Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you send someone a private message? I know how to post on someone's wall on their profile, but I want to send someone a message longer than 420 characters. How do I do that?

I've been in an argument with a friend about what Mega Charizard X set is the best. Simply put, my friend says that Dragon Claw on CharX is a bad idea because if you're using it, you should be using it for complete brute force. I, on the other hand, like to browse these forums a good bit, and I personally argue for Bulky DD and Dragon Claw/Roost, due to more staying power. What's the general consensus on Offensive/Bulky DD being a better set and why?

Hello what is the ideal spread for AV Kyurem B? My team is really having a hard time with Ninja and I'm sick of using Azu.
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem-B: 118-140 (30.1 - 35.8%) -- 35.2% chance to 3HKO

That's taking regular offensive Kyu-B from the damage calc and slapping on an Assault Vest. So you don't need a whole lot of investment to check Gren. Well, at least until Low Kick Greninja comes out.

I've been in an argument with a friend about what Mega Charizard X set is the best. Simply put, my friend says that Dragon Claw on CharX is a bad idea because if you're using it, you should be using it for complete brute force. I, on the other hand, like to browse these forums a good bit, and I personally argue for Bulky DD and Dragon Claw/Roost, due to more staying power. What's the general consensus on Offensive/Bulky DD being a better set and why?
Even an full offensive Char-X, run Dragon Claw. Char-X almost always relys on boosting moves (SD, DD) or Roost, and being locked into Outrage never helps. Bulky DD v. Offensive DD is more a matter of preference, but always run Dragon Claw over Outrage.

A lot of people act like physical greninja is such a crime. I got banned from a room for saying I run physical greninja once. I mean, I know that Greninja has higher base SpAtk than Atk, but 95 is actually really good. Plus, similar to its cousin Sceptile, his good physical movepool outweighs his good special movepool. I prefer to run it, due to the unpredictability. I first saw it when one of my friends used it, and it swept several teams (including mine).
But no, instead, you get banned from a room. Why is it such a crime?

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
In the current metagame, Roost is mandatory on all DD CharX (I suppose that's the set you were discussing). This is becuase it turns Pokemon like Rotom-W, Ferrothorn and Bisharp into setup fodder, and acts like a much more reliable win-condition against defensively oriented teams. When it comes to the better version of DD Roost, there are generally two sets you choose between (with tweakable EVs):
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 152 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

In my opinion, the offensive set is the better one; it fits on most playstyles, and has the perk of outspeeding Scarf Landorus-T at +1, which is huge, seeing as how it's many teams' only check to DD CharX. The bulky set is very good on stall teams though, as it can prove to be a fantastic win-condition late game :]

A lot of people act like physical greninja is such a crime. I got banned from a room for saying I run physical greninja once. I mean, I know that Greninja has higher base SpAtk than Atk, but 95 is actually really good. Plus, similar to its cousin Sceptile, his good physical movepool outweighs his good special movepool. I prefer to run it, due to the unpredictability. I first saw it when one of my friends used it, and it swept several teams (including mine).
But no, instead, you get banned from a room. Why is it such a crime?
Banned from a room might have been harsh (wasn't there, can't say for sure), but honestly, I don't know why you think it has a better physical pool. Running special gives you Hidden Power, Hydro Pump, and so many other moves. The strongest move it has physically is Return, which has no coverage, and every other move has BP 80 or lower. Thus, physical Greninja results in a mon attacking with a weaker attack stat using generally weaker physical moves. To top it off, physical Greninja beats almost nothing that special Greninja can't. The only thing I can think of that physical Greninja takes on better is Kyurem-B, but now you struggle against Ferrothorn, Scizor, and many other threats. When ORAS comes out mixed Greninja will likely be a thing, but for now physical Greninja is a really suboptimal set.

Banned from a room might have been harsh (wasn't there, can't say for sure), but honestly, I don't know why you think it has a better physical pool. Running special gives you Hidden Power, Hydro Pump, and so many other moves. The strongest move it has physically is Return, which has no coverage, and every other move has BP 80 or lower. Thus, physical Greninja results in a mon attacking with a weaker attack stat using generally weaker physical moves. To top it off, physical Greninja beats almost nothing that special Greninja can't. The only thing I can think of that physical Greninja takes on better is Kyurem-B, but now you struggle against Ferrothorn, Scizor, and many other threats. When ORAS comes out mixed Greninja will likely be a thing, but for now physical Greninja is a really suboptimal set.
Eh, I understand. I will still use it, but I will use special ninja too.

At least its not SPECIAL ZANGOOSE. No seriously, I saw that in OU...

Eh, I understand. I will still use it, but I will use special ninja too.

At least its not SPECIAL ZANGOOSE. No seriously, I saw that in OU...
Word of advice: don't count any below 1500s as OU (and that's being generous by most standards). You will likely see some weird unviable mons and sets up until the 1500s, where things are better but the players are still considered mediocre and teams still have the occasional unviable mon.

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while but how is Destiny Bond on Gengar? He's part of a 3-way tie for the fastest user of the move and it is useful at killing a potential threat to the team.

Hey guys, I wanna make a speculation about a pokemon and post it on this page. Do i have to do some sort of reservation thing/get permission from a mod or can i just make one whenever i want? :P

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey guys, I wanna make a speculation about a pokemon and post it on this page. Do i have to do some sort of reservation thing/get permission from a mod or can i just make one whenever i want? :P
Sending one of the OU moderators (found here) is necessary before making any thread. If they approve, you can go ahead and make it, but if they decline, you're disallowed to make the thread.

I've been making a BO team that has issues handling Greninja, and I found AV Kyurem-B to be a good solution to the problem. What's the standard EV spread and moves for AV Kyurem-B? I saw it mentioned once in the viability ranking thread but I have been unable to find it.

1.) depends on your skill level. Don't worry about it.
2.) a few hours at least - 10% making the first draft, 90% playtesting and creasing out any kinks you find.
3.) While the first statement is true to an extent, the second statement is the biggest: Synergy. I can garuntee 100% that a team made of MegaZardX/Latios/Greninja/Keldeo/2 random A+ mons will be much worse than a team with obscene synergy made of C+ mons or below.
4.) Nothing is 100% mandatory. However, you should have at least one check for the top 30 used pokemon, and one reliable counter/two checks for the top 10.
Thanks for the reply, I just realized that Terrakion was #31 in usage, why is he suddenly bad? I thought he was like a nuke or something.

I'm interested in participating in tours but I'm not really sure where to go. Tried looking trough the forums but I only find threads saying who won. Lol any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, I just realized that Terrakion was #31 in usage, why is he suddenly bad? I thought he was like a nuke or something.
It's not bad, it's just not dominant like it used to be. The Lead set is very effective, SubSD is pretty good imo, and Scarf sets still can be useful I guess. The biggest issue is that it's speed tier is less effective than it used to be. 108 was close to the gold standard in BW, in XY almost every team has something over 115+ base speed.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are the EVs on standard Ferrothorn for? Said EVs being 252/0/88/0/168/0.
That spread avoids the 2HKO from +3 manaphy's Ice Beam and has good overall bulk. However, you can use a sassy nature to avoid the 2HKO from the combination of Hyper Voice + Focus Blast from Mega Gardevoir most of the time.
edit: ninja'd by legit a second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)