Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Wow how do you even find Coelacanth? I've been in the rain fishing for hours.
On the other hand, the ISLAND is amazing. I've been farming beetles, and I've made 250,000+ in about an hour. Also, I caught three sharks back to back like wtf???

Yeah, the island plus bell bloom means I'll have all house upgrades and a lot of public works projects shortly.

Coelacanths are in the ocean anytime during rain (wasn't it river in the other games?) and have the same shadow as sea bass.

I have 45 hours in New Leaf already, which is waaaay more than any other game I have for 3DS. This game is too good.

Anyone have screenshots worth sharing?

Sterling is my favorite villager:

And Kapp'n has some great lines too. When there's three boys and one girl in his boat, the comments are so silly, heh. Can't wait to see the other ones.

Hello everyone. Been lurking this thread a while and reading through it.
Anyways I am going to get a 3ds XL in 3-5 weeks from now. This thread has helped me make a lot of decisions already but I still have a few questions.

Are there any sales/deals coming up on 3ds XLs? Anytime from early to mid July is probably the best. Is there a site to check at or should I just wait to see if gamestop/walmart/target does something? I googled for any deals and all I saw was that special Luigi 3ds thats coming out with Dream Team but I dont like how it looks so lol not happening.

Is it worth getting a case? I travel a pretty fair amount but I have never broken anything even without a case. Is it durable or does it just shatter after little drops?

Ill probably download most games if not all of them. Is there a way to register with Nintendo so if I lose my 3ds I can get my games back?

Finally(sorry for so many questions lol) I am torn on which games I want to get when I get it. 100% sure Ill be getting Luigi Mansion and Zelda Oracles/Seasons right away. I want to pick up one more 3ds game but I am stuck between Mario Kart 7 and Fire Emblem. I love Mario Kart and ill play it for a while but its not something Ill invest hours into. I havent play Fire Emblem before but seriously this games looks sick but Im not sure if I will like and I dont have the time right now to try out the other Fire Emblem games so basically going in blind on that. Would I like it even though I havent played over Fire Eblems?
Really sorry about all the questions but I want to get it right haha. Would appreciate any input and thanks!

i'm not sure about a lot of those questions [not having experience with them], but if you like pokemon you will probably like fire emblem. the game is deep and interesting without being stupidly complex, and the story and characters are really cool and engaging. they're being especially nice to newcomers for awakening, and a lot of things are entirely up to the player [don't wanna give away too many secrets]

in particular, it's similar to pokemon conquest, so if you enjoyed that, you'll probably like this game [though pokemon conquest is easier than this as it's marketed to a younger audience]

but i seriously doubt you will regret getting awakening, for sure. fire emblem in general is a great series, and this one is one of [if not the] best.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I love Mario Kart and ill play it for a while but its not something Ill invest hours into.
I'm not one of those Mario Kart guys who play competitively and join groups and play online all the time. I just like to play through all the tracks and casually attempt to unlock everything and get 1st in everything over time. But I've been playing Mario Kart 7, picking it up here and there, for months. I "quote-unquote-beat" it quite a while ago, but I'm just going back, trying to get 1st in every track in every division. Sometimes I'll hop on wifi and do a few races just for kicks too. I really bought it for my daughter and had no idea it would be this good!

I can only compare it to Fire Emblem from the eshop demo that I tried (which you should try too), but in my opinion, based on my tastes and playstyle, I like Mario Kart more.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
awakening is arguably one of the best fire emblems ever released - it brings together some of the best features of its predecessors (i am a sucker for branched promotions) and it's a good "first" FE. i have over 200 hours on this game. if you've played other turn based tactics games (disgaea, advance wars, pokemon conquest, tactics ogre, Dept. Heaven series, devil survivor) then you know what to expect, and fire emblem is probably THE best-executed example of a tactical RPG ever

honestly if you don't know what to expect, i'd suggest you emulate a GBA fire emblem game, but if that's out of the question, get the demo and play it a few times (at least once on hard difficulty imo - lunatic is optional >_>)

got nothing to say on mario kart cause i don't play any racing games

I've actually not enjoyed Fire Emblem overmuch so far. It's okay, and playable, but I think it's trading a lot on its reputation, and as a newcomer to the series I'm finding it's been overhyped quite a lot.

It takes a long time before you can really customise any of your units; there's very little economy, so you basically never have money to buy or sell anything; there are scant opportunities to just go fight things, so it feels like a string of TBS rounds with some cutscenes in between; many units can get one-hitted really easily making the battles slow since you have to keep everyone together; Ally AI is frankly insane; and the actual in-battle decision making is not actually that complicated - magic and attacks are the same, there are no activated skills, only triggered/static ones, so every decision is "move here, attack this".

It also frustrates me that a number of the recruitable characters are only obtainable if you do something the game doesn't tell you to do, but I suppose that's the nature of secret characters, I suppose.

It feels to me like much more of a turn-based strategy game like Advance Wars (especially given the lack of customisation of units for most of the early part of the game) than a tactical-RPG; FFTA2 or some of the SMT games are a much better example of the latter, IMO.

If you're a fan of TBS, then I'd say pick it up, but it's not a good solution to an RPG-type craving.

My mom just called me telling me to go buy New Leaf so I can play with her in her town.

Who am I to refuse parental orders?
This reminds me of the time my dad bought me Pokemon Blue as a gift when I was little, so that he could finish the Pokedex on his Pokemon Red....

Parent's are a treasure.

hey mr.pooh31 (issat right?)
being an aussie who had the convenience of getting $300 on my birthday 1 week prior to getting my 3ds almost 2 years ago, i can say that these are among the best games on the 3ds.

-fire emblem awakening.
just go on youtube and look for a review and you should get the info you need.

-kid icarus uprising.
a very in-depth 3rd person shooter which has some of the best graphics on the 3ds, has tones of weapon customisation in weapon fusion, the dialogue is hillarious, and somewhat impacting at times, and the multiplayer is definetely much better than halo of CoD (though, thats not much of an achievment...).

-resident evil: revelations.
its old school resi action. a very dark, dingy atmosphere, every enemy being a real, horrifying threat limited ammo and health supplies, and quick time events (yay?). also, the story isnt half bad either.

-street fighter 4.
its street fighter. either you love it, or you dont. ive somehow found myself in the middle.
its the same as the consoles, but not as much content. and the online is a little lacluster for internet connections with high PING.

-Blazblue: continuim shift 2
insane anime like combos, 18 charecters that are NOT ryu ken clones. not even 1 has a spinning kick that resembles street fighter in any way.
it has a great story, good graphics, and an intuitive combo limiter known as "proaration" which makes it extremely difficult (but possible) to almost 1hko the enemy.
the problem is it has no multiplayer, but you cant win 'em all huh? also, the learning curve is very steep, so be prepared to put in at least 4 hours before getting combos that do more than 15% damage.

i guess you could new super mario bros. 3ds up tere as well, but its not so new anymore, huh?

-monster hunter tri ultimate 3ds (fuck, thats a mouth full)
similair to kid icarus, monster hunter tri (aka MH) is a ver customisable 3rd person action rpg game, with bits of micro managing your stuff on the side. you can play through most of the game with your friends, and hunt the biggest baddies nintendo has had on their consoles in like, years! (bowser doesnt count) and even has cross-platform comunication!

any way, those are my fave 3ds games thus far, and you can also buy ocarina of time on the 3ds as well =).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm getting impatient waiting to look into the RNG in X/Y, so I looked into the RNG in Oracle of Ages/Seasons. If anyone's interested on how to get quick, great rings, it's in the spoilers.

Basically, like pokemon, Maple and Gasha Nuts are not really random.

This site got me pointed in the right direction.

http://forums.legendsalliance.com/topic/17347-crackin-the-nut/

After farming a few Soft Soil spots, I can confirm this info is accurate.

Long story short, Maple shows up the very first time you change a screen outside of dungeons, outside of buildings, and not in Subrosia, every 30 enemies you kill. If you've got the Maple ring equipped, it's every 15 enemies.

Gasha Nuts appear after you've planted a Gasha Seed in a Soft Soil spot and killed a bunch of enemies (30 or so? idunno). If you've got the Gasha Ring equipped, it's half that.

The prize you get from a Gasha Nut is determined when you walk into the screen it's in AND hit it with your sword. The prizes you get from Maple are determined when you walk into the screen, she appears, AND you bump into her.

Restore Points (tapping the bottom screen, NOT saving your game) can be used to choose the prize you want from Maple or a Gasha Nut. If you create a Restore Point while standing in front of a ripe Gasha Nut, and immediately walk up and harvest it, you'll get the same prize every time. Read that link for more information on which Soft Soil spots give which prizes at what percentages. Maple is similar, although apparently she doesn't have the limitation of only providing certain rarities of rings in certain areas. If you create a Restore Point, before killing just enough enemies to cause her to appear, after causing her to appear, she'll give you the same prizes every time.

There are multiple ways to change the prize you get. The easiest way I've found is just to change the screen. But if you check that page, they list quite a few actions that alter your prize, so keep that in mind and try your best to not do random stuff while you're abusing or you'll screw up your prize.

Once you've made your Restore Point, 2 screen changes will always give you whatever it happens to give you. 4 will do the same. And 6, and 8, and on and on. But when you set up a new Restore Point, after getting whatever prize you want, the list will have changed. So, 2 doesn't give the same prize indefinitely. Neither do 4, or 8, and so on. But when you create a restore point, 2, 4, 6, etc will always give you what they happen to give you until you do a random action (kill an enemy, change a screen, etc) and set up a new Restore Point.

The advantage of Gasha Nuts is that they're super easy to harvest and reset on. The disadvantage of Gasha Nuts is that certain Soft Soil spots only give certain rings, and the best spots are super far away from the ring shop.

The advantage of Maple is that she gives any of the random rings, AND you can easily cause her to appear right there at the ring shop. The disadvantage of Maple is that she can be a beach to harvest from, especially when she drops good loot (she speeds up and heads for the best loot first). Also, if you let her encounter you a lot, and she scoops up enough of your rupees, she upgrades her broom and gets really, really fast and hard to harvest from.

If you're going to try Gasha Nuts, and you're playing Ages that link has a great list of the best Soft Soil Spots. If you're playing Seasons, I know from experience that the spot at the Mayor's house is most likely a L1 spot. The spot just north of Impa's house is most likely a L1 spot. And the spot with the Red and Blue Darknuts in the Temple Remains (North West Corner-ish) is definitely a L3 spot. I haven't even made it to the 3rd dungeon yet, so I haven't found the best spots in Seasons yet, and I haven't been able to find a guide yet.

So here's how to use all this information to your advantage.

Once you have a ripe Gasha Nut, make sure you kill any enemies, have any items you need equipped, and know your way back to the Ring Shop. Create a Restore Point. Harvest the nut, trek back to the Ring Shop, and see what it gives. If it's what you want, keep it and save. If not, load your Restore Point again, walk out of the screen, then back in, THEN harvest the nut again, trek back to the ring shop and see if it's what you want. If not...reload the Restore Point, walk out of the screen, then back in, this time more times, then see if it's what you want. Repeat till you're happy with what you've got.

For Maple, once you've killed 29 enemies, or more than 15 and have the Maple Ring but not equipped, create a Restore Point. Either kill that 30th enemy, or equip the Maple Ring, walk out of the screen, the music will change and she'll fly by, bump her, grab the loot, take it to the Ring Shop to see if it's what you want. If it's not what you want, reload your Restore Point, walk in and out of the screen once, activate her again, and see if it's what you want again. Repeat until you get what you want.

Even if it's not what you'd ideally want, write down how many advancements give you what, because what you're looking for could possibly be really, REALLY far off and you might just decide to settle on something you found before.

Happy Ring hunting!

[edit]
I forgot about, and just came across, the Shop down in Subrosia. You can buy a total of 4 rings from there, pretty dang cheap. The same process applies. I've only seen L1 and L2 rings from a few minutes of resetting, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that higher level rings can't be obtained from there.

I've gotten the Bombproof Ring, and several other good ones, from Gasha Nuts after about an hour's worth of resetting and research. I also got the Heartpiece AND the Heart Ring L-2 (pretty rare) in about 15 minutes of Maple research. If you want to efficiently 100% your Ages/Seasons, or just get that Green Ring (Attack X2, Damage X.5) early in the game, without wasting hours on Gasha Nuts that don't give you what you need, check it out.

considering that there's a lot of talk about animal crossing, perhaps the demand is sufficient for its own board on the ultimate perfect forum?

idk just a thought

Guys getting a 3ds soon,
Is it worth getting the XL version or the regular 3ds?
XL is nice and usually comes bundled with other games but the regular is cheaper and smaller
Which one do you think is better?

Guys getting a 3ds soon,
Is it worth getting the XL version or the regular 3ds?
XL is nice and usually comes bundled with other games but the regular is cheaper and smaller
Which one do you think is better?
well, they both essentially do the same thing, and it's down to a few pros/cons:

• 3ds is smaller and can more easily fit in your pocket
  • according to my friend, the 3ds has more powerful speakers [not sure why, but his friend's 3ds had stronger sound than his xl - his xl was actually newer]
  • 3ds is cheaper
  • more accessories like armour, skins, and screen protectors are made for regular 3ds if those are your kind of thing

however...

• xl is larger and has higher resolution, if i'm not mistaken
  • xl has a much longer battery life
  • xl often comes bundled with games
  • xl tend to come in nice designs, like the pikachu one, though you might not like them

so yeah really down to personal preference more than anything. one isn't clearly better than the other.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Looking back, I think that an XL might have been worth it, if just for the battery life. Also, the 3DS is a bit small (hands get sort of cramped after a while.)

Also, it'd be nice to see an Animal Crossing thread.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I highly recommend the XL over the regular. You'd be surprised how awesome games look on the bigger screen compared to the regular 3DS.

dsi Xl was good , it was the only Nintendo console that i bought not just because of the pokemon series,i also own an 3ds( witch i bought just to find out how ugly link really is) but i am too tired to play with it,
i prefer my XL whenever i want to kill some serious time the like Zero islands in pokemon mystery dungeon , lan based warhammer 40,000 matches , or just training my cousins pokemons so he can beat his friends in his school, XL is much better for the old 2d games i don't know about 3d

My fiancé and I want to play animal crossing but only have one 3ds at the moment

Could we play both carts on 1 3ds? Would that complicate the friend codes and whatnot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)