Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips for using stall? I'm trying to branch out and learn different playstyles, but wow I am so bad at using stall.
Aditionaly, you might want to check out the stall thread. While it's not as organized, you will find many examples of good stall pokemon, pokemon that threaten stall, how to deal with them, along with many more things. I sound like an advertisement don't I...

What's FunBro?

It was a Slowbro holding a Leppa Berry (although there are other pokemon capable of doing this, such as Blissey and the Gallade/Gardevoir line), utilizing the moves Block, Slack Off, Heal Pulse, and Recycle. The idea was to come in on something that couldn't deal with it, use Block to make it so they couldn't switch out, and then spam Slack Off infinitely, recovering infinite PP with Leppa Berry and recycle. Heal Pulse would heal the opposing pokemon when it ran out of moves and started to kill itself with Struggle, causing matches to be literally endless. While Funbro wasn't necessarily overpowered or dominant, it was notable and entirely worthy of banning due to the fact that it was the perfect example of an uncompetitive playstyle, and the necessity of a (very) complex ban for dealing with it..
Thanks!!

Last edited:
What's FunBro?
It was a Slowbro holding a Leppa Berry (although there are other pokemon capable of doing this, such as Blissey and the Gallade/Gardevoir line), utilizing the moves Block, Slack Off, Heal Pulse, and Recycle. The idea was to come in on something that couldn't deal with it, use Block to make it so they couldn't switch out, and then spam Slack Off infinitely, recovering infinite PP with Leppa Berry and recycle. Heal Pulse would heal the opposing pokemon when it ran out of moves and started to kill itself with Struggle, causing matches to be literally endless. While Funbro wasn't necessarily overpowered or dominant, it was notable and entirely worthy of banning due to the fact that it was the perfect example of an uncompetitive playstyle, and the necessity of a (very) complex ban for dealing with it..

I understand that when using Sheer Force with a Life Orb, it counts the LO recoil as the secondary effect for moves that already have one and so removes it. Does this mean that these moves can still use their secondary effect? To give an example, can LO SF Feraligatr's Waterfall flinch?

I understand that when using Sheer Force with a Life Orb, it counts the LO recoil as the secondary effect for moves that already have one and so removes it. Does this mean that these moves can still use their secondary effect? To give an example, can LO SF Feraligatr's Waterfall flinch?
No, Sheer Force also counts the Waterfall's secondary effect to flinch and makes it so it can't happen, thus making the attack even stronger with a LO.

so I'm new to this competitive battling, and i love poison types, i wanna build a mono team because i heard its tough and tricky and i like a challenge, and thats how i learn, by diving into the hard stuff, so say i had a tentacle and a draggle, what would be good evs to give those types of pokemon? i understand poison types are good defensive walls, but kind of of offensively?

so I'm new to this competitive battling, and i love poison types, i wanna build a mono team because i heard its tough and tricky and i like a challenge, and thats how i learn, by diving into the hard stuff, so say i had a tentacle and a draggle, what would be good evs to give those types of pokemon? i understand poison types are good defensive walls, but kind of of offensively?
Tentacle and draggle. Nice. I'm assuming you mean tentacruel and dragalge?
Tbh, mono-poison isn't really viable due to the prevalance of ground types in the meta, such as landorus formes, excadrill, etc. But if you want the EV spreads, here they are:

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast

Choice specs dragalge, EVs to outspeed azumarill I think.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off

Speed evs to outspeed adamant bisharp and jolly ttar, rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and defense.

Tentacle and draggle. Nice. I'm assuming you mean tentacruel and dragalge?
Tbh, mono-poison isn't really viable due to the prevalance of ground types in the meta, such as landorus formes, excadrill, etc. But if you want the EV spreads, here they are:

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast

Choice specs dragalge, EVs to outspeed azumarill I think.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off

Speed evs to outspeed adamant bisharp and jolly ttar, rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and defense.
so for the tentacruel i have, thats pretty close to the plan i had for him, the only difference was my plan for his moves to be scald, ice beam, sludge wave, and toxic spikes, and as for ground, isn't that easily countered with a faster tentacruel with scald or a a crobat, nidoking, or venusaur?

If you'd like to use a mono-poison team, sorry to say but mono-type teams simply don't work in competitive. Come up against one Pokémon that beats the type and you're likely dead.
However, I'd go to the Other Metagames subforum and find the Monotype thread there; that should be what you're looking for.

If you'd like to use a mono-poison team, sorry to say but mono-type teams simply don't work in competitive. Come up against one Pokémon that beats the type and you're likely dead.
However, I'd go to the Other Metagames subforum and find the Monotype thread there; that should be what you're looking for.
even if you have countermeasures like dual types or abilities that ground wouldn't affect such as levitate?

Well tentacruel is a great spinner, and you can form a decent stall team with the core: mega sableye + tentacruel + jirachi. Mega Sableye can't get past heatran and clefable, so you have tentacruel. The core is screwed by mega gardevoir, so add a jirachi.
You may also consider getting a mentor, here.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
understandable, so is there a basic format for team building then? because i have no idea where to start! i have my tentacruel and i definitely want him on there
If you want to play with only 1 type, I advise you to check out the Other Metagame Monotype. In this Metagame you can only use 1 type (in your case poison)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-xy-read-post-393-for-tiering-updates.3493087/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...kings-see-post-1118-before-reserving.3517737/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)