Project OU Player of the Week #17: Lavos

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion

Welcome to OU Player of the Week! This project will feature interviews from some of the most accomplished and influential users in the tier so that we can learn more about them.
-------------

Lavos

most known for: Winning Classic / being the best GSC OU player in the world for the last ~2 years or so
favorite pokemon: Hitmonlee
most used pokemon: Snorlax, lol

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
I'm 21, studying history and economics in college. Aside from Pokemon I play some other games like LoL, Civ, and working through Zelda BotW now. My hobbies outside of gaming include lifting and reading, I'm mostly a solitary person. I also work some 30 hours a week which keeps me busy in addition to school work. I listen to a lot of podcasts, some of my favorites are the FiveThirtyEight politics podcast, Planet Money, and MBMBaM. My favorite author is Brandon Sanderson, and as for good books lately, the best I've read is "The Undoing Project" by Michael Lewis.

Where did you get your name from?
My name is from Chrono Trigger, one of the greatest games ever made. "Lavos" is the final boss, but I won't say more if you haven't played it.

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
II played all the Pokemon games as a kid, starting with FireRed version although I did go back to play Red and Crystal. I was hooked on the competitive aspect, I'd do link battles with my brother and friends all the time. After learning about EV training and IVs which coincided with my ability to use a computer, I stumbled across Pokemon Online and downloaded it eagerly, that's how it started.

What’s your favorite generation of OU and why?
Gen 2 OU / GSC OU is my favorite, I think I enjoy it because even in the worst of matchups, you're never in a situation where you have almost no chance to win at the start of the game. The matches tend to take a bit longer, and winning is more about the accumulation of small advantages over time to capitalize on the opponent's weaknesses. I also enjoy the lack of Team Preview, which I think has its place in some newer gens but would ruin GSC, because a lot of the skill involved is intuiting your opponent's remaining Pokemon and extrapolating movesets based on what you've already seen. For me, GSC also has the perfect balance of strength and diversity in terms of the Pokemon you see, where nothing (even Snorlax) is too overwhelming at once, and there's room to switch things up and innovate without creating such a massive pool of viable options that every game feels radically different from the next. Its simple appearances belie a hidden complexity, not to mention the dozens of minor mechanics differences and specific knowledge that comes naturally with practice. Maybe that's another reason, because with other tiers I've played endlessly such as BW OU, I felt that I reached a point where I couldn't get much better and my games would be decided by matchups and luck when skill was roughly equal, whereas in GSC I truly think that I get a little bit better every time and I'll never stop learning and improving in this tier.

What’s your favorite playstyle to use and why?
I don't have a favorite playstyle, but for whatever reason, some Pokemon just "feel right" to use, and others don't, and that's something I've never been able to figure out. I can't explain why it's this way, but if you go through some of my replays you should be able to identify trends. I'll leave it at that.

What are your thoughts on the current metagame?
The current metagame feels like a handful of people are miles ahead of everyone else, but at the same time a single instance of unfortunately timed luck can swiftly close the gap between good and great players, so I'd say it's volatile.

Are there any Pokemon that you believe are overrated/underrated in the current metagame. Why?
I run the viability rankings, so if something is overrated or underrated, I wouldn't know much about it. I think the way I have things rated is correct.

Despite being known primarily as an Old Gens player; you played SM OU Smogon Snake Draft II, finishing with a positive record. What was most interesting about that experience? What were the easiest/toughest parts of the transition?
The most interesting thing about Snake was how easy it is to learn SM OU. I didn't play Gen 6 and I barely even knew the new type effectiveness charts, let alone any of the new Pokemon, Z-Moves and Megas, all that. But with only a couple dozen games of practice, it became pretty simple. The fundamentals of Pokemon still haven't changed. I was able to post a 3-1 record and be proud of my wins, and I think my loss was due to lack of experience, since I crumbled once my gameplan didn't execute as I'd hoped. So I wouldn't say it was a tough transition. However, my team was ranked #1 in the power rankings, and it was very disheartening to not even make it out of the preliminary stage after being hyped up like that. It barely felt like a team tour, it was over so quickly. Anyway, I'll try to keep up more with the current generation in the future.

What have been some of your favorite moments from SPL so far? Who has surprised you most with their performance?
Favorite moments from SPL...hmm, probably all of my wins? I'm very proud of my play this year. I'm making very few mistakes and picking good teams. And my team, the Alpha Ruiners, hasn't lost a week yet - we are the only undefeated team at the time of writing this, which is great. I hate losing so it's nice not to deal with those feelings this year. I hope we can bring home the red trophy, these guys deserve it. The most impressive performance, although perhaps not surprising, of any individual player in this SPL would have to be thelinearcurve's incredible 6-2 ADV record. He has looked nothing short of dominant in all his wins, and his only 2 losses were both to absurdly poor luck. He's been the better player in all 8 games so far, I hope his team makes it to playoffs so we can see some more spectacular ADV play (another of my favorite tiers).

Which of the official tournament formats do you enjoy the most? Why do you enjoy that format?
I enjoy Smogon Tour the most. Live tours can be excellent, with little time to scout and counterteam it turns into a true test of skill. The only downside is bo1 of course, if it were up to me everything would be bo3 at the least, but I guess some of these people who spend 20+ hours a week on discord can't be bothered to build 2 more teams than usual.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to break into the tournament setting?
To break into the tournaments scene, win tournaments. It's really that easy. If you get a couple significant victories under your belt, people will start to take notice and you'll end up drafted in some official tour. Also, and this applies especially if you're unknown currently, you have the luxury of being able to avoid scouting since you're not a recognized name yet, so you can use the same handful of teams in each tier and just practice getting really good with those before branching out.

Who are some of your favourite people in the Smogon community?
During my long stay on Smogon I've been in a bunch of different social groups, so there are many I'd consider favorites or friends. I'll just list them off here, sorry in advance if I forget you. My teammates on US West such as undisputed, z0mOG, lax, and Philip7086 are at the top of the list. I've also gotten to know some cool people on the Alpha Ruiners like FriendOfMrGolem120, Croven, and Pearl. Stone_Cold for always being down to scrap, we go way back. Same with dice, one of my first friends online. Guys that I met through the GSC community like Earthworm, sulcata, choolio, Conflict, and Mr.378. Everyone I met in BSP, the most powerful jerk of them all. The edgelords in CPG and FPOA. And people don't fit into a category but who I appreciate anyway, such as Nails, Heroic Troller, Astamatitos, UD, thelinearcurve, Hogg, and unfortunately elodin. As for players I look up to and respect, I have to mention Ojama and BKC as the two that I've always felt to be a cut above the rest, I learned a massive amount from watching both of them over the years and I can credit a ton of success to getting my ass kicked by them and having to push myself to get better.

Finally, can you provide us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Sure, this is the team I used vs dice in week 8 of this SPL. It's a powerful offensive build with mixed Selfdestruct Snorlax creating pressure right off the bat, and a solid pivoting core of Cloyster/Zapdos/Steelix to set things up for sweepers Machamp and Tentacruel. The team has a few innovative twists that give it a leg up over standard offense, namely Light Screen Machamp allowing it to safely handle enemy Electrics and provide support for Tentacruel, and the unconventional Rest+Iron Tail Steelix instead of the usual Earthquake+Explosion, sacrificing some immediate power for the ability to play the long game if the initial blitz of momentum doesn't break through the opponent's defenses. It's perfect for my style, allowing me to constantly stay a step ahead when I have the advantage, while still giving me options to play from behind if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the interview, it was fun!

You should check out the fan-rom CT sequel "Crimson Echoes" if you haven't already -- it has terrible balancing in a lot of parts but it's so well-made and enjoyable to play through as a die-hard fan of the series.

Anyways, how do you feel so far about your time this season on the Ruiners, maybe in comparison to other Smogon team tours you've been drafted in? And secondly, do you plan on pitching yourself as a manager for future Smogon team tours?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's your favorite team tournament experience since you started playing on smogon?

Since you mentioned that you've read a few books, what's your favorite novel of all time?

Who are some up and coming players that you're watching in the oldgens tournament community?

and most importantly...where the hell is the researcher badge???

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in SPL that wasn't and who are you looking forward to seeing in WCoP?
Who do you think is the biggest up-and-coming GSC player rn?
What other metas are you interested in outside of the old gens you play?
What's your thought process with building?
Thoughts on the GSC pool this year? Also on SD Lax?

Have you tried other tiers aside from OU? If yes, what have you played and which one have you enjoyed most?

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Anyways, how do you feel so far about your time this season on the Ruiners, maybe in comparison to other Smogon team tours you've been drafted in? And secondly, do you plan on pitching yourself as a manager for future Smogon team tours?
Ruiners is a pretty fun atmosphere, no complaints. I think our team identity has become privately laughing about other teams which I'm all for. And yeah I'll manage someday if Certain Individuals can get over old grudges.
Another Sanderson fan
Hell yeah brother, journey before destination
What's your favorite team tournament experience since you started playing on smogon?

Since you mentioned that you've read a few books, what's your favorite novel of all time?

Who are some up and coming players that you're watching in the oldgens tournament community?

and most importantly...where the hell is the researcher badge???
My first World Cup, it was amazing to get that opportunity and we even won. I had a disgusting 5-1 record that really put me on the map.
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
Every time I think someone is about to break into the big leagues they bomb out or have a shit tour so I don't want to name names in order to avoid cursing them.
MAN seriously I've done more for old gens research than anyone since Crystal_ so I am a little salty about it. Apparently it's Not Enough Content but you can't expect there to be much in the way of undiscovered mysteries when it comes to 15+ year old games.
who do you fuckin hate in smogon

whos the shittiest player uve played
You for both
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in SPL that wasn't and who are you looking forward to seeing in WCoP?
Who do you think is the biggest up-and-coming GSC player rn?
What other metas are you interested in outside of the old gens you play?
What's your thought process with building?
Thoughts on the GSC pool this year? Also on SD Lax?
Mr.E and blarghlfarghl for SPL. For WCoP, idk. Looking forward to seeing East lose for once. Still mad about that.
There are no up-and-coming GSC players, last year I would have said Century Express and sulcata but they're both doing well in SPL now. Does ABR count?
I'm interested in what Gen 8 ends up being like, I really hope they don't introduce some more overpowered bullshit.
My thought process is "ok what do I want to build around" --> "what supports this pokemon/core" --> "what techs do I slot to not instalose to stuff" and that's about it. There's probably more that goes into it but it's become second nature to me by now.
The GSC pool is weaker than expected. I really hyped it up but yeah, nothing special. Lots of players have disappointed. I think Conflict gave me the best match so far. Fear played well but he got bailed by luck at the end, and I really haven't lucked a game yet, so I feel like I'm a head above the competition for now. Even people like d0nut who are still undefeated in GSC, it just bends my brain how they keep winning with mediocre play, and the answer is their opponents keep playing even worse. I think maybe some players are still stuck in last year's meta and a few of us are ahead of the curve in that sense.
how do you like your steak
Medium rare but I can eat it rare or medium to be polite, medium rare is just the perfect balance of flavor and consistency. I don't judge unless you order well done, do you eat airplane seats too?
Have you tried other tiers aside from OU? If yes, what have you played and which one have you enjoyed most?
99.9% of what I play is OU, but GSC UU has been pretty fun in my limited experience.
What is the best way to practice gsc rn? Top players dont quite play friendlies often, is laddering an ok option?
Play tournaments, there's always stuff going on in the RoA subforum. Ladder is decent near the top, but usually dead during the hours I'm around.

Thanks for the questions lads

you've had success in other games. do you think the success other games have in establishing better competition (and how smogon comparatively doesn't) is due to pokemon's limitations as a competitive game, or the small player pool?

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Lavos As you study history, which period (could be country specific or not) or event do you find the most interesting and why?

Also as an economics student, do you think that what you learn at college perfectly describes or explains the real world economy? Do you think certain things need to be updated to fit the current economic climate, for example. If not, how so?

6 favourite Pokemon?

There’s a lot of debate about which generation of Pokemon requires more skill to play competitively. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s true that there is a difference? If so, which gens do you think require more or less skill than others?

Last edited:
GSC
What is your favorite GSC team you've made of all time and why?

What is your favorite GSC team someone else's made of all time and why?

Favorite GSC tournament battle you've played of all time and why?

Favorite GSC tournament battle you weren't a player in of all time and why?

What are your favorite little intricacies of GSC play and why? (An example would be ZapLax switching on SkarmKou with Spikes down, or Lax on Nido IB then back to Zap for extra Lefties.)

What are some of your more current meta-specific observations, mon/set/core/teamwise and playwise?

Thoughts on GSC Ho-Oh + Celebi (not as in "should it be OU," as in your thoughts on it as a meta), and will you play the upcoming tournament with it?

Other gens (e: can include gsc where appropriate)
Favorite team from: ADV, BW1, BW2 (any meta) and why

Favorite Pokemon and sets in SM?

What would you change about SM?

What kind of teams did you use on the Latias ladder that made you want to DPP in SPL? Did you make them yourself? What about them and/or the tier were so enjoyable that you wanted to switch out of GSC? I'm assuming that had something to do with it rather than just wanting a change of pace.

Favorite non-GSC tournament battle you've played of all time and why?

Favorite non-GSC tournament battle you've watched of all time and why?

Most infuriating tournament game you've ever played?

What innovation(s) of yours are you most proud of?

Name an instance of a set you saw someone else use and had an instant eureka "I gotta use this, this is amazing" moment about its ingenuinity.

Dumbest set you've ever seen work? When did it take place?

Will you ever get into ORAS? What are your thoughts on the meta as an outsider?

Top 5 best competitive Pokemon memories? Doesn't have to be a battle or anything, although it obviously could be.

Top 5 tournament regrets and why?

Any hopes for SS? Special Intimidate, physical Assault Vest, Regen nerf to 25%, etc.

Speaking of Regenerator, it's an oft-reviled ability in the last two generations. Unaware isn't quite as universally despised but also gets some scorn thrown at it when people decry stall. Do you think that defense needs boosts too as offense gets stronger and stronger?

Non-competitive
Top 5 favorite childhood Pokemon memories?

How did Hitmonlee earn its vaunted spot as your favorite Pokemon?

Non-Pokemon
5 greatest metal albums of all time and why?

Your five favorite non-metal releases of all time and why?

Favorite film of all time and why?

What was it like living in Sweden?

Despite our occasional Aggressive Standoffs, I respect the hell out of how you don't hide your opinions on things and people in the shadows. I also always enjoy watching you play. It's been amazing watching you go from BW ban me please to top tier GSCer ever since you made becoming the latter your goal six years ago now. Keep it up man. Appreciate the kind words too.

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
u a bigot?
"no"
Wtf why was undisputed the only one that didn’t get a tag in those shout outs?

<3 you bro. Never doubted your skill since the day you Fire Blasted me with Aero in BW, lol.
you're the original reason I stuck around, <3 you bro
you've had success in other games. do you think the success other games have in establishing better competition (and how smogon comparatively doesn't) is due to pokemon's limitations as a competitive game, or the small player pool?
Yeah smogon is pretty poor in terms of promoting its tournaments and fostering competitiveness. I think it also has a lot of limitations just due to the fact that The Pokemon Company/Game Freak only care about Doubles, so I doubt competitive pokemon in the sense that we know it will ever truly take off compared to the likes of major esports (or even grassroots scenes like melee).
Lavos As you study history, which period (could be country specific or not) or event do you find the most interesting and why?

Also as an economics student, do you think that what you learn at college perfectly describes or explains the real world economy? Do you think certain things need to be updated to fit the current economic climate, for example. If not, how so?

6 favourite Pokemon?

There’s a lot of debate about which generation of Pokemon requires more skill to play competitively. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s true that there is a difference? If so, which gens do you think require more or less skill than others?
My study of focus is colonial and postcolonial African history so probably that time period of 1870s-present Africa.
Economics is pretty outdated as a field and they need to start abandoning the Chicago model in favor of a more realistic framework. Behavioral economics is a thing.
Hitmonlee, Charizard, Deoxys-A, Breloom, Machamp, Chandelure.
I think all gens require relatively equal skill and the skills required past a certain point just become specialized to varying degrees. For my money GSC is the most skillful and RBY is the least but they're all fairly close.
fav style of music?
I'll just say "metal" as a catch-all
GSC
What is your favorite GSC team you've made of all time and why?

What is your favorite GSC team someone else's made of all time and why?

Favorite GSC tournament battle you've played of all time and why?

Favorite GSC tournament battle you weren't a player in of all time and why?

What are your favorite little intricacies of GSC play and why? (An example would be ZapLax switching on SkarmKou with Spikes down, or Lax on Nido IB then back to Zap for extra Lefties.)

What are some of your more current meta-specific observations, mon/set/core/teamwise and playwise?

Thoughts on GSC Ho-Oh + Celebi (not as in "should it be OU," as in your thoughts on it as a meta), and will you play the upcoming tournament with it?

Other gens (e: can include gsc where appropriate)
Favorite team from: ADV, BW1, BW2 (any meta) and why

Favorite Pokemon and sets in SM?

What would you change about SM?

What kind of teams did you use on the Latias ladder that made you want to DPP in SPL? Did you make them yourself? What about them and/or the tier were so enjoyable that you wanted to switch out of GSC? I'm assuming that had something to do with it rather than just wanting a change of pace.

Favorite non-GSC tournament battle you've played of all time and why?

Favorite non-GSC tournament battle you've watched of all time and why?

Most infuriating tournament game you've ever played?

What innovation(s) of yours are you most proud of?

Name an instance of a set you saw someone else use and had an instant eureka "I gotta use this, this is amazing" moment about its ingenuinity.

Dumbest set you've ever seen work? When did it take place?

Will you ever get into ORAS? What are your thoughts on the meta as an outsider?

Top 5 best competitive Pokemon memories? Doesn't have to be a battle or anything, although it obviously could be.

Top 5 tournament regrets and why?

Any hopes for SS? Special Intimidate, physical Assault Vest, Regen nerf to 25%, etc.

Speaking of Regenerator, it's an oft-reviled ability in the last two generations. Unaware isn't quite as universally despised but also gets some scorn thrown at it when people decry stall. Do you think that defense needs boosts too as offense gets stronger and stronger?

Non-competitive
Top 5 favorite childhood Pokemon memories?

How did Hitmonlee earn its vaunted spot as your favorite Pokemon?

Non-Pokemon
5 greatest metal albums of all time and why?

Your five favorite non-metal releases of all time and why?

Favorite film of all time and why?

What was it like living in Sweden?

Despite our occasional Aggressive Standoffs, I respect the hell out of how you don't hide your opinions on things and people in the shadows. I also always enjoy watching you play. It's been amazing watching you go from BW ban me please to top tier GSCer ever since you made becoming the latter your goal six years ago now. Keep it up man. Appreciate the kind words too.
Definitely the LS Zap + Charizard team I used vs JTurt in week 1 of SPL 9. It's not especially creative, those 6 have been done before, I just think my team does them in the best way possible with all the sets maximizing Zard's ability to get it done.
I really like this dice team because it never feels like you don't have a way to win. I used to build with dice all the time and his teams generally incorporate many of my own preferences.
Probably this battle against giara from SPL 9 week 4. I pulled off the miracle Mirror Coat Smeargle t1 vs Zap, then t2 he freezes my Lax and I'm having a heart attack trying to figure out how I crawl back into it because my team is insanely Gar weak, and at the end I either make an incredible read or he chokes spectacularly, depending on how you want to view it. Very close one and sticks out in my mind as a game where I nicely recovered from some early bad luck.
Not sure what my favorite GSC battle is that I didn't play in, I'll have to think some more on that and get back to you.
Oh man, GSC has so many intricate little details that completely shape how the game is played at a high level. There's too many to list here but my favorite is the mindgame that occurs with the various lead scenarios, whether it's offense mirror Zap on Zap t1 and you have to debate Thunder/switch to Ground and double back to Zap for momentum vs Cloy/switch to Lax and Curse to trade Spikes for potential damage on Cloy, or Zap on Kou mindgames with the Zap user going Thunder once to fish Kou's potential Cloy switch for Spikes advantage or hard switch and risk it, vs Kou's dilemma of the very risky Cloy switch or fishing with Thunder on a potential stay in/Lax switch, or going Hidden Power to hit a Ground. It gets even more complicated when you throw Egg's Thief/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder/Explosion t1 capabilities into the mix, or Nido Thief/LK/IB on Zap switch if no Zap lead, or even Lax lead and all the sets that can throw at you...I firmly believe that the first few turns in any tier, including GSC, set the pace for the entire match, and it's very important to me that I get them right as often as possible, so I think about this stuff constantly. This is also part of why I love non-preview tiers, because shit like this actually exists and is far more complex than a simple decision of what to lead off with based on the opponent's team that you can see from t0. Man, team preview was a mistake, but at the same time necessary to balance the rampant power scaling in later gens, which was also a mistake lol.
I think the meta is in an amazing place currently, I'm having a ton of fun with GSC now that the Jynx spam and IB/HP Elec Cloy nonsense has died down (as I predicted!) and we're seeing the resurgence of Raikou balance teams and some love for Wak and Vap which had gone relatively untouched for the first half of this SPL. Just throwing out a couple good sets I think should see more play, Toxic Raikou is in a perfect spot for this meta, Curse Rest Iron Tail Roar Steelix is a godsend for offenses that need long term answers to Zap but can't sacrifice BoomLax, and SubSeed Egg has never looked more appealing. Can't say more until after SPL ends because there's stuff I want to use in playoffs.
GSC Ho-oh + Celebi is something I enjoy almost entirely due to the novelty of it, I don't think it's particularly fun after more than a few games but I'll play the upcoming tour if I have enough time between school/work/official tours.

Favorite ADV team would have to be your triple electric squad, I spam that in friendlies even if it's a bit outdated. BW1 you know I loved Sun Offense, anything with Ninetales/Dugtrio/Xatu/Venusaur/Volcarona was great for me, very fun and easy to pilot. For BW2 it has to be the babidi Staraptor HO with Sand Rush Exca and Taunt Tailwind Torn, it's not even close to good anymore but it opened my eyes to a bunch of unexplored options centered around Tailwind spam and huge CB dudes like Kyu-B.
My favorite pokemon in SM is Kartana, that thing is so cool. I love the CB set and also Z-Normal. Big fan of Bulu and Hoopa-U as well.
I would delete Celesteela and Pex, absolute momentum killers and no fun to play with or against. Not saying they're bad for competition but man I hate them.
I made some of the Latias teams myself, but realized Latias wasn't a great choice for the ladder, so then defaulted to a lot of OTR Zong teams and some Azelf + DDTar HO that Tama made. I was just having a good time with DPP in friendlies and on ladder, it felt like a balanced metagame where games were somewhat quick and each turn mattered significantly more than in other formats, plus I was very burnt out of GSC at the time after a full year of playing it nonstop. However, the skill of the GSC pool during signups made me switch back to my main tier, I wanted a crack at Earthworm/Conflict/Fear and the rest. Very happy with how that turned out btw. 8-1 now, 9-0 without bullshit.
My favorite non-GSC battle of all time is my DPP game in classic finals vs Ojama, at the time I considered it my worst tier and despite that I felt like I played that game perfectly and predicted his gameplan quite well, it was the first time I truly thought that I had a strong grasp on the tier. It also won me the tournament so it's important to me in that sense.
Can I say 3 battles? The blunder-SoulWind STour 25 finals series. Two of the best new gen guys around showing off 100% of their talent.
Most infuriating would have to be my WCOP finals tiebreak game against ABR because I should have won if I played a little more aggressively or managed to crit him just once with my Vap but in the end I let the pressure get to me and didn't make the moves I needed to take it home. Ended up losing the entire tournament for my team and I was absolutely crushed about it. Still can't look at the replay without feeling like shit. I take it too personally sometimes.
I'm most proud of all my baton pass innovations that led to wins, that shit should never see a victory in a real competitive game but I've managed to tech it out like crazy to surprise and confuse my opponents into choking, it's always satisfying to get a win that way even if it doesn't feel like a real GSC game should. Lead Egg to force team reveals, lead Scizor for free momentum, weird Smeargle 4th moves like Spikes/Encore/CRay, Protect DrumLax, Mega Kick, you name it. I can confidently say that no one plays BP in GSC as well as I do. Aside from that I don't feel like I've innovated all that much, just taken existing ideas and refined them to suit my style. I was going to bust out the Sub Growth HPump BP Vap + Jynx which I've been using on ladder for a while, but d0nut stole it already, so there's no point anymore.
Definitely the Counter + Zap Cannon Rhydon set, Osgoode showed me that one and it just clicked.
Dumbest set I've ever seen is Jimmy's Surf Ttar in week 4 of SPL 9 that just happened to fucking destroy marcop's Golem and his GSC career in one hit. I can't believe it worked, obviously meant to check the Rhydon spam at the time but man. What a bad move.
I don't like ORAS, as an outsider it feels like a more matchup dependent BW. I can play it to a decent level but I doubt I'll ever get really into it unless I decide to make a serious STour run one of these days.
1. Winning WCOP VII with team West, that will always be my fondest memory on this site. 2. Winning Classic, it was huge to prove to myself that I am a seriously strong player when I put my mind to things. 3. Being on the Tyrants in SPL 9, I had so much fun with that team. 4. Qualifying for my first (and only, so far) STour playoffs way back in #13, I hope to get back into those, live tours are awesome. 5. Winning GSC Cup III after a long hiatus from Pokemon, it surprised me as much as anyone else and inspired me to make an actual comeback.
1. Losing to ABR in WCOP finals tiebreak. So fucking annoyed. 2. Not clicking HP Ice on Fear's obvious Marowak switch in our most recent game, would have prevented the still obnoxiously lucky AncientPower 10% boost + high roll EQ on my own Wak sweep and given me a perfect 9-0 record so far. 3. Choking on dicks vs Malekith in our BW game in STour 13 quarterfinals. 4 and 5. Both SPLs that I cancered/quit, I was in a bad place mentally but I should have just followed through on my commitments to those teams, I sincerely regret being such a dickhead back in the day and hurting dozens of other people's chances at a trophy.
No clue what SS will bring, I hope they delete the fucking Fairy type and throw all the Mega stones into the abyss though. Worst changes of all time in Pokemon: Fairy type, Megas, and Defog doing what it does now.
Ideally, offense and defense are equally viable options. I will always prefer offense but the game needs both.

1. My first time loading up Pokemon FireRed version on my Game Boy Advance SP, holy shit. I remember it vividly, I saved for like 3 months to have enough money to buy it, then tore open the box and started playing in the back of my dad's car on the way home from Target. I was completely blown away, I can't even describe the feeling. 2. My first link battle with my best friend Jared, it opened my eyes to the competitive aspect of Pokemon. 3. Discovering EVs/IVs! A whole new world of possibilities, ways to beat my friends, and what led to endless hours spent grinding Gastlys and Tentacools or whatever. 4. Biking in the freezing cold to GameStop at like 7 AM with my brother on the release day of HGSS and getting my tiny Ho-oh figurine, I still have it somewhere. 5. First time beating the Elite Four in FireRed, I felt like such a "Champion" xD.
Hitmonlee just looks cool, man. The eyes inside its solid body give it a menacing and mysterious appearance and its legs can apparently extend like crazy and kick with the force of a thousand suns. I picked it from the dojo in FireRed in my first playthrough and immediately starting leading off with it every battle, didn't matter that it was 10 levels behind my party, I needed to Rolling Kick everything. Oh yeah its starting moveset was full of great animations too, that drew me in. Its design is just unparalleled, it's not flashy but it's perfect nonetheless.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain. For me it evokes feelings of the wilderness, being alone in nature, the insignificance of the individual, and things that I have identified with strongly over years growing up in a rural location and spending most of my time alone.
Burzum - Filosofem. What I think the original "black metal" is supposed to sound like. It's impossible not to get lost in it.
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells. Everything on this album just shreds, I can't get enough of it. The true Slavic experience, anger and frustration at one's own condition of helplessness.
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice. The absolute pinnacle of atmospheric bm. Way better than any Leviathan release. Can sample Sylvia fucking Plath and make it work.
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn. For some reason I really love the whole dungeon synth sound, I always put on Summoning at the gym or when I'm doing something repetitive, it's easy to get into a rhythm with. All their albums are great, this is my personal favorite because the track Old Mornings Dawn is the ultimate banger.

Daft Punk - Discovery. So catchy.
Matthew Good - Vancouver. His voice just gets me, man.
Lloyd Cole - Broken Record. Washed up old half-successful musician recounts his many failures in the bluegrass style and it works.
Electronic - Electronic. Cynical anti-establishment tunes you can dance to.
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die. Had to include this masterpiece. I don't listen to rap anymore but this carried me through many a moody high school afternoon.

My favorite film is Ocean's Eleven, the 2001 version with Clooney, Pitt, and Damon. It's just flawless. Like there is not a single second of screen time that I would add, delete, or move. Funny as hell and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Sweden was dark and depressing. In my host family, the parents were always working, so I rarely saw them. My only housemate was their 12-year old son, who basically became my brother and best friend while I was there, we would stay up late almost every night playing LoL and talking shit in a mix of English in Swedish, those are my best memories from there. At the school I went to, no one wanted to be my friend. It was unreal to me how firmly established every clique was, the entire country is so insular and I found it impossible to even start a conversation. The cultural norms are as such that being outgoing makes you a freak. In public no one looks at each other, people walk with their heads down, there are no smiles or waves. You are expected to keep to yourself. I am generally a fan of isolation but this was a new extreme. The food was bad, horrible weather, not much to see or do. I did some exploring and enjoyed some historic locations in Uppsala and Stockholm but my visit mainly consisted of hanging out in my bedroom, and I left as soon as I could. Still, I suppose it taught me some things about myself that are important to this day.

You know I respect the hell out of you too, we don't have to agree on everything to have an understanding of each other. Thanks for the great questions and I hope to play you in some future tours. Don't quit on me, this community wouldn't be the same without you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)