Not Gonna Write You a Love Song(An OU Team Featuring Meloetta)

A Quick View of The Team

Hello everyone. This is CedOmega coming to you all with an all new gimmicky team that utilizes the OU use of the very much underestimated UU Meloetta. Meloetta, like most UU Pokemon, is often overlooked as being a "useless Pokemon". Contrary to this opinion is the fact that Meloetta is the perfect counter to most Psychic & Ghost-types, like Gengar & Alakazam which, while moderately abundant, are often duped by its Calm Mind set and left with no other resort than to try and stall. I decided that since Meloetta is very under minded and more so unexpected in OU, it's be the perfect suspect to build a team around. That said, I welcome you to "Not Gonna Write You a Love Song".

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Timid nature
4 Defense/ 252 Sp.Attack/ 252 Speed
Psychic, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power (Fire) & Calm Mind
IVs: 31/02/31/30/31/30

As said previously, Meloetta is the focus of the team. Meloetta's typing is unique in the sense that it is shared only by the NU Pokemon Girafarig and thus grants it immunity to common Ghost & impunity to Fighting-type attacks, meaning previously mentioned Gengar and Alakazam struggle to handle it effectively. Coupled with Serene Grace, Meloetta's Psychic and Thunderbolt become threatening attacks with their chance to lower the foe's Sp.Defense or cause paralysis. Often are teams crippled by paralysis when facing Meloetta's Thunderbolt, and then set up upon or straightforward attacked. For coverage, Hidden Power (Fire) was added. With Scizor and Ferrothorn being such potent threats, I needed a solution that didn't involve being obvious. Considering most Scizor utilize a Choice Band set and carry Pursuit, it was ultimately the best choice. Calm Mind is more of a buffer, boosting the damage is can inflict with each attack and buffing its special defenses so that it may stand ground against threats like Volcarona and Hydreigon. I've always been a HUGE fan of Psychic-type Pokemon, so using Meloetta is always fun regardless of the results of the battle!

Keldeo-R @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Timid nature
252 Sp.Attack/ 4 Sp.Defense/ 252 Speed
Hydro Pump, Secret Sword, Hidden Power (Electric) & Icy Wind
IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/31

Keldeo-R is somewhat the glue of the team. I decided that Keldeo-R was the ideal Pokemon to use since the abundance of Rain teams on PS showed themselves to be a bit challenging regardless of Meloetta's ability to tank their attacks after simply 2 Calm Mind. Hydro Pump, even without Rain, OHKOs Volcarona variants after rocks, and dents even bulky Politoed variants pretty nicely. Hidden Power (Electric) was added after both Jellicent and Gyarados proved to be worthy threats to the team. Secret Sword is for specially defensive Pokemon who can't exactly take a STAB Fighting move well...Blissey? Icy Wind was added after the lack of Hidden Power (Ice) showed to be hindering the team. Since the secondary effect of Ice Wind is lowering the foe's Speed, it comes in handy when Latias and Latios variants try and switch in on a mispredicted Hydro Pump, Secret Sword, or Hidden Power (Electric).

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant nature
248 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 8 Speed
Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower & Pursuit

So with the imminent Lati-Twin threat to the team and Keldeo-R's limitation to handling them, I decided to add their most potent threat, Scizor. Like other CB Scizor variants, this set does a lot of switching, meaning hazards are an overall annoyance. Hazards altogether are an annoyance. This set needs little explanation to those who've encountered or have had some sort of experience with is. Being this most overused Pokemon ever, I find it hard to believe when someone says they've not encountered one in OU. Haha.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant nature
248 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 8 Sp.Defense
Earthquake, Ice Shard, Rapid Spin & Stealth Rock

Donphan's role amoungst the rest of the tem is very simple: Come in, Spin, Hit hard/Set up rocks, Run. The most annoying thing I've found for Donphan is Breloom outpacing and Spore'ing it, however, I do get in decent damage with priority Ice Shard and an Adamant nature. Its massive Attack and ability to revenge certain Dragon-types like Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite. Donphan has one of the most important Pokemon on the team with its ability to remove opposing hazards, resistance to opposing Stealth Rock and capability to tank and revenge most basic physical attacks.​

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant nature
252 Attack/ 4 Sp.Defense/ 252 Speed
Outrage, Extremespeed, Earthquake & Dragon Dance

Dragonite is commonly used as the team's late game sweeper. Its set is used to utilize its ability to fire off at least one or two Dragon Dance before going into a complete, and sometimes literal, outrage. Lum Berry is used to obliterate the confusion that Dragonite acquires while using Outrage or any status inflicted upon him while setting up. That said, Outrage is used when all resistant Pokemon on the opposing team have been removed. Earthquake is a decent attack used on Heatran & Ferrothorn threats to the team. Usually Meloetta or Keldeo-R is used in removing said Ferrothorn threats.​

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Bold nature
252 Hp/ 252 Defense/ 4 Sp.Defense
Seismic Toss, Wish, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave

At last we come to the team's cleric, Chansey. Also the team's wall, Chansey often comes in on attacks aimed at a majority of the team. Since I changed Sableye to Dragonite, Chansey's Wish has been more heavily relied upon in supporting Dragonite and Meloetta overall. Seismic Toss is Chansey's way of "denting" the opposing team's Pokemon and wearing them down slowly, yet surely. Thunder Wave support is sometimes shaky mid-game, but it pulls through in the end more or less. Not much more could be said about Chansey's role, other than that it can be very annoying to the opponent to have to deal with.​

In closing the team has brought me a lot of success both as a battled on Pokemon Showdown and WiFi. Meloetta took some time to adjust to, since my natural fear of Ghost-types still tends to catch me on the defensive on occasion. Aside from this, I'd like to be open to any suggestions made toward the improvement of the team. Please do not suggest anything that would open up holes and glaring weaknesses to the team. Irreplaceable members are obviously Meloetta, Keldeo-R and Chansey. The three are the most commonly used on the team when facing friends via WiFi and sometimes of PS. Anyways, happy rating.

Featured battle as example:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17976409
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17592383
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18001446
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17591787
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17579103

Importable

Code:
[CENTER]Love Song (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Revolution (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rollout (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Abrigor (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Redemption (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
AdamantNature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Pinky (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Thunder Wave[/CENTER]
If you use the team, please keep the nicknames. Thanks!

<RMT is identical to that of my Serebii.net account's post; excluding the importable.>
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?606628-Not-Gonna-Write-You-a-Love-Song-(An-OU-Team-featuring-Meloetta)

Hey, nice looking team. One small correction right off the bat, is Meloetta isn't immune to fighting type attacks. She takes neutral damage. :P

I really like your synergy and balance. Honestly, I can't find many flaws with your team. You have a good mix of offense and defense, special and physical. You have stealth rock, rapid spin, electric immunity, two ghost immunities, a bulky steel type, status user, cleric, physical and special sweepers, one of the best choice scarf users, multiple forms of priority...basically everything you could want on a team. Great job!

The biggest issue is probably fighting types, or those with strong fighting type moves. Only Dragonite resists them, and he can fall to a follow up Ice Punch (since many fighting types also carry Ice Punch for Landorus/Gliscor/Dragons). I'm unsure on a fix for that right now, other than good play and prediction.

Thanks for the feedback Episode36. Fighting types are usually dealt with using a combination of Meloetta and Keldeo. This is also why I prefer Psychic over Psyshock on Meloetta because, after a single Calm Mind, Meloetta can OHKO bulky Conkeldurr variants, while Kedleo is able to handle the remaining Fighting -type variety.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the team. I made the small mistake that you pointed out of saying "...immunity to Ghost and Fighting -types...", when I really mean "...immunity to Ghost and impunity to Fighting -types." Haha. Thanks for catching that.

This looks great man! It's a very balanced team. One thing I would say is for Dragonite, I would give him full HP instead of speed or attack. If you set up with DD Dragonite, you will have plenty of speed and attack, and bulky dragonites are very hard to take down. I would also switch Earthquake to Fire Punch. That way you would have coverage against the ice types that plague Dragonite. Your Blissey seems like it would be absolute hell to deal with. Also, I have to ask. Where did you get the picture of the full team?

Great job again man, the team looks very good!

Hi! Great team you have here, I'm having such a hard time finding any flaws or weaknesses that I won't even suggest you change anything.
A couple pointers: I can see Calm Mind Lati@s being a nuisance, especially if they're carrying hp fire as a silver bullet for your Scizor and Psyshock for your Chansey and Keldeo. Seeing as how rare they seem to be, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but definitely something to watch out for.
One thing that is annoying me about this team is that the sets you use are all really common and can easily be worked around. Hell, i wouldn't be surprised if an experienced player immediately figured out which sets you're using before the battle even begins just by looking at the team preview. I'm not saying that using commonly used sets on every pokemon on your team is wrong (they are commonly used for a reason), but just that it can be played around instead of using something unexpected (bar Meloetta). This team essentially feels standard to me, but again, it's so well put together that i can't offer any major or minor changes.
That's all i have to offer, good luck with the team!

Made a slight change in Dragonite's nature from Jolly to Adamant.

Aside from this, thanks for the compliments, Frightful. Lati@s haven't given me any trouble as of yet and with Dragonite, they may never have the chance to set up enough for a possible sweep. As for the team being standard, it is somewhat "by the book" if you will. Haha. As the RMT explains, Meloetta and its teammates were only for gimmicks sake and then somehow took on a life of its own. Thanks for the feedback, though. It was well appreciated!

There's Conkeldurr, but Meloetta can get through. The only concern with that is maybe Payback. It's hard not to get a full power Payback to the face with it's 40 base speed. And besides, Meloetta won't want lowered speed just to get past it. But it has Psychic, but I'm not sure it will KO. Maybe do some VoltTurn awesomeness before U-turning out from Scizor to Meloetta, then kill with Psychic. But that would be a waste of time if it OHKOes. :D

Haha. Hey Psylink, funny you should mention that. Conkeldurr did seem like a threat upon its preview vs. my team.

Ironically, I just faced a Conkeldurr on PS with Meloetta. An unboosted Psychic is a sure OHKO. With Rotom-W being the most common form of Volt Switch to form the Volt-Turn strategy, Meloetta is able to easily come in and set up at least one and at most two Calm Mind, making it a very threatening attacker hence forth in the battle. If Conkeldurr insists on switching in on Chansey, it then faces being T-Waved or Meloetta coming in to take a resisted Drain Punch and being OHKO'ed in return by Psychic.

Nice team you have there. I honestly dont like adamant on a dragonite. You get outsped by jolteon (hp ice) and the small gain of power doesnt really matter since dnite is going to get 1 or even 2 dragon dances most of the time anyway. Also roost should go over extremespeed. The priority is quite unnecesesary and roost helps you get back to full health in case donphan fails to spin. Speaking of donphan i'd use head smash over ice shard. It hits dnite and salamence harder, ohkoes volcarona and most importantly ohkoes gengar who would otherwise wall you and prevent a spin. Finally specs keldeo is usually the best choice for a weatherless team. Scarf is a great revenge killer, but outside of rain it doesnt do as well as it should. Also specs is capable of 2hkoing jellicent with hidden power, something scarf cant do. Give it a try and good luck.

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Meloetta is a really awesome Pokemon, and I highly HIGHLY agree that she is not seeing the use that she should be. Great work incorporating her onto your team!

At a glance, this does not seem to be too vulnerable to anything, but I have to stress that opposing Terrakion and Keldeo could be an issue. Luckily, it isn't too difficult to deal with them. For starters, I will suggest trying out Tentacruel instead of Chansey. With the combination of Tentacruel and Meloetta on your team, you should have very little to fear from opposing special attackers. Tentacruel can also absorb Toxic Spikes and allow Meloetta to switch in without fear of being poisoned, which is neat.

Should you choose to add him, Tentacruel would also provide you with a new Rapid Spinner, freeing up the slot that has been delegated to Donphan. Now, to handle Terrakion, you have the option of trying Landorus-T or Gliscor. Both of these Pokemon work wonders, and have certain one ups over the other. Access to Intimidate allows Landorus-T to function as a superior pivot, and can also apply pressure with his 145 base attack. Gliscor can heal off damage much easier, and he does better against Breloom since he is a very good status absorber. Since either Pokemon would do the job, Its honestly your call on which you might prefer using. There are other minor things I would suggest, such as considering Focus Blast and Psyshock on Meloetta, but these are rather obvious and it is quite likely that you already looked into that. I know its not much to offer, but I hope it helps! Make people realize that Meloetta is deserving of an OU spot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)