NP: UU - Silent Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I ran into while running the first CCAT was 1) Lack of Order of Operations 2) The communities lack of focus. The second is somewhat dependent on the first but there will always be 'random' drop-in posts.

If a CCAT were to happen again then commit a thread to designing the order of operations.
To me the CCAT seems like a great idea and I would love to be involved in helping manage the threads and such. Overhazard brings up two very good points about the CCAT that must be addressed. I will first address his second issue of the lack of focus. Before anyone starts a thread or anything we as a group have to agree that we will contribute to this and see it through till the end. Now to address the first issue in the lack of order. I have begun work of a basic plan. First we have a nomination thread of what pokemon people would want to build the team around. Next we would have a voting session where the winner will be the pokemon to be built around. From there we would need to decide on the set of the pokemon. Then I guess a megathread would be next to discuss the team style that would be best and then from their suggestions on pokemon to add. All the while people would be playtesting to see what works.

EDIT: This is from HeySup's post in the LC CCAT. I find that the same basic steps would apply to ours.
Heysup said:
Process:

Step 1 (Poll is going up around Oct 4th): We are going to start by picking which forgotten Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll (Pokemon that you think fit the description of a "forgotten" Pokemon). After a couple of days (probably around one-two days, until enough pokemon are in the poll (around 10)), I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Note: A "Forgotten Wonder" is something is less used then the average OU Pokemon / set, but is still powerful enough to be used in the standard metagame. So no Caterpies, Magikarp, Beldum, Etc. Thanks.

Note 2: You can suggest forgotten "sets", for example SubCroagunk is an option even though Priority Gunk is quite popular.

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Offense, Bulky Offense (closest form of stall..), Weather, Trick Room, and possibly more.

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Step 4: We finalize the team and write up a 5-star RMT!

Onto another note I would still prefer a more obscure threat or a "forgotten wonder" as they can be seen everyday on the ladder. The CCAT could show just how diverse the meta is. While utilizing some stardards is acceptable as they are standards for a reason.

Can anybody suggest a good Pokemon to counter the Aggron/ Swellow duo I see everywhere these days? I'm using Donphan, but it simply can't switch into the two repeatedly and still do it's primary job of Rapid Spinning SR, which is crucial for my teams MVP. So yeah, a counter that can Rapid Spin, does such a thing exist?

Aggron is a troll this Meta. Its speed, although low by standards, is still enough to outspeed pretty much all of its counters.
How about defensive Rhyperior?

As far a CCAT goes, we need to develop a concept first like others have said. Personally, I would like to see a team built around breaking through a "pivot wall" seen on many teams in UU. Basically, a team that can easily set up on Venusaur, Milotic, and Registeel. One interesting option for this is CM Clefable with a Toxic Orb. It blocks Sleep Powder, sets up on Registeel and Venusaur, and proceeds to kill a lot of the metagame with Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Softboiled.

As far a CCAT goes, we need to develop a concept first like others have said. Personally, I would like to see a team built around breaking through a "pivot wall" seen on many teams in UU. Basically, a team that can easily set up on Venusaur, Milotic, and Registeel. One interesting option for this is CM Clefable with a Toxic Orb. It blocks Sleep Powder, sets up on Registeel and Venusaur, and proceeds to kill a lot of the metagame with Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Softboiled.
Thats why I suggested a nomination thread; that people would propose a set and why it would be good for the CCAT. Then a new thread will be made to vote upon the accepted nominations

Thanks franky. As far as the nominations go though for the CCAT i was not sure how to decide if they would be approved for voting or not.

Yuggles

hey that second guy isn't too bad
Scyther. Our CCAT definetely needs to be about Scyther because very few pokemon are prepared to take it out once it gets a boost. It's not a situational pokemon either but it is rather rare (thank god)
did you read the last few posts?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hopefully, if we choose a concept, it'll be something that hasn't been explored as much. Similarly, if we decide on a Pokemon, it should be a lesser known Pokemon but something that does well against the current standard. I have a few ideas already, but I think this CCAT should also be an "exploring trip" as well as a workshop for building a team.

EDIT: Oh, I want a troll the ladder with a team of Alakazam/Espeon/Kadabra trio, but what's a good Pokemon to lure out and kill Spiritomb with??

Switch Kadabra to Gardevoir with Destiny Bond and you're set.

Anyway, thoughts about the Scarf Omastar i posted earlier?

For the CCAT I'll be pushing for the truly underated SD Quick Feet Ursaring. Great Speed and enough power to one hit most of the tier the tier makes ursaing such a threat. If played properly it either cripples the opponent or sweeps in itself.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
what is this the uu discussion thread or the discuss the ccat thread?

-_- but anyways i really like calm 252/252 restalk weezing. a great pivot wall for a lot of teams and aids in taking on venusaur / fighters / other stuff. it's one inherent weakness is fire types since they are immune to wow (ff arcanine and houndoom say hi as well), so pairing it up with a milotic is a pretty sexy defensive stronghold for any team.

My problem with weezing is that it just seems to sit there from personal experience and can't do much back. However if you don't have a way of killing it off (hint specail attacker) prepare to rage quit

EDIT: Oh, I want a troll the ladder with a team of Alakazam/Espeon/Kadabra trio, but what's a good Pokemon to lure out and kill Spiritomb with??
You don't need 3 Pokemon. Just run Alakazam and Destiny Bond Missy and you're set. Once Missy takes out Tomb there isn't really much that's gonna stop Zam from sweeping. I've been doing this for 2 rounds and it's so easy to get wins it's sad.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You don't need 3 Pokemon. Just run Alakazam and Destiny Bond Missy and you're set. Once Missy takes out Tomb there isn't really much that's gonna stop Zam from sweeping. I've been doing this for 2 rounds and it's so easy to get wins it's sad.
The only thing I hate about Zam is that he gets completely cock-blocked by Chansey too, which most people have been saving for late-game more and more these days to stop said Zam sweeps if their Tomb or whatever else is dead. A Tomb and Chansey combo is a pretty strong one-two punch core, I can't believe their aren't more of them.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What you should be hating about Alakazam is how his paper defense means that he can be insta-killed by priority after SR damage, not to mention he really has to play around Sucker Punch (being that almost everything in UU learns it).

Alakazam doesn't get 'completely cock-blocked by Chansey'. Chansey is taking 38.1% - 44.9% from a timid LO Focus Blast and 41.8% - 49.3% from a modest one so it can potentially be 2hko'd with a little bit of previous damage if it switches into Focus Blast. I wouldn't rely on Chansey to take on Alakazam if I were you.

The problem with Poopy Blast is that you have a 51% chance of missing at least one of those turns. There's also the issue of running Modest Zam - I personally go for Timid, to outspeed RP Rhyperior, Ludicolo in the rain, tie with Sceptile, tie/beat other Zams, and beat Espeon - a fairly short list, admittedly, but enough to sway me (though I also use Rock Slide over Stone Edge with no exceptions, so whatever). In the case of Chansey, keeping Zam in is a very risky prospect - do you want to gamble another hit and a good roll to take it out? If you don't it'll stall Poopy Blast out of PP or Paralyze you, or even KO with Seismic Toss.

Alakazam is looking much less attractive now than it was because I've seen a ridiculous amount of priority recently, even more than usual. Take out Venusaur, there's Arcanine. Or Azumarill. Or Spiritomb. Or Houndoom. Or Technitop. Or even Donphan. And it seems like the whole tier can learn Sucker Punch, and you never know when it's going to strike next. Sub Zam can get around that to an extent, but Encore reduces it to 2 attacking moves and it's not easy keeping a 60-hp sub with 130 defense backing it alive.

Also I'm really tired. Please replace incoherent sections with passages from Stephen A. Douglas, cause dang that guy could talk.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's also the issue of running Modest Zam - I personally go for Timid, to outspeed RP Rhyperior, Ludicolo in the rain, tie with Sceptile, tie/beat other Zams, and beat Espeon
RP Rhyperior, rain Ludicolo both outspeed Alakazam (Ludicolo outspeeds by a ton actually).

Has anyone ever used/ considered using Rain Dance or Sunny Day as a set up move used to help just one Pokemon sweep? Kinda like Swords Dance, or Dragon Dance? Obviously it only benefits those with Chlorophyll or Swift Swim, like Kabutops.

The idea would be to bring him in on a flyer (Swellow perhaps?) to force a switch, RD on the switch, and sweep. Obviously Waterfall would be a given, gaining essentially a Choice Band boost, but whatever other moves you use would be up to what you need to cover.

Also, there wouldn't really be an issue with the duration of the RD, since sweeps rarely last more than five turns

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Man I feel like this thread is always in a loophole...

Yes, that has been discussed, people talked about Sunnybeam Moltres and sole rain sweepers opening holes in the opponent's team and bluffing a weather team, which makes a nasty surprise once people sacrifice their most important mons under the assumption they won't be useful at all for that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)