max Speed you outrun Tyranitar after a Dragon Dance and tie with max Speed Dugtrio (which never kills you at full health). I've had several matches where Sceptile would pick up four kills in the lategame just by outspeeding everything. It complements very well with Steelix and Suicune defensively, so you should take advantage of that. Something I love doing is Leech Seeding in front of a favourable matchup expecting a switch (to Metagross, for example), then making my own swap safer. It's not the most impressive Pokémon in the metagame by any means, but it can achieve things that Celebi can't, and that's more than nothing. By the way, Starmie's Ice Beam puts you into Overgrow range!

And that's all about the sets! Here is the importable (PokePaste).

Some notes on various threats and bad matchups:

Blissey_icon.gif
Forretress_icon.gif
Gengar_icon.gif
Snorlax_icon.gif

- If you don't remove Blissey with Dugtrio, you're done 99% of the time. There's this unlikely scenario where you pressure Blissey with Steelix after the trap and manage to 2HKO it with one of your special attackers, but it's easy to play around that.

- Forretress is basically guaranteed to make at least one layer of Spikes, and it will often get more than that. My gameplan against it usually consist of forcing Forretress out with Jirachi and get some progress done with Calm Mind + Substitute. Here you should play pretending the opponent doesn't know you lack a spinner, so try to keep the pressure up at all cost.

- Every variant of Gengar should always get something of value against this team, whether it is through Will-O-Wisp o damaging moves. Jirachi always lives Fire Punch and threatens back with Psychic (a little bit of chip damage will ensure the kill in spite of the set).

- Snorlax is insanely hard to remove for this team. A combination of Thunder Wave + Steelix could get the work done, but it isn't reliable at all. Try pivoting around to find out what moves can hurt you and then play accordingly.

Kingdra_icon.gif
Ludicolo_icon.gif
Jynx_icon.gif
Regice_icon.gif

- Rain teams demolish every single Pokémon but Suicune, which can't really fire back. In this case, play similarly to the Forretress matchup: keep up the offensive pressure in order to prevent the rain set up. Thunder Wave is your best friend here.

- Lead Jynx will usually force you to reveal half your team. Your best bet against it consists of trying to get Jirachi into the field safely (that means not getting hit by Lovely Kiss).

- Regice is one of the few mons that can take on Zapdos while hurting Steelix hard. However, Jirachi can hard counter it if you avoid the Thunder Wave. After a single Calm Mind it can't break the Substitute, so it's a matter of outplaying the other player. I like to Sub first because is less expectable.

Appart from those, don't let balance cores (like TSS) slow you down. Steelix can absorb Toxic and Zapdos is very good at preventing Skarmory from doing its thing. Something really important for this team to work is to play at a fast pace, which doesn't mean to look for constant reads. Prediction is a double-edged sword that can punish you hard, so knowing when to "go for it" is what makes the difference.

P.S.: As much as I hate to say it, Sceptile should be your sleep fodder :(

Proof of peak and conclusions:

Captura.PNG

Please send me any suggestion you might have to improve the team, I'll be so glad to here it and discuss it. Thanks in advance!

Here are some replays:
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2053348924-2nuia1dziynohk4epks7hzhd8wsbai8pw
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2053358960-zzfxgt3q2gepxvmouvotgrbrmbnf2jmpw
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2053363971-w1rk7rp1cpygfkhwqyxie1mjo6p2gmipw
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2073487658-o8mx7y4teob8zckkf9p92tt25x3riy8pw

Lastly, I'd like to thank the Smogon community for their amazing work. Despite never attending a tournament here, I'm really grateful for being able to play Pokémon this way and having all the resources at my disposal. In particular, I'd like to thank BKC and Jimothy Cool for showing me new ways of enjoying this game and inspiring me to try my best.

Have a nice one!

Attachments

Last edited:
Gracias Miguel, justo en la misma semana que quería usar un equipo con Sceptile subís esto, voy a estar probandolo en la ladder.
¡De nada! Gracias a ti por usarlo.

Y ya que lo estás probando, estuve pensando en cambiar Thunder Wave en Zapdos por Substitute para facilitar las traps de Dugtrio. Aunque paralizar sea muy útil, creo que con la estructura del equipo encaja mejor. Si te animas a probarlo, coméntame qué tal te va :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)