Move/Ability animations thread

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
I feel like Body Slam doesn't try to "Slam" the foe in a way it tries to squish him. More like, charge at him with its Body............................Slam.
Heavy Slam is a more aggressive looking move, it's powerful too (depending on the weight of the attacker), but I assume people here on PS won't use this move poorly

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
body slam does double damage to minimized foes (the same way as steamroller / stomp), so it does "squish" them

the animation actually shows the opponent being squished

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i know that the body slam animation is true to the source material by flattening the opponent...but it currently looks mildly comedic rather than threatening. it's bothering me because RBY is filled with body slam users, and it's seen in every game. it feels silly playing tauros dittos and repeatedly flatten the opponent in a sorta clunky way. could you consider reworking it?

nitpick end. thanks for your hard work

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
i know that the body slam animation is true to the source material by flattening the opponent...but it currently looks mildly comedic rather than threatening. it's bothering me because RBY is filled with body slam users, and it's seen in every game. it feels silly playing tauros dittos and repeatedly flatten the opponent in a sorta clunky way. could you consider reworking it?

nitpick end. thanks for your hard work
I tried making the move animate in one way for Gens till the 4th, but it doesn't look like the engine was made to make this kind of stuff, so, I guess I'm holding off this request. Besides, it's just getting a bit squishy. It's not that bad.

EDIT: While experimenting with Body Slam, it seems I broke it on my end.
EDIT2: Only way I got it to work was by making a separate animation from Heavy Slam. Weird. Need to figure out why that happened
EDIT3: Here's a preview on the Sunsteel Strike animation. It still needs a lot of work:

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Could the "beam" work in the opposite direction? Since it's a draining move it should move away from the target. You can kinda see how it works in this gif

it looks like energy moving away from the target back up the beam.

Also more red than orange would look nicer too to match Yveltal / the actual colour

Ridaz

Don't @ me
There are no red particles available, and I'm not getting one specifically for Oblivion Wing
The beam at the start does come from Yveltal, but some purple particles come from the defender. I'll see what I can do

Again, I remind everyone that we're not obligated to copy how it looks in-game. We just have to make it look good and intuitive

EDIT: I've been making some polls, between the 2 animations, and looks like the 2nd one won on all polls. Besides, I personally like the 2nd one too

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uhh the new Superpower animation is really bad, it doesn't even show the actual power the move is supposed to bring. I hope that it's changed back to the previous one

Reactions: TPP

Ridaz

Don't @ me
I'm aware. A bunch of other moves are also broken. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong
EDIT: I think I figured out why and Marty fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Just wait the client to be updated, and it'll all be fixed

Animations are fixed

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me

Updates would probably be nice for Thousand Arrows/Waves (especially Arrows)

I had something set up for Waves that kinda works just by swapping the dirt from EQ out for green blobs here but idk if it's good http://imgur.com/1duIZI4
I was thinking of using part of Surf/Muddy Water/Sludge Wave animation for Thousand Waves and for Thousand Arrows, part of the Eruption/Water Spout animation. I'll get on that later on

Ridaz

Don't @ me

• Hone Claws now uses the Rock Polish animation;
  • I reorganized the todo list in the OP

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Bad news: I can't animate the ability Swarm Change like I wanted it to. Something is breaking and I don't know what is, meaning that it's going to take a while (a couple of weeks).
EDIT: Disregard this. I'm retarded

In the meantime; Marty was testing the ability activation, so here's a sneak peak on how Swarm Change will look like:

Note: I'm using the Mega Evolution bit as a placeholder

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
2nd one looks more fitting as Thousand Waves crawls across the ground ingame

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Looks like people are upset over the new(?) Volt Switch, so I've given an option between the current one, and this one I made recently:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)