Walrus Myzozoa's Walrus Redux: Humbug Ball (Won by Shubaka)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
and we're off in last place:

Lectrys

http://musicdirectltd.com/music/17b/09.mp3

Heart of the city- this aint the Jay-Z song. Uh hmm, not really my fav way of balancing or creating a concert band sound, it just feels too frantic, and divided, like there is a lot going on, but what does any of it mean? P sure the quiet section will be better when it comes. I can predict this song so easily, if i do say so myself as I sit here listening to it. Come on you cant tell my you actually liked the first 3 minutes of this: nothing happens literally nothing is described and nothing changes. Quiet section finally comes at 3:34 and it is predictably better. The solo soprano sax portion is horrible and exposed tho, and then it is back to the main theme. 3.3/10, this type of music is super underrated for sure, but not this piece

Myzozoa

next;

Mynameisnothing-Brockhampton-boogie

I didnt enjoy this one, maybe it is supposed to be satirical but the beat is still amateurish at times. 4/10

Myzozoa

next martin

Amber-shake that brass

I mean I guess there is brass in this and prominently, but it doesn’t actually do much with it, and it is actually a little annoying. The final minute is really good, I guess it took a while to get there, why cant it be good all the way through? 6.6/10

Myzozoa

then

snype

Bloody well right-super tramp

Super tramp ok, here we go. Love the keyboard solo at the start, super chill. The song that comes after is ok. Horns barely present when they do show up theyre immediately taken over by guitar. Song did make me snort a little, but it’s not really about anything as far as I can tell. The ending is on a decent but not stand out sax solo. 7.2/10 didnt grab me, but fun.

Myzozoa

and next, soul fly

Banda Magda- El Pescador (yerakina)

Not a huge fan of the mixing on this one. The ensemble singing is also not my fav. Singing overall is on the better side of questionable, which is a good thing since Im mainly wondering if the singer had another take if she wouldn’t have the 3 flubs I caught. Honestly probs wouldnt catch them unless I could literally see them in the video when she was singing. 7.3/10

Myzozoa

then
Tejas

The point of no return-down once more

Starts off weird. Not a huge fan of this singing, but it is a decent orchestra line and has the all important strong ending. 7.4/10

Myzozoa

and then

A tie for 10th

rodan and omfuga:

first rodan

Twista-overnight celebrity

Twista and kanye, just like slow jamz, what a pander... It gets pretty good when ye comes in, but twista is kinda annoying and it’s really disorganized before that. Pretty strong for the last 2 mins. 7.5/10.

Omfuga
smooth operator- sade

This is a song ive heard a few times. It’s a little boring at times, but the chorus is classic and if you like smooth saxophone lines this is right for you. 7.5

Myzozoa

next eren

Yael Naim- New Soul

A little obnoxious, but interesting composition, there is a brass choir or maybe even a full bigband (cant tell) backing up the folksy vocal+guitar melody. Super interesting switch to the bridge. I feel like the singing is weaker after the bridge, but shes very good and demonstrates a lot of independence which is important for a vocalist. End on a choir line that isnt too interesting. 7.6/10

Myzozoa

next asek

The impression that i get- the mighty mighty bosstones

Hot guitar and bass tracks, horns blend into it, which is a little disappointing. Lyrics are fine, but not especially gripping. The composition really comes together for me, a fun song. Stays interesting throughout, lots of cool sections, this would make a great song to cover. 7.9/10

Myzozoa

in 6th knights of cydonia

PoMo Jukebox- Jolene

This song sucks, so pomo better make it good! And it did 8/10. Very Calamity Jane, shes really in love w Jolene. No str8 girl issues is my motto for 2018.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

next in 5th,

walrein

This is exactly what this cat is asking for. The jazz choir is correct here, you can hear how good they sound on the parts of this track where they aren’t covered up by singing. I can’t believe ppl still make music like this 8.1/10, singing isn’t great, neither is the drumming, but the horns and bass are so tight who is listening to anything else?

Myzozoa

in 4th Shubaku

‘It wasnt me’-po mo

I love po mo, but i hate ‘it wasn’t me’ so that definitely colors my rate. This is a really strong candidate for a song for po-mo jukebox. 8.3/10. Not the strongest pomo singing ive seen and it is repetitive. Dont think it is that interesting as a hydra song, but still fire.

Shubaku is an interesting person that truly practices the principle of ‘judge not, lest ye be judged’. The title of their submission pm was “sometimes i wonder what you're like in real life, to make your internet persona so Complete but your presence so fractured” lol, good on u for getting your judgements about me in before my judgement about ur music.

Myzozoa

next a tie for 3rd

with 8.4

tcr and pdc

first pdc
Rolling stones bitch

Ok this actually has a rare good guitar track for the rolling stones. Cant understand the singer, but it’s ok i google the lyrics and am pleasantly surprised that I can actually get behind these lyrics which are extremely well done. 8.4/10 this song is hella gay:

“Yeah when you lay me out

My heart is beating louder than a big bass drum, alright

Yeah, you got to mix it, child, you got to fix

It must be love, it's a bitch”

And now years later we have Kesha.

then tcr:

Portugal.the man-sleep forever

Beginning is very smashing pumpkins meets Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy page, strongest beginning so far. Precision guitaring on this one. Not sure how it’s gonna go with a 13 min track. The track gets weaker after the strong intro when it has a shift to a more orchestra prominent section, but don’t worry the guitar comes back. Strong cellos for sure, but they aren’t sticking around and the orchestra part of this is pretty boring to me. Btw best video ive watched so far w the dogs. The guitar feature section that comes next is eh. Lyrics are ok for me, not gripping tho. Then it ends all of a sudden at 6 mins?? Before it does end, the guitars and strings get super tight, really loved that instrumentation. Comes back I guess on Foghorn+Bells, IDGI. Well theyre serving straight up bjork hottness for the second part of this video that resumes at 8:36. NVM thats a different song, might have scored higher lol. 8.4/10

Myzozoa

and in 2nd by quite a ways:

Alfons

Robert Alfons

Otis Redding- A Change is Gonna Come

8.5- piano steals it from the horns, still this is an amazing track.

Myzozoa

in first with by far the best submit if the cat:

Llamas

Machine-mister Wives

Ayyye. ‘I only did this to be sane, not for you to know my name’, this song is returning fire. That laughter near the end. Just because no 10s in round 1, and 9.9 is a dumb looking score, while this is a seriously good song, 9.8/10.

and we're off in last place:

Lectrys

http://musicdirectltd.com/music/17b/09.mp3

Heart of the city- this aint the Jay-Z song. Uh hmm, not really my fav way of balancing or creating a concert band sound, it just feels too frantic, and divided, like there is a lot going on, but what does any of it mean? P sure the quiet section will be better when it comes. I can predict this song so easily, if i do say so myself as I sit here listening to it. Come on you cant tell my you actually liked the first 3 minutes of this: nothing happens literally nothing is described and nothing changes. Quiet section finally comes at 3:34 and it is predictably better. The solo soprano sax portion is horrible and exposed tho, and then it is back to the main theme. 3.3/10, this type of music is super underrated for sure, but not this piece
The outer sections are the best, IMO. Strong rhythms, a little soaring in the major-key phrases, and a nice drive. I actually like the middle sections less, although the sleazy slow section does sound like it could take place in its own building.

Myzozoa

next

Snype

Mcr-famous last words

Really hate this singing at the start and all the way through. Lyrics are a mixed bag, but the instrumentation is passable. Overall im bored by the first love thematics. 6.3/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)