OM CCaT (STAB-Mons) (Phase 3: Nominate for Pokemon 6)

I am nominating Quagsire as well. Yeah, I know. While Chansey is good, Quagsire is better. I use both in my team. I must have let that slip my mind.

Phase 1

With our new Thundgsire core we still have 2 big aspects to tackle:

-How are we going to deal with priority? Especially when it comes to Fake out+ Extreme speed revenge killers.

-How are we going to clear the field of Thundurus biggest enemy? Stealth Rock.

To answer this question is much easier than the last, any normal type can certainly do the job with recover+ rapid spin+ normal move but it seems hard to me to believe that a normal type would be very good to our core but I indeed have gone for the normal type approach.

Phase 2

Of all the normal type I saw a few had me intrigued, Regigigas, even if his ability is painful it has amazing bulk and 80 attack is not the end of the world for a wall/supporter and it can run boomburst even if it comes from 80 Sp.Atk, Kangaskhan , has a beautiful ability in scrappy letting me scrappy spin away and fake out+ extreme speed and still having really good bulk, Milktank while a weird choice has stealth rocks if needed and really good speed and scrappy, Meloetta even if its shut down completely by the master of STABmons, Sableye, Boufallant can absorb Spore which is cool now that it doesn’t really need soundproof and even Porygon 2 if Knock off wasn’t so common.

Phase 3

Pokémon @ Leftovers
Ability:Changes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk or Atk
Calm or Careful Nature
- Boomburst/ Extreme speed if Physical
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Whirlwind or other filler move/Luster purge if Meloetta/Fake out if Physical

I decided to cut Boufallant, because grass immunity isn’t that big of a deal and more situational, Milktank is just like Kanga but only better in defence while we want a special wall, I don’t see Meloetta being good in a meta full of Knock off spam same with Porygon, This let’s us between 2 major contenders, Kanga and Regi.

Phase 3

Now it’s really hard to choose but because I know The Reptile wanted to do a Kanga set I decided to do a Regi set, even if I would totally choose Regi either way, the biggest problem I see with this set is that a ghost type can come in and make you completely useless but you have whirlwind if you want to phase them out.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Boomburst
- Recover
- Whirlwind/Heal bell/Other Normal move that can be more useful as team building goes
- Rapid Spin

I do have to agree that extreme speed might be a much better choice because after 5 turn this thing has 160 base ATK, but boomburst just hits hard all around even after the 5 turns and it seems as the teambuilding goes another priority user will come into the team as this is STABmons and you can’t have a STABmons team without priority.

Just so there is some priority, and another sweeper in case Thundurus dies:

Scizor @ Scizorite

Ability: Doesn't matter Technician if there is another potential mega, Light Metal if the only one.

EVs: 252 Speed and Attack, 4 Def
Adamant nature
Moves:

Shift Gear
Gear Grind
Bullet Punch
Pin Missile/Attack Order, probably Pin Missile

It is pretty obvious what this set does. After Shift Gear it is almost impossible to outspeed it, and then Gear Grind or Attack Order/Pin Missile for damage and Bullet Punch in case of priority.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Just so there is some priority, and another sweeper in case Thundurus dies:

Scizor @ Scizorite

Ability: Doesn't matter

EVs: 252 Speed and Attack, 4 Def
Adamant nature
Moves:

Shift Gear
Gear Grind
Bullet Punch
Pin Missile/Attack Order, probably Pin Missile

It is pretty obvious what this set does. After Shift Gear it is almost impossible to outspeed it, and then Gear Grind or Attack Order/Pin Missile for damage and Bullet Punch in case of priority.
The ability most certainly does matter. Technician.

EV

Banned deucer.
The mega's only ability is Technician, and there wouldn't really be a reason to attack before Mega Evolving.
OICCCCCCCCCCCCC. You never know?

E: I guess (from experience) I've seen two potential megas on one team, so you could always hold back Scizor to mega evolve Venusaur instead for example depending on the opponent's team and your needs that battle. Then the ability would matter. :]

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
So I'm going to post that Kanga I was going to post before. Just kidding, I'm posting DOG

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fake Out
- Lovely Kiss

This is a very offensive support set. Fake Out + Extreme Speed is good for revenge killing. Rapid Spin + Scrappy gives him an unblockable spin. Lovely Kiss has a good 75 accuracy and is a neat sleep move for it. Scrappy is cool because it lets you smack Sableye about before it does anything. If we want something else to inflict sleep down the line, Lovely Kiss can be replaced with either Recover (for HP conservation) or Head Charge (for power vs slower shit - the recoil is not a big issue since it'll almost always usually about the same recoil you'd take from Life Orb because 1/4th isn't a lot.). Silk Scarf gives it more survivabiliy and boosts all of its offensive moves. Lum Berry and Lefites are options though, even Life Orb is, but Silk Scarf imo is the best combo of survivability and power. Kanga might be better because it has a huge HP stat and good bulk, and more importantly, it has 90 Speed vs 80 Speed. However, Stoutland is much more powerful, which is enough for me to justify using it over Kanga imo.

EV

Banned deucer.
So I'm going to post that Kanga I was going to post before. Just kidding, I'm posting DOG

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fake Out
- Lovely Kiss

This is a very offensive support set. Fake Out + Extreme Speed is good for revenge killing. Rapid Spin + Scrappy gives him an unblockable spin. Lovely Kiss has a good 75 accuracy and is a neat sleep move for it. Scrappy is cool because it lets you smack Sableye about before it does anything. If we want something else to inflict sleep down the line, Lovely Kiss can be replaced with either Recover (for HP conservation) or Head Charge (for power vs slower shit - the recoil is not a big issue since it'll almost always usually about the same recoil you'd take from Life Orb because 1/4th isn't a lot.). Silk Scarf gives it more survivabiliy and boosts all of its offensive moves. Lum Berry and Lefites are options though, even Life Orb is, but Silk Scarf imo is the best combo of survivability and power. Kanga might be better because it has a huge HP stat and good bulk, and more importantly, it has 90 Speed vs 80 Speed. However, Stoutland is much more powerful, which is enough for me to justify using it over Kanga imo.
I definitely agree especially after Stoutland got a buff to its Attack this gen. Kanga does have the advantage with better coverage in Earthquake, Sucker Punch, and the elemental punches, but since Stoutland isn't interested in setting up, it makes a better revenger with a stronger Scrappy Extreme Speed.

So, looking at the team so far, it has three major weaknesses: Thundy's weakness to stealth rocks, his ability to be killed by status, and Quagsire's 4x grass weakness. Given that Quagsire runs spikes, defog is out of the picture. Forretress is capable of handling all 3 of those issues, asi t is capable of absorbing spores from grass mons with overcoat, walling grass types in general, walling priority from normal types and Kyurem black, and capable of spinning away Stealthrocks, I suggest:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Heal Order
- U-Turn
- Gyro Ball

So, looking at the team so far, it has three major weaknesses: Thundy's weakness to stealth rocks, his ability to be killed by status, and Quagsire's 4x grass weakness. Given that Quagsire runs spikes, defog is out of the picture. Forretress is capable of handling all 3 of those issues, asi t is capable of absorbing spores from grass mons with overcoat, walling grass types in general, walling priority from normal types and Kyurem black, and capable of spinning away Stealthrocks, I suggest:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Heal Order
- U-Turn
- Gyro Ball
This is excellent,I would suggest Powder over Gyro Ball but either way, even if Forretress gets set up on you can just go to Quagsire, the problem is Pokémon with set-up and grass moves like Sawsbuck who can set up on your face but even then takes a lot from a STAB U-turn, in fact Sawsbuck fails to OHKO with Jump Kick at +6! Just some expanded thoughts, this gets my full support.

EV

Banned deucer.
Even though I love DOG, I'm a big fan of Forretress from experience and the thing never dies thanks to Heal Order.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Forretress
ik i didn't participate till now.

here's why (edit): first off, obvious rapid spin support. if you are going to set up entry hazards, better have rapid spin. heal order is great and gives us a great status absorber and a great physical wall for all the espeed spam. then we have u-turn, which is great utility, although volt switch can be used too, since forretress is so slow. we could even start forming a defensive volt-turn core here...momentum stall anybody? nah jk probably wont work in stabmons.
I think everybody ever underrestimates gyro ball in stabmons. with all the extremely fast, strong pokes in this meta, gyro ball is amazing. i can't tell you how many times gyro ball has 2hko'd one of my pokes. it really gives forretress a purpose besides rapid spin, status absorbing and pp stall. ive been threatened routinely by ferrothorn due to gyro ball just kicking ass, even uninvested forre can hit many pokes pretty hard. just be wary of stray fire punches and fire blasts.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)