Need help actually finalizing a team.

Lately, I've been in a lot of grief over what pokemon to use for VGCs and I keep on bugging the person I'm getting the pokemon from over it, so I thought it would be best to make an RMT of what I'm asking for and just let public criticism take its course.

Medicham (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Fun Facts about Medicham: After LOrb boosts and the boost given by Pure Power, Drain Punch is capable of OHKOing Tyranitar through the Chople Berry while Zen Headbutt, even if she is using a Jolly Nature over Adamant, is capable of OHKOing Hitmontop even after Intimidate reduces her Attack to -1. Fake Out gives Zapdos the chance to set up Tailwind while Ice Punch just gives it something to use against Dragon and Grass types since you can't really exploit Electric weaknesses as much nowadays.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Tailwind

One of the main pokemon I have to help deal with the dreaded ZapTop combo. After a -1 LOrb Fake Out from Medicham due to Intimidate interference, Electric Gem Thunderbolt has about a 70% chance of KOing Smogon Standard Zapdos even if Fake Out does the minimum damage. Heat Wave keeps him from being completely walled by the likes of Excadrill and Ferrothorn. HP Grass is there because I've been seeing Gastrodon as an annoyance whenever Zapdos has to go against it.

Politoed (M) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Perish Song
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Just one of the 2 weather starters I use to mess with weather teams. Scald and Ice Beam make up the typical generic moveset you would see on your typical pure Water type. Protect is standard in VGCs. I've been debating whether or not I should have HP Grass on him as well so he isn't walled by Gastrodon or just give him Perish Song to help cinch wins at the end.

Tyranitar (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Protect
- Low Kick

One of the other weather starters that I mentioned before and one of my Tailwind sweepers. I had a Focus Sash left over and I didn't feel like letting it go to waste, so I decided to give it to Tyranitar since the Chople Berry wasn't really helping and pretty much everything runs either the maximum speed or the minimum speed. Rock Slide and Crunch are its STABs of choice while Low Kick keeps the likes of Terrakion from walking over him.

Volcarona (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

A general Fire Sweeper that I got just for this team. Normally, I'm against the use of Fire in rain, but since Volcarona isn't heavily reliant on his Fire STAB thanks to Bug Buzz and Hurricane works so well in the rain, I decided to give it a shot. HP Ice lets him hit Dragons and other pokemon who would've otherwise walled this set and struck back with Rock moves.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 150 Def / 108 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The final pokemon of this team and my answer to lovers of Trick Room teams. Thanks to the amazing bulk that Ferrothorn has and his ability, physical pokemon lacking the suffient STABs will find themselves being walled easily while their health is sapped away by Leech Seed. Gyro Ball takes full advantage of his terrible speed while Power Whip just gives me a more dedicated option for dealing with Water types.

This is the whole team. I'll be back soon to add the wonderful pictures that everyone loves. You can blame technical difficulties for their absence.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd consider Protect instead of Ice Punch on Medicham. It's not exactly the bulkiest mon out there, you have two other Ice attackers, and it gets good coverage with just its STABs.

Go for Perish Song on Politoed; it's a great clutch move that most players won't be prepared to deal with, and HP Grass is pretty meh against anything not named Gastrodon coming off Politoed's average SpA, plus you have two other Grass attackers.

Rather than have two competing weather starters, how about Unnerve on Tyranitar? Your team doesn't benefit from sand at all and you have a pretty good matchup against other rain teams. Sure, you lose Low Kick, but with Chople Berry out of the picture Brick Break should be good enough against most of the stuff you'd want to hit anyway.

For Volcarona, try Fire Blast instead of Heat Wave. Pretty much the only reason you'll use a Fire move in rain is to blow up Ferrothorn, Scizor, etc. and Heat Wave's lower power often won't cut it.

Looks like a pretty good team overall. Good luck at VGC!

I know you're paranoid about Gastrodon and the like, but I think three Pokes with Grass coverage is a wee bit repetitive considering it doesn't have the greatest coverage in the world. Mabye give HP Flying to Zapdos, having dual STAB with it is awesome.

Definitely go with Perish Song on Politoed, since probably changing Zapdos' IVs now would be too much of a hassle.

But agreeing with voodoo here, nice team you got. It's nice to see unique things like Medicham show up and take people off-guard.

I really like your team! What regional are you going to if you don't mind me asking :)

I like that you're using such a underused mon like Medichan but maybe you should consider something like Weavile? Weavile does every thing Medichan does but a little better. Weavile has the same attack stat as Chan after pure power and a better defensive spread and STAB Ice Punch. Weavile's low kick also KOs Terrakion and Tyranitar. I do understand why you would want to use Medichan though, Weavile's weaknesses are all very very common. Just something to think about :)

I really like your team! What regional are you going to if you don't mind me asking :)

I like that you're using such a underused mon like Medichan but maybe you should consider something like Weavile? Weavile does every thing Medichan does but a little better. Weavile has the same attack stat as Chan after pure power and a better defensive spread and STAB Ice Punch. Weavile's low kick also KOs Terrakion and Tyranitar. I do understand why you would want to use Medichan though, Weavile's weaknesses are all very very common. Just something to think about :)
I'm going to the Athens Regional.

Actually, Medicham's stat is quite a bit higher. I think you're not taking into account that it also doubles any IV/EV investment.
You're totally right, I did forget about the EVs.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Medicham. His attack stat is higher and has a better type for VGC.

thanks for the correction :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)