Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

today i vs'ed a bot
as soon as the battle initiated it said "I am a bot, good luck" and started timer simultaneously before whole screen had even loaded. it literally just clicked super-effective moves (i.e was really shit). at the end it said "well played". are bots allowed and it this a bot made that showdown created?

Hey, can someone vouche for a belly drum alolan raticate?

I mean he's probably gonna have extreme speed and sucker punch, PLUS gluttony, so i think belly drum would make him unstopable. I mean ofc, when paired with a Mat block greninja.

What do you guys think?

I mean he's probably gonna have extreme speed and sucker punch, PLUS gluttony, so i think belly drum would make him unstopable. I mean ofc, when paired with a Mat block greninja.

What do you guys think?
To be honest, I feel it's still too early to draw conclusions. We have no idea how the meta game is going to play like for Gen 7 yet so I honestly can't be sure. And I just kinda feel this is too much of a "what if" scenario.

What do you guys think?
This is also the wrong forum for this topic; while we try not to theorymon too much due to not having enough information, you should ask this in the VGC/Doubles OU section if there's an appropriate place for it as this forum is purely for singles OU.

today i vs'ed a bot
as soon as the battle initiated it said "I am a bot, good luck" and started timer simultaneously before whole screen had even loaded. it literally just clicked super-effective moves (i.e was really shit). at the end it said "well played". are bots allowed and it this a bot made that showdown created?
nobody cares because they're not actually good at laddering, as you mentioned

today i vs'ed a bot
It's definitely allowed. In fact, the maker of one such bot made a thread about it aaaaaaaages ago and got a really positive response from the mods. I'm not sure who creates such bots, but it's a pretty cool project. The reason it only clicks se moves is becomes the sheer amount of hard coding it would take to enable a bot to make predictions reliably and consistently is actually crazy. If it was even remotely near logistically feasible to do this without the coding taking up too much data, game freak would have implemented it into the actual games by now for things like the battle maison or e4 battles and stuff. Again though, the idea of bots is still pretty cool.

If you really want to see bots, Challenge Cup 1v1 is absolutely full of them, and they don't really seem that much worse than the players, tbh. CC1v1 is mainly about looking for decent movesets and guessing what your opponent will pick, and if they guess right, just using SE moves works well enough.

I've been using a Latios set consisting of Draco-Psyshock-Defog-Roost, with me having Defog because I want to have a safety measure vs. hazard stacking teams. However, a young gentleman told me not to use such a set as it severely undermines Latios's offensive ability.

My question is: Considering that none of my team members are weak to Stealth Rock, but none resist it and all are vulnerable to Spikes, should I have Defog on Latios anyways, or should I take the gentleman's advice and put in a coverage instead?

I've been using a Latios set consisting of Draco-Psyshock-Defog-Roost, with me having Defog because I want to have a safety measure vs. hazard stacking teams. However, a young gentleman told me not to use such a set as it severely undermines Latios's offensive ability.

My question is: Considering that none of my team members are weak to Stealth Rock, but none resist it and all are vulnerable to Spikes, should I have Defog on Latios anyways, or should I take the gentleman's advice and put in a coverage instead?
If you really feel like your team doesn't care too much about hazards, and you have pokemon that can easily deal with skarm and ferro anyways, then you can definitely forgo defog for maybe a coverage move depending on what your team needs (surf, hp fire, eq, or even tbolt or ice beam), or you can even run draco psyshock cm roost. I wouldn't go near as far to say that defog 'severely undermines' it's offensive capability, as while it's nice to have wide coverage, I'd say you'd only end up using your coverage move in 20% of your battles, being surf, with the other coverage moves coming in handy even less frequently. While latios isn't the most reliable defogger in the tier, it can definitely get the job done. It just depends on how much you feel hazards annoy your team (and it's always nice to be able to get rid of your opponents hazards even if they don't bother you too much).

I've been experimenting with a phys def rocky helm mence as a lando substitute coz fuck lando and ive been wondering what the best moveset for it is. Mence has a gigantic movepool which makes it hard for me to detirmine what would work best in the ou metagame.

I've been experimenting with a phys def rocky helm mence as a lando substitute coz fuck lando and ive been wondering what the best moveset for it is. Mence has a gigantic movepool which makes it hard for me to detirmine what would work best in the ou metagame.
I think you could make the moveset something like Dragon Tail, Fire Blast, Roost, Defog

Like other's have said, it isn't really recommended, the only plus defensive Salamence has is access to Defog and resistance to water and grass.

Landorus is great as he(to some extent) punishes volturn while being able to uturn himself out, has access to rocks and Knock off, can double dance and also has one of the strongest EQ in the game.

Salamence feels like a huge step down, a set with Defog Fireblast/Hydro pump Draco Meteor and Roost, Salamence higher speed tier and access to a 210 BP nuke are the things it can brag home about, but I feel it just can't compare to Landorus T guessing game it tends to cause on team preview.

Last edited:
Hey ladies, I hope this question is simple enough to fit this thread:

I've been lurking on Smogon for quite a while, always a big Pokemon fan, no matter how old I got ;) Lately I'm thinking about trying to take Pokemon (specifically PS) a bit more serious. Now I have a general idea of the OU metagame thanks to this forum and the great amount of information, but I'd like to know if someone has a few tips on where to start?

Obviously I don't want anyone to create the perfect team for me (like that exists), but maybe some general guide points, like is there a certain archetype that makes ranking easier in the beginning? A certain type of team I want to avoid? Or is going for a top tier Pokemon and building a team around it the way to go?

Also how reliable are the EV spreads etc. that are given in the Smogon pokedex? Are they up-to-date and accurate? Or just to give people a general idea?

Already thanks a lot for your replies, and if you have any more tips, go ahead, let me know :)

Hey ladies, I hope this question is simple enough to fit this thread:

I've been lurking on Smogon for quite a while, always a big Pokemon fan, no matter how old I got ;) Lately I'm thinking about trying to take Pokemon (specifically PS) a bit more serious. Now I have a general idea of the OU metagame thanks to this forum and the great amount of information, but I'd like to know if someone has a few tips on where to start?

Obviously I don't want anyone to create the perfect team for me (like that exists), but maybe some general guide points, like is there a certain archetype that makes ranking easier in the beginning? A certain type of team I want to avoid? Or is going for a top tier Pokemon and building a team around it the way to go?

Also how reliable are the EV spreads etc. that are given in the Smogon pokedex? Are they up-to-date and accurate? Or just to give people a general idea?

Already thanks a lot for your replies, and if you have any more tips, go ahead, let me know :)
If you're starting out, building bulky offense / balance / offense is a good idea, since their makeup and gameplans are fairly basic. Hyper Offense is a bit different to play since they're heavily momentum based, while stall and semi-stall teams are really tough to build successfully. Beyond that, it's up to you. Play around with different cores, find stuff you enjoy using and devolop your own style.

Most of the commonly used mons have relatively up-to-date entries, so most of what you'll find in there will be accurate for the current meta. Fringe stuff is never really a priority beyond its primary analysis, so there's probably some outdated information in there.

Also here's your list of forum resources, for future reference.

If you're starting out, building bulky offense / balance / offense is a good idea, since their makeup and gameplans are fairly basic. Hyper Offense is a bit different to play since they're heavily momentum based, while stall and semi-stall teams are really tough to build successfully. Beyond that, it's up to you. Play around with different cores, find stuff you enjoy using and devolop your own style.

Most of the commonly used mons have relatively up-to-date entries, so most of what you'll find in there will be accurate for the current meta. Fringe stuff is never really a priority beyond its primary analysis, so there's probably some outdated information in there.

Also here's your list of forum resources, for future reference.
God damnit, Stall and Semistall were the ones I was most interested in playing :D Is it really "only" the teambuilding process that makes those harder to being with? Because I like the general idea of swapping/predicting swaps to just check and wear down everything your opponent throws at you (yeah, I know, I'm THAT kind of guy).

And thanks for the info about EV and the list. I knew most of the topics like the teambuilding and checks compendium etc., but it'll surely help

God damnit, Stall and Semistall were the ones I was most interested in playing :D Is it really "only" the teambuilding process that makes those harder to being with? Because I like the general idea of swapping/predicting swaps to just check and wear down everything your opponent throws at you (yeah, I know, I'm THAT kind of guy).

And thanks for the info about EV and the list. I knew most of the topics like the teambuilding and checks compendium etc., but it'll surely help
Building a good stall team takes a lot of trial and error in understanding how offensive trends work, some are weak to trap Tran, others drop like flies to sub Kyurem B and then there is hellspawn Manaphy, specs Keldeo and Rest Heracross. It takes a lot of trial and error to create positive match ups to all of those, and even more trial and error to learn how to predict sets in order to identify a wincon.

I'd say stick to balance for a while and once you see how some cores work then try stall based archetypes.

I can't believe there are still people that think stall is a no brainer switch happy playstyle...If people really tried to build one from start they would realize how hard it is to actually keep a stall team relevant on a Metagame with so many different wincon for offense.

Building a good stall team takes a lot of trial and error in understanding how offensive trends work, some are weak to trap Tran, others drop like flies to sub Kyurem B and then there is hellspawn Manaphy, specs Keldeo and Rest Heracross. It takes a lot of trial and error to create positive match ups to all of those, and even more trial and error to learn how to predict sets in order to identify a wincon.

I'd say stick to balance for a while and once you see how some cores work then try stall based archetypes.

I can't believe there are still people that think stall is a no brainer switch happy playstyle...If people really tried to build one from start they would realize how hard it is to actually keep a stall team relevant on a Metagame with so many different wincon for offense.
Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't want to say Stall is a nobrainer :o It's just the archetype I'm mostly interested in playing. But I see your point about trial & error, and I guess since at the dumpster ranks people play whatever comes to their mind, it's even harder to identify a stable metagame to build against?

So I'll take your advice and start with balance or bulky offense, thanks again for your help mate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)