newbie's first team

Yeah, thats right: and with that in mind, please bear with me. I'm attempting to learn my way through the enourmous amount of info that is the pokemon world and as I see it I may be falling prone to the obvious "all offense" teams, which is why I'm coming here for help. If I am posting in the wrong place, let me now.

Okay. So.

Jolly Electivire @ Expert Belt
Thunderpunch
Icepunch
Earthquake
Fire Punch

252atk/252spd/4hp

Yes, I realize that perhaps cross chop would better substitute fire punch. However, I don't have acess to that type of elekid breeding just yet so in the meantime I figured I'd breed an elekid with fire punch, instead. Plus firepunch would aid swampert, who is further down this team.

The idea is to have a so-so sweeper that has good type coverage in its moveset (idealizing the expert belt) and is also relatively fast. Going for the physical because the base attack stat is higher than spAtk. With the good coverage in mind, electivire seems like a good lead to me that can probably start taking out pokemon from the get go (as opposed to switching in, because he doesn't seem to have all that great defense).

The EV spread: a physical attacker, hence the atk, and while yes, having it be jolly would essentially make it really fast, I can't exactly bank on getting that pokemon with perfect speed. At current, out of all the breeding I've done the best I can do is 30 IV for speed.

Jolly Garchomp @ Hmm, I dunno...
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage
Crunch
Stone Edge
Toxic

I'll be honest, Garchomp just looks fucking cool. But that aside, I wanted a dragon on my team and I tend to favor speed so I went with Garchomp. Why no earthquake and dragon claw? Well, electivire already has earthquake...so, would I be making a mistake in assuming that I don't need garchomp to have it? Plus, my next pokemon is swampert and while swampert would get stab with earthquake as well, garchomp has a higher base atk. And I don't altogether see the value in having two dragon moves when outrage is so great by itself. Thus, stone edge.

This pokemon favors physical attacks, hence the atk ev spread, and speed only seems logical given the base speed+ jolly. Ideally taking out some of the things that electivire can't.

Relaxed Swampert @ Leftovers
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Hydro Pump
Roar

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Judging from the movesets associated with the rest of my potential team, I decided I kinda desperatel needed water moves, ideally with a pokemon that would benefit with a STAB. And ideally, a pokemon that is somewhat bulky. So we've narrowed it down to bulky water, eh? (Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good conclusion to make relative to my two other pokemon?)

So I explained why no earthquake. Ice beam just seems like a good option given the dragons running rampant, stealth rock is a good setup for long-term damage, hydro pump because I usually play doubles and I'm not currently considering pokemon that would benefit from getting hit by surf, and roar...well, mostly to get rid of pokemon that pose a threat to either me or my buddy in the double battle.

Now this is where I start getting a bit shaky. So far, I have a lot of very physically oriented attackers. With this in mind, I wanted to pick out more special-oriented pokemon and all the while not choosing any pokemon that have too many related weaknesses, and this is where my newbieness shines the most, I think (not that it doesn't shine elsewhere, just here particularly I think). So all the following pokemon I'm not sure about but am considering for the other slots on my team:

Modest Lucario @ Choice Specs

Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Psychic

As always, I seem to favor faster pokemon so Lucario came to mind. His movepool allows me to even further stretch out which pokemon I can sweep, including pokemon that would be a threat to Lucario himself. Counters which are usually defensive-oriented and my lucario would be, ideally, a special attack beast. Flash Cannon and aura sphere would take advantage of stab.

The next slot I am wholeheartedly debating; I don't know who to put there. Ideally I'd want a ghost--right now I'm meddling between spiritomb, who has no weaknesses, and is somewhat bulky, rotom, who is immune to ground which seems to be a major weakness insofar and who, if is fridged, can use thunderbolt and blizzard with a higher special attack than spiritomb, or hell even dusknoir, who is bulky (and I lack bulky) and can provide aid in the form of status inducing w/ will o wisp, and annoyance with pain split. Still, this isn't anything spiritomb can't learn himself and he wouldn't have weaknesses. I was initially considering rhyperior but he has a ground and fighting weakness and is physically oriented anyway. Plus a ghost type would be aided by my much faster lucario in my double battles.

The last slot, at the moment, I have no real clue. Currently I have acess to an amazing

porygon z @ choice specs with a nature that adds or detracs nothing
252spatk/252speed

with the moveset of

thunderbolt
ice beam
tri attack
dark pulse

But I am concerned with my blatant reliance on glass cannons with this team, so I am not sure I should use him.

Anyway, any help you guys could provide would be amazing: I am sorry if I reek of noobism. I'm here to learn.

Thanks!

I'm not an experienced rater at all, but just a few tips for you;

Garchomp is Uber and therefore not allowed in standard OU play.
Look on; http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ to find out each pokemons tiers.

You will also need to present 6 pokemon to rate.

Good Luck!
I'm aware that garchomp is uber. I'm not entirely concerned, though, because this is mainly for use in specific circles that aren't completely stupid about their teams (ie THIS ONE IS CUTE or THIS ONE IS COOLER) but also aren't compleeeeeeetely uber competitive. I'm dawdling more towards competitive, again, why I'm here...i'd like to learn more.

I did more or less present 6 pokemon, though. The 5th is being contested by pokemon who are all similar and I thought it would be a pain to post all three when the movesets are so similar...should I do it anyway?

I'm aware that garchomp is uber. I'm not entirely concerned, though, because this is mainly for use in specific circles that aren't completely stupid about their teams (ie THIS ONE IS CUTE or THIS ONE IS COOLER) but also aren't compleeeeeeetely uber competitive. I'm dawdling more towards competitive, again, why I'm here...i'd like to learn more.

I did more or less present 6 pokemon, though. The 5th is being contested by pokemon who are all similar and I thought it would be a pain to post all three when the movesets are so similar...should I do it anyway?
You need to post all six. Or at least put something that shows that there is a Placeholder there where you are deciding. As it stands, someone browsing your team will only see six members.

Individual Member comments:

Electivire - Electivire is considered to be a highly overrated Pokemon by most. Especially when you have two other Electric immunes and no Electric weaknesses, the opponent won't be using Electric attacks for you to switch in to much. Meaning that the one niche that this has is pretty much outclassed. I suggest changing this to something else. At the very least, make him not your lead; he doesn't do anything a lead needs to do (set up entry hazards or prevent the opponent from doing the same, generally). Make Swampert your lead.

Garchomp - Garchomp is not allowed on OU play. If you are playing something else, please explicitly state so at the top of your post.
If Garchomp IS allowed, this moveset is terrible. Garchomp's best three movesets are as follows: Yache Berry Swords Dancer (Swords Dance/Yache Berry/Earthquake/Fire Fang or Fire Blast), Choice Scarf (Outrage/Earthquake/Dragon Claw or Stone Edge/Fire Fang or Blast or Overheat), and Chain Chomp (Swords Dance/Fire Blast/Draco Meteor/Earthquake, designed to make people think it is the first set and then nail their counter on the switch-in the second time he is in). Any way you look at it though, he NEEDS Earthquake. Earthquake is arguably the best move in the game (100 power, 100 accuracy, hits a lot of things Super Effective, not resisted by much besides flyers/levitators) and Garchomp gets STAB on it.
If Garchomp is NOT allowed, I suggest Flygon in his place. Same type, similarly high attack and Speed, though worse defenses and no Swords Dance. Choice Band or Choice Scarf are good moves on Flygon.

On Swampert your EVs are Terrible. He has two special attacks but full physical attack EVs. He also has a lot of speed, even though it won't get him anywhere with his base speed as low as it is. Move all of his EVs into HP and Defenses, maybe with a little Special attack.

SpecsLucario is always a decent choice, as everyone expects the Swords Dancer, but your moveset needs some work. Aura Sphere + Shadow Ball already hits everything at least neutral, so you get some freedom with your other two attacks. However, Psychic and Flash Cannon don't get very good coverage or have much utility. I suggest HP Ice or Rock, which can nail some of his common switch-ins, and Vacuum Wave or Close Combat. The first can be used to revenge kill some threats or sweep a heavily weakened team. The second, with a neutral nature (so you will need to switch to one that lowers one of his defenses rather than Attack) will do 85-100% to 0 HP/252 Def Calm Blissey, OHKOing her most of the time with Stealth Rocks on the field, which can be great for surprising her and getting a KO when she thinks she can wall your Specs set.

As for your Ghost conundrum, I highly recommend Rotom-H with a Choice Scarf, as it is great for checking a lot of common threats in this metagame.

Also on Porgon-z, you want either a Timid or Modest Nature, not a Neutral/Neutral one, and which ability are you using?

Welcome! And don't worry-we were all novice at some point or other!
~Electivire isn't a good lead. Since you already have Swampert to set-up Stealth Rocks, try this insted:
@Light Clay
Inner Focus trait, Timid nature
252HP/40SpA/218Spe
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Taunt
~Psychic
To quote yourself:
But I am concerned with my blatant reliance on glass cannons with this team
This is sure a help-Taunt the likes of Azelf to prevent them from setting-up SRs and their own dual Screens, and aid you sweepers by giving them an easier setup. Psychic is there so Alakazam won;t be wasting that amazing SPA stat!
~Yes, Garchomp is banned. So, use this insted:
@Life Orb
Naughty nature
232Atk/26SpA/252Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
Thanks to dual-Screens, Salamance will setup with much more safety, giving you a potential for a sweep; just make sure to eliminate Weavile and Mamoswine before using Outrage!
~Use EQ>Roar for Swampert. Also 240HP/218Def/52SpA.
~Flash Cannon has bad coverage, despite STAB; use this insted:
@Choice Specs
Inner Focus trait, Timid/Modest nature
6HP/252SpA/252Spe
~Aura Sphere
~Shadow Ball
~HP Ice
~Vacuum Wave
~PorygonZ's most popular set as of now this Choice Scarf:
@Choice Scarf
Adapatability trait, Modest nature
6Def/252SpA/252Spe
~Tri Attack
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
I don't reccomend HP Fighting, as it will make unable to outrun Timid/Navie Scarf Heatran due to the IV drop.
~Due to your team beeing moire special-based, use either Weavile, Mamoswine or Scizor for the last team member:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/weavile
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mamoswine
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/scizor

you may wish to read the RMT rules mainly #2

if the uberness of chomp isent a problem you cant miss out on STAB Earthquake its too good a weapon to leave out also use a choice scarf to outspeed a huge number of pokes

with swampert swap the EV's around for the defencive set listed on the analysis and change roar to protect and you got yourself a far better lead then what you currently have.

with Electivire you really shouled have something thats trying to get Thunderbolt'ed currently you have 3 electric resists icn vire and nothing weak to it which seams a waste possibly try a Satk baised Mixape with the standerd set of Close combat/Grassknot/HPice(or stone edge if cant breed for it)/fireBlast

Why does Swampert have special attacks and a 252 ATTACK EV's? And if its relaxed why give it speed?

Well, its not a matter of whether or not I want a beneficial nature with porygon, I only have acess to that specific one and his spAtk is already 31 and only below one with a beneficial nature by like 8 points when both are fully ev trained. To me, just taking something that is already amazing seems like the best option as opposed to trying to breed until I get something that is a good nature, nevermind the IVs. I can't even bother with HP for those same reasons.

I didn't initially say that I knew garchomp was banned because I thought that was pretty standard knowledge and so my posting him on my team would, I would think, imply that I'm not concerned with that. Sorry bout that.

Anyway, I see what you guys are saying regarding the ton of electric resistances and that was actually something I was thinking about last night as I thought about this team, but I wasn't entirely sure whether or not that was a bad thing.

I don't think I'll be using electivire, then....I was considering Tyranitar but I wasn't sure where to place him....assuming I use the following, though, I get a fairly diverse typing with my moves...and If I put swampert on lead, then perhaps would this work in electivire's place?

Brave Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
stone edge
crunch
fire blast
ice beam

I like choice specs t-tar but I'm not entirely sure which one of the previous would be more beneficial to my team--tyranitar seems way better suited to be physical, no?

It seems I'm misguided but to me vacuum wave doesn't seem like a very good move, so why is it so popular with lucario, who is already a fast beast who, to me, wouldn't/shouldn't be all to concerned with whether or not a dinky 40 power move hits first or not? What is the reasoning behind that move being so popular?

Also whoops I wrote down the wrong EV spread for Swampert xD

Thanks for the help guys.

It seems I'm misguided but to me vacuum wave doesn't seem like a very good move, so why is it so popular with lucario, who is already a fast beast who, to me, wouldn't/shouldn't be all to concerned with whether or not a dinky 40 power move hits first or not? What is the reasoning behind that move being so popular?
Lucario only has a base 90 speed. It's not all that fast compared to the top offensive OU threats. Vacuum wave may seem like poor base power, but add a STAB on top of it, and you have a great tool for switching in on lower HP pokemon that need killing fast.
Having a move that guarantees a hit first can turn the tide of a battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)