Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a fast water type on my team (so far its megalucario and togekiss) who's capable of being fast and can dish major damage while taking a hit or two. I'm thinking either greninja or starmie. Starmie has better defenses, resistance to bullet and mach punch, recover and natural cure, plus access to a fairy move. But greninja has protean (which will essentially provide a form of defense to take some hits), better speed and offenses, a wide array of moves, and the capability of playing huge mindgames. I want starmie for it's reliability, durability, and initial resistances; but greninja is so fast, so cool, and capable of wrecking other teams, ghost types especially.

Who should i select?

Thanks for any answers!

Edit: also, would it be better to drop togekiss and select crobat and azumarill to back up megalucario? I dont want to really do this, but if it's more efficient in helping megalucario sweep rhe other team one the rest of my team has laid some wreckage and momentum for him...

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but roar/whirlwind/dragon tail, whatever, still work on mega evolutions right? So phazing out a mega-evolver right after it has evolved would mean no more mega evolving for that battle, cause you can only do it once per battle. Seems like a simple solution to the mega gengar everyone is freaking out over. Maybe my roaring suicune will be useful this generation too.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but roar/whirlwind/dragon tail, whatever, still work on mega evolutions right? So phazing out a mega-evolver right after it has evolved would mean no more mega evolving for that battle, cause you can only do it once per battle. Seems like a simple solution to the mega gengar everyone is freaking out over. Maybe my roaring suicune will be useful this generation too.
I wish XD

As far as I know, mega evolutions retain their form even when switched out, and only revert once they have fainted or when the battle ends. So mega gengar can be phazed, but it's going to pop out again sometime, in mega form, ready to kill your entire team. That thing, on a somewhat unrelated sidenote, needs to go to ubers with blaziken. NOW.

I'm not sure if this was available in the past generation for Kingler, but Krabby's hidden ability for 6th gen is Sheer force

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/098.shtml

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of power is going to lie behind Kingler with this? Cause it sounds kind of scary honestly.
It was like that last gen, too. I can't see too much being used with it, as it doesn't really seem to have the movepool to abuse it. Checking BW, it gets: Waterfall/Crabhammer, X Scissor, Metal Claw [Faeries], Superpower, Double Edge...
Not exactly the best moveset to abuse it.

Welp, guess I missed more on last gen than I thought. Seems like that new Clawtizer crab Pokemon is better so far.

I keep reading that Breloom was nerfed. Is there anything I missed besides:

Low Sweep doesn't work with Technician
Spore doesn't work on grass, and sleep mechanics changed anyway

Because he seems like he's still worth training up. Got a friend with a Breloom safari and I always liked him as a pokemon.

So I've got two perfect Timid Froakies (31/x/31/31/31/31) but one has Protean and the other has Torrent.
Since I owe the Protean one to someone, I'm wondering, if I use a Torrent father and the mother has Protean, will I still be fine? Or should I keep the Protean dad (same perfect IVs) to increase my chances of getting a good amount of perfect offspring (hopefully with Protean this time?)

TLDR if the father doesnt have the same ability as the mother how much worse does my chance at getting the mother's ability passed down become?

keep reading that Breloom was nerfed. Is there anything I missed besides:

Because he seems like he's still worth training up. Got a friend with a Breloom safari and I always liked him as a pokemon.
all that, and also new fairy types now resist fighting.

I got traded a Ferroseed with Spikes, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed. I think it has 0 Speed aswell. Would it be best to put Gyro Ball on it and go with the very hazard heavy moveset or should I swap out Spikes or Stealthrock for Power Whip?

Is there a battle facility ingame where I can check the stats of my pokemon(during battle); I need to figure out my IVs.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I got traded a Ferroseed with Spikes, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed. I think it has 0 Speed aswell. Would it be best to put Gyro Ball on it and go with the very hazard heavy moveset or should I swap out Spikes or Stealthrock for Power Whip?
I think two hazards are often a bad idea on one Pokemon ferrothorn is one of the few that can pull it of if you really want, but i would much rather run a set with spikes, Leech Seed, Gyro Ball and Power Whip or Thunder Wave/Protect.

You could also run SR over Spikes, but there are quite a lot pokemon that can learn SR (at least when Poke bank gets released) and only very few reliable spike users and imo Ferrothorn is one of the best. If you really can't make room for SR on another Pokemon Ferrothorn is one of the most reliable users, but given that it can switch into quite a lot of Pokemon without much fear multiple times Spikes are simply better. SR is best left to something that can set it up fast and early in the match to counter threats like DNite and Volcarona while a spike user should be bulky and able to set them up over the the whole match.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Kinda curious if there was a vote or reasoning on the initial banlist anywhere, or if it's simply temporary until a vote is done? I don't see any thread on it or anything so idk. It seems kinda bizarre that Kyu-B (OU last gen), Deo-S/D (been tried in OU in recent gens), and Darkrai (almost got a suspect test last Gen) are up in Ubers right now while like Skymin is not.

Hi! Sorry if this isn't the right place t say this, but does anyone have a Safari with a Ditto in it? :) Please leave a VM or PM. Thank you! :)

Mega Evolutions stay in the their form even if switched. Means you can switch that Shadow Tag Mega Gengar back in, for example

I keep reading that Breloom was nerfed. Is there anything I missed besides:

Look in the New Cores thread, there's a deep discussion about Brelooms nerfs in there

how does one go about getting a third ability pokemon namely Pumpkaboo and how does one get the size one wants

Anyone can give me a light on how to lay my hands in a Infiltrator Crobat?
Use Sweet Scent to bait hordes of Zubat in Connecting Cave, its how I got mine; if you have a pokemon at the front with substitute, you can easily find the one that's hitting your HP regardless of your sub. My advice, though, is keep going till you get a female one, if you want to breed it; I got a male one, bred for 3 days, 50+ zubats, got plenty of Jolly ones, and no infiltrator, despite the newfound (yet, evidently, very low) chance for males to pass down their hidden abilities, went back and got a female one, and bred the right Zubat first time.

EDIT: Just to clarify, since it struck me as being a helpful addition to answer your post, all horde battle have a chance to include a pokemon with their hidden ability.

EDIT 2:

how does one go about getting a third ability pokemon namely Pumpkaboo and how does one get the size one wants
The first edit applies to you, too! If Pumpkaboo doesn't come in hordes, however, you'll need to find it in someone's friend safari, for which there are vast amounts of spreadsheets of friend codes, listing the pokemon in each person's safari. Just trawl google for someone who has it in theirs. I don't remember off the top if Pumpkaboo comes in hordes, off the top, but I don't think it does.

An alternative is to look on the GTS for level 30, female Pokemon, which, if you're lucky (and it doesn't take much luck, it's how I got at least two hidden abilities for my team) will have their hidden ability, having possibly been caught in the friend safari; I suggest females, just because it means you can breed off of it.

Last edited:
Use Sweet Scent to bait hordes of Zubat in Connecting Cave, its how I got mine; if you have a pokemon at the front with substitute, you can easily find the one that's hitting your HP regardless of your sub. My advice, though, is keep going till you get a female one, if you want to breed it; I got a male one, bred for 3 days, 50+ zubats, got plenty of Jolly ones, and no infiltrator, despite the newfound (yet, evidently, very low) chance for males to pass down their hidden abilities, went back and got a female one, and bred the right Zubat first time.

Just to clarify, since it struck me as being a helpful addition to answer your post, all horde battle have a chance to include a pokemon with their hidden ability.
Didnt know we could get HA in hordes.. Thank you for the info :)

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So I've got two perfect Timid Froakies (31/x/31/31/31/31) but one has Protean and the other has Torrent.
Since I owe the Protean one to someone, I'm wondering, if I use a Torrent father and the mother has Protean, will I still be fine? Or should I keep the Protean dad (same perfect IVs) to increase my chances of getting a good amount of perfect offspring (hopefully with Protean this time?)

TLDR if the father doesnt have the same ability as the mother how much worse does my chance at getting the mother's ability passed down become?
As long as the mother has Protean, you have about an 80% chance of getting baby Froakie with Protean.
Is there a battle facility ingame where I can check the stats of my pokemon(during battle); I need to figure out my IVs.
The only place that autolevels your Pokemon ingame is the Battle Institute (which I do not recommend because it goes for five battles), but there are other ways to check your IVs.
Prerequisites:
- Have your Pokemon evaluated by the Judge in Kiloude City Pokemon Center
- Find out your Pokemon's Hidden Power from a man in Anistar City
- keep track of your Pokemon's EVs (or use a Reset Bag)
- use Metalkid's IV calculator: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

If you have access to multiplayer battles:
- bring six Pokemon into a battle with another Trainer with the Level 50 rule set - they will be auto leveled to 50 and you can check their IVs

If you do not:
- have a few Rare Candies on you
- using Metalkid's IV calculator, record your Pokemon's stats each time you use a Rare Candy on it in the stat field (be sure to adjust the level!)

I was wondering how long it would take for the meta to actually take form? I'm not being impatient or anything, I just like to know about when things happen so i can plan for them accordingly. Is there gonna be a meta formed sometime between now and the pokecloud, and then updated when we get more pokemon, or are we just looking more at mostly speculation until we get there, and then kinda finalizing things with the pokecloud over the next month or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)