NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golduck was really popular a couple tier shifts ago when hail/sandstorm was commonplace. He's underrated these days, I think. Encore + CM or Hypnosis + 2 attacks or Encore + 3 attacks both work real well, especially with Drifblim being so common and the fires. water typing is great and the anti weather ability

Lickylicky with SD Explosion and earthquake 1HKOs everything in the game.
...Except the Levitating Ghosts/possibly Skarmory. Which means, in NU terms... Misdreavus or Duskull. Yeah, offensive Lickylicky is a major threat. Of course, that's at the threat of it's own life, so... yeah.

I've heard great things about Defensive Lickylicky though. It was actually fairly well used early on in NU if I recall, before people started compairing it to Munchlax (It was about even, actually), and then other things simply showed up as "Better". I'd use him as a bulkier wish-passer personally.

I think there are way too many pokemon in NU to make the tier really viable, a lot of the pokemon in it should be degraded even further, to a dust tier.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Why should the fact that bad pokes exist in a tier make that tier non-viable. Electivire and Ninjask are OU - that doesn't make that metagame worth playing. If a new tier was created for the likes of Luvdisc, why would that have any impact on what is played in NU?

This is my first time posting on this thread, but I have an NU team (with a LOT of gimmicks, some working, some not). It consists of
Sudowoodo Lead (Same as support set)
Sandslash Spinner (Careful nature instead of Impish)
Swords Dance Shedinja
D-Dance Whiscash
Scarf Flareon (naive Nature, Superpower, Overheat, Return, bite)
Tropius (physical version of tropic roost)(Impish, Whirlwind, leech seed, Leaf Blade, Body Slam)

As you can see, I only have 1 Special move on this entire team. I was wondering what I could replace Flareon with in order to add more special so I can deal with the likes of opposing sandslash and other physical walls.

Alright, I'll give magmortar a try. Its really cliche though...Are there any other viable special attackers in NU that are less used (Magmortar and Espeon are the two that I've tried to avoid, sorry I didn't mention that earlier)

Alright, I'll give magmortar a try. Its really cliche though...Are there any other viable special attackers in NU that are less used (Magmortar and Espeon are the two that I've tried to avoid, sorry I didn't mention that earlier)
]

would you use alakazam in ubers despite mewtwo outclassing it?
NU has about 20 viable pokes. despite all the pokemon in it. that being said there are very few strong special sweepers.
some include sub LO 3 attacks espeon Nastyplot hypnosis ninetails scarf magmortar specs manetric and scarf typlosion.
those are the BEST special sweepers.

]

would you use alakazam in ubers despite mewtwo outclassing it?
NU has about 20 viable pokes. despite all the pokemon in it. that being said there are very few strong special sweepers.
some include sub LO 3 attacks espeon Nastyplot hypnosis ninetails scarf magmortar specs manetric and scarf typlosion.
those are the BEST special sweepers.
Typhlosion/manectric I might give a shot. I'm new to NU, thanks for telling me.

On the note of Victreebel, I noticed a large error. Under Other Options, it says:

Swords Dance is a poor option now, with only Razor Leaf for STAB and Return for "type coverage"

Since Platinum, Victreebel has had Leaf Blade and Sucker Punch, making Swords Dance a usable option. Has this been looked at before and turned down or was it just left unnoticed?

On the note of Victreebel, I noticed a large error. Under Other Options, it says:

Swords Dance is a poor option now, with only Razor Leaf for STAB and Return for "type coverage"

Since Platinum, Victreebel has had Leaf Blade and Sucker Punch, making Swords Dance a usable option. Has this been looked at before and turned down or was it just left unnoticed?

People don't update NU Pokemon analysises on Smogon.

Ah, someone looking at SD Victreebel.

Basically, that thing's only counter is Skuntank. Everything else, even if it KO'ed it, is crippled like anything by a +2 attack. However, SD Victreebel's weaker with all the Fire types running around now than it was back in the Leafeon days.

I think the set was something like this:

Victreebel@Life Orb

[Attack +, Sp.Def - Nature]

252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb

Even with 0 EV's, Sludge Bomb was a clean OHKO on Leafeon, who was the teir's physical wall at that time, and NEVER saw it coming on a SD set. Leaf Blade decimated anything slower than Victreebel, and Sucker Punch killed more or less anything faster. All you had to do was switch in on something like Quagsire, which was popular at the time.

And, about the varaity in NU, NU has FAR more than 20 viable pokemon. It's just that due to the small playerbase, what works for one person, is often copied, improved, and countered.

Just off the top of my head:

Gligar, Sandslash, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Typhlosion, Charizard, Magmortar, Ninetails, Victreebel, Dodrio, Medicham, Primeape, Espeon, Skuntank, Manetric, Meganium, Floatzel, Quilfish, Golduck [Countering Weather is nice], Eggy [I fail with his name...], Nidoqueen, Porygon2, Articuno, Ampheros, Cactrune, Wallrein, Dusclops, Driftblim, Marowak, Gardevoir, Hitmonchan, Jumpluff, Kangashkan, Lapras, Likylicky, Tauros, Zangoose.

I'm sure there's more too.

How effective is Curse Muk in NU? I'm considering making a team around him, but I want to make sure that he's actually useable.

Yeah it does have eq, however while it looks amazing on paper it does have some serious issues with strong special attackers such espeon and magmortar

New stats

HP - 50
Atk - 40
Def - 30
SpAtk - 50
SpDef - 60
Speed - 255
lol at base 255 speed

also, Cherrim's Flower Gift does not double its speed in the sun. It's Cherubi, not Cherrim, that carry Chlorophyll. What were you thinking when you put Cherrim in there?

Pikachu and Espeon should be considered in Offensive Threats.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Muk sounds good on paper, but then you realise that Espeon exists and it has awful coverage.

I've been using SD / Seed Bomb / Sucker Punch / Encore Cacturne and it's really good, but somewhat screwed over by the presence of ExtremeSpeed Entei. Sucker Punch does ridiculous damage even to things that resist it, like Primeape - I used it with Aqua Jet Floatzel to get damage on Primeape etc.

I have used Curse Muk and its legit. 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def. It basically doesn't die. I ran it unSTABed with Shadow Sneak/Fire Punch/Curse/Rest. I could probably have put Poison Jab over Fire Punch, but I didn't like getting walled by Bastiadon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)