Ninetales [QC 2/3] Written

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
(first analysis go easy *-*)

[OVERVIEW]

While Ninetales faces competition from the other Fire-types in the NU such as Magmortar and Pyroar, Ninetales has some notable differences that set it apart from those two. Ninetales has access to a useful boosting move in Nasty Plot, which gives it powerful wallbreaking capabilities. Also, Ninetales possesses a well-rounded movepool that includes Energy Ball and Psyshock, which lets it get past common Pokemon like Lanturn, Hariyama, and Regirock that resist its fire attacks. Another advantage over other Fire-types in the tier is a handy ability in Flash Fire which grants it a fire immunity while also boosting Ninetales Fire-type attacks if activated. However, its attacking strength isn't the greatest without any kind of boost and a weakness to common attacking types such as Ground, Rock, and Water can all hold it back from setting up. Also, while Ninetales has enough speed to outpace a lot of the tier, Pokemon like Tauros, Archeops, and Floatzel are all common and still outspeed.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Energy Ball
move 4: Psyshock / Will-O-Wisp
item: Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot lets Ninetales boost its attacking power to frightening levels and makes it incredibly hard for most teams to switch into because of the type coverage between its attacking moves. Fire Blast is Ninetales stab move of choice due to its power and can hit Grass and Steel-types in NU such as Vileplume, Mawile, and Klingklang for super effective damage. Energy Ball is useful to hit notable fire resists in the tier like Rhydon, Carracosta, Regirock for a ton of damage. Psyshock allows Ninetales to hit on the physical side while most importantly, hitting Assualt Vest Magmortar and Hariyama for a lot more damage, even being able to OHKO the latter at +2. Conversely, Will-o-Wisp also allows Ninetales to spread status and avoid Sucker Punch, letting it burn common users like Shiftry and Skuntank.

Set Details
========

A spread of max special attack and speed with a timid nature is the most useful spread on Ninetales, as that spread allows Ninetales to make the most out its ability to boost and decent movepool. Max speed is also useful to outpace base 95 Pokemon such as Haunter, Jynx, and Electrivire. Life Orb is the preferred item to provide an additional boost to all of Ninetales attacks, at the cost of HP. Flash Fire is the only ability that Ninetales is allowed to use in NU, but the benefit of a potential fire immunity + boost to its fire attacks still makes it a great ability to have.

Usage Tips
========

In order to make the most out of Ninetales, it is important to take advantage of Flash Fire to deter the use of Fire-type moves. Common Will-O-Wisp users such as Weezing, Rotom, and Mismagius and Fire-types like Specs-locked Pyroar locked into Fire Blast or hp grass have no way to threaten Ninetales and are good examples of Pokemon Ninetales can switch into. Set up a nasty plot when Ninetales forces Grass-types like Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist to switch out. In addition, Ninetales is best used as a sweeper late game once all of its hard counters have been weakened or knocked out.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is important to support Ninetales in order to keep it at a healthy amount of HP. Because of this spinners and defoggers like Prinplup, Pelipper and Claydol all make good teammates as they can remove hazards for Ninetales while still sharing decent type synergy. Defensive Grass-types make great partners for their own synergy with Ninetales. Pokemon like Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Torterra all cover Ninetales weaknesses to Water-types and Rock-types very nicely. Offensive Water-types such as Samurott and Poliwrath can also handle the ground and rock types that give Ninetales trouble. Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferroseed, Roselia, and Garbodor is appreciated as Ninetales is somewhat weak without a boost, and the extra chip damage can come in handy to weaken its counters. For example, a layer of spikes helps to 2hko Regirock with no boosts and allows Ninetales to ohko it at plus 2.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Substitute + Salac Berry is a combo that can allow for more setup opportunities by blocking status moves and letting Ninetales boost its speed to outpace the majority of NU. Hypnosis, albeit shaky due to its accuracy, can be useful for forcing switches and getting set up opportunities. Hidden Power water has potential in it being a way to hit opposing Fire-types for more damage while still hitting Rock and Ground-types for a lot of damage. Leftovers is another option over Life Orb as the HP gained each turn can be beneficial to replace lost health from the likes of entry hazards. Charcoal is a useful item for giving a boost to Ninetales fire attacks while avoiding residual damage from Life Orb. Passho Berry is a neat option that provides a one-time check to offensive water types like Floatzel, Kabutops and Samurott, allowing you to ko them in return with Energy Ball. Shuca allows Ninetales to set up on non stab ground type attacks from Pokemon like Magmortar that use it for coverage. The main disadvantage of using anything other than Life Orb is that the loss in power can make Ninetales a lot less threatening as a sweeper.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster offensive Pokemon**: Ninetales speed stat isn't the greatest, so it's prone to being outsped by Pokemon like Tauros, Archeops, and Swellow that can’t switch in safely but can force Ninetales out easily with their own strong attacks.

**Water-types**: Pokemon like Floatzel can outspeed and do a lot of damage to Ninetales with its stab attacks. Kabutops and Samurott can threaten out Ninetales despite their lower speed due to their strong water priority in Aqua Jet.

**Magmortar**: Magmortar can switch in safely to most of Ninetales moves barring Psyshock, and can threaten Ninetales out with Earthquake

**Thick Fat Pokemon**: Hariyama and Grumpig can both check Ninetales due to their abilities and in Grumpig's case, typing as well. Hariyama has to watch out for Psyshock however.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

[OVERVIEW]

+Has a solid base speed of 100 which allows it to outpace the majority of the tier.
+Has access to a useful boosting move in nasty plot, which gives it powerful wallbreaking capabilities.
+ Flash Fire grants a useful immunity and boost to its Fire-type attacks
Mention a nice movepool, as it has great options for getting past Fire Resists

- Faces competition from the other Fire-types in NU such as Magmortar and Pyroar. Mention why these are better (dual stab and hits a lot harder)
- Rather weak attacker when unboosted.
- Weakness to common attacking types. Like what?

[SET]

name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Psyshock
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

• Nasty Plot makes Ninetales incredibly hard to switch into
  • Fire Blast is Ninetales most powerful stab
  • Flamethrower is more accurate, albeit it is much weaker I would unslash Flamethrower, it is just so much weaker and I don't really like having it slashed
  • Energy Ball is solid coverage against Grass, Water, and Rock types
  • Will-o-Wisp helps to wear down Ninetales checks by racking up burn damage What checks does it wear down?
  • Psyshock is nice for hitting specially defensive pokemon that resist ninetales main coverage moves Like what? Also mention this is very nice specifically for Hariyama and other specially bulky walls like Magmortar and stuff

Set Details
========
  • Max special attack and speed with a timid nature is the most useful spread on Ninetales, making the most of Ninetales firepower
  • Life Orb is the preferred item to boost Ninetales attack, Leftovers is an option for the extra HP recovery Mention Charcoal down here, I've used it before and its worked well

Usage Tips
========
  • Take advantage of Flash Fire to gain set up opportunities Mention what you can switch in on, aka Wisp and Fire Type mons w/o coverage to hit it
  • Reliable hazard removal is nice to keep Ninetales at a healthy amount of HP
  • Ninetales is best used late game as Nasty Plot lets it tear through weakened teams

Team Options
========
  • Grass-types make great partners for their synergy with Ninetales
  • Bulky Spinners/Defoggers Why do they have to be bulky
  • Bulky Water-types

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Substitute can allow for more set up opportunities while avoiding priority attacks, but the residual damage can rack up if using Life Orb
  • Hidden Power ground is a niche coverage option, but hits Probopass for a lot more damage.
Mention Hidden Power Water for Fire Types imo
SubSalac is a set, probably worth a mention
Hypnosis?

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Offensive Water-types - Floatzel and Samurott are two examples that can do a lot to Ninetales with their attacks Reformat this, take a look at other mons in the QC Stage for an example of what to do and I will take another look
  • Special Walls - Opposing Ninetales, Piloswine, and Mantine all take little from Ninetales attacks and can status or strike back for super effective damage
  • Probopass - Fire Blast does little damage while Probopass has the ability to heavily damage Ninetales with it’s Rock-type attacks
  • Faster Offensive Pokemon - Pokemon like Tauros, Archeops, and Swellow that outspeed can force Ninetales out easily with their own strong attack.
Look over my changes, reformat C&C and I will give it another look. Also I would recommend expanding the bullet points, since a) it makes it easier to check for me and other QC Members and b) once you get around to writing it you go much faster since most of it is written.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
say that Nasty Plot is its niche over other Fire Types like Magmortar and Pyroar
other QC members should give their opinion, but I really don't like Leftovers being slashed since its so weak.
in team options give more of an explanation as to why you should pair ninetales with them
in OO when you mention Sub also give a mention of Salac Berry, since LO w/ Sub is bad, Lefties is meh, and Charcoal is the only other good option
Move Probopass to the bottom of C&C since its the least important

once all this is done QC 1/3

Rapture

I got so much time today
Done. I'd like to hear other opinons on Leftovers since I think its has its merits, but the significant loss in power is pretty bad overall.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
comments in Bold

[OVERVIEW]

+Has a solid base speed of 100 which allows it to outpace the majority of the tier.
+Has access to a useful boosting move in nasty plot, which gives it powerful wallbreaking capabilities.
+Has a diverse movepool that allows it to get past common fire checks mention examples here

- Faces competition from the other Fire-types in NU such as Magmortar, who has more immediate power and Pyroar who has better speed and powerful normal stab.
- Weakness to common attacking types like rock, ground, and water

[SET]

item: Life Orb / Leftovers

what happened to your formatting here bro D:
  • Nasty Plot makes Ninetales incredibly hard to switch into I wouldn't say it makes Ninetales "hard to switch into" I would say it transforms Ninetales into an actual offensive threat. What makes Ninetales hard to switch into is its coverage.
  • Energy Ball is solid coverage against Grass, Water, and Rock types mention examples here
  • Will-o-Wisp helps to cripple physical attackers that Ninetales outspeeds such as Hitmonchan and Shiftry add examples of physical attackers Ninetales can't hit and then go on to say Wisp avoids Sucker and list Sucker Punch users
  • Psyshock is nice for hitting specially defensive Pokemon that resist Ninetales main coverage moves, More importantly, Psyshock also hits Hariyama and Magmortar for a lot more damage nitpick, but it's better to say specially bulky because Hariyama and Magmortar aren't defensive Pokemon. Be sure to specify Thick Fat Hariyama.

Set Details
========
  • Max special attack and speed with a timid nature is the most useful spread on Ninetales, making the most of Ninetales firepower
  • Life Orb is the preferred item to boost Ninetales attack, Leftovers is an option for the extra HP recovery I've been back and forth on Leftovers, but I think it's ultimately pretty lackluster. You REALLY need that +2 w/ Lefties and even then you miss out on some vital KOes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 196 SpD Regirock: 309-364 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 196 SpD Regirock: 238-280 (65.3 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 413-489 (96.2 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 318-376 (74.1 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

These are the two biggest examples and just being able to hit overall harder without a boost is essential to Ninetales. Leave lefties here in Set Details but deslash it.

• Charcoal is another option to still boost Ninetales Fire-type attacks while avoiding Life Orb recoil I'd honestly move this to OO. LOrb is good cause you get the boost on your coverage. The extra power from Charcoal on your STAB isn't that relevant for a sets mention

Usage Tips
========
  • Take advantage of Flash Fire to deter the use of Fire-type moves, common Will-O-Wisp users such as Weezing and Rotom and Fire-types like Torkoal that have no way to threaten Ninetales are good examples of Pokemon Ninetales can switch into
  • Reliable hazard removal is nice to keep Ninetales at a healthy amount of HP examples please
  • Ninetales is best used late game as Nasty Plot lets it tear through weakened teams
Try and name some examples of what Ninetales sets up on

Team Options
========
  • Grass-types make great partners for their synergy with Ninetales. Pokemon like Vileplume, Gourgiest, and Torterra all cover Ninetales Weaknesses nicely. what are Ninetales's weaknesses and how do these specific Grass-types cover them? Are there any specific Defensive Grass-types that cover more of its weaknesses/do a better job?
  • Spinners/Defoggers like Prinplup, Pelipper and Claydol can remove hazards for Ninetales, which is vital so that it doesn't get worn down too quickly
  • Bulky Water-types such as Samurott, Quagsire, and Poliwrath can all handle the ground and rock types that give Ninetales trouble, either defensively or offensively. I wouldn't classify Samurott as a bulky Water-type when it isn't switching into anything for Ninetales. Either reword bulky waters or only list bulky waters that can switch in and threaten Rocks and Grounds
For sure mention Spikes/Rocks support here. The extra residual damage really helps supplement Ninetales's lackluster offensive presence and most of its common switch-ins don't have reliable recovery.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Substitute + Salac Berry can allow for more set up opportunities while also letting Ninetales boost its mediocre speed tier to outpace the majority of the tier
  • Hidden Power ground is a niche coverage option, but hits Probopass for a lot more damage.
  • Hidden Power water is an option to hit opposing Fire-types for more damage
  • Hypnosis can be useful for forcing switches and getting set up opportunities
Mention Passho Berry here for Floatzel/Kabu/Samu

Checks and Counters
===================
**Offensive water types**: Pokemon like Floatzel and Samurott can do a lot of damage to Ninetales with their stab attacks
**Specially defensive walls**: Pokemon like opposing Ninetales, Piloswine, and Mantine all take little from Ninetales attacks and can status or strike back for super effective damage none of the pokemon you mentioned are "walls" exactly with the exception of Mantine. You could just change this to Specially Bulky Pokemon and then mention
**Faster offensive Pokemon**: Ninetales speed stat isn't the greatest, so it's prone to being outsped by Pokemon like Tauros, Archeops, and Swellow that can force Ninetales out easily with their own strong attacks
**Probopass**: it takes little damage from any of Ninetales attacks while Probopass has the ability to heavily damage Ninetales with its Rock-type attacks probopass isn't relevant in NU, I'd say remove this mention entirely

I would, however, specifically mention Magmortar. The best Ninetales has to hit it is Psyshock and that's assuming it will always have Psyshock.

Also add a section for Thick Fat mons. Grumpig shits on Ninetales and Hariyama checks it fairly well.

formatting is a bit off here, each check/counter is separated by a line
That's a lot of stuff so tag me when you get it all implemented :)

Good work so far, bud!

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
comments in bold bold bold bold bold bold bold boLD BOLD BOLD BOLD BOLD BOLD
bold

[OVERVIEW]

+Has a diverse movepool that allows it to get past common fire checks like Water-type, Fire-types, and Hariyama sorry this was on me, I should have been more specific. Name specific Pokemon instead of types, the common reader should know what resists Fire, but they may not know the most common Pokemon in NU for that role.

- Faces competition from the other Fire-types in NU such as Magmortar, who has more immediate power and Pyroar who has better speed and powerful normal stab.
- Weakness to common attacking types like rock, ground, and water

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Nasty Plot makes Ninetales much more threatening offensively
  • Energy Ball is solid coverage against Water and Rock types like Carracosta and Rhydon
  • Will-o-Wisp helps to cripple physical attackers that Ninetales out speeds such as Hariyama and Kabutops. Will-o-Wisp also allows Ninetales to avoid Sucker Punch and burn its common users like Shiftry and Skuntank
  • Psyshock is nice for hitting specially bulky Pokemon that resist Ninetales main coverage moves, More importantly, Psyshock also hits Thick Fat Hariyama and Magmortar for a lot more damage list examples of specific specially bulky Pokemon that resist Ninetales's coverage moves. If you can only come up with Hariyama and Mag, just get rid of the first sentence since it would be redundant.

Set Details
========
  • Life Orb is the preferred item to boost Ninetales attack, Leftovers is an option for the extra HP recovery
still have to mention Flash Fire here

Usage Tips
========
  • Take advantage of Flash Fire to deter the use of Fire-type moves, common Will-O-Wisp users such as Weezing and Rotom and Fire-types like Torkoal that have no way to threaten Ninetales are good examples of Pokemon Ninetales can switch into tiny thing but you can mention Specs-locked Pyroar when you mentioned Fire-types
  • Reliable hazard removal from the likes of Pelipper, Hitmonchan, or Claydol is nice to keep Ninetales at a healthy amount of HP
  • Ninetales is best used late game as Nasty Plot lets it set up on Pokemon it forces to switch, such as Grass-types like Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist hm I think "used as a late game sweeper" and "set up on pokemon Ninetales forces out" should be two separate points.

Team Options
========
  • Grass-types make great partners for their synergy with Ninetales. Pokemon like Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Torterra all cover Ninetales weaknesses to Fire-Types and Rock-types nicely Specify Defensive Grass-types
  • Spinners/Defoggers like Prinplup, Pelipper and Claydol can remove hazards for Ninetales, which is vital so that it doesn't get worn down too quickly
  • Water-types such as Samurott, Quagsire, and Poliwrath can all handle the ground and rock types that give Ninetales trouble, either defensively or offensively.
  • Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferroseed, Roselia, and Garbodor is appreciated as Ninetales is weak without a boost and the extra chip damage can come in handy to weaken its counters

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Substitute + Salac Berry can allow for more set up opportunities while also letting Ninetales boost its mediocre speed tier to outpace the majority of the tier
  • Hidden Power ground is a niche coverage option, but hits Probopass for a lot more damage. I don't think HP Ground is that relevant. Maybe in PU, but I can't see what HP Ground does that HP Water doesn't outside of the irrelevant Probo.
  • Hidden Power water is an option to hit opposing Fire-types for more damage. Specify that HP Water can still hit Rock- and Ground-types
  • Hypnosis can be useful for forcing switches and getting set up opportunities
  • Charcoal is a good option for giving a boost to Ninetales fire attacks only, while avoiding residual damage from Life Orb
  • Passho Berry provides a one time check to offensive water types like Floatzel, Kabutops and Samurott, allowing you to to ko them in return with Energy Ball
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ free Leftovers つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive water types**: Pokemon like Floatzel and Samurott can do a lot of damage to Ninetales with their stab attacks maybe separate this sentence with "fast offensive Water-types" (Floatzel/Simipour) and "aqua jet users" (Kabu/Samurott) so it's not confusing when you specify how Samurott, a Pokemon that's slower than Ninetales, can outspeed it

**Specially bulky walls**: Pokemon like opposing Ninetales, Piloswine, and Mantine all take little from Ninetales attacks and can status or strike back for super effective damage I just looked back and saw I never finished my thought here lol. Uh idk what my thought was originally, but I'd remove the Pilo/Ninetales since they aren't necessarily "specially bulky walls" and replace them with, say, Mega Audino and Musharna.

**Faster offensive Pokemon**: Ninetales speed stat isn't the greatest, so it's prone to being outsped by Pokemon like Tauros, Archeops, and Swellow that can force Ninetales out easily with their own strong attacks

**Magmortar**: Magmortar can switch in safely to most of Ninetales moves barring Psyshock, and can threaten Ninetales out with Earthquake

**Thick Fat Pokemon**: Hariyama and Grumpig can both check Ninetales due to their abilities and in Grumpig's case, typing as well. Hariyama has to watch out for Psyshock however.
ok implement all that and it'll be QC 2/3

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hey Rapture. make sure you write this.

during the write up you can slash shuca berry with life orb (its more useful than passho considering how often top threats carry non-stab ground coverage and makes ninetales so much better in the late game) and make psyshock primary slash over will-o-wisp as its generally more useful to smack hariyama and mag than it is to burn the mono rock types that no one runs (if its kabu or rhydon or w.e you're just killing it with e ball so idk why wisp is mentioned alongside kabU?)

Rapture

I got so much time today
Implemented everything Dis told me to get, and I'll be sure to get everything you mentioned kiyo when I do the write up this weekend.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

While Ninetales faces competition from the other Fire-types in the NU such as Magmortar and Pyroar, Ninetales has some notable differences that set it apart from those two. For example, Ninetales has a solid base speed of 100 which allows it to outpace a solid majority of the tier. Ninetales also has access to a useful boosting move in Nasty Plot, which gives it powerful wallbreaking capabilities. Also, Ninetales possesses a well-rounded movepool that lets it get past common Pokemon like Lanturn, Hariyama, and Regirock that resist its fire attacks. list what moves it has over the other fires, which is energy ball and psyshock Another advantage over other Fire-types in the tier is a handy ability in Flash Fire which grants it a fire immunity while also boosting Ninetales Fire-type attacks if activated. However, its attacking strength isn't the greatest without any kind of boost and a weakness to common attacking types such as Ground, Rock, and Water can all hold it back from setting up.

you're forgetting to mention one of ninetales's other big flaws, speed. while base 100 is quite good, it is outsped by prominent offensive threats such as tauros, archeops, and floatzel

otherwise the overview is good contentwise, the grammar and wording will need some work from GP but it cant hurt to look it over yourself to see where you can make the sentences flow better

[SET]
<remove empty line>
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper just leave it at nasty plot
move 4: Psyshock / Will-O-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot lets Ninetales boost its attacking power to frightening levels and makes it incredibly hard for most teams to switch into because of the type coverage between its attacking moves. Fire Blast is Ninetales stab move of choice due to its power and can hit Grass and Steel-types in NU such as Vileplume, Mawile, and Klingklang for super effective damage. Energy Ball is useful to hit notable fire resists in the tier like Rhydon, Carracosta, Regirock for a ton of damage. Psyshock allows Ninetales to hit on the physical side while most importantly, hitting Hariyama for a lot more damage, even being able to OHKO at +2 it also hits av magmortar which is very useful. Conversely, Will-o-Wisp also allows Ninetales to spread status and avoid Sucker Punch, letting it burn common users like Shiftry and Skuntank.

Set Details
========

A spread of max special attack and speed with a timid nature is generally (saying generally takes away from the objectiveness that analyses should have, and there is also no other spread worth running on ninetales) the most useful spread on Ninetales, as that spread allows Ninetales to make the most out its ability to boost and decent movepool. Max speed is also useful to outpace base 95 Pokemon such as Haunter, Jynx, and Electrivire. Life Orb is the preferred item to provide an additional boost to all of Ninetales attacks, at the cost of HP. Shuca Berry can be used over Life Orb, as a weakened Ground-type attack can be easy set up bait for Ninetales. Flash Fire is the only ability that Ninetales is allowed to use in NU, but the benefit of a potential fire immunity + boost to its fire attacks still makes it a great ability to have.

move shuca berry to other options, its just not worth giving up the power boost from life orb that ninetales so desperately needs to function properly

Usage Tips
========

In order to make the most out of Ninetales, it is important to take advantage of Flash Fire to deter the use of Fire-type moves. Common Will-O-Wisp users such as Weezing and Rotom and Fire-types like Torkoal (torkoal is not relevant -_-, replace with something else like mismagius/misdreavus) and Specs-locked Pyroar (note how it can take advantage of pyroar only locked into fire blast or hp grass, not hyper voice) that have no way to threaten Ninetales are good examples of Pokemon Ninetales can switch into. A weakness to Stealth Rock means that Ninetales enjoys reliable hazard removal from the likes of Pelipper, Hitmonchan, or Claydol in order to keep itself at a healthy amount of HP. (this sentence belongs in team optsion) Nasty Plot can let Ninetales set up on Pokemon it forces to switch, such as Grass-types like Vileplume, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist. (reword this sentence to make it more of a usage tips, so like "set up a nasty plot when ninetales forces out...) In addition, Ninetales is best used as a sweeper late game once all of its hard counters have been weakened or knocked out.

Team Options
========

As mentioned before, (fluff) hazard removal is important to support Ninetales in order to keep it at a healthy amount of HP. Because of this spinners and defoggers like Prinplup, Pelipper and Claydol all make good teammates as they can remove hazards for Ninetales while still sharing decent type synergy. Defensive Grass-types make great partners for their own synergy with Ninetales. Pokemon like Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Torterra all cover Ninetales weaknesses to Water-types and Rock-types very nicely. Water-types such as Samurott, Quagsire (remove this, I'd never use quagsire on a team that ninetales would fit on), and Poliwrath can also handle the ground and rock types that give Ninetales trouble, but can do so either offensively or defensively in Quagsires case. Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferroseed, Roselia, and Garbodor is appreciated as Ninetales is somewhat weak without a boost, and the extra chip damage can come in handy to weaken its counters (please find some damage calcs that spikes help it achieve such as a layer of spikes getting a 2hko on (x) or ohko on (x) otherwise the mention of spikes is very arbitrary)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Substitute + Salac Berry is a combo that can allow for more set up opportunities by blocking status moves and letting Ninetales boost its mediocre speed tier (its speed is certainly not mediocre at all, reword this) to outpace the majority of NU. Hypnosis, albeit shaky due to its accuracy, can be useful for forcing switches and getting set up opportunities. Passho Berry is a neat option that provides a one-time check to offensive water types like Floatzel, Kabutops and Samurott, allowing you to ko them in return with Energy Ball. Charcoal is an useful item for giving a boost to Ninetales fire attacks only, while avoiding residual damage from Life Orb. Leftovers is another option over Life Orb as the HP gained each turn can be beneficial to replace lost health from the likes of entry hazards. Hidden Power water has potential in it being a way to hit opposing Fire-types for more damage, while still hitting Rock- and Ground-types for a lot of damage.

when you talk about any other item thats not life orb, specify how losing on the significant power boost provided by life orb is very detrimental and takes away from ninetales's ability as a sweeper. what I'd do is have individual sentences for shuca, passho, and charcoal and then followed by a sentence which talks about the disadvantage of not using life orb

Checks and Counters
===================

** Fast offensive water types**: Pokemon like Floatzel and Simipour can outspeed and do a lot of damage to Ninetales with their stab attacks

**Aqua Jet users**: Pokemon such as Kabutops and Samurott can threaten out Ninetales despite their lower speed due to their strong water priority in Aqua Jet

combine these above two sections into water-types; dont mention simipour as its not relevant

**Specially bulky walls**: Pokemon like opposing Musharna, Mega Audino, and Lanturn all take little from Ninetales attacks and can status or strike back for super effective damage

I dont like this section very much, because all of these pokemon basically lose to ninetales 1v1 if they switch into nasty plot, as +2 eball does min 82% to lanturn, +2 fire blast does min 80% to mush, and mega audino is a pretty bad check as well because if its not cm it straight loses, and even cm has a decent chance to lose to boosted psyshocks; even at that ninetales can boost faster than maudino

honestly I'd remove this section because what ninetales does best is breaking down specially bulky mons

note how none of these pokemon should switch in and only check ninetales by revenge killing it
move this section to the first

Comments and changes in bold.
Let me know when you've implemented this and I'll look it over again.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Moves

"Fire Blast is Ninetales stab move of choice due to its power and can hit Grass and Steel-types in NU such as Vileplume, Mawile, and Klingklang for super effective damage."
Its super obvious that Fire Blast hits Grass and Steel-types, you're just stating the obvious here. I'd rather you talk specifically about the move itself here, maybe something about how the extra power over Flamethrower is very helpful to compensate for Ninetales's low base Special Attack.

Usage Tips

"In addition, Ninetales is best used as a sweeper late game once all of its hard counters have been weakened or knocked out."
This is a very obvious and general statement, and it needs rewording. Talk about how setting up at the right time is very important because ninetales will almost never get more than one chance to do so, mainly due to how easy it is to get worn down between potential entry hazard damage and life orb recoil.

OO

Remove HP Water. That was cute when we had camel, but that seems pretty bad now.

C&C

This needs a lot of work.

Change the first section to "Revenge Killers" and add a sentence about priority users, the likes of Kangaskhan, Hitmonchan, and Shiftry are all solid ways of revenge killing Ninetales. Note that Shiftry has a harder time versus Will-O-Wisp variants.

Water-types: add how they aren't the most reliable switch ins due to them being weak to Energy Ball and Samurott / Kabutops are primarily revenge killers. Lanturn can live a +2 Energy Ball and either cripple Ninetales with Thunder Wave or pivot out with Volt Switch into a faster Pokemon.

Add an individual section for Zweilous, while it may be fairly uncommon and only ranked C-, it is one of the hardest counters to Ninetales in the tier.

In the Thick Fat section, give one sentence for Grumpig (put it first) and one sentence for Hariyama because they dont check Ninetales to the same degree. Grumpig is a much harder check because it resists both Fire Blast and Psyshock while being able to shrug off Energy Ball with its high special bulk. Hariyama can only check an unboosted Ninetales or if it doesn't have Psyshock. In both sentences here, list how the Pokemon threatens Ninetales (Grumpig can either get off damage with Psychic or Psyshock or cripple it with Thunder Wave or Toxic, Hariyama threatens to deal heavy damage with Close Combat).

Put Magmortar last because its not that great of a check given that it does not always run Earthquake and also struggles a lot with Psyshock Ninetales.

QC 3/3

I would strongly advise looking through the smogon Spelling and Grammar standards because there are a lot of small errors here and there, doing so will make the work for GP a lot easier.

After you do that post a link to this thread in the GP Queue.

Feel free to PM me on PS or Skype if you have any questions.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Rapture. I'm giving you 48 hours to implement my check or I'm reassigning, its been over a week since you last edited the OP and it honestly should not take this long between each step of the analysis.
If you're very busy with something in real life, that's totally understandable, but I'm not a mind reader so if that's the case please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)