Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

How do Sword and Shield’s brilliant pokemon work?

Edit: follow up question, are the special moves that brilliant pokemon get relearnable through the pokemon center guy if forgotten or not?

Last edited:
I am playing Pokémon Fire Red Version, and I would like to obtain Porygon at the Rocket Game Corner. Is there any strategy for the... slot machines? I only have ~P$120000, but even if I had P$200000, I imagine there is an efficient way to use the slot machines. Bulbapedia does not have guidance on the topic, but are there methods or particular machines that seem to increase / have higher return?

I am playing Pokémon Fire Red Version, and I would like to obtain Porygon at the Rocket Game Corner. Is there any strategy for the... slot machines? I only have ~P$120000, but even if I had P$200000, I imagine there is an efficient way to use the slot machines. Bulbapedia does not have guidance on the topic, but are there methods or particular machines that seem to increase / have higher return?
The simplest method on emulator is to just use save states to check if the game decides you can win or not on that roll, then trying to time a 777, based on this guide. This is probably the most intuitive method.

The particular machine you choose doesn't seem to matter in FRLG. There are different bias rates for the potential payouts, but the machineIdx variable it uses is purely determined randomly when entering any slot machine, so you can't really take advantage of this other than reloading the machine just based on vibes.

There seem to be 9999 coin speedrunners who pull off the 777 fairly consistently, though without any explicit guides from what I can tell it seems like the strategy is to time 777s when allowed and otherwise just mash when under the cooldown.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The simplest method I've read is simply saving frequently and soft resetting if you wipe out. It takes time, but if you quit and save the game every time you're up by 500 coins it's a fairly reliable way to build up to the amount you need.

I’ve been trying to build up a supply of Max Mushrooms in Sword. Just about every single resource I check says that they appear at a raid of 1 cluster per every 3 Max Raid Battles conducted on the Isle of Armor.

But there have been several times now where I’ve had zero mushrooms on the map, and then I completed 3 raids, but still found no mushrooms. I’ve tried flying to the mainland and back to see if maybe the maps needed reloading. I’ve tried closing out and restarting the game. I’ve seen some people claim that you have to Dynamax you own Pokémon during the raid in order to make the mushrooms appear, and while I’m a little skeptical of that claim, I’ve been doing it anyway just to be sure. And yet still, I can often complete 3 raids and come up with no mushroom spawns in any of the four areas they grow in.

Do event raids not count? Do Wishing Piece-generated raids not count? I haven’t messed with the system clock or anything. Is it just not actually a 3:1 appearance rate, despite the usually reliable sources all seeming to report that? Is it actually 3 raids for a *chance* at spawning them, or something? I’m just wondering if maybe there’s some more exact info on this that I’m missing.

I’ve been trying to build up a supply of Max Mushrooms in Sword. Just about every single resource I check says that they appear at a raid of 1 cluster per every 3 Max Raid Battles conducted on the Isle of Armor.

But there have been several times now where I’ve had zero mushrooms on the map, and then I completed 3 raids, but still found no mushrooms. I’ve tried flying to the mainland and back to see if maybe the maps needed reloading. I’ve tried closing out and restarting the game. I’ve seen some people claim that you have to Dynamax you own Pokémon during the raid in order to make the mushrooms appear, and while I’m a little skeptical of that claim, I’ve been doing it anyway just to be sure. And yet still, I can complete 3 raids and come up with no mushroom spawns in any of the four areas they grow in.

Do event raids not count? Do Wishing Piece-generated raids not count? I haven’t messed with the system clock or anything. Is it just not actually a 3:1 appearance rate, despite the usually reliable sources all seeming to report that? Is it actually 3 raids for a *chance* at spawning them, or something? I’m just wondering if maybe there’s some more exact info on this that I’m missing.
So I actually went through the same thing a while back. Unless I'm severely misremembering (I'm wishing I had written down my experiences, sorry!), what usually happened is just missing a spot during my checks. Like they can spawn in multiple points in there, so its easy to just overlook one of the spawn points. Especially if they're on a side path or behind a rock.

if it is just a "chance" the chance is really high. I'd queue up like 4 or 5 and only occasionally would I not find one....and then usually I would find an "extra" later on.

I do believe Event Raids count, I do not know if Wishing Pieces count.

incidentally, what I wound up doing is on a file I had that had like no progress I just abused the fact I had Home and swapped between files so I had a really strong Pokemon that could effortlessly destroy the 1-2* Raids after rushing through the story parts of IoA. I think just about every mushroom spawn location is one that doesn't require a bike, so even with the added travel time it was just way faster than trying to deal with the myriad tougher raids from an end game file.

How do you max out the stat experience of an LC Pokemon in Gen 2 for Little Cup in Stadium 2? I thought of doing vitamins + box trick but that just goes to ~23k. How do you get the ~34k required to max it without leaving Level 5?
Just within Gen 2, using the daycare resets your EXP to the next level if you don't reach the next level so you can grind infinitely without getting out of Level 5. In RBY you have access to weird 0 EXP rounding with EXP. All as well.

Why do fake GBA carts not work with Pal Park (and is this something that someone with limited technical knowledge can fix)?
The save isn't stored in the same place or manner as the real ones, so anything that looks for it (they don't work with XD and Colosseum either) can't find it and thinks there isn't one. And despite them editing the rom to handle it (some even also removing the anti-cheat code as well) they didn't bother to include a way for other things to find it.

Some fakes do store the save properly, but most don't. Only way to know is to boot up the game and save, if it hangs for a bit while saving (the music stops playing for a second or two and animated background tiles stop moving) it won't work with the GameCube or DS games, if it doesn't it will.

There is no way to fix this.

QuentinQuonce

Why do fake GBA carts not work with Pal Park (and is this something that someone with limited technical knowledge can fix)?
Only real way around it is to trade Pokemon to a real copy and migrate them. Not the most helpful or convenient fix but it's something I've done on several occasions (I've a fake Emerald and FireRed cart and can confirm numerous Pokemon from both are currently alive and well in later generations)

QuentinQuonce

I've genuinely no idea as to the answer to this and no idea where I'd check it.

Anyone know the total number of species which have ever had some manner of event distribution or special ID number? Obviously event distribution is simple enough but for "special ID number" any of the following would count...

-in-game trade
-in-game event, like N's Pokemon
-gifted Pokemon which retain a special ID like the HOME Melmetal

I've genuinely no idea as to the answer to this and no idea where I'd check it.

Anyone know the total number of species which have ever had some manner of event distribution or special ID number? Obviously event distribution is simple enough but for "special ID number" any of the following would count...

-in-game trade
-in-game event, like N's Pokemon
-gifted Pokemon which retain a special ID like the HOME Melmetal
Bulbapedia has a list of all the instances of ID numbers for both cases, just not counted by species.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_notable_ID_numbers

Does anyone know where I can find a complete datamine of the Sword and Shield Isle of Armor tutor compatibility list for Pokemon home from back in the day?

All I can find on this forum is the final version of the Pokemon that ended up in the game, and also a list of the compatibility of Pokemon NOT in Sword/Sheild, but only the fully-evolved ones when I want a list of all of them. I know the list originally had stuff that never happened, like the Tapus all getting the Tutor for their respective terrains.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete datamine of the Sword and Shield Isle of Armor tutor compatibility list for Pokemon home from back in the day?

All I can find on this forum is the final version of the Pokemon that ended up in the game, and also a list of the compatibility of Pokemon NOT in Sword/Sheild, but only the fully-evolved ones when I want a list of all of them. I know the list originally had stuff that never happened, like the Tapus all getting the Tutor for their respective terrains.
https://pastebin.com/AfPMizhQ

Does the Snorlax on XY's Route 7 have a higher catch rate than normal? It always feels much much easier to catch than in something like FRLG or HGSS but Bulbapedia doesn't say it's any different to usual

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Does the Snorlax on XY's Route 7 have a higher catch rate than normal? It always feels much much easier to catch than in something like FRLG or HGSS but Bulbapedia doesn't say it's any different to usual
I don't think it's different, here's someone who had difficulty catching it.

However, upon reading the Catch Rate page on Bulbapedia, I think I found why it feels easier to capture.

It's not the Catch Rate that was changed, it was the shake check. While the Poke Ball does 4 shake checks as in previous gens, the formula was tweaked to counteract, from what I understand, an issue with Gen V's shake check formula (apparently there was an error where it would never break after two shakes, if it fails the third check it'll wait until the 3rd shake to break out). While the tweak is small, it does give the player a slight odd advantage with each shake check which over time would make it seem catches are easier.

Besides Blue, Stadium, and all the games that reused the Stadium models, has Golbat's outrageous tongue shown up in literally any other official piece of Pokemon media? It seems weird that they would depict Golbat like this only twice.

QuentinQuonce

Besides Blue, Stadium, and all the games that reused the Stadium models, has Golbat's outrageous tongue shown up in literally any other official piece of Pokemon media? It seems weird that they would depict Golbat like this only twice.
I forget whether its tongue specifically had any special relevance but the Adventures manga made a plot point of Koga's Golbat being smaller than usual and having a weird mouth which he used like a magic mirror. It was a really wacky detail that as far as I know has no basis on Golbat's listed abilities.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hey, i've made a theoretical competitive PLA viability tierlist with some detailed descriptions for placements and was wondering if the in-game tierlists sub would be the right place to post it? I'm not too familiar with smogon, and not sure if it classifies as "casual" play. Would smogoff be a better place to post it at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)