Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok i'm not Really sure if this is a good/retarded idea, but i'm thinking that a Milotic with "Competitive" in combination "Flame orb" could be a pretty cool idea for a set.
However the residual damage you get is of Course not Really helping, but if you desire to use recover on this set then that can make up for it.
But if you wanna give it a more offensive approach perhaps a Wish/Passer would be useful.

Anyways i wanted to get it out there! Please leave me your honest opinions! =D
Competitive Milotic needs the power from LO to do what it is supposed to do (nuke things with its decent sp.A stat and high bp STAB and coverage moves) and to get a few Kills like Hitmonlee:
From an almost guaranteed ohko after SR and a round of Lo recoil
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hitmonlee: 199-234 (82.2 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You go to this:
252+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hitmonlee: 153-180 (63.2 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I was thinking that in theory, Wigglytuff might make a good partner to Psychic-types, maybe Reuniclus, because it's immune to ghost and resists dark and bug. Its movepool is also unbelievable, for both offensive (Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball) and support (Wish, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Light Screen, Reflect, Perish Song, Thunder Wave, etc.) roles.

Edit: I know it's still probably bad but I want to believe.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Am I the only person who thinks Mega Banette will be pretty good in this tier. It seems quite interesting since it has the highest attack out of all Pokemon in the tier, access to prankster and shadow sneak, it gets knock off, I could honestly see it being a good support and a pretty nice offensive polemon, it does has its flaws but I think it will find a place in RU

I'm very interested in the tier. Here are some Theorymons of a few Pokemon.

Doublade: I think this might have some potential, but I don't really see it working very well in RU. Its weak to a lot of common moves, is very slow, and has shitty Speed and special defense (which is a shame because Doublade has a really good defensive typing vs specially offensive threats). Its weakness to Knock off is a huge detriment because it can't wall certain threats that you would expect it too (Gallade, Hitmonlee, etc.). I feel that in terms of viability, Doublade will be low RU.

Escavalier: This seems way more threatening in the tier then it was last gen. It walls a lot of what I assume will be top tier threats including Kyurem, Shaymin, and reuniclus provided they don't carry HP Fire, and actually has a decent movepool, with Megahorn and Iron Head for STAB and Knock Off and Drill Run for coverage. I assume it will be very threatening early in the tier's lifespan.

Hitmonlee: Hitmonlee seems to have some potential in the metagame. There are less priority users in the metagame and it now has access to Knock Off, meaning that its SubLiechi set is more threatening as a sweeper. Meanwhile, Life Orb variations have a much easier time breaking through walls with Knock Off.

Uxie: I think this has gone from superb in BW RU to just "meh" in XY RU. It can't wall that many threats anymore due to the knock off buff + power creep, and it still lacks offensive presence. It might be an ok support mon, but I'm just not seeing it being as big of a threat anymore.

Raikou: This mon seems really threatening in the tier. Its pretty fast and powerful and sports good coverage. LO CM / SUB CM are probably going to be its main sets, but I can see all out attacker being really threatening as well. It has a huge problem with Kyurem, however, although Raikou can attempt to lure and KO it with Aura Sphere.

I'll try adding more later.

There is still kabutops and Cryogonal for spinning duties ( and Claydol but nobody likes Claydol )
Maybe Armaldo will see some love LOL

But in all seriousness, this should be a great tier. It is practically made for Trick Room with several good TR setters plus Escavalier and Rhyperior as extremely hard-hitting physical attackers and Mega Abomasnow as a special/mixed attacker.

Few things I have to say:

Reuniclus, Kyurem, Shaymin and Sableye honestly need to get out (Esca too but that's unlikely to go anytime soon). Not because they make certain mons less viable (And trust me, 2 of those do), but because I feel that they are honestly a bit to broken. And about Kyurem, I know Stealth Rockers and Steel-types (As well as AV Thick Fat Hariyama) can beat it. Don't remind me about that.

And some fallen stars from last gen (At least in my opinion):

Lilligant: Shaymin's existence in the tier ruins it, HP nerf hurts it. It can beat Sableye to an extent (It was one of the better checks to SwagPlay when that was a thing (Slowbro and Slowking had better things to do anyway)), but it has minor 4mss (Aromatheraphy, Sleep Powder or Substitute?; HP Rock or HP Fire?) Aside from that, it's pretty much a worse version of the mon from last gen.

Rhydon: Rhyperior's existence in the tier. A bit bulkier (With Eviolite equipped), but then again it's very much like Pory2 vs Pory-Z. Rhydon also hates the Knock Off buff, as a lot of mons in the tier can carry that move (And some users like Mixed Shiftry, Mixed Tangrowth and several others can beat it).

Mespirit: Azelf's existence in the tier. Azelf can pretty much do what it does a lot better. (Uxie also "fell" because of this; but Mespirit has it worse)

Spiritomb: Sableye's existence, essentially. Aside from Pressure stalling or Infiltrator hax, Sableye is generally better in most aspects. (And the two play very much alike except Spiritomb has usable attack (Usable but not great); Maybe this hasn't "fell", but then again, theorymonning here)

(And also shitmons like Dusknoir, Sandslash, E-Vire and the like, but who cares about those anyway?)

I'm not saying that these mons will end up becoming NU, but they have at least the potential to, due to the (potentially) current meta. (Then again discussing RU to NU drops isn't really the main point of this thread)

(And also Sceptile "fell" but that's never going NU; Speaking of which, maybe Power Herb SolarBeam to abuse Unburden now that AcroGem is no more?) Actually, Sceptile seems relitavely unchanged in the meta, but Physical sets will be less common, definitely. Power Herb Solar Beam still sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Trick room + Mega-snowman = destruction of walls. There is like 3 viable walls in the tier that can take on this guy (bronzong, Cresselia and possible doublade).

It is also going to be fun using Accelgor again.

RU was my favorite tier in Gen 5. Here's to a great Gen 6 RU. I have a feeling that Kyurem will be sent up to BL2 at some point. It's good in UU (not that that is a good reason to ban it from RU) but no one uses it. It's going to be amazing in RU. Raikou should be great and could function similarly to Manectric as well as run its terrifying Sub+CM set from BW or even an AV set. I'm interested in seeing how some Gen 5 RU veterans will function in the new meta. Druddigon, aka the king of BW RU, is really hurt by the addition of fairy types and Kyurem. It obviously won't be nearly as good this gen but I think it can carve a niche for itself in the meta, especially if Kyurem is banned. The same goes for the numerous Fighting types from BW RU. But then again, there aren't many fairy types at all. Speaking of Fairies, I can see Floette and Wigglytuff being decent if people give them a chance. I really hope Wigglytuff shines this gen, if not in RU then in NU. She deserves it after 5 gens of being completely outclassed by Clefable.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm really excited to play XY RU once it comes out, I loved BW RU, I hope this gen's RU will be fun once the tier stabilizes.

I see Druddigon, Sceptile, Slowking, and Moltres still being as effective as ever. As an above poster said, Mesprit and Rhydon are probably fallen stars (if not possibly having lost all viability from last gen), since new Pokemon have come in to literally erase them from usage. That said, some of the new XY Pokemon I'm interested most in include Delphox, which I'm interested in using a Specs set, since Delphox has nice coverage, power, and speed and I can see it being capable. SubCM and an All Out attacker set also seem interesting, and I see the fox having some potential. Barbaracle also seems really fun because Shell Smash and a nice physical movepool make it seem like an epic physical sweeper to me. I might also try Dragalge and Clawitzer since I like both of those mons, they seem cool as a tank/wallbreaker respectively, and the fact that both are really slow makes them strong choices for TR (speaking of which, I think this will be really strong in XY RU because of all the slow mons and the TR setters). Heliolisk also seems fun, taking over for what Manectric did last gen. Some other drops seem fun, will get to those later.

Just a few thoughts on this.

With the number of good hazard setterrs, i am gonna try deo-sharp v 2.0.
Froslass seems to be the best spiker imo. It can spinblock and most of the good spinners are locked in UU already. It can taunt defoggers and defeat most defoggers with STAB ice beam and moltres can be taken down with destiny bond.

Next is Milotic. Believe me, with a competitive boost and life orb, it hits extremely hard with STAB hydro pump. With coverage options in ice beam, dragon pulse and hidden power, it can be a pain at 2. It can use recover, to take advantage of its above average bulk. Add a stealth rocker to the mix and you have got a recipe for destruction. I am thinking of using azelf with 3 attacks and stealth rocks. Opinions???

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to confirm, abilities like Drizzle and Drought are banned here too? Should we at least test them?

Edit: yeah rain would probs be pretty broken with Tornadus, Raikou, Ludicolo and more; how about Drought, however? I don't see it being too broken.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just to confirm, abilities like Drizzle and Drought are banned here too? Should we at least test them?

Edit: yeah rain would probs be pretty broken with Tornadus, Raikou, Ludicolo and more; how about Drought, however? I don't see it being too broken.
Drought and Drizzle are banned in UU and by default are banned in RU. We are not allowed to test them (just like since Wob and Goth were seeing RU usage, we can't use them cause they are BL).

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
The thing I think I'm most excited about is TR.
Obviously, I've made a somewhat acceptable TR team that has worked "ok" in OU. (not really it sucks)
But with mega abomasnow and reuniclus both being in TR, and both being staples of the playstyle, I'm seriously excited to give it a go, and see where I get. As for TR setters, I'm looking at maybe Gourgeist-XL and Porygon-2 oh crap, err Aromatisse? Can't be taunted, resists dark... hope it does decently...
Some powerhouses like Escavalier and even our boy druddigon (lolololol) are available and can definitely be frightening in TR.

But really, I think Mega Abomasnow is gonna get a real chance to shine in this tier. In fact, we might see a re-emergence of hail, with the new abomasnow getting an almighty mega, and staples of Hail being present in the tier right now, like Kyurem and Walrein.
The big flaw with this is that, to keep hail up to keep blizzards accurate, we might even have to...
stoop to...
Manual hail setters.
NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY THAT DEAR GOD.
MANUAL HAIL

Some other big threats I can see rampaging the tier:
Barbaracle
Holy shit this thing gets up and ur done. It's so powerful, and it actually has the bulk to live hits with white herb to actually get the boost off!
The only real problem (well two) is that it doesn't have priority and it doesn't have accurate options. It's really annoying sometimes when you can sweep an entire team, but it depends on you hitting stone edge 4 times in a row. Trust me, I've lost games where I would've swept if I just hit ONE stone edge.

Delphox.
Oh oh oh boooyy. I have a really stupid and messed up set that shouldn't work for this guy.

Delphox @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 Def
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Mystical Fire
- Will-O-Wisp

This set will definitely need some adjusting, especially the speed, cuz I dunno what I want to outpace yet.
But this set is pretty retarded. You get behind a sub to avoid status, burn physical threats, and with a combination of mystical fire and calm mind slowly stall out the special hitters. Get rid of fire immunities (much easier now that no chandelure everywhere) and just set up all over defensive teams. This set really, really, really shouldn't work, but it just somehow does.
Blaze>Magician b/c you like leftovers and with no reliable recovery and reliance on sub, you'll find yourself at a low hp often early on, so the power boost is quite beneficial to help you get going.

Azelf

This guy has so many effective sets he can run, and has a movepool ridiculously vast. You can tailor it to the things you want to hit, go mixed, or just set rocks and explode. I can foresee azelf being THE staple lead on HO teams, and I'm honestly surprised it wasn't even mentioned in the initial list of potential threats. This guy boasts amazing offensive stats of 125/125/115, enough to make pokemon like infernape cry to mommy.
As a mixed attacker, a revenge killer, a dedicated lead, god this thing has so much it can do! He's gonna be a staple for sure.

Cincinno

Eww this thing

Cresselia

Why is thing allowed lol this thing never dies. It got a much better "mono-attack" in moonblast, to help out your sub cm sets and your "cro-cress" sets. CAn set double screens, help out manual weather, this guy has a lot of things it can do. He's gonna be a must-have for defensive teams looking for solid checks to pokemon like Sawk, Toxicroak, and Emboar. If there's any mixed wall/support thing that just doesn't die in this tier, this guy girl is it.

Sigilyph

If people use cosmic power I'm gonna start crying. He makes for a great LO attacker, with no life orb recoil and roost too. He hits pretty hard, has a good speed tier, and a movepool with all the things he really needs. A great pokemon I expect to see succeed in the new tier as well.

Tyrantrum

I expect this one to be a standard "cleaner" type of pokemon on offensive teams. This guy has a solid speed tier of 71 and an excellent boosting move to work with, namely dragon dance. He has all the elemental fangs, crunch, and dragon claw, giving you room to tailor your little T-rex to what it needs to beat. Just have something to take any priority hit, because he's weak so much. He has a pretty bad defensive typing, but his offensive typing are both two of the best offensive types in the game, and that makes him pretty fantastic.

Carracosta

This guy, with sturdy, can do a bunch of scary shit, like weakness policy and shell smash. Even both (shudder). Not to mention he has some sound defense, reliable priority, consistent STAB(s) (screw stone edge) with waterfall, and the game's best boosting move with nearly the best ability that ever go along with it. He's gonna be something you want hazards up for, because a Carracosta at +4 attack +4 sp. att and +2 speed, with reliable priority, is nothing to scoff at, even if its at 1 hp.

Sharpedo

Why is thing allowed in RU holy crap. Broken ability, great STABs, reliable moves for both STABs, great movepool and even the ability to go special, along with the new destiny bond and aqua jet. He still dies to every (priority) move ever, but he's supposed to be a cleaner anyway, and he does a great job of that. It's easy to mess up grasses with all the ice types available to you (COUGH COUGH KYUREM COUGH COUGH) and Life Orb Adamant Sharpedo hits pretty damn hard. It won't be taking out things from full health, but he cleans like a monster. He has priority to outspeed other priority not named espeed, and has destiny bond to remove big threats to your team. Destiny Bond really did this guy good, giving him an actual use any part of the game outside of late-game. He can weaken some grasses (like ferroseed) enough for partners (like carracosta) to just blast through them. It's even adept at removing unsuspecting scarfers, which would kill it after it used destiny bond after it got a free speed boost from protect, further paving the way for possible sweeps. Dbond did this guy some good stuff, and I expect to see very high in usage. \

Tornadus

Loss of flying gem reallly hurts this guy, but if you want to roll with manual rain, there's no way you can ignore this guy. Prankster Rain Dance, strong Hurricane, and options to coverage moves like Focus Blast and support moves like U-turn and Knock Off make Tornadus a great Offensive support mon for rain dance teams, with abusers to take advantage of his ability to dent grasses. He even has priority Tailwind if you feel like messing around with that, though 2 turns to abuse really isn't worth a moveslot imo. Regardless, for manual rain this guy is the one.

Kabutops

Speaking of manual rain, Kabutops is gonna be a prime abuser, if the idea of manual rain strikes your fancy. Offensive spinning was his job last gen, and I think nobody really comes close to him in this role in the tier right now. Great STABs, great priority, Swords Dance, fantastic 125 base attack and situational but amazing ability is makes it a huge threat. He's definitely not going anywhere.

Yeah that's all I can think of for now.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Amoonguss, he looks like a solid raikou counter.

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 102-120 (23.6 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery
In the worse scenario:
252 SpA Raikou Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 134-158 (31 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
While in return amooguss can:
252 SpA Raikou Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 134-158 (31 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Amoonguss isn't the best Raikou counter, but I think a viable way to stop this OP Guy big threat.

So is the tier going to follow the UU example of quick banning all the potential brokemons and then retesting them in or will it use the OU everything legal until banned by vote or council suspect test (honestly I prefer the former)

This has probably been asked plenty of times already, but when is RU Beta going to be implemented on Showdown? I've made three teams that are aching to attack the meta.

Anywho, just to keep conversation going.
Assault Vest Clawitzer is something that I'm pretty excited to be able to use more fully. I've had a couple of games with it on wifi where it does things in UU, but Florges was always there being Florges. So using it in an RU meta will be pretty sweet.

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Scald (If I did my math correctly it does the same damage as a Mega Launcher Water Pulse)

As for Dragalge, I'll probably try out a defensive set with Toxic Spikes and Dragon Tail shenanigans since I really like how it matches up with Gourgeist type-wise. Then I'll probably try out Assault Vest Dragalge whenever it gets Adaptability. Just imagining a Draco Meteor coming from it just gets my goody bits going.

YAAAY RU IS BACK <3
I loved it last gen, and it's gonna be even more awesome this gen.

How viable do you guys think Mismagius will be? I had wanted to see it dropping last gen, because it definitely wasn't keeping up with UU anymore.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This has probably been asked plenty of times already, but when is RU Beta going to be implemented on Showdown? I've made three teams that are aching to attack the meta.

Anywho, just to keep conversation going.
Assault Vest Clawitzer is something that I'm pretty excited to be able to use more fully. I've had a couple of games with it on wifi where it does things in UU, but Florges was always there being Florges. So using it in an RU meta will be pretty sweet.

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Scald (If I did my math correctly it does the same damage as a Mega Launcher Water Pulse)

As for Dragalge, I'll probably try out a defensive set with Toxic Spikes and Dragon Tail shenanigans since I really like how it matches up with Gourgeist type-wise. Then I'll probably try out Assault Vest Dragalge whenever it gets Adaptability. Just imagining a Draco Meteor coming from it just gets my goody bits going.
Water Pulse has a BP of 90, while Scald is 80. So no, they aren't the same damage :) Otherwise, cool set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)