Metagame NP: RU Stage 5: Gods and Monsters (HOUNDOOMINITE IS BL2, READ POST #178)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevenant is even more long overdue, if you're going by viability at least (B vs D rank)
If they do drop, how will they impact the meta?
Noivern would be quite good I guess, high speed and decent special attack plus the ability to hit through substitutes isn't shabby at all. Frisk doesn't seem a bad ability on paper, could be used to scout for scarfers and stuff.
Trevenant.... Might be a fine wall and an all-around nuisance with Harvest shenanigans, hard to tell. I feel like this thing came a generation late(would have been great in BW, like Jellicent was).
Kingdra is either going to be the most dominant force in this tier or outright broken. The ability of running a lot of sets ranging from Dragon Dance to Choice Specs, not to mention rain-abusing and Crit-Dra would make this thing a powerful and unpredictable threat.
Just my two cents...

Trev suks, it can't beat anything relevant except Virizion, Rhyperior, Mola and Slowking and gets pwned by almost every threatening mon in the tier. From S to A- it is beaten by SubCm Cress, Moltres, Sharpedo, Dragalge, Meloetta(Sub Cm or Shadow Ball), Pidgeot, Pangoro, Abomasnow, Camerupt, Fletchinder, Glalie, Drapion, Houndoom, Reuniclus and Spiritomb, not to mention all the other lower ranked stuff that pwns it. On top of this it suffers from competition with Gourgeist-S and -XL, both of which are either better walls, Trick Room setters or Subseeders for various reasons.

So, I remember Mega Sharpedo being discussed as soon as its stats were released and most wanted a suspect already. I mean isn't it obvious that a CB boost to Crunch alongside a higher attack and bulk makes it obviously much better?

along with noivern and trevanent RU is probably gonna get Scrafty as well since nobody uses it in UU.
how do you think it will impact the meta?

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Trev suks, it can't beat anything relevant except Virizion, Rhyperior, Mola and Slowking and gets pwned by almost every threatening mon in the tier. From S to A- it is beaten by SubCm Cress, Moltres, Sharpedo, Dragalge, Meloetta(Sub Cm or Shadow Ball), Pidgeot, Pangoro, Abomasnow, Camerupt, Fletchinder, Glalie, Drapion, Houndoom, Reuniclus and Spiritomb, not to mention all the other lower ranked stuff that pwns it. On top of this it suffers from competition with Gourgeist-S and -XL, both of which are either better walls, Trick Room setters or Subseeders for various reasons.
Cresselia will not like taking a Choice Banded Shadow Claw or even a +2 Horn leech from the SubStarf set, which Bouffalant can attest to it's mad power. Heck, just about 0 of those pokemon will like taking Choice banded anything from trevenant bar pidgeot. Trevenant is a better offensive poke, you're looking at it from the wrong angle. That's like saying a very fast, powerful sports car sucks because it can't go fast underwater, you're judging it on something that's suboptimal or shouldn't be done

#treehype
#twentyfifTREEn

Cresselia will not like taking a Choice Banded Shadow Claw or even a +2 Horn leech from the SubStarf set, which Bouffalant can attest to it's mad power. Heck, just about 0 of those pokemon will like taking Choice banded anything from trevenant bar pidgeot. Trevenant is a better offensive poke, you're looking at it from the wrong angle. That's like saying a very fast, powerful sports car sucks because it can't go fast underwater, you're judging it on something that's suboptimal or shouldn't be done

#treehype
#twentyfifTREEn
I admit I was influenced by all the ppl that used Sub Sitrus "annoyer" in early OU and didn't thought about CB Trev at all, which actually looks a quite cool wallbreaker now that I look at it closely(even has Trick for Trick Band shenanigans). Natural Cure is also clutch for taking scalds. Now I'm curious to see if it holds up the expectations as a wallbreaker in the actual meta :v .

Welp, we lost Sharpedo and Gallade in the tier shift. Sharpedo went to UU and Gallade went to OU.

We gained Mawile and Quagsire.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ok sriously Quagsire is looking so neat tbh. stuff that can't touch it: calm mind reuniclus, calm mind anything, cobalion (all sets), doublade, SLURPUFF, dd tyrantrum (adamant outrage hurts but isnt enough to 2HKO, LO easily 2HKOs though), drapion, even fletchinder. On top of that, it doesn't give free switches to dragalge.

curious to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
mhm, all things considered, i really do appreciate these tier shifts, as minute as they may be; dropping sharpedo and gaining quag marks a significant rise in the viability of more defensive builds, which really helps balance the tier out overall. it should also be noted that quagsire also responds adequately to sd pangoro, another singificantly threatening pokemon to defensive builds. mind you, i'm sure this pokemon will almost definitely be seen haphazardly slapped on almost any team, as was the case last gen, but unlike them, it will actually have a refined niche here (or at least, i would assume as much, given the current meta state). i feel that for the time being, a curse set (utilizing a set of curse / recover / eq / [scald / toxic]), would be the most efficient for it, allowing it to actively combat more resilient boosters like cm reuniclus, but counter-sweep more offense-heavy builds as well. noted, it is rather status susceptible for a conservative booster, but its application is more so a niche move for addressing these match-ups, meaning that it plays as a bulky water first, and a booster second anywho. should be neat to see how things pan out, though.

mhm, all things considered, i really do appreciate these tier shifts, as minute as they may be; dropping sharpedo and gaining quag marks a significant rise in the viability of more defensive builds, which really helps balance the tier out overall. it should also be noted that quagsire also responds adequately to sd pangoro, another singificantly threatening pokemon to defensive builds. mind you, i'm sure this pokemon will almost definitely be seen haphazardly slapped on almost any team, as was the case last gen, but unlike them, it will actually have a refined niche here (or at least, i would assume as much, given the current meta state). i feel that for the time being, a curse set (utilizing a set of curse / recover / eq / [scald / toxic]), would be the most efficient for it, allowing it to actively combat more resilient boosters like cm reuniclus, but counter-sweep more offense-heavy builds as well. noted, it is rather status susceptible for a conservative booster, but its application is more so a niche move for addressing these match-ups, meaning that it plays as a bulky water first, and a booster second anywho. should be neat to see how things pan out, though.
While I do agree with the majority of what you said, I'd like to point out that SD Pangoro can adapt to Quagsire by opting for Mold Breaker to ignore Unaware, all the while ignoring Solid Rock Rhyperior and random Sturdy users.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would also like to point out that while Quagsire doesn't give a free switch-in for Dragalge, Quagsire itself can't come in on Dragalge either due to Unaware actually backfiring and ignoring SpA drops from Draco Meteor. (rip SpDef Quag) That being said though, Quagsire is looking like a pretty neat physical wall for the tier that doesn't auto-lose to CM users. The Curse set might also have some use since it can setup alongside virtually anything else in the tier and not give 2 fucks about what the other boosting sweeper does. Here's the two sets I can see becoming most popular on Quagsire:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Generic physically defensive set with Quagsire aimed at stopping all physical sweepers that lack Grass-type moves. Toxic and EQ combine to keep most special attackers from coming in for free. Scald deters physical attackers even more and is nice to catch a Bronzong switching in with should it burn. Recover is obvious for reliable recovery to keep Quagsire from getting worn down too easily throughout the match.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rest / Recover
- Sleep Talk / Waterfall

I'm not so sure on the Curse set, but this is probably what it will look like if it gets to be popular. The choice between RestTalk and Recover for your method of recovery comes down to whether you fear status more or Flying-types more. RestTalk allows Quagsire to setup on Pokemon too reliant on status ailments to stop it while Recover opens up a moveslot to use Waterfall in, allowing Quagsire to dump on Gligar, Moltres, and others. Note that Ice Punch is also usable over Waterfall due to its solid coverage with Earthquake.

Mawile might seem kind of "meh" on the front, but something that's immune to both of Dragalge's STABs should at least be given a shot imo.[/HIDE]

Yes, Mawile is immune to Dragalge's STABs.

However:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mawile: 280-330 (92.4 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mawile: 282-332 (93 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

It is cleanly 2HKO'd by Dragalge's coverage moves.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- Grass Knot / Rock Slide

I think Mawile has a lot of potential as a powerful wallbreaker that can hit everything in the metagame for supereffective damage. Iron Head and Play Rough are both quite powerful and nothing resists it with Dark-type coverage. Anyways, the first two slots are non-negotiable, but the final two are adjustable to your team needs. Sucker Punch mitigates Mawile's low Speed and is quite powerful, but Knock Off just smacks things. Grass Knot is a personal favorite coverage because it hits Quagsire extremely hard. Play Rough 2HKOes Specially Defensive Quagsire regardless, but I think Physically Defensive will be more popular and 2HKOes that easily with Grass Knot, which Play Rough fails to do. Rock Slide is another useful move because it smacks Moltres on the switch and all-around coverage. Some other options are Fire Punch for Ferroseed, Substitute for shielding from status, or Toxic to spread on defensive teams to wear down and sweep late game. Also, the EVs are adjustable, but I like speedcreeping n,n!

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
The worst part about Hitmonchan not dropping is that it would have been below the cutoff but the only thing that changed is that the god himself BLAMETRUTH started making RU videos again and using it in them, which is really disgusting.
Just tell him exactly how much Hitmonchan is a piece of shit in RU

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
| 45 | Hitmonchan | 5.175% |

| 49 | Reuniclus | 4.933% |
| 50 | Houndoom | 4.818% |

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)