Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

For what game? Sword & Shield?
Yes

For the, uh, "foreign" Pokemon (its how they're labeled internally) in SWSH they still have dex entries even if they don't have an actual dex entry. So they go unused but they still wrote them up. So taking Rowlett, as an example...
Sword: At a distance, it launches its sharp feathers while flying about. If the enemy gets too close, Rowlet switches tactics and delivers vicious kicks.
Shield: During the day, it builds up energy via photosynthesis. At night, it flies silently through the sky, on the prowl for prey.

Completely unviewable. Only reason we know it exists is because of datamines.

Anyway the only new "foreign" pokemon like this in the IoA update is Magearna. Which is why I first was curious to see if they kept writing dex entries for things that would never show a dex entry and am now curious to what the entries actually are

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes

For the, uh, "foreign" Pokemon (its how they're labeled internally) in SWSH they still have dex entries even if they don't have an actual dex entry. So they go unused but they still wrote them up. So taking Rowlett, as an example...
Sword: At a distance, it launches its sharp feathers while flying about. If the enemy gets too close, Rowlet switches tactics and delivers vicious kicks.
Shield: During the day, it builds up energy via photosynthesis. At night, it flies silently through the sky, on the prowl for prey.

Completely unviewable. Only reason we know it exists is because of datamines.

Anyway the only new "foreign" pokemon like this in the IoA update is Magearna. Which is why I first was curious to see if they kept writing dex entries for things that would never show a dex entry and am now curious to what the entries actually are
Looked around and the only thing I could find mention of this is MaahirMomtaz12 saying so on page 110 of the Datamine Thread:
Magearna did get Dex Entries for both of its forms, but it's not part of the Isle of Armour Pokédex

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
What does the ability "As One" actually do? There seems to be no information about it online yet, and I'm too busy to play CT rn so I haven't seen it in-game.

What does the ability "As One" actually do? There seems to be no information about it online yet, and I'm too busy to play CT rn so I haven't seen it in-game.
It's literally both Calyrex's & the horses's abilities at once
Unnerve activates when the Rider is sent out
the Neigh activates when they get a kill
It's also actually two abilities with the same name. The "As One" you have with ice horse is a different "As One" than with ghost horse.

Some abilities have had overworld effects like Hustle: If the Pokémon is in the lead spot, chance of encountering a high level wild Pokémon increases by 50%.

Do these abilities still have an impact in Gen 8? I am guessing it's only for the ! random encounters in grass, and not the overworld mons.

This is more on the "curiosity" end of things, but after talking about Necrozma in the other thread:
What are the flags involved with the Crown Tundra quests?

We know that it, at the very least, can't be a Necrozma from gen 7. Peony recognizes it as the wrong one. But I'm curious about these scenarios:
-you hack a Necrozma to have your OT and such, does it end the UB quest even if you haven't caught Necrozma out of the Max Lair
-you get a Necrozma from a friend that is from their max lair, even if you haven't caught Necrozma
-you catch the necrozma, but release it before talking to Peony. Does the game make any concession to being unable to resolve the story?

Related to that, I'm curious how the main CT story goes. What flags in the story are required, how does it handle releases, how does it handle those pokemon from other games, etc. I know that just having the kanto birds in your dex wont trigger his conversation (source: i had a shiyn articuno out of the raids for the bulk of the story), but I also dont think you even need the birds/regi/calyrex in your party to show them off.

Usually the games just rely on key items, beating trainers or getting to a location so story flags based on capturing & showing Pokemon is interesting to me. Isle of Armor got around needing Kubfu for the towers, so there might be some more failsafes in place.

-you catch the necrozma, but release it before talking to Peony. Does the game make any concession to being unable to resolve the story?
Unlike his other text, Necrozma doesn't require you to have it in its party for the ending cutscene; I had it in my box and it still showed. I strongly suspect that it's as simple as "it checks whether you've done the Necrozma raid, and only has a check for you bringing the wrong Necrozma if you haven't". That would be both the simplest and the most failure-proof way to implement it.

You don't need any legendaries in your party for Peony to recognise them (I didn't bother withdrawing them for any of the quests) so I would assume it's the same for Necrozama.

I know it's been posted elsewhere on this site(I can't find it though), but what is the best way to play Sword and Shield along with both DLC in terms of levels, assuming a new save file. While I beat Shield well before the DLC came out, I want to make the most of it for my Sword save, which had up until now only been created to grab various mystery gifts.

I know it's been posted elsewhere on this site(I can't find it though), but what is the best way to play Sword and Shield along with both DLC in terms of levels, assuming a new save file. While I beat Shield well before the DLC came out, I want to make the most of it for my Sword save, which had up until now only been created to grab various mystery gifts.
The intended way would be more or less:
- Play until first gym
- Visit Isle of Armor, do the quests until you get Kubfoo
- Go back to main story, meanwhile Kubfoo should be getting friendship, also can visit the 4 view spots for faster friendship
- (optional, you can go to the island when you're ~lvl 30 in the main story, that way you can basically feed curry and berries to kubfoo and get him to max happiness very quickly)
- When Kubfoo is max happiness and at least lvl 28ish, go back to the isle, tackle the tower, evolve Kubfoo
- Go back to the main story, finish it
- Go to isle of armor, finish the storyline and get Gmax Urshifu
- Go back to mainland, finish the postgame quest and get your doggo
- Finally head to Crown Tundra and clear that area as well

I've asked about this, but apparently it's not worth it. The Max Lair just takes way too long to go through, and the Suicune you get kinda blows for speedrunning (Pressure announcing itself every fight and a subpar moveset).
I suppose that makes sense. Have to go through 4 battles and RNG can screw you over and all the unskippable cutscenes

Even if you wanted to keep rerolling the RNG on getting a good first pokemon then losing on the second fight it's probably not worth it.

Besides, you have to consider that the speedrun for SwSh is basically powerbuffing one poke with X-Spa and rolling over everything, so there's not exactly much to gain in going this far off the beaten path to... do the same

It's been too long since I've read up on this, but how does home interact with separate switch profiles?

I am kind of tempted to start a new profile & speed the game just to get myself Glastier, Regieleki, a stand alone Kubfu and a spare Zacian to more trade for a Zamazenta.

Because god damn do I hate the GTS in gen 8 so much and dont feel like juggling bank recruits for spare legends to maybe possibly perhaps get all four of the above.

And basically I just want to know if I need to pop a 7 day trial & rope a friend in to trade these around or if I can bum off my main account's Home.

Sadly, though, you do have to be champion to catch the horse.
Really? Not the spot I expected to be gated by the championship.

Really? Not the spot I expected to be gated by the championship.
Yeah, Austin John had a video about getting to CT as fast as possible and seeing how far he could get. Dynamax adventures are wide open, but when you get to the end of the Calyrex quest the game literally tells you to come back when you're as strong as the champion.

Peony also didn't give Austin John a master ball when going to CT early; don't know if he'll hand it over after you beat Leon, so people might want to save the master ball from main quest if they plan on going to CT early but also want to SR to get 0/1 IV on Calyrex & horse after becoming champion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)